[ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

FlexibleLearning
The 'chasing arrows' is no longer OSX-HIG conformant (Apple Human Interface
Guidelines 2005-8-11, page 138) and the asynchronous progress indicator is
recommended. Trouble is, it's not readily accessible so we have made one for
Rev...

www.FlexibleLearning.com/xtalk/OSXspinnerANI.zip

It's a  16x16 24-frame animated gif, is only 4kb in size, and should
replicate  native OSX for most purposes in your stacks. With thanks to Todd for
locating  the original 32px tiff files!

Notes for folks new to animated icons in Revolution...
1. Download from the address above
2. Unzip to the gif
3. Import the image file into your stack
4. Make a note of the image's ID

To Start the animation, type this in the message box...
    set the repeatCount of img id [theImgID] to -1
To stop the animation, type this in the message box...
    set the repeatCount of img id [theImgID] to 0

To implement in a button (so you can use a single image anywhere and as  many
times as you want without duplicating it), simply set the icon of the  button
to [theImgID] and use the same lines above to start and stop as  required.

/H
FLCo
The Scripter's  Scrapbook
www.FlexibleLearning.com/ssbk.htm

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

Dan Shafer
Thanks, Hugh.

Curious...why didn't you post this on SSBK onlne?

Heh

Dan

[hidden email] wrote:

> The 'chasing arrows' is no longer OSX-HIG conformant (Apple Human Interface
> Guidelines 2005-8-11, page 138) and the asynchronous progress indicator is
> recommended. Trouble is, it's not readily accessible so we have made one for
> Rev...
>
> www.FlexibleLearning.com/xtalk/OSXspinnerANI.zip
>
> It's a  16x16 24-frame animated gif, is only 4kb in size, and should
> replicate  native OSX for most purposes in your stacks. With thanks to Todd for
> locating  the original 32px tiff files!

Way cool -- thanks for posting that.

Kinda makes a fella wonder why OS vendors don't provide graphics like
this themselves.  I know, I know: "Surely we're the only operating
system you're writing for, so just use our API."  ;)

  Managing Editor, revJournal

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

FlexibleLearning
>Thanks, Hugh.
>
>Curious...why didn't you post this on SSBK  onlne?
>
>Heh
>
>Dan

It has now been posted to The Scripter's Scrapbook Online, with an  Entry as
below including the download link.

Remember you can always store a copy the file in your own ssBk Entry, then
restore as many copies as you want whenever you need to.

/H
FLCo
Home of The Scripter's   Scrapbook
www.FlexibleLearning.com/ssbk.htm

---------------
OSX Async Progress Ani.gif

PLATFORM(s): Mac OSX
LANGUAGE(s):  Rev
CLASSIFICATION(s): Deployment : Interface

The standard OSX  asyncronous progress indicator (the grey 'flower' with
chasing 'petals') is  available as a 16px 24-frame, transparent, animated gif. It
was created from the  24 tiff files in the OSX system folder, scaled to 16px
as required by the OSX  HIG (Apple Human Interface Guidelines 2005-8-11, page
138). The 4kb file size is  very much smaller than the combined size of the
tiff files, so it has a very  small impact on your stack size.

Suitable for use on light backgrounds  (white or light grey for example) due
to anti-aliasing that will display the  'halo' effect on dark backgrounds.

Download:   www.FlexibleLearning.com/xtalk/OSXspinnerANI.zip

In a button: set the ID  of btn [myBtn] to [tImgID]
Start animation: set the repeatCount of img ID  [tImgID] to -1
Stop animation: set the repeatCount of img ID [tImgID] to  0

SOURCE: Hugh Senior, The Flexible Learning Company,  19AUG2005

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

Joel Guillod
Thanks for the nice 16x16 24-frame animated gif !

I wonder to know if there is a way in Revolution that animated gif
are going to be automatically animated during the execution of a
script. This is in fact the reason of your new 'chasing arrows' to
show the user that a process is currently running and he should be
patient.

My solution up to now:
1.- open the animated gif in GraphicConverter
2.- save it as a Quicktime Movie,
3.- add a Player named "MyAnim" onto your card
4.- in message box type :
        set the filename of player "MyAnim" to theQuicktimeMovieFilePath
        set the looping of player "MyAnim" to true
5.- then a script sample during which the animation is displayed:

   on doSomeLongProcess
       show player "MyAnim"
       start player "MyAnim"
       here you have some long process to run -- <-- change as needed...
       stop player "MyAnim"
       hide player "MyAnim"
   end doSomeLongProcess

6.- Of course the animation is not displayed if you set the
lockscreen to true in your script.

Enjoy and tell me if there is a direct solution with animated gif.

Joel G

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

Howard Bornstein
On 8/21/05, Joel Guillod <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the nice 16x16 24-frame animated gif !
>
> I wonder to know if there is a way in Revolution that animated gif
> are going to be automatically animated during the execution of a
> script.

