[ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================

LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 contains an important change:

Using Xcode 9 for building iOS standalones in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 now
creates a universal binary, i.e. the binary contains both a 32bit slice and
a 64bit slice. This means that you can install it in older Apple devices
that have a 32bit chip (and thus require the app to have a 32bit slice),
such as iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and 4th gen iPad.

This was not possible in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-2.

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
That was suspiciously quick.

Richmond.

On 10/5/17 6:35 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 contains an important change:
>
> Using Xcode 9 for building iOS standalones in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 now
> creates a universal binary, i.e. the binary contains both a 32bit slice and
> a 64bit slice. This means that you can install it in older Apple devices
> that have a 32bit chip (and thus require the app to have a 32bit slice),
> such as iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and 4th gen iPad.
>
> This was not possible in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-2.
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hehe, this is because the issue was discovered suspiciously fast :)

Best,
Panos
--

PS this issue affected only people who are on Sierra or High Sierra and
build iOS apps using xcode 9

On Oct 5, 2017 17:44, "Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That was suspiciously quick.
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 10/5/17 6:35 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3.
>>
>> Getting the Release
>> ===================
>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>> via
>> the automatic updater.
>>

>> Release Contents
>> ================
>>
>> LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 contains an important change:
>>
>> Using Xcode 9 for building iOS standalones in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-3 now
>> creates a universal binary, i.e. the binary contains both a 32bit slice
>> and
>> a 64bit slice. This means that you can install it in older Apple devices
>> that have a 32bit chip (and thus require the app to have a 32bit slice),
>> such as iPhone 5, iPhone 5c and 4th gen iPad.
>>
>> This was not possible in LiveCode 8.1.7 RC-2.
>>

>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>

>> Have fun!
>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
As Apple no longer supports running 32 bit apps under iOS 11, would it be
possible to make including a 32 bit slice optional, as defaulting to
universal binaries almost doubles the size of the app bundle (my app went
from 18 MB when built with LC 8.1.7 RC-2 to 31 MB when built with LC 8.1.7
RC-3. Ideally in iOS Application Settings one could choice from : (1) Build
universal binary; (2) Build 64 bit binary only; (3) Build 32 bit binary
only.

Henry

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

On 2017-10-06 06:57, hlowe via use-livecode wrote:

> As Apple no longer supports running 32 bit apps under iOS 11, would it
> be
> possible to make including a 32 bit slice optional, as defaulting to
> universal binaries almost doubles the size of the app bundle (my app
> went
> from 18 MB when built with LC 8.1.7 RC-2 to 31 MB when built with LC
> 8.1.7
> RC-3. Ideally in iOS Application Settings one could choice from : (1)
> Build
> universal binary; (2) Build 64 bit binary only; (3) Build 32 bit binary
> only.

I believe the iTunes store automatically removes unnecessary slices from
apps *before* they get downloaded onto a user's phone (and I wouldn't be
surprised if this also happens when transferring the app locally through
Xcode / iTunes - although this is somewhat difficult to check without a
rooted iOS device!).

The current situation from the S/B's point of view is this:

   1) If the min iOS version in the S/B is set to iOS 11, then only a
64-bit slice will be included and it will only work on devices which
have iOS 11

   2) If the '32-bit only' checkbox is set, then the S/B will only
include a 32-bit slice - this is to support iPad 1 (it was added to
support a few customers who were having to support iPad 1's in their
apps after Apple added the 64-bit option - we're not sure if anyone is
still using it which is why it is still there).

   3) Otherwise the S/B will include a 32-bit and 64-bit slice. This
means that the app can run on devices older than the iPhone 5s (which
was the first to run in 64-bit mode).

The reason the 32-bit slice is still needed is that the (32-bit only)
iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C can run up to iOS 10 - so *not* including it
would exclude those devices from being able to use your app.

To rephrase (for clarity) - the slices required in an iOS app are
determined by the min iOS version you have set in the S/B with the remit
of supporting as many devices as possible.

So the question is whether we actually need an explicit toggle - or
whether it is better for the S/B to just do the right thing (as it does
at the moment) based on iOS target version...

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: [ANN] Release 8.1.7 RC-3

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Mark,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Overall the current strategy appears
sound. I took a look at Apple's developer info on this topic today and they
state:

"Slicing is the process of creating and delivering variants of the app
bundle for different target devices. A variant contains only the executable
architecture and resources that are needed for the target device. You
continue to develop and upload full versions of your app to iTunes Connect.
The App Store will create and deliver different variants based on the
devices your app supports. Xcode simulates slicing during development so you
can create and test variants locally. Xcode slices your app when you build
and run your app on a device or in Simulator."

I compared the size of my iOS app directly installed onto an iPhone 6S (iOS
11, set to run on iOS 10.3 or later) using Xcode 9.0 - with 64 bit slice
only (8.1.7 RC-2) and with both 64 bit and 32 bit slices (8.1.7 RC-3). The
universal binary on the phone is approximately twice as large as the 64 bit
version. I have not found any way to check app size in the simulator.

Henry