[ANN]Coding Contest

Björnke von Gierke
Hi all

The Chatrev coding contest (CCC) is now underway!

ChatRev is a chat written entirely in RunRev. Information about it can
be found here: http://chatrev.bjoernke.com

There are 3 Challenges. You can of course participate in all
challenges, if you like, but I suggest that you concentrate on one
challenge, and make it work as good as you can. It's also important to
know that even an unfinished Product may win a prize, so if you get the
feeling you can't finish, send it in anyway, maybe you're lucky!

please send questions to my e-Mail: bvg AT mac DOT com
It would also be nice to have an e-Mail about your participation, but
this is not mandatory.

Simple:
Make something nifty within 10 lines of code.
The goal of this challenge is to let coders of every experience
participate, with a real chance to win.
It will last 1 week until next monday.
There are 2 example stacks, to show how you could do it at:
http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?simple

Advanced:
This challenge wants you to code a RoboWar clone.
It's a game where people can program "bots", that battle each other.
You got 4 weeks to make your game, if you want to participate in this
challenge.
Check out:
http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?advanced

Impossible:
Make an Instant messenger client, using the AIM, MSN or Jabber protocol.
This is the longest challenge, lasting 8 weeks.
More details can be found here:
http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?impossible

Now for the important part, the prizes:
http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?sponsors

simple challenge:
TidBITS eBooks for second and third prize
"Software at the speed of thought" as first prize

advanced challenge:
TidBITS eBooks for third and fourth prize
A Karl Becker game of your choosing for second place
Altuit's altSQLite or MagicCarpet as first prize

impossible challenge:
TidBITS eBooks for fourth and fifth prize
A Karl Becker game of your choosing for third place
Altuit's altSQLite or MagicCarpet as second place
A year of runrev license for the first prize

good luck to all of you!

Bjoernke von Gierke

--

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.cjb.net

Chat with other RunRev developers:
go stack URL "http://homepage.mac.com/bvg/chatrev1.3.rev"

RE: [ANN]Coding Contest - count me in! ;)

MisterX
Excellent Bjornke!

I just warmed up with a multi-Parts permutation to targeted Sum
(or any function) best-fit optimizer including a divide and conquer
algorithm... To be presented soon... lots of testing cause
i can't afford the support time ;)

The roboWar game is tempting me seriously...
It's got to come down to the Art of Warrior Objects...
Add a weapons and recog layer, strip it down,
add forcefields and neutron cannons ;)
aaaah, the imagination is flowing ;)

2D or 3D ? Infinite space allowed ? ;)

See why i mentioned the above optimizer...

--

The 10 lines cool code too but hmmm not another clock ;)
Maybe a bot ;)

Another IM... I was planning to write one for my own
bots...

I hope we're tested based on age and jedi-level
or newbies will stand a poor chance...

Let's foster revolutionaries' imagination ;)

"The acme of war is not in killing a maximum of enemies,
The acme of war is not in defeating an easy enemy to defeat,..."
Sun Tsu

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com

Ro Nagey
BTW, if you need more details or want to just hang out with nice folk -

go stack URL "http://homepage.mac.com/bvg/chatrev1.3.rev"

It's been fun learning about everyone's ideas!

Ro

On Jun 13, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Hi all
>
> The Chatrev coding contest (CCC) is now underway!
>
> ChatRev is a chat written entirely in RunRev. Information about it
> can be found here: http://chatrev.bjoernke.com
>
> There are 3 Challenges. You can of course participate in all
> challenges, if you like, but I suggest that you concentrate on one
> challenge, and make it work as good as you can. It's also important
> to know that even an unfinished Product may win a prize, so if you
> get the feeling you can't finish, send it in anyway, maybe you're
> lucky!
>
> please send questions to my e-Mail: bvg AT mac DOT com
> It would also be nice to have an e-Mail about your participation,
> but this is not mandatory.
>
> Simple:
> Make something nifty within 10 lines of code.
> The goal of this challenge is to let coders of every experience
> participate, with a real chance to win.
> It will last 1 week until next monday.
> There are 2 example stacks, to show how you could do it at:
> http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?simple
>
> Advanced:
> This challenge wants you to code a RoboWar clone.
> It's a game where people can program "bots", that battle each other.
> You got 4 weeks to make your game, if you want to participate in
> this challenge.
> Check out:
> http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?advanced
>
> Impossible:
> Make an Instant messenger client, using the AIM, MSN or Jabber
> protocol.
> This is the longest challenge, lasting 8 weeks.
> More details can be found here:
> http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?impossible
>

> Now for the important part, the prizes:
> http://contest.wecode.org/cgi-bin/contest.cgi?sponsors
>
> simple challenge:
> TidBITS eBooks for second and third prize
> "Software at the speed of thought" as first prize
>
> advanced challenge:
> TidBITS eBooks for third and fourth prize
> A Karl Becker game of your choosing for second place
> Altuit's altSQLite or MagicCarpet as first prize
>
> impossible challenge:
> TidBITS eBooks for fourth and fifth prize
> A Karl Becker game of your choosing for third place
> Altuit's altSQLite or MagicCarpet as second place
> A year of runrev license for the first prize
>

> good luck to all of you!
>
> Bjoernke von Gierke
>
> --
>
> official ChatRev page:
> http://chatrev.cjb.net
>
> Chat with other RunRev developers:
> go stack URL "http://homepage.mac.com/bvg/chatrev1.3.rev"

Ro Nagey ~ Evangelist ~ [hidden email]
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools ~ http://
www.runrev.com/

Re: [ANN]Coding Contest

Björnke von Gierke
Hi All

We already got entries for the simple challenge, and they're great fun
to look at. Unfortunately not all of them follow the rules.
Before submitting, make sure that you have no scripts in your stack,
other then the button to "do" the field with the actual challenge
entry. for example you might have a button like this:
on mouseUp
   do field 1
end mousUp

Also refer to the rules and examples at http://contest.wecode.org

New additions to the Rules (after a long discussion in ChatRev):
-Comments don't count as lines.
-";" counts as line delimiter.

greetings from the
Chatrev Coding Contest Judges

--

http://contest.wecode.org
Now running: the first ChatRev coding contest!

Re: [ANN]Coding Contest

Björnke von Gierke
Hi guys and gals

Just a quick reminder that the Simple Challenge will end this Monday,
so be sure that you send in your stack before time runs out. We are
surprised by the great and original solutions we got until now, so be
sure to polish your idea up as much as possible before you send it in.

Also Fourth World Media Corporation is now a sponsor too, giving away a
year of Devolution license!

More info on the Page: http://contest.wecode.org/

have fun & good luck
Björnke

--

http://contest.wecode.org
Now running: the first ChatRev coding contest!
sponsors:
Altuit
Andre Garzia
Fourth World