8.1.4 Export snapshot

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Mac OS 10.7.8

in LC 7.1.4 if I type this sort of thing into the Message box:

export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG

it exports a snapshot of my group!

But that doesn't work in 8.1.4.

Re: 8.1.4 Export snapshot

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 > Mac OS 10.7.8
 >
 > in LC 7.1.4 if I type this sort of thing into the Message box:
 >
 > export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
 >
 > it exports a snapshot of my group!
 >
 > But that doesn't work in 8.1.4.

FWIW it works for me in 8.1.5rc2 on Ubuntu 14.04.

Re: 8.1.4 Export snapshot

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
This looks like it may be a bug on Mac OS, or just a difference in the way the OS works.

I see the same problem using LC 8.1.5(rc1) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4, but if I give the file a more complete path (which I would normally do), then it does work:

export snapshot from group "abc" to file "/Users/paulhibbert/Desktop/abc.png" as PNG

However, I would have expected an error or at least something in the result with your example, but they were both empty when I tried:

on mouseUp

   try

      export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG

   catch tError

   end try

put "The Result:" & the result && "Error:" & tError

end mouseUp

Are you going to file a bug report?

Paul

> On Jun 28, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mac OS 10.7.8
>
> in LC 7.1.4 if I type this sort of thing into the Message box:
>
> export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
>
> it exports a snapshot of my group!
>
> But that doesn't work in 8.1.4.
>
> Richmond.

Re: 8.1.4 Export snapshot

On 6/28/17 7:45 pm, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode wrote:

> This looks like it may be a bug on Mac OS, or just a difference in the way the OS works.
>
> I see the same problem using LC 8.1.5(rc1) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4, but if I give the file a more complete path (which I would normally do), then it does work:
>
> export snapshot from group "abc" to file "/Users/paulhibbert/Desktop/abc.png" as PNG
>
> However, I would have expected an error or at least something in the result with your example, but they were both empty when I tried:
>
> on mouseUp
>
>     try
>
>        export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
>
>     catch tError
>
>     end try
>
> put "The Result:" & the result && "Error:" & tError
>
> end mouseUp
>
> Are you going to file a bug report?

No, I don't think I can as I'm not entirely sure how well Mac OS 10.7.8
will go down in Edinburgh.

Richmond.

> Paul
>

>> On Jun 28, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Mac OS 10.7.8
>>
>> in LC 7.1.4 if I type this sort of thing into the Message box:
>>
>> export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
>>
>> it exports a snapshot of my group!
>>
>> But that doesn't work in 8.1.4.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: 8.1.4 Export snapshot

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hi all,

I have tried in LC 8.1.5 RC-2:

export snapshot from Field 1 to file "File1.png" as PNG

This works as expected, and creates a "File1.png" in **the defaultFolder**
(in my case in /Applications/LiveCode Indy 8.1.5 (rc 2).app)

@Paul
Can you "put the defaultFolder", and check if there is a file "abc.png" in
it?

@Richmond
Every bug report on a supported platform (including Mac OS 10.7.8, in LC
8.x) "goes down well" in Edinburgh :)

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 7:26 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6/28/17 7:45 pm, Paul Hibbert via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> This looks like it may be a bug on Mac OS, or just a difference in the
>> way the OS works.
>>
>> I see the same problem using LC 8.1.5(rc1) on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4, but
>> if I give the file a more complete path (which I would normally do), then
>> it does work:
>>
>> export snapshot from group "abc" to file "/Users/paulhibbert/Desktop/abc.png"
>> as PNG
>>
>> However, I would have expected an error or at least something in the
>> result with your example, but they were both empty when I tried:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>>
>>     try
>>
>>        export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
>>
>>     catch tError
>>
>>     end try
>>
>> put "The Result:" & the result && "Error:" & tError
>>
>> end mouseUp
>>
>> Are you going to file a bug report?
>>

> No, I don't think I can as I'm not entirely sure how well Mac OS 10.7.8
> will go down in Edinburgh.
>
> Richmond.
>

>> Paul
>>

>> On Jun 28, 2017, at 1:58 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mac OS 10.7.8
>>>
>>> in LC 7.1.4 if I type this sort of thing into the Message box:
>>>
>>> export snapshot from group "abc" to file "abc.png" as PNG
>>>
>>> it exports a snapshot of my group!
>>>
>>> But that doesn't work in 8.1.4.
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: 8.1.4 Export snapshot

Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

I’ve just come to the same conclusion, when I checked the LC app bundle, the test files were in there. A search in the Mac Finder doesn’t reveal files inside the app bundle, so this is where I went wrong until the penny dropped!

Setting the default folder first does remedy the problem of knowing where the files end up if you don’t specify a file path.

This is an example of, why reading the notes in the dictionary more thoroughly could relieve some frustration! :)

Paul

Paul
[hidden email]

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1