[ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================

LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
security and stability improvements:

- A couple of crashes have been fixed.
- New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related bugs
is included.
- The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.

A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.

Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
selected default handler to the end of the current script.

The full release notes are available from:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I am impressed with the new default handler list . . .

BUT . . . I wonder why, on choosing either mouseDown or mouseUp it prompts
me for a mouseButton number . . .

if this feature is meant to speed things up, it doesn't, as one normally
spends time choosing the default
handler and then deleting the mouseButton thing.

A great idea that needs a bit of sorting out.

Richmond.

On 7/11/17 5:54 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
> security and stability improvements:
>
> - A couple of crashes have been fixed.
> - New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related bugs
> is included.
> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>
> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>
> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>
> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
H Richmond,

Thanks for the feedback.

The default handlers appear exactly as they are in the dictionary. Indeed,
the mouseUp handler for example does take a parameter <mouseButtonNumber>
(see dictionary).

If you don't need to do different things in the mouseUp handler depending
on the <mouseButtonNumber>, you can just ignore it (e.g. no need to delete
this param), and it will act just like a regular mouseUp handler with no
params.

Best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am impressed with the new default handler list . . .
>
> BUT . . . I wonder why, on choosing either mouseDown or mouseUp it prompts
> me for a mouseButton number . . .
>
> if this feature is meant to speed things up, it doesn't, as one normally
> spends time choosing the default
> handler and then deleting the mouseButton thing.
>
> A great idea that needs a bit of sorting out.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 7/11/17 5:54 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.
>>
>> Getting the Release
>> ===================
>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>> via
>> the automatic updater.
>>

>> Release Contents
>> ================
>>
>> LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
>> security and stability improvements:
>>
>> - A couple of crashes have been fixed.
>> - New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related
>> bugs
>> is included.
>> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>>
>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>>
>> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
>> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
>> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
>> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
>> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>>
>> The full release notes are available from:
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>>

>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>

>> Have fun!
>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.

I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct expression.
Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to make at least the height of that list smaller?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Is it something perhaps you could get used to?

We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 11/07/2017, 23:05, "use-livecode on behalf of Matthias Rebbe via
use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
[hidden email]> wrote:

>Matthias Rebbe
>+49 5741 310000
>?matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>?
>>

>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability
>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>
>I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I
>find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct
>expression.
>Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to make
>at least the height of that list smaller?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have played a bit with the enhanced script editor and while I like the idea with the handler lists I am not sure that the implementation is as good as it could be.

I find it a bit confusing to see a list of handlers in the handler list without any actual handlers in the script itself. From my experiences teaching coding with LiveCode, I think that my students also will find this a bit confusing. I think the handlers should be moved to a menu or a scrolling list above the list that shows which handlers are currently used in the script. Then there will be a clear visual division between handlers created by the user and handlers that are available to the user. It is also important that this menu/list is labeled properly. In a script with a lot of handlers, the handler list will eventually be pushed out of sight the way it is implemented now.
If this list should be helpful to more inexperienced users, it is vital that the most common handlers for any given control appear at the top of the list. The more esoteric once can be placed at the bottom of the menu/list. It is also vital to think through which handlers are shown in the script of which control, especially since you can place almost any handler in the script of any control, as long as there is a call to that handler further up in the message hierarchy.
Better uniformity in how the handlers are presented when inserted into the script is needed. The mouseUp handler comes with comments explaining the handler, whereas the mouseDown handler does not. Also, params containing the same values should be called the same. In mouseUp the parameter is called mouseButtonNumer, in moouseDown it is called pMouseButton.

These are some of my initial thoughts about what I think can be a very useful enhancement to the editor.

Regards
Tore Nilsen

> 11. jul. 2017 kl. 16:54 skrev panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
> security and stability improvements:
>
> - A couple of crashes have been fixed.
> - New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related bugs
> is included.
> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>
> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>
> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>
> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

On 11/07/2017 23:07, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>
> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
So keep it.
   Make it on by default.
       Make it configurable so others can hide it if they want.

Alex.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Just to make my points a bit clearer, here is a list of what enhancements to the handler list I think will be helpful:

1. Put the list in a menu/scrolling list field above the current list showing actual handlers in the script

2. Label this menu/list clearly as “Common handlers” to make sure that users understand that this list does not contain all available handlers for this control.

3. Put the most used/most likely used handlers for each control at the top of the list

4. Make sure that all inserted handlers are presented in the same way, a comment giving a brief description of the handler is a good thing for beginners

5. Make sure that all parameters are named in a uniform way.

6. Group handlers in the list by their functionality

7. Make the list searchable/let the user filter the list

8. Do not repeat the list in the menu at the top of the script editor. This menu should only contain actual handlers inserted into the script because of the “play/run” button next to it. You can not run a handler that is not a part of the script.

