A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
I have the following script to clear fields on marked cards:

on mouseUp
   repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cards
      repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card y
         if the short name of field u CONTAINS "field" then put empty into field u
      end repeat
   end repeat
end mouseUp

The script clears the empty fields on the marked card that has the Clear button but it will not clear the fields on the next marked card. This sample stack consists of two cards. This is weird! I am using Rev Enterprise 4.0. Any suggestions?

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

scott@elementarysoftware.com
 I think you just need to specify the card that the target field is on:

 if the short name of field u of marked card y CONTAINS "field" then put empty into field u of marked card y

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     [hidden email]
office     1-800-360-734-4701

On Jun 6, 2010, at 7:55 PM, charles61 wrote:

> I have the following script to clear fields on marked cards:
>
> on mouseUp
>   repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cards
>      repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card y
>         if the short name of field u CONTAINS "field" then put empty into
> field u
>      end repeat
>   end repeat
> end mouseUp
>
> The script clears the empty fields on the marked card that has the Clear
> button but it will not clear the fields on the next marked card. This sample
> stack consists of two cards. This is weird! I am using Rev Enterprise 4.0.
> Any suggestions?

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Scott,

Thanks very much for your suggestion! Your script works!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jun 6, 2010, at 11:25 PM, Scott Morrow [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

 I think you just need to specify the card that the target field is on:

 if the short name of field u of marked card y CONTAINS "field" then put empty into field u of marked card y

Scott Morrow

Elementary Software
(Now with 20% less chalk dust!)
web       http://elementarysoftware.com/
email     <a href="x-msg://9/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=2245442&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]
office     1-800-360-734-4701

On Jun 6, 2010, at 7:55 PM, charles61 wrote:

> I have the following script to clear fields on marked cards:
>
> on mouseUp
>   repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cards
>      repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card y
>         if the short name of field u CONTAINS "field" then put empty into
> field u
>      end repeat
>   end repeat
> end mouseUp
>
> The script clears the empty fields on the marked card that has the Clear
> button but it will not clear the fields on the next marked card. This sample
> stack consists of two cards. This is weird! I am using Rev Enterprise 4.0.
> Any suggestions?

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2245442.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Scott,

I spoke too soon about your code. It not clears the fields but it also clears the labels of fields! So, I need to do some more work with it.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
Labels of the field?

Buttons have labels, but fields don't. When you run your script, the
contents of the field are emptied. What else is also?

Craig Newman

In a message dated 6/7/10 11:19:18 AM, [hidden email] writes:

> I spoke too soon about your code. It not clears the fields but it also
> clears the labels of fields! So, I need to do some more work with it.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Dunbarx

In addition to the data entry fields being cleared, the name of the label fields are changed to field "label field".

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2246133.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
Ah, I see what you mean.

But the "label" in a label field is just the contents of that field. It
isn't a separate property as in a button, and I don't think there are any
properties that distinguish this control from an ordinary field. This even though
it is a separate object in the tools palette. I could be wrong, of course.

But you can distinguish these fields easily. Why not set a custom property
in all your fields called "isLabel"?   Set that property of all the label
fields to "true", and all other fields to "false".

Then you can add a check in your script to see if the property is "true" or
not.

In a message dated 6/7/10 11:51:54 AM, [hidden email] writes:

> Dunbarx
>
> In addition to the data entry fields being cleared, the name of the label
> fields are changed to field "label field".

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Dunbarx

Thanks! I will try your suggestion!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2246202.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

Kay C Lan
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But you can distinguish these fields easily. Why not set a custom property
> in all your fields called "isLabel"?   Set that property of all the label
> fields to "true", and all other fields to "false".
>
> There may not be a need to set a custom property, for instance their are
several inbuilt properties that are false for text fields and true for label
fields; sharedText and lockText for instance. traversalOn goes the other
way. So why create another property when you could test for those.

