AN:Particle Interactions

Glenn E. Fisher
All,

I just converted one of my old HyperCard stacks named "Interactions" to
rev.
Anyone interested in particle physics might take a look and comment.
It's on RevOnLine under id "gefisher" in the "Education" category.
It uses the font "Symbol" so if you don't have that font it probably
will not display nicely.  I really liked the old way in HyperCard that
you could put fonts in the resource fork.

Best regards,
Glenn
--
Glenn E. Fisher University of Houston - Retired
22402 Diane Dr. Spring, Tx 77373

Glenn's Optics Stack

Jon-3
Glenn:

I noticed your Optics stack, so I took a look.  Here are a few quick
comments.

It may be clear to you what this stack is supposed to do, but it made
very little sense to me.  A little explanation might be useful.

I clicked on Design, then clicked on Create Lens, then clicked Cancel.
There was a run-time error.  I then clicked the close icon (X) on the
Design window, and was asked if I really wanted to save the Design
stack.  All I wanted was to "hide" the window so I could get back to the
original window.

I did finally manage to create a second lens and see the optical lines
flying around: very cool!  I wish I understood what was going on better!

:)

Jon

Glenn E. Fisher wrote:

> All,
>
> I just converted one of my old HyperCard stacks named "Interactions"
> to rev.
> Anyone interested in particle physics might take a look and comment.
> It's on RevOnLine under id "gefisher" in the "Education" category.
> It uses the font "Symbol" so if you don't have that font it probably
> will not display nicely.  I really liked the old way in HyperCard that
> you could put fonts in the resource fork.
>
> Best regards,
> Glenn
> --
> Glenn E. Fisher    University of Houston - Retired
> 22402 Diane Dr.    Spring, Tx 77373
> [hidden email]     http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
> http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
> http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

Re: AN:Particle Interactions

Jon-3
Glenn:

I downloaded the Interactions stack.  The first thing I see is a list of
particles.  When I click on the buttons, nothing happens.  I'm confused,
again.

I then notice the big window, behind the smaller window, and click on
it.  I click on "Do It".  I'm told "You need to select an interaction to
view", which is fair enough.  I click on OK  A run-time error occurs.
When I click on the "X" icon, I'm not asked if I want to save things
(which is nicer than with the Optics stack).  When I click on the "X"
icon for the decays pop-up, I'm asked again (not so nice).  I'd prefer
two buttons, Accept and Cancel.

I finally read the Help (too bad there is no Help button on the
particles palette window!), and try to drag a particle to the large
white box on the main window.  It does not work.

Again, it looks neat, but I can't figure out what to do with it...

:)

Jon

Glenn E. Fisher wrote:

> All,
>
> I just converted one of my old HyperCard stacks named "Interactions"
> to rev.
> Anyone interested in particle physics might take a look and comment.
> It's on RevOnLine under id "gefisher" in the "Education" category.
> It uses the font "Symbol" so if you don't have that font it probably
> will not display nicely.  I really liked the old way in HyperCard that
> you could put fonts in the resource fork.
>
> Best regards,
> Glenn
> --
> Glenn E. Fisher    University of Houston - Retired
> 22402 Diane Dr.    Spring, Tx 77373
> [hidden email]     http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
> http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
> http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

Thomas McGrath III
Jon,

Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using different
eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to know what the
field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you punch that in and
you get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x multiplier than you
will know the new FOV.

The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every stack
(unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal behavior.

Tom

On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Jon wrote:

> Glenn:
>
> I noticed your Optics stack, so I took a look.  Here are a few quick
> comments.
>
> It may be clear to you what this stack is supposed to do, but it made
> very little sense to me.  A little explanation might be useful.
>
> I clicked on Design, then clicked on Create Lens, then clicked Cancel.
>  There was a run-time error.  I then clicked the close icon (X) on the
> Design window, and was asked if I really wanted to save the Design
> stack.  All I wanted was to "hide" the window so I could get back to
> the original window.
>
> I did finally manage to create a second lens and see the optical lines
> flying around: very cool!  I wish I understood what was going on
> better!
>
> :)
>
> Jon
>