I think that this list of available/common handlers can be very helpful if it is implemented in a good way. I like the fact that comments are provided with the handlers, This makes it a valuable feature for beginners. I can really see myself using these comments as an example for my students on how to write comments for their own handlers and functions. I would welcome any change in this feature that makes it clearer and less confusing, especially for beginners.

Regards
Tore Nilsen

>> 11. jul. 2017 kl. 16:54 skrev panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.
>>
>> Getting the Release
>> ===================
>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
>> the automatic updater.
>>

>> Release Contents
>> ================
>>
>> LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
>> security and stability improvements:
>>
>> - A couple of crashes have been fixed.
>> - New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related bugs
>> is included.
>> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>>
>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>>
>> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
>> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
>> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
>> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
>> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>>
>> The full release notes are available from:
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>>

>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>

>> Have fun!
>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Very good:
The idea and also all the refinement proposals.
It would also be great if the prototypes were editable.

Bad:
Some of the prototypes use protected names like "filename" as parameters.
So they don't compile ...

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I’ve just had a quick play with the enhanced script editor and these all seem like good suggestions to me, and in the script editor pane of the preferences window I’d allow the user to (i) hide/show the list of available common handlers and (ii) hide/show included comments on their functionality.

Terry...

On 12/07/2017 8:40 am, "use-livecode on behalf of Tore Nilsen via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

    >> is included.
    >> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
    >>
    >> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
    >> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
    >>
    >> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
    >> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
    >> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
    >> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
    >> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
    >>
    >> The full release notes are available from:
    >> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
    >>
    >>
    >> Feedback
    >> ========
    >> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'd vote for this, a configurable option would make everyone happy.

On July 11, 2017 5:38:43 PM Alex Tweedly via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/07/2017 23:07, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
>> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>>
>> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
>> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
>> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
> So keep it.
>    Make it on by default.
>        Make it configurable so others can hide it if they want.
>
> Alex.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

On 07/11/2017 03:07 PM, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>
> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.

After all the commotion here, I had to go take a look. So I loaded the
new build, and after the initial shock I kind of like it. I think the
changes I would make would be to have the text of the loadable handlers
dimmed to gray, so that it's obvious that they're not in the script, and
to start with a blank line, like the one that separates the real
handlers from the wannabes.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Configurable sounds like a great idea to me too. I’d like to see a more defined break from the regular handlers if that’s possible.

Also there is a Typo - PasteKey in the Field script is missing the “P” - it just states asteKey, I wondered what that was! :)

Paul

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:01 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'd vote for this, a configurable option would make everyone happy.

> On July 11, 2017 5:38:43 PM Alex Tweedly via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 11/07/2017 23:07, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>>>
>>> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
>>> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
>>> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
>> So keep it.
>>   Make it on by default.
>>       Make it configurable so others can hide it if they want.
>>
>> Alex.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I think that this new feature is really wonderful; especially as
new users of LiveCode won't have to wait (like I did) for 5 years
to find out about "MouseEnter" :)

Richmond.

On 7/12/17 12:52 am, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> H Richmond,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> The default handlers appear exactly as they are in the dictionary. Indeed,
> the mouseUp handler for example does take a parameter <mouseButtonNumber>
> (see dictionary).
>
> If you don't need to do different things in the mouseUp handler depending
> on the <mouseButtonNumber>, you can just ignore it (e.g. no need to delete
> this param), and it will act just like a regular mouseUp handler with no
> params.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am impressed with the new default handler list . . .
>>
>> BUT . . . I wonder why, on choosing either mouseDown or mouseUp it prompts
>> me for a mouseButton number . . .
>>
>> if this feature is meant to speed things up, it doesn't, as one normally
>> spends time choosing the default
>> handler and then deleting the mouseButton thing.
>>
>> A great idea that needs a bit of sorting out.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>> On 7/11/17 5:54 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list members,
>>>
>>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1.
>>>
>>> Getting the Release
>>> ===================
>>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>>> via
>>> the automatic updater.
>>>

>>> Release Contents
>>> ================
>>>
>>> LiveCode 8.1.6 RC-1 contains 32 bug fixes, new features, as well as
>>> security and stability improvements:
>>>
>>> - A couple of crashes have been fixed.
>>> - New version of tsNet (1.2.10) that addresses various network-related
>>> bugs
>>> is included.
>>> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>>>
>>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
>>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>>>
>>> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
>>> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
>>> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
>>> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
>>> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>>>
>>> The full release notes are available from:
>>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>>>

>>> Feedback
>>> ========
>>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>>

>>> Have fun!
>>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
That's not a bad idea: to turn on/off this feature in the preferences.

