[ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Peter TB Brett
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.0-dp-2, a
development preview of LiveCode 8.1.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up
your stacks before testing them.


Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at
https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/#8_1_0 or via the automatic updater.


Release Contents
================
Full release notes:
https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_0_dp_2.pdf

Improved return command
-----------------------
You can now "return error <value>" and or "return error <value>" to set
the "it" variable and/or "the result" directly from LiveCode Script
commands and functions.

LiveCode "Infinite" improvements to LCB
---------------------------------------
* Out parameters are now initialized by default
* Variables now have lexical scope
* You can now include hand-written LCB bytecode in "bytecode" blocks
* Foreign handlers are now unsafe by default; the language now has
"unsafe" blocks and handlers

New mobile GPS support on Android & iOS
---------------------------------------
* Location history is now available, so that detailed location
resolution over time can be tracked even if the processing of the
"locationChanged" message is delayed.
* The accuracy of Android GPS timestamps has been improved

New Windows player control
--------------------------
* Several problems with the new Windows player control have been
addressed, including the default set of codecs supported, and some
rendering and control issues
* Important changes to the default value and interpretation of the
"dontUseQT" property

More!
-----
* Get synchronous modifier key state with the "eventAltKey",
"eventShiftKey" (etc.) functions
* New "vectorDotProduct()" function
* Improved dictionary user interface, including clear indication for
deprecated entries
* More than 50 bugs fixed, including many crashes

Known issues
============
* HTML5 standalones do not currently work when they contain extensions
with dependencies
* 64-bit standalones for Mac OS X do not have support for audio
recording or the revVideoGrabber external
* The default video is in .mov format which is not supported by the new
Windows player (bug 17696), and several player properties have
not yet been implemented (see release notes)


Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered either to our support team
<[hidden email]> or on our Bugzilla at http://quality.livecode.com/


Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Mike Kerner
As discussed on the other side, the new return syntax is
return value <value> to set "it"
return error <value> to set "the result"

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.0-dp-2, a
> development preview of LiveCode 8.1.
>
> Developer Preview Release
> =========================
> Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up
> your stacks before testing them.
>
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/#8_1_0
> or via the automatic updater.
>
>
> Release Contents
> ================
> Full release notes:
> https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_0_dp_2.pdf
>
> Improved return command
> -----------------------
> You can now "return error <value>" and or "return error <value>" to set
> the "it" variable and/or "the result" directly from LiveCode Script
> commands and functions.
>
> LiveCode "Infinite" improvements to LCB
> ---------------------------------------
> * Out parameters are now initialized by default
> * Variables now have lexical scope
> * You can now include hand-written LCB bytecode in "bytecode" blocks
> * Foreign handlers are now unsafe by default; the language now has
> "unsafe" blocks and handlers
>
> New mobile GPS support on Android & iOS
> ---------------------------------------
> * Location history is now available, so that detailed location resolution
> over time can be tracked even if the processing of the "locationChanged"
> message is delayed.
> * The accuracy of Android GPS timestamps has been improved
>
> New Windows player control
> --------------------------
> * Several problems with the new Windows player control have been
> addressed, including the default set of codecs supported, and some
> rendering and control issues
> * Important changes to the default value and interpretation of the
> "dontUseQT" property
>
> More!
> -----
> * Get synchronous modifier key state with the "eventAltKey",
> "eventShiftKey" (etc.) functions
> * New "vectorDotProduct()" function
> * Improved dictionary user interface, including clear indication for
> deprecated entries
> * More than 50 bugs fixed, including many crashes
>
> Known issues
> ============
> * HTML5 standalones do not currently work when they contain extensions
> with dependencies
> * 64-bit standalones for Mac OS X do not have support for audio recording
> or the revVideoGrabber external
> * The default video is in .mov format which is not supported by the new
> Windows player (bug 17696), and several player properties have
> not yet been implemented (see release notes)
>
>
> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered either to our support team <
> [hidden email]> or on our Bugzilla at http://quality.livecode.com/
>
>
> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
On the second day, God created the oceans.
On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richmond Mathewson-2
In reply to this post by Peter TB Brett
Still waiting (64-bit, Linux) for the Dictionary.

Richmond.

