AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
I'm trying to edit a script.  However, when I open the script editor
with "edit the script of this stack" (which I'm only using because I'm
trying to test a HC-era hack), the text cursor doesn't appear, and the
text editor behaves...badly.  Is this known or new?

Second, if I open the script using the Object Menu, and hit "enter" to
terminate a line (it doesn't matter if it's the enter on the main part
of the kb or the numeric enter) the script closes.

Suggestions?

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
Further, it appears when I use "edit the script of this stack" that
the script is read-only.  It doesn't colorize or format either.

After getting everything shut down and restarted (including the
machine, in case there was something stupid going on in the OS that
was causing the enter issue) I finally resorted to
get the script of this stack
put return after char 4 of it
set the script of this stack to it

However, it would be nice if I didn't have to (in effect) write my own
script editor to edit scripts...
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

Kay C Lan
On 11/14/06, Mikey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Second, if I open the script using the Object Menu, and hit "enter" to
> terminate a line (it doesn't matter if it's the enter on the main part
> of the kb or the numeric enter) the script closes.

You might want to check your preferences. For me (on a Mac) I have to use
the return key to terminate a line.  If I 'edit' a script and use the
'Enter' key, it will 'Apply' the changes, if I then hit the 'Enter' key
again, or if in the first case the script had not been amended, then the
script window will be closed.

I'm sure you can vary this behaviour in Rev's preferences.

HTH

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
I'm still waiting for a suggestion on how to modify the behavior.  On
a windoze box the "return" key is also labeled an "enter" key.  In my
case what I mean is that the "return" key behaves like the "enter"
key, but ONLY IN RR.  I know this because I have other development
tools that have different behaviors for the keys, but they behave as I
would expect.

Mike.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

MisterX
Although it's called enter on your physical keyboard, the return key is
indeed the return key. The "enter" key in rev is the keypad's enter key
only.

To catch any use the messages:

on returnkey

on enterkey

or
on rawkeydown k
  put chartonum(k)

you'll see the difference...

cheers
Xavier

I understand the difference.  However, RR script editor isn't behaving
as if there is a difference.  I have just rebooted my XP box for the
third time in three days, and the behavior has not changed.

I think we old-timers are more apt to refer to them as the Return and
Enter keys, but the kids these days...

Mikey wrote:
> I'm still waiting for a suggestion on how to modify the behavior.
> On a windoze box the "return" key is also labeled an "enter" key.

An unfortunate decision, given that the computer keyboard was based on
the typewriter, where "Return" physically moved the carriage to return
the page to the left margin to start a new line.

How PC manufacturers managed to forget what Return means is a mystery to
me, but they've repeated that mistake so consistently that now we live
in a world where most young folks have never seen a typewriter in use,
and they generally don't understand that Enter near the home row
triggers a different code than Enter on the numeric pad. :(

So cross-platform software developers have lost what could have been a
useful distinction.

> In my case what I mean is that the "return" key behaves like the "enter"
> key, but ONLY IN RR.  I know this because I have other development
> tools that have different behaviors for the keys, but they behave as I
> would expect.

On Windows?

Mac keyboards continue to label the Return key correctly, allowing
software developers to distinguish it easily for their users.

But how does a Windows developer tell a user to press the Return key
when it's mistakenly labeled something else?

On the second day, God created the deserts.
    and did a little backpacking in Joshua Tree.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

Ken Ray
On 11/15/06 11:31 AM, "MisterX" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Although it's called enter on your physical keyboard, the return key is
> indeed the return key. The "enter" key in rev is the keypad's enter key
> only.

Actually, Xavier, Mike tried both - his original post:

> Second, if I open the script using the Object Menu, and hit "enter" to
> terminate a line (it doesn't matter if it's the enter on the main part
> of the kb or the numeric enter) the script closes.

It's possible it may be a keyboard configuration issue. I know on some Mac
laptops for example, you can simulate a true "enter" by holding down the Fn
key and hitting the Return key on the keyboard. I'm thinking that perhaps
there's some config that lets you map one to another.

Mike, what computer/os are you getting this on?

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: [hidden email]

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

Ian Wood-3

On 15 Nov 2006, at 17:46, Ken Ray wrote:

> I know on some Mac
> laptops for example, you can simulate a true "enter" by holding
> down the Fn
> key and hitting the Return key on the keyboard.

I believe that's only one pretty old models, or maybe only in certain
countries. Every UK Mac laptop I've seen for about six years has had
both a Return key and an Enter key (in place of the right Alt key).

Ian

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
This is an HP Pavillion zd7000 lappie - but it is a 17", so it has
it's own built-in keypad as well as the traditional "return" key
(which, as we all know has been called "Enter" in the Windoze world
since...geez.  It's been since almost the beginning.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

RE: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

MisterX
ok, I keep getting this "tip" cue wrong...

Can't read it all since digg.com got in my cyberfeeds!

but I tried...

object menu -> "card script"

script editor window opens, a line is selected...

I press "return", the line is replaced with the return

I press control-Z, nothing happens

I go to the script editors' edit menu and choose undo

nothing happens...

I click on revert to breathe again...

had I pressed the enterkey...

the script window goes away (90-70% of the time assuming you didn't press
any keys after it opened - it still asks you to save the script, I know,
I've got it at least 3 billion times)...

you're either not using windows, got a weird frontscript somewhere or your
keyboard's control key is stuck (pound it a few times)...

All I could find...

cheers
Xavier

William Marriott
Mikey,

I tried to replicate your problem with Revolution 2.7.5. beta 1 on Mac and
Windows but it worked as expected for me.

1) Revolution version?
2) Are you signed up for the beta? (apparently not at your gmail address)
3) If no, why not? ;) Go to http://support.runrev.com/beta_test.php
4) If yes, can you check the behavior against 2.7.5 beta 1?
5) If the problem still exists, does it occur only with your HyperCard-era
stack? Or with new stacks as well?
6) If it's just the old stack, can you please file a report and attach the
stack?
7) If it happens on new stacks, can you please generate a system profile
report and attach that along with the steps required to reproduce the
problem?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

"Mikey" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> I'm trying to edit a script.  However, when I open the script editor
> with "edit the script of this stack" (which I'm only using because I'm
> trying to test a HC-era hack), the text cursor doesn't appear, and the
> text editor behaves...badly.  Is this known or new?
>
> Second, if I open the script using the Object Menu, and hit "enter" to
> terminate a line (it doesn't matter if it's the enter on the main part
> of the kb or the numeric enter) the script closes.
>
> Suggestions?

>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
Bill,
As it turns out this is a known bug (3375), which was submitted by
someone else.  Jacque suggested that there is something odd with the
way that the script editor receives the focus.  Giving the focus to
another window or application and then bringing it back to the script
editor seems to resolve the issue.  I'm turning my hacking attention
to the script editor anyway, so I'm going to see if I can figure out
what's going on.  It could be an engine problem, but according to the
comments in 3375, it appears that RR seems to think it's a script
editor problem.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

William Marriott
Ok, good! So now all we gotta do is get you to join the beta test ;)

"Mikey" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Bill,
> As it turns out this is a known bug (3375), which was submitted by
> someone else.  [...]  I'm turning my hacking attention
> to the script editor anyway, so I'm going to see if I can figure out
> what's going on.

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

mikey-2
I am in the beta test.  I've already submitted a bunch of bugs and suggestions.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: AAAAUGH! Cursor, enter problems

William Marriott
Ooops, there you are. You were actually among the first 40 applicants!

Mikey wrote