Richmond.

On 7/12/17 1:05 am, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌
>>
>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
> I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct expression.
> Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to make at least the height of that list smaller?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
"We are working hard to attract new users" . . .

Well that feature certainly should make things quite a bit easier!

Richmond.

On 7/12/17 1:07 am, Kevin Miller via use-livecode wrote:

> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>
> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
>

> On 11/07/2017, 23:05, "use-livecode on behalf of Matthias Rebbe via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ?matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>?
>>>
>>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability
>>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>> I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I
>> find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct
>> expression.
>> Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to make
>> at least the height of that list smaller?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I'm going to show this version to "my" kids this afternoon . . .

Richmond.

On 7/12/17 1:12 am, Tore Nilsen via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>> is included.
>> - The flow in the interactive tutorials has been improved.
>>
>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability to
>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>>
>> Objects no longer have default scripts that appear in the script editor
>> when their empty scripts are edited. Instead, all the associated message
>> handlers for the object type now appear in a list underneath the list of
>> handlers that are present in the script. When clicked, these lines add the
>> selected default handler to the end of the current script.
>>
>> The full release notes are available from:
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_6/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_6_rc_1.pdf
>>

>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
This feature in general is a good idea.

But
- make it more visible that those handler are not current handler of the script, e.g. grey out that list
- allow a bigger space between the script handler and the handler list
- show this list by default, so new users see that list by default,  but allow the user to switch if of in prefs
- if disabled in the prefs,  allow the user to show the list by pressing a short key

 or
- put this list somewhere else, but not below the script handler

Matthias

> Am 12.07.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Kevin Miller via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
>
> We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come up
> again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
> list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
>

> On 11/07/2017, 23:05, "use-livecode on behalf of Matthias Rebbe via
> use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Matthias Rebbe
>> +49 5741 310000
>> ?matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>?
>>>

>>> A new feature in the script editor has been added, this is the ability
>>> choose from a list of default handlers to add to the object script.
>>
>> I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I
>> find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct
>> expression.
>> Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to make
>> at least the height of that list smaller?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Configurable would be great, because that would be the start of having
Macros, and having those macros be configurable, and having them be able to
do things like using the hilited text to build a structure

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:01 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> This feature in general is a good idea.
>
> But
> - make it more visible that those handler are not current handler of the
> script, e.g. grey out that list
> - allow a bigger space between the script handler and the handler list
> - show this list by default, so new users see that list by default,  but
> allow the user to switch if of in prefs
> - if disabled in the prefs,  allow the user to show the list by pressing a
> short key
>
>  or
> - put this list somewhere else, but not below the script handler
>
> Matthias
>
> > Am 12.07.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Kevin Miller via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Is it something perhaps you could get used to?
> >
> > We are working hard to attract new users to the platform. This has come
> up
> > again and again in user testing. This evening we tested this new handler
> > list on new users for the first time. It went over very well.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> > Kevin Miller ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> > LiveCode: Everyone can create apps
> >

> > On 11/07/2017, 23:05, "use-livecode on behalf of Matthias Rebbe via
> > use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Matthias Rebbe
> >> +49 5741 310000
> >> ?matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>?

> >> I am not sure if i like this new handler list. At least at that place. I
> >> find it somehow disturbing. I am not sure if this is the correct
> >> expression.
> >> Is there a way to hide that list in the editor? Or is there a way to
> make
> >> at least the height of that list smaller?

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.6 RC-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I had almost the same sense as Mark on this. Distracting at first, but no really in the

And since we are look at usability of the script editor and add ons I would LOVE to have the ability to show "sections" in my scripts

I think it was years ago, or maybe even nowin GLX? anyway, Jerry Daniels had that, where some kind of convention at the beginning of a comment, would cause it to appear on the left panel list.

I often use things like this in my comments

#########  GRAPHIC EFFECTS ###########

It would really help me if we could see this in the left.   Exactly what to notation should be, probably needs thought.

Another simpler convention would be wherever

*/  SHOW THE FIRST LINE OF THIS COMMENT

Or if people use that to comment out whole blocks then we need a new convention.  like perhaps like this which I know some use:

--> SCRIPT SECTION

If we like this, and can agree on a convention,  I will file an official enhancement request.

I suppose that preference could even be added to  the script editor which would allow something like

Show Script Sections __ [check] beginning with ______ [we enter the chars we want to use to show the first line of that comment]

i.e.  user configurable (since opinions will be all over the place on what to use)

BR