[ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hi Everyone,

It is with a lot of excitement that I am here to announce a new plugin
for LiveCode called Network Tracer. This is a zero-configuration plugin
and library combination that creates a "networked log" experience to
help you debug your LC solutions.

To use it, you open the Dashboard stack in the IDE (you can add it to
your plugins folder if you want) and then add the library stack (and
start using it) from your stacks. Any call to the APIs provided will
appear in the Dashboard stack provided that both the Dashboard and the
standalone (or another IDE on another machine) are both in the same
network (LAN, WIFI) and the your firewall is allowing incoming
connections on port 8001 (should just work).

I've prepared a nice video for you to check out:

   https://vimeo.com/296722452

And also a page about it:

   http://andregarzia.com/livecode/networktracer.html

The plugin costs GBP 40 and it has the potential to really speed up your
development, just watch the video to be amazed. Also, I've made a bundle
of my DB Lib, some of my other tools and the Network Tracer for GBP 100,
all that information is on the hyperlink above.

I hope you're all as excited to check it out as I am to provide this new
tool for the community.

Cheers

andre

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
great product Andre...I don't do mobile dev yet, but I can see the benefit
of it to anyone who does.

Wishing you lots of sales.

Cheers

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It is with a lot of excitement that I am here to announce a new plugin
> for LiveCode called Network Tracer. This is a zero-configuration plugin
> and library combination that creates a "networked log" experience to
> help you debug your LC solutions.
>
> To use it, you open the Dashboard stack in the IDE (you can add it to
> your plugins folder if you want) and then add the library stack (and
> start using it) from your stacks. Any call to the APIs provided will
> appear in the Dashboard stack provided that both the Dashboard and the
> standalone (or another IDE on another machine) are both in the same
> network (LAN, WIFI) and the your firewall is allowing incoming
> connections on port 8001 (should just work).
>
> I've prepared a nice video for you to check out:
>
>    https://vimeo.com/296722452
>
> And also a page about it:
>
>    http://andregarzia.com/livecode/networktracer.html
>
> The plugin costs GBP 40 and it has the potential to really speed up your
> development, just watch the video to be amazed. Also, I've made a bundle
> of my DB Lib, some of my other tools and the Network Tracer for GBP 100,
> all that information is on the hyperlink above.
>
> I hope you're all as excited to check it out as I am to provide this new
> tool for the community.
>
> Cheers
>
> andre

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hey Tom,

Thanks for the kind words my friend! I hope we all do lots of sales. :-)

Be aware that this is not a product that is only for mobile. I've shown
it in the context of mobile development (because it is where I think it
is easier to perceive the value of the tool) but it also works for
Desktop usage. For example, imagine you're building a cross-platform app
and you normally do your development on a Mac but you need to debug
something on Windows. You can launch a standalone on a windows machine
and receive the messages on your mac.

It is just an easy way for sending data from stacks on other machines
back to wherever you're running your IDE.

It is not really visible on that video but behind me are both a Surface
running Windows 10 and a Macbook Air running macOS. I was debugging apps
between them prior to recording the video by using this stack.

This might not be a use case that you need, but if at any time in the
future, you see yourself doing one of these cases:

* Doing mobile apps.
* Doing desktop apps that work cross-platform.
* Doing complex network based solutions (such as ERP, or something that
needs to run on an intranet).

This might help you.

Cheers
andre
On 10/23/2018 11:39 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode wrote:

> great product Andre...I don't do mobile dev yet, but I can see the benefit
> of it to anyone who does.
>
> Wishing you lots of sales.
>
> Cheers
>
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 6:28 PM Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> It is with a lot of excitement that I am here to announce a new plugin
>> for LiveCode called Network Tracer. This is a zero-configuration plugin
>> and library combination that creates a "networked log" experience to
>> help you debug your LC solutions.
>>
>> To use it, you open the Dashboard stack in the IDE (you can add it to
>> your plugins folder if you want) and then add the library stack (and
>> start using it) from your stacks. Any call to the APIs provided will
>> appear in the Dashboard stack provided that both the Dashboard and the
>> standalone (or another IDE on another machine) are both in the same
>> network (LAN, WIFI) and the your firewall is allowing incoming
>> connections on port 8001 (should just work).
>>
>> I've prepared a nice video for you to check out:
>>
>>     https://vimeo.com/296722452
>>
>> And also a page about it:
>>
>>     http://andregarzia.com/livecode/networktracer.html
>>
>> The plugin costs GBP 40 and it has the potential to really speed up your
>> development, just watch the video to be amazed. Also, I've made a bundle
>> of my DB Lib, some of my other tools and the Network Tracer for GBP 100,
>> all that information is on the hyperlink above.
>>
>> I hope you're all as excited to check it out as I am to provide this new
>> tool for the community.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> andre

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Hah! I'm sure that was a joke but UDP is User Datagram Protocol.

Bob S

> On Oct 23, 2018, at 15:27 , Andre Alves Garzia via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
> It is with a lot of excitement that I am here to announce a new plugin for LiveCode called Network Tracer. This is a zero-configuration plugin and library combination that creates a "networked log" experience to help you debug your LC solutions.
>
> To use it, you open the Dashboard stack in the IDE (you can add it to your plugins folder if you want) and then add the library stack (and start using it) from your stacks. Any call to the APIs provided will appear in the Dashboard stack provided that both the Dashboard and the standalone (or another IDE on another machine) are both in the same network (LAN, WIFI) and the your firewall is allowing incoming connections on port 8001 (should just work).
>
> I've prepared a nice video for you to check out:
>
>   https://vimeo.com/296722452
>
> And also a page about it:
>
>   http://andregarzia.com/livecode/networktracer.html
>
> The plugin costs GBP 40 and it has the potential to really speed up your development, just watch the video to be amazed. Also, I've made a bundle of my DB Lib, some of my other tools and the Network Tracer for GBP 100, all that information is on the hyperlink above.
>
> I hope you're all as excited to check it out as I am to provide this new tool for the community.
>
> Cheers
>
> andre

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Congratulations on this release, Andre. This looks very useful.

I have a (probably dumb) question... Are your products, such as AAG Tools,
only for use in the IDE, or can tools such as TypeTool be used in standalone
builds?

Thanks,
Tom Bodine

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Dear Tom,

The TypeTool mostly acts on the "the selobj" so unless you start
changing the scripts, it won't make much sense on a standalone.

On the other hand, all the stacks are unlocked and you have access to
the full source. You can pick the code from it and patch it to your own
needs. For a standalone, I think the best solution is just to edit a
copy of the TypeTool stack until it suits your needs.

Cheers
andre
On 10/24/2018 5:13 PM, tbodine via use-livecode wrote:

> Congratulations on this release, Andre. This looks very useful.
>
> I have a (probably dumb) question... Are your products, such as AAG Tools,
> only for use in the IDE, or can tools such as TypeTool be used in standalone
> builds?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom Bodine
>

> --
> Sent from: http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/Revolution-User-f278306.html

Re: [ANN] Network Tracer

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Bob,

It is a joke but it is also true :-)

For example, in the Network Tracer stack there is code to avoid showing
duplicate messages because here on my home network, all the datagrams
are arriving three times. So a single "ntInfo" call on a standalone
amounted to three datagrams with the same message arriving on the
dashboard. But arriving multiple times is better than not arriving,
which also happens.

I am considering in the near future going like my "decentralization talk
on LC Global" and use UDP for peer discovery and TCP for sending actual
data, it is just that UDP is sooooo convenient and for this simple
debugging purpose it is quite adequate. Anyway, we'll see how the
feedback goes and change as needed. For my own personal usage it is
going great.

Cheers