When I tested it, the animation ran automatically whenever the gif was
showing. So to use the "busy" indicator, I just set a transparent
button to the icon of the gif to show it and set the icon to 0 to stop
it.

-- toggle the wait indicator
 if the icon of btn "wait" is 0 then
    set the icon of btn "wait" to 1004 -- the id of the gif
  else
    set the icon of btn "wait" to 0

Howard Bornstein

Simple question: html link in browser opening a Rev Stack?

david bovill
Been a while since I've done this - can someone help?

 From memory there are 1 or 2 things that must be set up for this to
work properly:

   1. Mime types set up on local machine so that the browser
recognises stack as something to be opened by Rev
   2. Possibly mime types set on http server - is this only for
saving file type during download?

 From memory I remember a stack that automatically set the default
browser to do this? Does this stack still exist? What are the cross-
platform / cross browser issues here - mainly interested in OSX and
Linux for next week.

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

FlexibleLearning

You are most welcome, Joel.

And Howard, you are not actually stopping the  animation which continues in
the background. As in the original posting and  repeated when uploaded to ssBk
Online, set the repeatCount of the image ID to -1  to start the animation and
0 to stop it.

/H

On 8/21/05, Joel Guillod <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Thanks for the nice 16x16 24-frame animated gif !
>
> I wonder to  know if there is a way in Revolution that animated gif
> are going to be  automatically animated during the execution of a
> script.

When I  tested it, the animation ran automatically whenever the gif was
showing. So  to use the "busy" indicator, I just set a transparent
button to the icon of  the gif to show it and set the icon to 0 to stop
it.

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

Howard Bornstein

> And Howard, you are not actually stopping the  animation which continues in
> the background. As in the original posting and  repeated when uploaded to ssBk
> Online, set the repeatCount of the image ID to -1  to start the animation and
> 0 to stop it.

Right. I realize that. How much of a performance hit do you think we
take for keeping that little animation running all the time?

Howard Bornstein

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

FlexibleLearning
>> And Howard, you are not actually  stopping the  animation which continues
in
>> the background. As  in the original posting and  repeated when uploaded to
ssBk
>>  Online, set the repeatCount of the image ID to -1  to start the animation
 and
>> 0 to stop it.

> Right. I realize that. How much of a  performance hit do you think we
> take for keeping that little animation  running all the time?

Probably not a great deal, Howard, but for the  sake of a simple line
probably a tidier solution.

/H

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

Joel Guillod
> You are most welcome, Joel.
>
> And Howard, you are not actually stopping the  animation which
> continues in
> the background. As in the original posting and  repeated when
> uploaded to ssBk
> Online, set the repeatCount of the image ID to -1  to start the
> animation and
> 0 to stop it.

On what platform do you run? I still dont see the animation during
script execution. Try this on MacOSX 10.4.2:

1.- Put this handler in the script of a card displaying your
animation image:

on doTheLongProcess pCount
   repeat with i=1 to pCount
     put i
   end repeat
end doTheLongProcess

2.- Ensure that the image is animated, i.e. type in the msg box: "set
the repeatCount of the image X to -1"

3.- Type the following in the msg box "doTheLongProcess 4000"

4.- Here you notice that the msg box displays an increasing value but
the image is not animated.

Now, do you catch my former question? Or does your own computer
display the animation, mine does not...

So to allow for the animation to be displayed during the execution of
script, I do the following:

1.- Change the above script to:
on doTheLongProcess pCount
   repeat with i=1 to pCount
     put i
     animateImg -- this is the fix to allow for the animation to
display.
   end repeat
end doTheLongProcess

local llast_animate = 0

on animateImg i
   -- dont do the wait for each iteration of the calling handler
since this will slow down the execution:
   if millisecs()-llast_animate>100 then
     wait 0 millisecs
     put millisecs() into llast_animate
   end if
end animateImg

2.- Note that calling "wait" allows for the screen to display.
3.- Dont use a "lockscreen" or "set lockscreen to true" in your
script because this will prevent the redisplay, of course.

That's my proposal. I build a test stack named "Display animation
process" which you find under username "imed". It will show you time
wasting depending of the settings (animate or not, screen locked or
not).

JG

Re: [ANN] Animated gif for OSX progress

FlexibleLearning

I suspect the repeat loop is so tight that it leaves no cycles left for the
engine to activate the animation frames. For most purposes, an animated gif
will  happily run in it's own 'memory area', or at least that is my experiance
and  impression over the years.

/H

>on doTheLongProcess  pCount
>   repeat with i=1 to pCount
>      put i
>   end repeat
>end  doTheLongProcess

Repost: Simple question: html link in browser opening a Rev Stack?

david bovill
Sorry to post again any ideas?

Begin forwarded message: