[ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================

LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1 contains 34 bug fixes, as well as security and
stability improvements:

- Several regressions have been fixed.
- New version of tsNet (1.3.1) that addresses various network-related bugs
is included (Indy + Business edition)

The full release notes are available from:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_7/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_7_rc_1.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Exciting.

Why am I excited every time there is a new LiveCode release?

Because there is always something new to fiddle around with!

Lovely!

Richmond.

On 9/5/17 5:45 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1 contains 34 bug fixes, as well as security and
> stability improvements:
>
> - Several regressions have been fixed.
> - New version of tsNet (1.3.1) that addresses various network-related bugs
> is included (Indy + Business edition)
>
> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_7/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_7_rc_1.pdf
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I believe a lot of users will be excited by this release (including
myself), since several known long-standing issues are addressed. Just a
sample of them:

9992 Export snapshot fails on iOS
16029 AppleScript dictionary seems to be absent
17098 Cursor does not move after hitting TAB when tab is right-aligned
17639 Cursor in fields renders in wrong position in fields with
fixedLineHeight=false
18955 Browser widget crashes LC from <input type="file">
19080 Building iOS standalone can result in ARM/iOS version error
19420 Calling quit causes Android app to crash on next launch if Android is
still retaining the app in RAM
19713 Images placed on Windows clipboard won't paste into Paint
20209 Incorrect text colour following copy and paste into 3rd party app
20231 Windows standalone crashes on quit when taskbar is hidden
20232 New folder separator char inconsistency on Windows
20282 the engine folder uses "\" in paths on Windows
20298 !r for menu item flag displays check mark instead of diamond
20310 Error accessing image data that Windows Paint puts on clipboard
20321 No default value in the ask window if the text contains char 0

Best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Exciting.
>
> Why am I excited every time there is a new LiveCode release?
>
> Because there is always something new to fiddle around with!
>
> Lovely!
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 9/5/17 5:45 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1.
>>
>> Getting the Release
>> ===================
>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>> via
>> the automatic updater.
>>

>> Release Contents
>> ================
>>
>> LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1 contains 34 bug fixes, as well as security and
>> stability improvements:
>>
>> - Several regressions have been fixed.
>> - New version of tsNet (1.3.1) that addresses various network-related bugs
>> is included (Indy + Business edition)
>>
>> The full release notes are available from:
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_7/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_7_rc_1.pdf
>>

>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>

>> Have fun!
>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Excited by many things.

I wonder if snapshot, which was failing on desktop (Mac and Linux at least)
has been sorted out?

Majorly %^&*($# by this:

The Linux version of LiveCode is STILL NOT loading a dictionary.

[ I see that that problem has been "solved" in LC 9 dp 8 by simply
inactivating the Dictionary button on Linux. ]

So, as I stated before:

"always something new to fiddle around with", and CAREFULLY avoided writing:

somethings never seem to get completely sorted out,

but, as you "rose to the bait" I have "baited my hook".

Whatever my sour responses, LiveCode still "rocks the socks" off all
the also-rans.

Richmond.

On 9/5/17 6:21 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> I believe a lot of users will be excited by this release (including
> myself), since several known long-standing issues are addressed. Just a
> sample of them:
>
> 9992 Export snapshot fails on iOS
> 16029 AppleScript dictionary seems to be absent
> 17098 Cursor does not move after hitting TAB when tab is right-aligned
> 17639 Cursor in fields renders in wrong position in fields with
> fixedLineHeight=false
> 18955 Browser widget crashes LC from <input type="file">
> 19080 Building iOS standalone can result in ARM/iOS version error
> 19420 Calling quit causes Android app to crash on next launch if Android is
> still retaining the app in RAM
> 19713 Images placed on Windows clipboard won't paste into Paint
> 20209 Incorrect text colour following copy and paste into 3rd party app
> 20231 Windows standalone crashes on quit when taskbar is hidden
> 20232 New folder separator char inconsistency on Windows
> 20282 the engine folder uses "\" in paths on Windows
> 20298 !r for menu item flag displays check mark instead of diamond
> 20310 Error accessing image data that Windows Paint puts on clipboard
> 20321 No default value in the ask window if the text contains char 0
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Exciting.
>>
>> Why am I excited every time there is a new LiveCode release?
>>
>> Because there is always something new to fiddle around with!
>>
>> Lovely!
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>> On 9/5/17 5:45 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> Dear list members,
>>>
>>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1.
>>>
>>> Getting the Release
>>> ===================
>>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>>> via
>>> the automatic updater.
>>>