On 30.06.2016 16:00, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.0-dp-2, a
> development preview of LiveCode 8.1.
>
> Developer Preview Release
> =========================
> Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up
> your stacks before testing them.
>
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at
> https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/#8_1_0 or via the automatic
> updater.
>
>
> Release Contents
> ================
> Full release notes:
> https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_0_dp_2.pdf
>
> Improved return command
> -----------------------
> You can now "return error <value>" and or "return error <value>" to
> set the "it" variable and/or "the result" directly from LiveCode
> Script commands and functions.
>
> LiveCode "Infinite" improvements to LCB
> ---------------------------------------
> * Out parameters are now initialized by default
> * Variables now have lexical scope
> * You can now include hand-written LCB bytecode in "bytecode" blocks
> * Foreign handlers are now unsafe by default; the language now has
> "unsafe" blocks and handlers
>
> New mobile GPS support on Android & iOS
> ---------------------------------------
> * Location history is now available, so that detailed location
> resolution over time can be tracked even if the processing of the
> "locationChanged" message is delayed.
> * The accuracy of Android GPS timestamps has been improved
>
> New Windows player control
> --------------------------
> * Several problems with the new Windows player control have been
> addressed, including the default set of codecs supported, and some
> rendering and control issues
> * Important changes to the default value and interpretation of the
> "dontUseQT" property
>
> More!
> -----
> * Get synchronous modifier key state with the "eventAltKey",
> "eventShiftKey" (etc.) functions
> * New "vectorDotProduct()" function
> * Improved dictionary user interface, including clear indication for
> deprecated entries
> * More than 50 bugs fixed, including many crashes
>
> Known issues
> ============
> * HTML5 standalones do not currently work when they contain extensions
> with dependencies
> * 64-bit standalones for Mac OS X do not have support for audio
> recording or the revVideoGrabber external
> * The default video is in .mov format which is not supported by the
> new Windows player (bug 17696), and several player properties have
> not yet been implemented (see release notes)
>
>
> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered either to our support team
> <[hidden email]> or on our Bugzilla at http://quality.livecode.com/
>
>
> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
Richmond wrote:
 > Still waiting (64-bit, Linux) for the Dictionary.

Which distro?

I've been able to use the Dictionary on 64-bit Ubuntu (14.04, 15.10, and
16.04) ever since LC v8.0rc1.

@LC Ltd:  good work on the Dictionary UI refinements.  MUCH more usable.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Warren Samples
In reply to this post by Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/30/2016 11:02 AM, Richmond wrote:
> Still waiting (64-bit, Linux) for the Dictionary.
>
> Richmond.


I understand your frustration, Richmond. I can't open LiveCode on my
Linux machine running the current release of openSUSE (Leap). I can,
however, run it under different release versions of openSUSE and have it
open right now in a virtual machine running openSUSE Tumbleweed. The
dictionary seems to work just fine. I have seen from your previous
discussion of this problem that you've been willing to go to some
lengths to get a working dictionary and I salute your perseverance. Have
you ever tried opening LiveCode from the command line and selecting the
dictionary to see if it gives you any useful messages?
When I do that it gives me this:

"[0630/121025:ERROR:browser_main_loop.cc(203)] Running without the SUID
sandbox! See
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/wiki/LinuxSUIDSandboxDevelopment for
more information on developing with the sandbox on."

Despite this message, the dictionary does open and display content. It's
possible you'll get some other message which might be useful.

What happens if you put a browser on a card, assign it a URL and select
the LC browse tool? Does it display content as expected?

Warren

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
Warren Samples wrote:

 > I can't open LiveCode on my Linux machine running the current release
 > of openSUSE (Leap). I can, however, run it under different release
 > versions of openSUSE and have it open right now in a virtual machine
 > running openSUSE Tumbleweed. The dictionary seems to work just fine.

Good to know the Dictionary works there, but let's explore your other
SUSE versions and see if we can get the boot issue resolved.

Bryan Lunduke works for SUSE, and recently wrote a very enthusiastic
review of LC 8 after running it on SUSE and Elementary:
<http://www.networkworld.com/article/3079523/application-development/review-livecode-8-is-freaking-incredible.html>

Have you run LC with ldd to see if it's unable to find an expected package?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Mike Kerner
FYI, the new return syntax is different than what was described.

return x for error
return x for value
return x

The behavior:
with a handler, return x for error and return x do the same thing - the
result gets x and it gets nothing.  With return x for value, it gets x and
the result gets nothing.

in a function, In a function, return x for error does nothing - the
function terminates without returning a value, and it and the result are
empty.  return x for value and return x do the same thing - the container
assigned gets the return value gets x, the result gets nothing.

--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
On the second day, God created the oceans.
On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Peter TB Brett
On 30/06/2016 22:20, Mike Kerner wrote:

> in a function, In a function, return x for error does nothing - the
> function terminates without returning a value, and it and the result are
> empty.  return x for value and return x do the same thing - the container
> assigned gets the return value gets x, the result gets nothing.

