ANN: New page in test.

Andre Garzia
Hi There folks,

I am testing my new page and I'd like feedback from you guys since
the page is most focused on writting interesting things for rev
coders. The page is currently hosted at my house so the system is
slow (slow connection, slow computer) so please be patient, I just
need to see if there's a place for that kind of page. The content is
small now, but I'll be adding content daily. The url is http://
www.andregarzia.com that is not the final url but a temporary one,
before I move my www.soapdog.org domain. The url will redirect to my
home machine on a non standard port, so that you guys end up on
http://home.soapdog.org:8080/

cheers
andre

Re: ANN: New page in test.

Dan Shafer
Andre....

A blog from you on technical things would be quite interesting and
useful, I'm sure.

Curious why you're using Manila when you have your own blogging
tools. I mean, I like Manila and all, but does it offer some big
advantages that you couldn't get into your own blog tools?

I'd definitely read it.

Dan

On Jul 31, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> Hi There folks,
>
> I am testing my new page and I'd like feedback from you guys since
> the page is most focused on writting interesting things for rev
> coders. The page is currently hosted at my house so the system is
> slow (slow connection, slow computer) so please be patient, I just
> need to see if there's a place for that kind of page. The content
> is small now, but I'll be adding content daily. The url is http://
> www.andregarzia.com that is not the final url but a temporary one,
> before I move my www.soapdog.org domain. The url will redirect to
> my home machine on a non standard port, so that you guys end up on
> http://home.soapdog.org:8080/
>
> cheers
> andre

Re: ANN: New page in test.

Andre Garzia

On Jul 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> Andre....
>
> A blog from you on technical things would be quite interesting and
> useful, I'm sure.
>
> Curious why you're using Manila when you have your own blogging
> tools. I mean, I like Manila and all, but does it offer some big
> advantages that you couldn't get into your own blog tools?
>
> I'd definitely read it.
>
> Dan

Dan,

I guess I'll create  a "why manila" article :-D

The point is, my blogging tools are not on par with manila features
yet. Manila is very powerfull and it's built in editor and image
upload features enable me to work my page from anywhere. I am working
on a little manila-like tool but it is not ready yet, so for now, I
stick with manila. All my blogging tools are just me trying to clone
frontier/manila for I think it's the most powerfull and elegant
solution available. Since the frontier kernel was opened, my old
frontier interest was reborn and I reinstalled manila trial here, it
will run for two months. I hope that in the end of this period or my
blogging tools will be as powerfull as I want them to be, or that
I'll have the money to buy a frontier copy for myself!

The main thing was: should I wait for my tools to mature as much as I
thought they need before creating my page or should I start with the
tool I like best and then go improving my apps using my daily
experience with manila as a guidance... I decided to start now! :-D

Cheers
andre

> On Jul 31, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>

>> Hi There folks,
>>
>> I am testing my new page and I'd like feedback from you guys since
>> the page is most focused on writting interesting things for rev
>> coders. The page is currently hosted at my house so the system is
>> slow (slow connection, slow computer) so please be patient, I just
>> need to see if there's a place for that kind of page. The content
>> is small now, but I'll be adding content daily. The url is http://
>> www.andregarzia.com that is not the final url but a temporary one,
>> before I move my www.soapdog.org domain. The url will redirect to
>> my home machine on a non standard port, so that you guys end up on
>> http://home.soapdog.org:8080/
>>
>> cheers
>> andre

Re: ANN: New page in test.

william humphrey-2
Your page works fine but Manila cost $1000! Why not use plog or some other
blogging tool that is not so expensive? I am looking for a very simple
blogging tool, easy to post too with photos, easy to set-up RSS and runs on
Linux.

What is your advice?