>>> Release Contents
>>> ================
>>>
>>> LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-1 contains 34 bug fixes, as well as security and
>>> stability improvements:
>>>
>>> - Several regressions have been fixed.
>>> - New version of tsNet (1.3.1) that addresses various network-related bugs
>>> is included (Indy + Business edition)
>>>
>>> The full release notes are available from:
>>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_1_7/LiveCodeNotes-8_1_7_rc_1.pdf
>>>

>>> Feedback
>>> ========
>>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>>

>>> Have fun!
>>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

On 09/05/2017 12:06 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> The Linux version of LiveCode is STILL NOT loading a dictionary.
>
> [ I see that that problem has been "solved" in LC 9 dp 8 by simply
> inactivating the Dictionary button on Linux. ]

I have no problems with the dictionary in openSUSE (an unsupported
distro!) in any LC 8.x version including this one. In fact, I haven't
encountered this issue in any of the many different unsupported distros
I've tested.

I do, however, suffer from the problem with the dictionary/browser in
the later versions of LC 9. Aren't these issues the result of at least
two distinct problems?

Warren

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Warren Samples wrote:

 > On 09/05/2017 12:06 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
 >> The Linux version of LiveCode is STILL NOT loading a dictionary.
 >>
 >> [ I see that that problem has been "solved" in LC 9 dp 8 by simply
 >> inactivating the Dictionary button on Linux. ]
 >
 >
 > I have no problems with the dictionary in openSUSE (an unsupported
 > distro!) in any LC 8.x version including this one. In fact, I haven't
 > encountered this issue in any of the many different unsupported
 > distros I've tested.
 >
 > I do, however, suffer from the problem with the dictionary/browser in
 > the later versions of LC 9. Aren't these issues the result of at least
 > two distinct problems?

Thanks for the info, Warren.  I see similar results here under Ubuntu
14.04 and 16.04:  v8.1.7rc1 opens the Dictionary well, v.9dp8 doesn't.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

 I guess I need to get a VM configured with Linux to test.    I've been trying to help with the dictionary but so far only testing with Mac/Win.    One thing I do notice is that it does take a while to load.    Switching to the guide and back to API usually has it finish loading.    Of course if the whole IDE is frozen then that won't do any good.

> On Sep 5, 2017 at 1:07 PM,  <Richard Gaskin via use-livecode (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>

>  Warren Samples wrote:  >  On 09/05/2017 12:06 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:  >>  The Linux version of LiveCode is STILL NOT loading a dictionary.  >>   >>  [ I see that that problem has been "solved" in LC 9 dp 8 by simply  >>  inactivating the Dictionary button on Linux. ]  >   >   >  I have no problems with the dictionary in openSUSE (an unsupported  >  distro!) in any LC 8.x version including this one. In fact, I haven't  >  encountered this issue in any of the many different unsupported  >  distros I've tested.  >   >  I do, however, suffer from the problem with the dictionary/browser in  >  the later versions of LC 9. Aren't these issues the result of at least  >  two distinct problems? Thanks for the info, Warren. I see similar results here under Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04: v8.1.7rc1 opens the Dictionary well, v.9dp8 doesn't. -- Richard Gaskin Fourth World Systems Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web ______________________________
______________________________________ [hidden email] http://www.FourthWorld.com _______________________________________________ use-livecode mailing list [hidden email] Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences: http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi all,

There are 2 different issues:

1. The dictionary on Linux (and the browser widget in general) does not
work **in some systems** in LC 8.x. This is not distro-specific, but rather
locale-specific, and there is a workaround described in the bug report.