> Glenn E. Fisher wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I just converted one of my old HyperCard stacks named "Interactions"
>> to rev.
>> Anyone interested in particle physics might take a look and comment.
>> It's on RevOnLine under id "gefisher" in the "Education" category.
>> It uses the font "Symbol" so if you don't have that font it probably
>> will not display nicely.  I really liked the old way in HyperCard
>> that you could put fonts in the resource fork.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Glenn
>> --
>> Glenn E. Fisher    University of Houston - Retired
>> 22402 Diane Dr.    Spring, Tx 77373
>> [hidden email]     http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
>> http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
>> http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

Thomas J. McGrath III
SCS
1000 Killarney Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15234
412-885-8541

Jon wrote:
> Glenn:
>
> I downloaded the Interactions stack.  The first thing I see is a list
> of particles.  When I click on the buttons, nothing happens.  I'm
> confused, again.
If you place the cursor over one of the buttons, you should see the
following:
"drag to bullet or target" (tool tip message)
I'm sorry but this should have said "Drag to Accelerated Particle or
Target Particle".
So what you do is drag one of the particles to the Accelerated Particle
field.  The cursor will change when you move the cursor over the
correct field.
Then you can click on the "Do It" button to calculate all the allowed
interactions and display them in the field below the "View in Cloud
Chamber" button.

> I then notice the big window, behind the smaller window, and click on
> it.  I click on "Do It".  I'm told "You need to select an interaction
> to view", which is fair enough.  I click on OK  A run-time error
> occurs.  When I click on the "X" icon, I'm not asked if I want to save
> things (which is nicer than with the Optics stack).  When I click on
> the "X" icon for the decays pop-up, I'm asked again (not so nice).
> I'd prefer two buttons, Accept and Cancel.
>
> I finally read the Help (too bad there is no Help button on the
> particles palette window!), and try to drag a particle to the large
> white box on the main window.  It does not work.

You can not drag to that field as I explained above.
Once you do the above, you can select one of the lines (an interaction)
in the display field and then click on the "View in Cloud Chamber"
button to display the graphic of the interaction.

> Again, it looks neat, but I can't figure out what to do with it...
>
> :)
>
> Jon
I'll clean this up a little and try to make the help clearer.
Thanks for the response,
Glenn
--
Glenn E. Fisher University of Houston - Retired
22402 Diane Dr. Spring, Tx 77373
[hidden email] http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

Glenn E. Fisher
Thomas,
On June 15, 2005 9:52:44 AM CDT Thomas McGrath III
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Jon,
>
> Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using different
> eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to know what the
> field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you punch that in and
> you get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x multiplier than you
> will know the new FOV.

Thanks so much for explaining this in my absence from the list.

> The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every stack
> (unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal behavior.
>
> Tom
This list is great for exchanging ideas.
Best regards,
Glenn
--
Glenn E. Fisher University of Houston - Retired
22402 Diane Dr. Spring, Tx 77373
[hidden email] http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

Jon-3
Tom:

"Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using different
eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to know what the
field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you punch that in and you
get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x multiplier than you will
know the new FOV. "

Excellent description: wouldn't it be great if it were visible in his stack?

"The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every stack
(unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal behavior. "

When one is "finished" with a pop-up form, one does not expect to have
to answer this kind of question.  It should be handled by the
programmer.  Not everyone in the world runs the RunRev IDE.

Just my $0.02...

:)

Jon

Thomas McGrath III wrote:

> Jon,
>
> Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using different
> eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to know what the
> field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you punch that in and
> you get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x multiplier than you
> will know the new FOV.
>
> The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every stack
> (unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal behavior.
>
> Tom
>

> On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Jon wrote:
>
>> Glenn:
>>
>> I noticed your Optics stack, so I took a look.  Here are a few quick
>> comments.
>>
>> It may be clear to you what this stack is supposed to do, but it made
>> very little sense to me.  A little explanation might be useful.
>>
>> I clicked on Design, then clicked on Create Lens, then clicked
>> Cancel.  There was a run-time error.  I then clicked the close icon
>> (X) on the Design window, and was asked if I really wanted to save
>> the Design stack.  All I wanted was to "hide" the window so I could
>> get back to the original window.
>>
>> I did finally manage to create a second lens and see the optical
>> lines flying around: very cool!  I wish I understood what was going
>> on better!
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Jon
>>

