9.0???

Mike Kerner
Whoa.  They're working on LC 9 (rubs hands together while quietly
snickering to self)

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: 9.0???

Peter TB Brett
On 30/09/2016 16:53, Mike Kerner wrote:
> Whoa.  They're working on LC 9 (rubs hands together while quietly
> snickering to self)

All will soon be revealed!

                                    Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: 9.0???

Mike Kerner
heh.  heh.  heh.  TOYS!

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 30/09/2016 16:53, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> Whoa.  They're working on LC 9 (rubs hands together while quietly
>> snickering to self)
>>

> All will soon be revealed!
>
>                                    Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: 9.0???

dunbarxx
Working on v.9?

A bit premature, I think. Though surely thinking about v9 is exciting...

Perhaps the tools palette can be prettified in that release?

Craig Newman

Re: 9.0???

Mike Kerner
If I was a betting man, I would bet that the work that has been going on
under the hood is being done to make the fluff on top
easier/faster/cheaper/better to work on.

On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM, dunbarx <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Working on v.9?
>
> A bit premature, I think. Though surely thinking about v9 is exciting...
>
> Perhaps the tools palette can be prettified in that release?
>
> Craig Newman

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: 9.0???

Richmond Mathewson-2
Why do I get a funny feeling that those numbers (6,7,8,9 . . .) get
closer and closer together.

Is this supposed to give the impression of a logarhythmic curve of
features and development?

Why does it make me ask a few questions I'm not going to write here
because I don't
want to be categorised as a sour-puss?

Richmond.

On 30.09.2016 18:53, Mike Kerner wrote:
> Whoa.  They're working on LC 9 (rubs hands together while quietly
> snickering to self)

hh

Re: 9.0???

hh
Richmond M. wrote:
> Why do I get a funny feeling that those numbers (6,7,8,9 ...)
> get closer and closer together.

The relative growth of the version numbers is strictly decreasing,
for example from 5 to 6 there was an increase of 20%, from 8 to 9
there will be an increase of 12.5% only. So, in order to keep the
LC version number growth per month at least at a _constant_ rate,
they have to increase the version numbers faster and faster.
Hard job ;-)

Re: 9.0???

Dave Kilroy
Hermann I think that is the wittiest reply on this uselist for ages!

Very nicely played :)

> The relative growth of the version numbers is strictly decreasing,
> for example from 5 to 6 there was an increase of 20%, from 8 to 9
> there will be an increase of 12.5% only. So, in order to keep the
> LC version number growth per month at least at a _constant_ rate,
> they have to increase the version numbers faster and faster.
> Hard job ;-)

Peter M. Brigham

Re: 9.0???

Richmond Mathewson-2
The main question that worries me is what happens when the
curve of the graph approaches a vertical line :P

Richmond.

On 1.10.2016 13:24, Dave Kilroy wrote:

> Hermann I think that is the wittiest reply on this uselist for ages!
>
> Very nicely played :)
>

>> The relative growth of the version numbers is strictly decreasing,
>> for example from 5 to 6 there was an increase of 20%, from 8 to 9
>> there will be an increase of 12.5% only. So, in order to keep the
>> LC version number growth per month at least at a _constant_ rate,
>> they have to increase the version numbers faster and faster.
>> Hard job ;-)

Re: 9.0???

Lyn Teyla
Richmond wrote:

> The main question that worries me is what happens when the
> curve of the graph approaches a vertical line :P

The team has foreseen this issue, hence the Infinite LiveCode campaign.

Lyn

Re: 9.0???

Dave Kilroy
…and beyond?

> The team has foreseen this issue, hence the Infinite LiveCode campaign.
Peter M. Brigham

Re: 9.0???

Richmond Mathewson-2
By "...and beyond" I take it you mean that the curve will turn back on
itself . . .

Richmond.

On 1.10.2016 16:06, Dave Kilroy wrote:
> …and beyond?
>
>> The team has foreseen this issue, hence the Infinite LiveCode campaign.

Re: 9.0???

J. Landman Gay
Cf: Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story, "To infinity and beyond!"

On October 1, 2016 11:23:37 AM Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By "...and beyond" I take it you mean that the curve will turn back on
> itself . . .
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 1.10.2016 16:06, Dave Kilroy wrote:
>> …and beyond?
>>
>>> The team has foreseen this issue, hence the Infinite LiveCode campaign.