2. The dictionary on Linux (and the browser widget) does not work at all in
LC 9.0 DP-7+. This is mentioned as a "known issue" in the release email. We
have spent *a lot* of hours trying to fix this, but with no result. We
believe that the issue is caused by an incompatibility of the current
version of CEF we use (needed for the browser widget), and we think the
issue will be fixed when we update the version of CEF we use. Unfortunately
this is not an easy task, so I do not expect it to be fixed in LC 9.0 DP-9.

best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Warren Samples wrote:
>
> > On 09/05/2017 12:06 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:
> >> The Linux version of LiveCode is STILL NOT loading a dictionary.
> >>
> >> [ I see that that problem has been "solved" in LC 9 dp 8 by simply
> >> inactivating the Dictionary button on Linux. ]
> >

> > I have no problems with the dictionary in openSUSE (an unsupported
> > distro!) in any LC 8.x version including this one. In fact, I haven't
> > encountered this issue in any of the many different unsupported
> > distros I've tested.
> >
> > I do, however, suffer from the problem with the dictionary/browser in
> > the later versions of LC 9. Aren't these issues the result of at least
> > two distinct problems?
>
> Thanks for the info, Warren.  I see similar results here under Ubuntu
> 14.04 and 16.04:  v8.1.7rc1 opens the Dictionary well, v.9dp8 doesn't.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Here's a really dangerous, radical thought . . .

as the Dictionary DOES WORK for LC 7.1.4 with Linux would it not be
possible to
port that for LC 9?

Richmond.

On 9/5/17 9:25 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There are 2 different issues:
>
> 1. The dictionary on Linux (and the browser widget in general) does not
> work **in some systems** in LC 8.x. This is not distro-specific, but rather
> locale-specific, and there is a workaround described in the bug report.
>
> 2. The dictionary on Linux (and the browser widget) does not work at all in
> LC 9.0 DP-7+. This is mentioned as a "known issue" in the release email. We
> have spent *a lot* of hours trying to fix this, but with no result. We
> believe that the issue is caused by an incompatibility of the current
> version of CEF we use (needed for the browser widget), and we think the
> issue will be fixed when we update the version of CEF we use. Unfortunately
> this is not an easy task, so I do not expect it to be fixed in LC 9.0 DP-9.
>
> best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 7:07 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Warren Samples wrote:

>>> I have no problems with the dictionary in openSUSE (an unsupported
>>> distro!) in any LC 8.x version including this one. In fact, I haven't
>>> encountered this issue in any of the many different unsupported
>>> distros I've tested.
>>>
>>> I do, however, suffer from the problem with the dictionary/browser in
>>> the later versions of LC 9. Aren't these issues the result of at least
>>> two distinct problems?
>> Thanks for the info, Warren.  I see similar results here under Ubuntu
>> 14.04 and 16.04:  v8.1.7rc1 opens the Dictionary well, v.9dp8 doesn't.
>>
>> --
>>   Richard Gaskin
>>   Fourth World Systems
>>   Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Well, that would take us a step (or lots of steps!) back :)

The dictionary in LC < 8 is totally different, it is a .livecode stack that
displays .xml files (e.g. the dictionary entries).

In LC 8+ it uses a browser widget, and all the entries have been re-written
to .lcdoc files. This makes it more easily maintainable and extensible.

BTW the bug I was referring to (in LC 8), which describes a workaround is
this one:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16848

Workaround described in comment 81(!) and/or 96(!)

On 9/5/17 10:21 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> 19420 Calling quit causes Android app to crash on next launch if Android is
> still retaining the app in RAM

For anyone who attended my LC Global presentation, this is the "quit"
problem I mentioned. Great news that it is fixed now, and you can use
the quit command again on Android.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-1

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Possibly several steps back might be better than total stagnation.

As I have demonstrated by my article in "Hello World" I'm not always
averse to backward steps if they serve some purpose.

Richmond.