>> Glenn E. Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I just converted one of my old HyperCard stacks named "Interactions"
>>> to rev.
>>> Anyone interested in particle physics might take a look and comment.
>>> It's on RevOnLine under id "gefisher" in the "Education" category.
>>> It uses the font "Symbol" so if you don't have that font it probably
>>> will not display nicely.  I really liked the old way in HyperCard
>>> that you could put fonts in the resource fork.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Glenn
>>> --
>>> Glenn E. Fisher    University of Houston - Retired
>>> 22402 Diane Dr.    Spring, Tx 77373
>>> [hidden email]     http://www.uh.edu/~fisher
>>> http://home.houston.rr.com/thegefishers/
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/gefisher

> Thomas J. McGrath III
> SCS
> 1000 Killarney Dr.
> Pittsburgh, PA 15234
> 412-885-8541

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

Thomas McGrath III
Jon,

I want to say "What do you want for free?" but don't want to seem rude
since I'm not being so. Some people share great stacks with us here
that are not intended for final distribution or that are in different
stages of development. Only people who use the IDE can access these
stacks anyway and most know these are but samples and such.

If you feel this serious about this than you probably should not
download any of my stacks since none of them are finished. :-)

Tom

On Jun 15, 2005, at 4:09 PM, Jon wrote:

> Tom:
>
> "Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using
> different eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to know
> what the field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you punch that
> in and you get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x multiplier
> than you will know the new FOV. "
>
> Excellent description: wouldn't it be great if it were visible in his
> stack?
>
> "The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every
> stack (unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal
> behavior. "
>
> When one is "finished" with a pop-up form, one does not expect to have
> to answer this kind of question.  It should be handled by the
> programmer.  Not everyone in the world runs the RunRev IDE.
>
> Just my $0.02...
>
> :)
>
> Jon
>

> Thomas McGrath III wrote:
>
>> Jon,
>>
>> Glenn's stack is for figuring out different aspects of using
>> different eye pieces with different telescopes. So if you want to
>> know what the field of view FOV for a 26 mm Plossi lens then you
>> punch that in and you get your FOV etc. Then if you change to a 2x
>> multiplier than you will know the new FOV.
>>
>> The close box works exactly as you describe in the IDE for every
>> stack (unless you over ride the close box message). That is normal
>> behavior.
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> On Jun 15, 2005, at 9:45 AM, Jon wrote:
>>
>>> Glenn:
>>>
>>> I noticed your Optics stack, so I took a look.  Here are a few quick
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> It may be clear to you what this stack is supposed to do, but it
>>> made very little sense to me.  A little explanation might be useful.
>>>
>>> I clicked on Design, then clicked on Create Lens, then clicked
>>> Cancel.  There was a run-time error.  I then clicked the close icon
>>> (X) on the Design window, and was asked if I really wanted to save
>>> the Design stack.  All I wanted was to "hide" the window so I could
>>> get back to the original window.
>>>
>>> I did finally manage to create a second lens and see the optical
>>> lines flying around: very cool!  I wish I understood what was going
>>> on better!
>>>
>>> :)
>>>
>>> Jon

>> Thomas J. McGrath III
>> SCS
>> 1000 Killarney Dr.
>> Pittsburgh, PA 15234
>> 412-885-8541

Thomas J. McGrath III
SCS
1000 Killarney Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15234
412-885-8541

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

Jon-3
Tom:

> If you feel this serious about this than you probably should not
> download any of my stacks since none of them are finished. :-)

Does a programmer ever REALLY finish a program he writes for himself?!?

:)

Jon

Re: Glenn's Optics Stack

mwieder
Jon-

J> Does a programmer ever REALLY finish a program he writes for himself?!?

Of course. I've finished the same dang program many times.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com