That sounds like a bug to me... "return x for error" in a function is
supposed to terminate the function without returning a value, and set
the result to x.  Can you please file a bug with your recipe?

                                     Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

LiveCode 2016 Conference https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Mike Kerner
well, "return error x" gives me a syntax error, and the documentation
specifies the syntax I describe, and indicates that it changed in 8.1.0, so
before I do anything, why don't we clarify what we think it's supposed to
be, first.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 30/06/2016 22:20, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
> in a function, In a function, return x for error does nothing - the
>> function terminates without returning a value, and it and the result are
>> empty.  return x for value and return x do the same thing - the container
>> assigned gets the return value gets x, the result gets nothing.
>>
>
> That sounds like a bug to me... "return x for error" in a function is
> supposed to terminate the function without returning a value, and set the
> result to x.  Can you please file a bug with your recipe?
>
>                                     Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> LiveCode 2016 Conference https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>



--
On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
On the second day, God created the oceans.
On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Monte Goulding-2
I don’t think there’s a bug but it may be appear so depending on how you test the function. For example:

get func() — will set it to the return val so don’t do that to test this

Additionally the result is district from the value of the function so:

put func() is the result — will be false

For clarity here’s the tests that pass for this build:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/tests/lcs/core/engine/return.livecodescript

Cheers

Monte

> On 1 Jul 2016, at 7:34 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> well, "return error x" gives me a syntax error, and the documentation
> specifies the syntax I describe, and indicates that it changed in 8.1.0, so
> before I do anything, why don't we clarify what we think it's supposed to
> be, first.
>
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 5:30 PM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 30/06/2016 22:20, Mike Kerner wrote:
>>
>> in a function, In a function, return x for error does nothing - the
>>> function terminates without returning a value, and it and the result are
>>> empty.  return x for value and return x do the same thing - the container
>>> assigned gets the return value gets x, the result gets nothing.
>>>
>>
>> That sounds like a bug to me... "return x for error" in a function is
>> supposed to terminate the function without returning a value, and set the
>> result to x.  Can you please file a bug with your recipe?
>>
>>                                    Peter
>>
>> --
>> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
>> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>>
>> LiveCode 2016 Conference https://livecode.com/edinburgh-2016/
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> use-livecode mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
>> subscription preferences:
>> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>>
>
>
>
> --
> On the first day, God created the heavens and the Earth
> On the second day, God created the oceans.
> On the third day, God put the animals on hold for a few hours,
>   and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> [hidden email]
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Mark Waddingham-2
In reply to this post by Mike Kerner
On 2016-06-30 23:34, Mike Kerner wrote:
> well, "return error x" gives me a syntax error, and the documentation
> specifies the syntax I describe, and indicates that it changed in
> 8.1.0, so
> before I do anything, why don't we clarify what we think it's supposed
> to
> be, first.

The release note is incorrect - the dictionary is correct.

The original syntax (in the release note) is ambiguous, so we had to
change it but I forgot to amend the release note.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Warren Samples
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
On 06/30/2016 03:10 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote:
>
>  > I can't open LiveCode on my Linux machine running the current release
>  > of openSUSE (Leap). I can, however, run it under different release
>  > versions of openSUSE and have it open right now in a virtual machine
>  > running openSUSE Tumbleweed. The dictionary seems to work just fine.
>
> Good to know the Dictionary works there, but let's explore your other
> SUSE versions and see if we can get the boot issue resolved.
>
> Bryan Lunduke works for SUSE, and recently wrote a very enthusiastic
> review of LC 8 after running it on SUSE and Elementary:
> <http://www.networkworld.com/article/3079523/application-development/review-livecode-8-is-freaking-incredible.html>
>
>
> Have you run LC with ldd to see if it's unable to find an expected package?
>

Richard,

Yes, I saw the article and noticed he had tried it under openSUSE. He
doesn't say in the article which version he used for his review, but he
has mentioned elsewhere that he prefers a rolling release and uses
Tumbleweed.

ldd doesn't show anything missing. Getting LiveCode to run under
Tumbleweed requires no head scratching or additional installation of
libs, using the official installation DVD and as well the geckoLinux
spin (rolling version) in both the XFCE and Budgie flavors.

There's a thread on the dev list with the subject "LiveCode fails to
open in openSUSE Leap".