Bill

On 7/31/05 7:03 PM, "Andre Garzia" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>
>> Andre....
>>
>> A blog from you on technical things would be quite interesting and
>> useful, I'm sure.
>>
>> Curious why you're using Manila when you have your own blogging
>> tools. I mean, I like Manila and all, but does it offer some big
>> advantages that you couldn't get into your own blog tools?
>>
>> I'd definitely read it.
>>
>> Dan
>
> Dan,
>
> I guess I'll create  a "why manila" article :-D
>
> The point is, my blogging tools are not on par with manila features
> yet. Manila is very powerfull and it's built in editor and image
> upload features enable me to work my page from anywhere. I am working
> on a little manila-like tool but it is not ready yet, so for now, I
> stick with manila. All my blogging tools are just me trying to clone
> frontier/manila for I think it's the most powerfull and elegant
> solution available. Since the frontier kernel was opened, my old
> frontier interest was reborn and I reinstalled manila trial here, it
> will run for two months. I hope that in the end of this period or my
> blogging tools will be as powerfull as I want them to be, or that
> I'll have the money to buy a frontier copy for myself!
>
> The main thing was: should I wait for my tools to mature as much as I
> thought they need before creating my page or should I start with the
> tool I like best and then go improving my apps using my daily
> experience with manila as a guidance... I decided to start now! :-D
>
> Cheers
> andre
>

>> On Jul 31, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>>

>>> Hi There folks,
>>>
>>> I am testing my new page and I'd like feedback from you guys since
>>> the page is most focused on writting interesting things for rev
>>> coders. The page is currently hosted at my house so the system is
>>> slow (slow connection, slow computer) so please be patient, I just
>>> need to see if there's a place for that kind of page. The content
>>> is small now, but I'll be adding content daily. The url is http://
>>> www.andregarzia.com that is not the final url but a temporary one,
>>> before I move my www.soapdog.org domain. The url will redirect to
>>> my home machine on a non standard port, so that you guys end up on
>>> http://home.soapdog.org:8080/
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> andre

            |    |    |
           )_)  )_)  )_)
          )___))___))___)\
         )____)____)_____)\\
       _____|____|____|____\\\__
-------\                   /--------- http://www.bluewatermaritime.com
 ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
       ^^^^      ^^^

24 hour cell: (787) 378-6190
fax: (787) 809-8426

Blue Water Maritime
P.O. Box 91
Puerto Real, PR 00740

Re: ANN: New page in test.

Dan Shafer
I found Manila confusingly robust and annoyingly complex. I prefer
Web Crossing, which is what i use for my blog (http://
www.eclecticity.com). Web Crossing is more expensive than Manila, but
it is also more fully featured, being a true all-in-one server
package backed by a completely user-extensible object database and
all of it entirely scriptable in JavaScript.

But at least I now understand why you went with another product.

Dan

On Jul 31, 2005, at 4:03 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>

>> Andre....
>>
>> A blog from you on technical things would be quite interesting and
>> useful, I'm sure.
>>
>> Curious why you're using Manila when you have your own blogging
>> tools. I mean, I like Manila and all, but does it offer some big
>> advantages that you couldn't get into your own blog tools?
>>
>> I'd definitely read it.
>>
>> Dan
>>

> Dan,
>
> I guess I'll create  a "why manila" article :-D
>
> The point is, my blogging tools are not on par with manila features
> yet. Manila is very powerfull and it's built in editor and image
> upload features enable me to work my page from anywhere. I am
> working on a little manila-like tool but it is not ready yet, so
> for now, I stick with manila. All my blogging tools are just me
> trying to clone frontier/manila for I think it's the most powerfull
> and elegant solution available. Since the frontier kernel was
> opened, my old frontier interest was reborn and I reinstalled
> manila trial here, it will run for two months. I hope that in the
> end of this period or my blogging tools will be as powerfull as I
> want them to be, or that I'll have the money to buy a frontier copy
> for myself!
>
> The main thing was: should I wait for my tools to mature as much as
> I thought they need before creating my page or should I start with
> the tool I like best and then go improving my apps using my daily
> experience with manila as a guidance... I decided to start now! :-D
>
> Cheers
> andre
>

>> On Jul 31, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>>

>>> Hi There folks,
>>>
>>> I am testing my new page and I'd like feedback from you guys
>>> since the page is most focused on writting interesting things for
>>> rev coders. The page is currently hosted at my house so the
>>> system is slow (slow connection, slow computer) so please be
>>> patient, I just need to see if there's a place for that kind of
>>> page. The content is small now, but I'll be adding content daily.
>>> The url is http://www.andregarzia.com that is not the final url
>>> but a temporary one, before I move my www.soapdog.org domain. The
>>> url will redirect to my home machine on a non standard port, so
>>> that you guys end up on http://home.soapdog.org:8080/
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> andre

Re: ANN: New page in test.

