9.0 Crashes Constantluy

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
9.0 gm is the most unstable version in a long time

Constantly crash on exit.

I set break point, set to debug mode, run script… it does not break that break point… run it again, crash.
Scripts are setting, applied "green button" close, saved. Re-opened "what happened to my changes?"

Anyone else having these problem?

Look like I have to go back to 8.1.9 to get work done.

BR

Re: 9.0 Crashes Constantluy

On 04/10/2018 08:47 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode wrote:

> Anyone else having these problem?

I was having some similar problems last night. Then I closed LC9,
launched 8.1.9, closed that and relaunched 9 and the problems magically
disappeared. When I was having trouble I noticed that attempting to save
the stack I was working on was actually trying to save

"/Users/ben/.../revsav/..." and more characters that disappeared off the
edge of the dialog.

I assume that's why changes didn't get saved.

Re: 9.0 Crashes Constantluy

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
BR:
I have not tried to build standalones during the last few releases, but with the latest 9.0.0, I am. I notice that when I build my standalone, it loads all of the stacks in the “Stacks” list (in standalone settings. Also, I use a splash stack approach) and leaves them in memory. So, when I want to do a debug after building and trying the standalone, I have all of my stacks loaded and it interferes with my workflow. I’d really like the project to return to the state I started with. It also seems to run scripts in my project which sets various globals. Note: I have implemented Panos’ suggestion to test for the mode of stack “revStandaloneProgress”.  I have a script that returns the project to it’s initial state, but to be safe, I find this behavior forces me to quit livecode and reload it, to make sure my project is returned to its initial state for continued debugging.

This seems like an undesirable behavior. I can live with it, but ….

Best,
Bill

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 8:47 AM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 9.0 gm is the most unstable version in a long time
>
> Constantly crash on exit.
>
> I set break point, set to debug mode, run script… it does not break that break point… run it again, crash.
> Scripts are setting, applied "green button" close, saved. Re-opened "what happened to my changes?"
>
> Anyone else having these problem?
>
> Look like I have to go back to 8.1.9 to get work done.
>
> BR

Re: 9.0 Crashes Constantluy

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
This is the same issue I have been talking about for over a year. The standalone builder opens the *copied* stacks in memory and doesn't close them, so the next time you build for another platform you run into duplicate stack issues. This started happening around v7 I think. The workaround at present is to build for one platform only, and quit LC each time. I suppose you could have a script that purges the openStacks and unregisters any libraries (stacksInUse) but that would cause plugin issues, unless you accounted for those.

Bob S

> On Apr 10, 2018, at 09:29 , William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BR:
> I have not tried to build standalones during the last few releases, but with the latest 9.0.0, I am. I notice that when I build my standalone, it loads all of the stacks in the “Stacks” list (in standalone settings. Also, I use a splash stack approach) and leaves them in memory. So, when I want to do a debug after building and trying the standalone, I have all of my stacks loaded and it interferes with my workflow. I’d really like the project to return to the state I started with. It also seems to run scripts in my project which sets various globals. Note: I have implemented Panos’ suggestion to test for the mode of stack “revStandaloneProgress”.  I have a script that returns the project to it’s initial state, but to be safe, I find this behavior forces me to quit livecode and reload it, to make sure my project is returned to its initial state for continued debugging.
>
> This seems like an undesirable behavior. I can live with it, but ….
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero

Re: 9.0 Crashes Constantluy

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I have never seen this through 8.1.8.

But all my stacks that I make standalones from are set to destroy
themselves. Is that possibly the reason?

Craig Newman

Re: 9.0 Crashes Constantluy

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I confirmed it this morning, edit script, apply, save, close the stack,

I been building Android, so much faster than iOS.   Run standlone from the Test menu.

then, magically, tragically, the debugger opens showing my old script there!

quit LC, reboot, and you script is there… Even quitting LC doesn't preserve your can changes.

Back to 8.1.9