Warren

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

mwieder
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
On 06/30/2016 11:44 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Richmond wrote:
>  > Still waiting (64-bit, Linux) for the Dictionary.
>
> Which distro?
>
> I've been able to use the Dictionary on 64-bit Ubuntu (14.04, 15.10, and
> 16.04) ever since LC v8.0rc1.
>
> @LC Ltd:  good work on the Dictionary UI refinements.  MUCH more usable.
>

The dictionary "works" for me in 64-bit linux, but only thusly:

open the dictionary
you get a blank pane
close the dictionary
open it again

--
  Mark Wieder
  [hidden email]

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
--
 Mark Wieder
 ahsoftware@gmail.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richmond Mathewson-2
Nothing doing over here (Xubuntu 16.04 64 bit) either with
Community or Indy.

Richmond.

On 1.07.2016 08:07, Mark Wieder wrote:

> On 06/30/2016 11:44 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Richmond wrote:
>>  > Still waiting (64-bit, Linux) for the Dictionary.
>>
>> Which distro?
>>
>> I've been able to use the Dictionary on 64-bit Ubuntu (14.04, 15.10, and
>> 16.04) ever since LC v8.0rc1.
>>
>> @LC Ltd:  good work on the Dictionary UI refinements.  MUCH more usable.
>>
>
> The dictionary "works" for me in 64-bit linux, but only thusly:
>
> open the dictionary
> you get a blank pane
> close the dictionary
> open it again
>


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
In reply to this post by Warren Samples
Warren Samples wrote:
> ldd doesn't show anything missing. Getting LiveCode to run under
> Tumbleweed requires no head scratching or additional installation of
> libs, using the official installation DVD and as well the geckoLinux
> spin (rolling version) in both the XFCE and Budgie flavors.
>
> There's a thread on the dev list with the subject "LiveCode fails to
> open in openSUSE Leap".

Searching for that string gave me zero results, and searching for
"OpenSUSE" brought up many old threads.

URL?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
In reply to this post by mwieder
Mark Wieder wrote:
 > The dictionary "works" for me in 64-bit linux, but only thusly:
 >
 > open the dictionary
 > you get a blank pane
 > close the dictionary
 > open it again

An electrician, an engineer, and a programmer are driving to Vegas when
the car suddenly shudders to a stop.

The electrician suggests, "I think we should check the spark plugs."

The engineer says, "I think we should check the intake valves."

The programmer says, "I think we should get out of the car and then get
back into it again."


--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Warren Samples
In reply to this post by Richard Gaskin
On 07/01/2016 10:00 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote:
>> ldd doesn't show anything missing. Getting LiveCode to run under
>> Tumbleweed requires no head scratching or additional installation of
>> libs, using the official installation DVD and as well the geckoLinux
>> spin (rolling version) in both the XFCE and Budgie flavors.
>>
>> There's a thread on the dev list with the subject "LiveCode fails to
>> open in openSUSE Leap".
>
> Searching for that string gave me zero results, and searching for
> "OpenSUSE" brought up many old threads.
>
> URL?
>


I follow the lists locally, in my email client, so I can't provide you a
URL. The thread was started on 6-23 on the LiveCode Developer List. Here
is the content of the original post:

---------------(start quote)---------------

The 64 bit LiveCode IDE fails to open for me under openSUSE Leap 42.1.
It was previously working under openSUSE versions 12.x and 13.x. While
there was a period when it failed under Tumbleweed (rolling release), it
works in at least the last two snapshots. Simple standalones work as do
simple LC Server scripts.

The first few times I tried, the LiveCode splash screen hanged while
loading the menu bar (the last text displayed) and the process had to be
killed. Now the splash screen disappears after less than a second.

Here is the tail of the livecode_tools_log:
  Loading Script Editor...
     Enter Script Editor Initialisation
     Leave Script Editor Initialisation
     Loading User Icon Libraries...
     Enter User Libraries Initialisation
     Leave User Libraries Initialisation
     Loading Error Management...
     Enter Errors Initialisation
     Leave Errors Initialisation
     Loading Menu Bar...
     Enter Menus Initialisation
       Trying to get the platform
       Linux

Starting LiveCode from the command line returns this error:
"Error in
`/home/warren/.runrev/components/livecodecommunity-8.0.2-rc-2.x86_64/livecodecommunity.x86_64':
free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x0000000004e84a80"

and sends this to stderr:
     "Use of deprecated SAXv1 function setDocumentLocator
     Got SIGIOT"

It's strange that SUSE built on older and newer libs both work while the
current "main" version does not. Do these errors reveal any useful clues
as to what might be done to get it working?

The shell prints a backtrace. Would this be helpful to see? Running
LiveCode through strace using some particular option?