Dan Shafer
FYI and FWIW, my research indicates that WordPress is probably the
best of the free blog tools out there. I think it supports everything
you want. While RSS isn't built in there are a lot of easy-to-install
third party tools that handle it quite elegantly.

http://www.wordpress.org

Dan

On Jul 31, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Bill wrote:

> Your page works fine but Manila cost $1000! Why not use plog or
> some other
> blogging tool that is not so expensive? I am looking for a very simple
> blogging tool, easy to post too with photos, easy to set-up RSS and
> runs on
> Linux.
>
> What is your advice?
>
> Bill
>

> On 7/31/05 7:03 PM, "Andre Garzia" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 31, 2005, at 7:54 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:
>>

>>> Andre....
>>>
>>> A blog from you on technical things would be quite interesting and
>>> useful, I'm sure.
>>>
>>> Curious why you're using Manila when you have your own blogging
>>> tools. I mean, I like Manila and all, but does it offer some big
>>> advantages that you couldn't get into your own blog tools?
>>>
>>> I'd definitely read it.
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Dan,
>>
>> I guess I'll create  a "why manila" article :-D
>>
>> The point is, my blogging tools are not on par with manila features
>> yet. Manila is very powerfull and it's built in editor and image
>> upload features enable me to work my page from anywhere. I am working
>> on a little manila-like tool but it is not ready yet, so for now, I
>> stick with manila. All my blogging tools are just me trying to clone
>> frontier/manila for I think it's the most powerfull and elegant
>> solution available. Since the frontier kernel was opened, my old
>> frontier interest was reborn and I reinstalled manila trial here, it
>> will run for two months. I hope that in the end of this period or my
>> blogging tools will be as powerfull as I want them to be, or that
>> I'll have the money to buy a frontier copy for myself!
>>
>> The main thing was: should I wait for my tools to mature as much as I
>> thought they need before creating my page or should I start with the
>> tool I like best and then go improving my apps using my daily
>> experience with manila as a guidance... I decided to start now! :-D
>>
>> Cheers
>> andre

>             |    |    |
>            )_)  )_)  )_)
>           )___))___))___)\
>          )____)____)_____)\\
>        _____|____|____|____\\\__
> -------\                   /--------- http://www.bluewatermaritime.com
>  ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   ^^^^      ^^^^     ^^^    ^^
>        ^^^^      ^^^
>
> 24 hour cell: (787) 378-6190
> fax: (787) 809-8426
>
> Blue Water Maritime
> P.O. Box 91
> Puerto Real, PR 00740

Re: ANN: New page in test.

Stephen Barncard
to butt in here...

I've found that Gallery2 is by far the best way to post and organize
photos online

and the latest Wordpress is a very easy blog/CMS to set up and use.

both are PHP/MySQL/ open source donationware.

a killer combination that can be set up in hours.

sqb

>Your page works fine but Manila cost $1000! Why not use plog or some other
>blogging tool that is not so expensive? I am looking for a very simple
>blogging tool, easy to post too with photos, easy to set-up RSS and runs on
>Linux.
>
>What is your advice?
>
>Bill

Re: ANN: New page in test.

william humphrey-2
Is it also easy to set-up an RSS feed for this combination
(wordpress/Gallery2)?

I like how plog http://www.plogworld.net/ lets you easily put images up. It
is also PHP/MySQL and very simple to load. It also has RSS feed.

On 8/1/05 4:34 PM, "Stephen Barncard" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> to butt in here...
>
> I've found that Gallery2 is by far the best way to post and organize
> photos online
>
> and the latest Wordpress is a very easy blog/CMS to set up and use.
>
> both are PHP/MySQL/ open source donationware.
>
> a killer combination that can be set up in hours.
>
> sqb
>
>> Your page works fine but Manila cost $1000! Why not use plog or some other
>> blogging tool that is not so expensive? I am looking for a very simple
>> blogging tool, easy to post too with photos, easy to set-up RSS and runs on
>> Linux.
>>
>> What is your advice?
>>
>> Bill