ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Posted a utility stack to livecodeshare:

When first launched, the LiveCode IDE will build a documentation cache
for the current version. When you upgrade to a new version, a new cache
folder is created, but any older cache is still in the system. When you
remove an older LiveCode version the cache folder is not removed, so
these accumulate over time.

This stack will allow you to remove any documentation cache folders that
are no longer needed in order to reclaim storage space on your computer.
If you remove a current one accidentally it will be rebuilt the next
time the LiveCode IDE is launched.

http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/895/LC-Documentation-Cache-Cleaner

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
How fantastically useful. Thanks.

Richmond.

On 2/9/2018 9:21 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> Posted a utility stack to livecodeshare:
>
> When first launched, the LiveCode IDE will build a documentation cache
> for the current version. When you upgrade to a new version, a new
> cache folder is created, but any older cache is still in the system.
> When you remove an older LiveCode version the cache folder is not
> removed, so these accumulate over time.
>
> This stack will allow you to remove any documentation cache folders
> that are no longer needed in order to reclaim storage space on your
> computer. If you remove a current one accidentally it will be rebuilt
> the next time the LiveCode IDE is launched.
>
> http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/895/LC-Documentation-Cache-Cleaner

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Mark, thanks for this.

Couldn´t believe how many cache folders existed on my harddrive.

Regards,

Matthias

On 9/2/18 1:21 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> Posted a utility stack to livecodeshare:
>
> When first launched, the LiveCode IDE will build a documentation cache
> for the current version. When you upgrade to a new version, a new cache
> folder is created, but any older cache is still in the system. When you
> remove an older LiveCode version the cache folder is not removed, so
> these accumulate over time.
>
> This stack will allow you to remove any documentation cache folders that
> are no longer needed in order to reclaim storage space on your computer.
> If you remove a current one accidentally it will be rebuilt the next
> time the LiveCode IDE is launched.
>
> http://livecodeshare.runrev.com/stack/895/LC-Documentation-Cache-Cleaner

Wow, I had no idea. I must have had 30 or 40 of those.

Maybe run it on a Mac, I wasn't able to unhilite the verify button.
Forty dialogs is a bit much. I hit the return key repeatedly and the
backed up queue must have confused it because eventually it stopped
deleting things. I unhilited the button in the property inspector and
after that things went much faster.

But this is still a fantastic tool, thanks much.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Mark,

Very handy!

Thanks,
Jim Lambert

On 09/03/2018 01:56 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> Maybe run it on a Mac, I wasn't able to unhilite the verify button.
Well, that's distressing. I did try it on osx before releasing it, but
I'll go back and check it again - may have skipped a version.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I found it, simple oversight I think. The mouseUp in the button doesn't set
the hilite. Easy to fix.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]

On 09/03/2018 04:35 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
> I found it, simple oversight I think. The mouseUp in the button doesn't
> set the hilite. Easy to fix.

My bad - I actually uploaded an earlier version (and it explicitly set
the hilite to true. New fixed version uploaded now. In my defense...
well, I don't really have a defense: this was slapped together in about
a half-hour of programming, and I should know better.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Handy, but it didn't quite work correctly. I selected all but the 9.0.1 rc1, and tried to uncheck confirm, but it confirmed anyway, and deleted everything but the first 8. I had to do multiple passes before I got them all.

Clicking the confirmation checkbox did not unhilite the button, but rather showed and hid a green checkmark icon.

On 09/04/2018 08:12 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Handy, but it didn't quite work correctly. I selected all but the 9.0.1 rc1, and tried to uncheck confirm, but it confirmed anyway, and deleted everything but the first 8. I had to do multiple passes before I got them all.
>
> Clicking the confirmation checkbox did not unhilite the button, but rather showed and hid a green checkmark icon.