--------------- (end quote)---------------

To clarify the last sentence of the first paragraph of the original
(copied here from the dev list) post, simple standalones and LiveCode
Server do work under Leap, it's the IDE that is the problem.

openSUSE is quietly one of the more popular distros and Leap is the
current "standard" release so it might be a good thing to get this
figured out. I wonder what LiveCode does just after it gets the
platform, as it finishes up the menus initialization. I posted the shell
backtrace at:

<http://warren.ws/lc_cli_output.txt>

It should be noted that if I run the command several times, the
backtrace will not consistently end with the same lines; sometimes
aborting with more lines and sometimes fewer.

Thank you for looking at this :)

Warren


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
Warren Samples wrote:

 > The 64 bit LiveCode IDE fails to open for me under openSUSE Leap
 > 42.1.
...
 > The shell prints a backtrace. Would this be helpful to see? Running
 > LiveCode through strace using some particular option?
 >
 > --------------- (end quote)---------------
 >
 > To clarify the last sentence of the first paragraph of the original
 > (copied here from the dev list) post, simple standalones and LiveCode
 > Server do work under Leap, it's the IDE that is the problem.

Good sleuthing so far.  Narrowing it down to the IDE is especially
useful, as it suggests something that may eventually affect standalones,
since of course the IDE is just a collection of stacks itself.

I'm not familiar with backtrace, but the output appears to be very
different from strace.  Have you run strace?  To get going I wouldn't
worry about flags, even the defaults would likely yield useful info.

What's the bug report ID for this?  Maybe the logs should be included as
attachments there.
--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Warren Samples
On 07/01/2016 11:53 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote:
>
>  > The 64 bit LiveCode IDE fails to open for me under openSUSE Leap
>  > 42.1.
> ...
>  > The shell prints a backtrace. Would this be helpful to see? Running
>  > LiveCode through strace using some particular option?
>  >
>  > --------------- (end quote)---------------
>  >
>  > To clarify the last sentence of the first paragraph of the original
>  > (copied here from the dev list) post, simple standalones and LiveCode
>  > Server do work under Leap, it's the IDE that is the problem.
>
> Good sleuthing so far.  Narrowing it down to the IDE is especially
> useful, as it suggests something that may eventually affect standalones,
> since of course the IDE is just a collection of stacks itself.
>
> I'm not familiar with backtrace, but the output appears to be very
> different from strace.  Have you run strace?  To get going I wouldn't
> worry about flags, even the defaults would likely yield useful info.
>
> What's the bug report ID for this?  Maybe the logs should be included as
> attachments there.http://warren.ws/strace-LC-output.txt


Richard,

I never filed a bug report. I reported my problem in a reply to another
release announcement fairly recently and didn't receive any comment from
any of the devs that have been generously participating on this list so
I (perhaps stupidly and/or unfairly) took that to mean there was little
interest in tackling it. Linux is not anything like a single target and
we've all seen the dreaded "we can't reproduce it here" response that
has to be as frustrating to the devs as it is to those of us who have
the problem :D I'm grateful for the interest you and Mark Wieder have
shown. I'm not averse to filing or contributing to bug reports and will
do so with your encouragement.

The strace output, run without any flags, is 2.4 MB and 27,000+ lines.
It means nothing to me, dilettante that I am. You can find it here:
<http://warren.ws/strace-LC-output.txt> If you can think of any flags
which might make it more manageable or useful, I will be happy to run it
again.

Warren

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Richard Gaskin
Warren Samples wrote:

 > I never filed a bug report. I reported my problem in a reply to
 > another release announcement fairly recently and didn't receive
 > any comment from any of the devs that have been generously
 > participating on this list so  I (perhaps stupidly and/or unfairly)
 > took that to mean there was little interest in tackling it. Linux
 > is not anything like a single target and we've all seen the dreaded
 > "we can't reproduce it here" response that has to be as frustrating
 > to the devs as it is to those of us who have the problem :D I'm
 > grateful for the interest you and Mark Wieder have shown. I'm not
 > averse to filing or contributing to bug reports and will do so with
 > your encouragement.

I would suggest filing the report.  If anyone complains, I'll take the
heat. :)

It may be that this is something we'll fix as a community effort, but at
least having it in the bug DB will give us a central place to share
notes and logs as we work toward a resolution.

Please let me know the report ID/URL when you post it so I can add
myself to the CC list and review the info there to see if I can help
triage it.

Thanks -

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems
  Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web
  ____________________________________________________________________
  [hidden email]                http://www.FourthWorld.com


_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
12