Re: 9.0???

Peter Bogdanoff
It will be a bell curve. Things will slow down around LC20.

Peter

On Oct 1, 2016, at 10:47 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cf: Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story, "To infinity and beyond!"

> On October 1, 2016 11:23:37 AM Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> By "...and beyond" I take it you mean that the curve will turn back on
>> itself . . .
>>
>> Richmond.
>>
>> On 1.10.2016 16:06, Dave Kilroy wrote:
>>> …and beyond?

Re: 9.0???

Richmond Mathewson-2
Ding-Dong, the wicked witch is dead?

Richmond.

On 1.10.2016 20:52, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:

> It will be a bell curve. Things will slow down around LC20.
>
> Peter
>
> On Oct 1, 2016, at 10:47 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Cf: Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story, "To infinity and beyond!"

>> On October 1, 2016 11:23:37 AM Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> By "...and beyond" I take it you mean that the curve will turn back on
>>> itself . . .
>>>
>>> Richmond.

Re: 9.0???

pmbrig
By LC20 I’ll expect that creating a new app will go something like this:

“computer, create new app for tracking my B & B rentals.”
“what input modes will you want?”
“verbal, database, keyboard”
“integrate with AirBNB?”
“yes"
“name of app?”
“MyGuests”
“Done. You may begin using the MyGuests app now.”

— Peter

Peter M. Brigham
[hidden email]

> On Oct 1, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ding-Dong, the wicked witch is dead?
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 1.10.2016 20:52, Peter Bogdanoff wrote:
>> It will be a bell curve. Things will slow down around LC20.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On Oct 1, 2016, at 10:47 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Cf: Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story, "To infinity and beyond!"
>>>

>>> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email]
>>> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Re: 9.0???

Roger Eller
On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Peter M. Brigham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> By LC20 I’ll expect that creating a new app will go something like this:
>
> “computer, create new app for tracking my B & B rentals.”
> “what input modes will you want?”
> “verbal, database, keyboard”
> “integrate with AirBNB?”
> “yes"
> “name of app?”
> “MyGuests”
> “Done. You may begin using the MyGuests app now.”
>
> — Peter
>
> Peter M. Brigham
> [hidden email]

Here's how it will really go...

“computer, create new app for tracking my B & B rentals.”
“what input modes will you want?”
“verbal, database, keyboard”
“Creating herbal Santa face beat chord.”
(Christmas music begins to play while an herbal fragrance is sprayed into
your face)

~Roger

Re: 9.0???

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Peter,

pmbrig wrote
By LC20 I’ll expect that creating a new app
will go something like this:

“computer, create new app for tracking my B & B rentals.”
“what input modes will you want?”
“verbal, database, keyboard”
“integrate with AirBNB?”
“yes"
“name of app?”
“MyGuests”
“Done. You may begin using the MyGuests app now.”
Hopefully, this will be a feature of Livecode 10 :-D

Alejandro

Re: 9.0???

Mike Kerner
Perhaps you should have a look at what's coming in 9 before you laugh at
it.  The last three major versions brought major changes.  9 is
kinda important.

On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 5:07 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>

> pmbrig wrote
> > By LC20 I’ll expect that creating a new app
> > will go something like this:
> >
> > “computer, create new app for tracking my B & B rentals.”
> > “what input modes will you want?”
> > “verbal, database, keyboard”
> > “integrate with AirBNB?”
> > “yes"
> > “name of app?”
> > “MyGuests”
> > “Done. You may begin using the MyGuests app now.”
>
> Hopefully, this will be a feature of Livecode 10 :-D
>
> Alejandro

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
hh

Re: 9.0???

hh
Mike K. wrote:
> Perhaps you should have a look at what's coming in 9 before you laugh at it.
> The last three major versions brought major changes.  9 is kinda important.

Hi Mike,

as far as I can see nobody really laughed at the possible contents of 9.
The matter of 'jokes' was the speed of version numbering, big difference.

For example I stay as long as possible with 0 as first version number.
The next step to 1 is a relative increase of infty percent!
What a feeling!!!
Compared to that the 100% jump from 1 to 2 is a rather ordinary version
number growth.

We all are looking forward to 9 (or 'only' 8.5). It's content that matters!

Hermann