Yeah. Grab it again. It's fixed now.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Mark,

> Am 04.09.2018 um 17:19 schrieb Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> On 09/04/2018 08:12 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
>> Handy, but it didn't quite work correctly. I selected all but the 9.0.1 rc1, and tried to uncheck confirm, but it confirmed anyway, and deleted everything but the first 8. I had to do multiple passes before I got them all.
>> Clicking the confirmation checkbox did not unhilite the button, but rather showed and hid a green checkmark icon.
> Yeah. Grab it again. It's fixed now.

except the embarrasing "checkbox-group". 8-)

> --
> Mark Wieder
> [hidden email]

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

On 9/3/18 9:08 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> My bad - I actually uploaded an earlier version

Nah, your good. This is really useful, and the error was trivial. You
also have to be credited with finding those files that most of us didn't
know existed. I can't believe the cruft my drive accumulated, and Time
Machine was faithfully duplicating all of it -- which is probably one
reason I had to buy a second backup drive. Kudos on you.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
As usual, I posted, THEN read the thread. :-)

Bob S

On 09/04/2018 08:27 AM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

>> Yeah. Grab it again. It's fixed now.
>
> except the embarrasing "checkbox-group". 8-)

/sigh
That updating-a-shared-stack thing is far from intuitive.
Must have missed a step along the way.
The corrected version is now uploaded.

It still bugs me that:

1. the menubar item says "Share this stack"
2. the Login dialog says "revOnline"
3. when you log in, the next window says "Sample Stacks"
4. the website is "livecodeshare"

Mark Wieder wrote:
> It still bugs me that:
>
> 1. the menubar item says "Share this stack"
> 2. the Login dialog says "revOnline"
> 3. when you log in, the next window says "Sample Stacks"
> 4. the website is "livecodeshare"

Several times over the last decade I've discussed with the team the
possibility of creating a community-managed repo, like Python, Perl, and
other languages have.  This is quite achievable as a community project,
and would free up resources within LC Ltd.

Of course for such an effort to be worthwhile it needs the blessing of
the mother ship.  There should be one repo, and no one wants to put many
hours of work into something the company might later displace with their
own.

The last time I was keen on this I stopped pursuing it based on this post:

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2016-November/232864.html

That was quite a while ago.  I've resisted drawing attention to it since
then because I kept hearing it's still in progress but needs more time,
and I see no value in creating any suggestion of controversy over things
we all experience like fluctuating priorities and shifting deadlines.

That said, it has been a while, and the value of one centralized
repository for all LC add-ons has not diminished.

I believe it's time for the community and the company to come together
with a solid, actionable plan for a single repo that will exist by a
knowable date.  With one name.  And only one name. :)

This needn't require any development resources from the company, but
would at a minimum require that they respect the effort, link to it, and
not displace it.

This seems valuable for everyone.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
On September 5, 2018 10:34:40 PM Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The last time I was keen on this I stopped pursuing it based on this post:
>
> http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2016-November/232864.html

We can upload zip files to Sample Stacks? If that's the case then I think
the existing repository could work for now. Libraries, script-only stacks,
externals, LCB files could all be accommodated. If something else is
developed later, the files could be moved or linked to.

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> We can upload zip files to Sample Stacks? If that's the case then
> I think the existing repository could work for now. Libraries,
> script-only stacks, externals, LCB files could all be accommodated.
> If something else is developed later, the files could be moved or
> linked to.

Yes, it's quite adequate.  But it needs a name. One name.  As Mark
Wieder reminded us:

1. the menubar item says "Share this stack"
2. the Login dialog says "revOnline"
3. when you log in, the next window says "Sample Stacks"
4. the website is "livecodeshare"

A little UI touch-up and it could certainly get us through for a while.

So many things can be quite simplified with small but valuable attention
to UI details.

Re: ANN: LC Documentation Cache Cleaner

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Richard wrote of a repository but isn’t this what the new extension store is supposed to provide?

James At The Hale wrote:
 > Richard wrote of a repository but isn’t this what the new extension
 > store is supposed to provide?

I haven't seen an announcement of a new extension store, but if it
includes widgets, libraries, externals, scripts, and stack files and is
searchable by type, license, and price, for everything we share in our
community, both commercial and no charge, and both proprietary and open
source, then yes, that would be what we need.

On 09/06/2018 03:12 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> James At The Hale wrote:
>  > Richard wrote of a repository but isn’t this what the new extension
>  > store is supposed to provide?
>
> I haven't seen an announcement of a new extension store, but if it
> includes widgets, libraries, externals, scripts, and stack files and is
> searchable by type, license, and price, for everything we share in our
> community, both commercial and no charge, and both proprietary and open
> source, then yes, that would be what we need.

There's a new extension store on the way?