Of course you could still set up fields as label fields but aren't actually
labels to a field, maybe a copy right banner at the bottom of a stack, so
the above wouldn't be foolproof but may suffice in your circumstance. If
not, there are other ways to skin this cat. I've gotten into the habit of
prefixing the name of all true label fields with 'lbl', this has other
benefits as well; when you access the property inspector all the label
fields are grouped together - great if you have 100 fields + accompanying
label fields. Finally, and best of all, your text entry fields should all be
'layered' consecutively (Size & Position pane of the Property Inspector),
this makes traversal work better. I do the same with label fields. Then to
do any group entry, validation or clearing it's simply a mater of:

--because you've layered the fields consecutively
--faster because you are not testing if it's a label field
repeat with x = 1 to 88 -- text entry field
   put empty into field x
  --more stuff here if necessary
end repeat

repeat with x = 100 to 187 -- label fields
  set the textColor of field x to red
--more stuff here if necessary
end repeat

Of course if you do the layering correctly, and you want to work with
field/label pairs, knowing the offset where one ends and the other starts
makes it easy to do this:

repeat with x = 1 to 88 -- text entry field
   put empty into field x
  --paired label is offset by 99
  set the textColor of field (x + 99) to red
end repeat

Using fixed numbers isn't going to work if you have a different number of
fields on each card, so that's where custom properties are so useful; easy
to have cEditableFields = 88

repeat with tCardNo = 1 to the number of marked cards
  put the cEditableFields of marked card tCardNo into y
  repeat with x = 1 to y
    put empty into field x of marked card tCardNo
   --more stuff here if necessary
   end repeat
end repeat

HTH

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
The properties mentioned are not intrinsic to label fields, they are just
defaults at creation, and may be common to other fields. Certainly sharedText
and lockText could be. All the other suggestions are valid as far as they
go, naming, numbering, layering, etc., but these may not be convenient, or
constant, and may be tedious to manage down the road. In other words, they may
not go very far.

Naming them with a unique beginning string is pretty robust, I guess; I've
done that. But I still think that creating a custom property is the cleanest
way. It isn't so onerous, after all.

Craig Newman

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

Kay C Lan
Craig,

Agreed, which is why I pointed out that some methods were not foolproof. My
main aim was to point out that there were alternative ways to skin the cat.
Depending on your needs one will probably be better than another.

I guess clean is in the eye of the beholder. And as for onerous, I've
generally discovered that taking the easy option at the beginning ALWAYS
comes and bites me down the road; typically in speed.

Personally, going to the trouble of layering all input fields together at
the beginning so I can do:

repeat with x = 1 to 100
 put empty into field x
end repeat

appears cleaner to me than:

repeat with x = 1 to the number of fields
  if the cIsLabel of field x = false then
     put empty into field x
  end if
end repeat

Also, logical it must take longer to execute as there will be at least twice
as many iterations of the repeat cycle, but lets not use logic, lets check
the numbers:-)

The below results are from a card with 100 normal fields (to be cleared,
cIsLabel = false, lockText = false), + 10 normal fields whose lockText is
true (not to be cleared, cIsLabel = true, lockText = true) and 100 label
fields (not to be cleared, cIsLabel = true, lockText = true).

The result are for 1000 repeats of clearing the 100 normal fields only:

Layer: Min = 1ms, Max = 2ms, Avg = 1ms for 100 iterations.

cLabel: Min = 5ms,  Max = 6ms, Avg = 5ms for 210 iterations.

lockText: Min = 2ms,  Max = 4ms, Avg = 3ms for 210 iterations.

Content: Min = 3ms, Max = 4ms, Avg = 3ms for 210 iterations.

Note the results are significantly slower if you don't 'lock screen'!

Most of this Richard has told us before;

Fastest - layer the objects so you can use repeat with the exact number of
objects.

Fast - if you must step through every object, if possible use an inbuilt
property to perform the validity test.

Slow - custom properties are slower than in built properties.

Slowest - We all know accessing the content of a field is slow, but I'm
surprised at how quick it can be, but I also discovered the results can be
hugely effected by the size of the content and the type of test performed to
determine if it needs to be cleared or not - I used what appeared to be the
fasted, not much content and a simple = test.

HTH

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The properties mentioned are not intrinsic to label fields, they are just
> defaults at creation, and may be common to other fields. Certainly
> sharedText
> and lockText could be. All the other suggestions are valid as far as they
> go, naming, numbering, layering, etc., but these may not be convenient, or
> constant, and may be tedious to manage down the road. In other words, they
> may
> not go very far.
>
> Naming them with a unique beginning string is pretty robust, I guess; I've
> done that. But I still think that creating a custom property is the
> cleanest
> way. It isn't so onerous, after all.
>
> Craig Newman

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Craig,

I made some changes in my script, which works. I am carefully checking any field on a marked card to see if there are problems.

Here is the revised script

on mouseUp
   repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cds ------> Clears fields on marked cards
      repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card

         if the lockText of field u of card y is false then put empty into field u of marked card y
         --         if the short name of field u of marked card y CONTAINS "field" then put empty into field u of marked card y
      end repeat
   end repeat
end mouseUp

What do you think?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2247389.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
I think you are almost there. But I would not use the
In a message dated 6/9/10 1:03:14 PM, [hidden email] writes:

> Craig,
>
> I made some changes in my script, which works. I am carefully checking any
> field on a marked card to see if there are problems.
>
> Here is the revised script
>
> on mouseUp
>    repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cds ------> Clears fields on
> marked cards
>       repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card y
>
>          if the lockText of field u of card y is false then put empty into
> field u of marked card y
>          --         if the short name of field u of marked card y CONTAINS
> "field" then put empty into field u of marked card y
>       end repeat
>    end repeat
> end mouseUp
>
> What do you think?
>
> Charles Szasz

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Dunbarx

Your last part of your e-mail was cut off.

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2249275.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
Charles,

I think you are almost there. But I would not use the "locktext" to
distinguish label fields from all my other fields, for reasons already discussed. I
would set a custom property:

if the isLabel of field u of card y is "true" then put empty into field u
of marked card y

This is clean and unassailable.

Craig

In a message dated 6/9/10 1:03:14 PM, [hidden email] writes:

> Craig,
>
> I made some changes in my script, which works. I am carefully checking any
> field on a marked card to see if there are problems.
>
> Here is the revised script
>
> on mouseUp
>    repeat with y = 1 to the number of marked cds ------> Clears fields on
> marked cards
>       repeat with u = 1 to the number of fields of marked card y
>
>          if the lockText of field u of card y is false then put empty into
> field u of marked card y
>          --         if the short name of field u of marked card y CONTAINS
> "field" then put empty into field u of marked card y
>       end repeat
>    end repeat
> end mouseUp
>
> What do you think?
>
> Charles Szasz

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Craig,

Well, I have 72 cards and I had locked the label fields two weeks ago. But I will try your suggestion. I need practice in creating custom property!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2249279.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

Stephen Barncard-4
That's the good part! It's just as easy as setting the Rev property
The custom property is 'created' by just setting a name you pick to some
data.
(don't forget the 'the' )

set the SillyPropertyName of field "myField" to myData

--          myData can be any text or even binary or a stack !

get the SillyPropertyName of field "myfield"
put it  -- into msg box

easy!!

Custom properties are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

sqb

On 9 June 2010 11:24, charles61 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Well, I have 72 cards and I had locked the label fields two weeks ago. But
> I will try your suggestion. I need practice in creating custom property!
>
> Charles Szasz

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

dunbarxx
Charles.

Custom properties are very simple and very powerful. They work just like
any other property.

You just make them up. Write:

set the isLabel of field "yourField" to "true"     --isLabel is the new
custom property

Then ask:

answer the isLabel of fld "yourField"

You will get "true".

You will set the isLabel of all your other fields to "false". You can do
this in a script.

This property is separate from the ordinary properties of your fields. For
example, you might want a locked field in your application for some reason,
and that would then interfere with your ability to distinguish it from a
label field.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

charles61
Dunbarx

Thanks for the explanation! I will try it!

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/A-problem-with-clearing-fields-on-marked-cards-tp2245427p2249318.html
To unsubscribe from A problem with clearing fields on marked cards, click here.

Re: A problem with clearing fields on marked cards

Stephen Barncard-4
I don't think you need to 'opt out' the other fields. That would negate the
ease of just checking for some data in the property in your loop. Simplify!

 If it exists, then it is. Otherwise it isn't! "false" is implied in objects
that aren't "branded".

-- inside your loop checking fields:
get the nothingText of stack "mystack"
if it is empty
 then
   next repeat (or whatever)
else
 -- execute something here if there is something in it
end if