[ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================

In LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1, we have introduced a new Edition: "Community Plus".
In short, Community Plus is just like Community, plus:

- Autocomplete feature in Script Editor
- Ability to use commercial addons from the LiveCode Extension store inside
your open source application
- Ability to submit free non-commercial apps to the iOS App Store.

For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/

For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2

Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1:

- Several bugs have been fixed.
- The Spinner Widget has been back ported
- The Script Editor now shows "live" errors as you type your code.

The full release notes are available from:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_1.pdf

Notes:

1. Indy and Business Editions include *autocomplete pro*, which extends
autocomplete with the following features:

- Completions generated dynamically by introspecting the object being
edited and its message path
- An Autocomplete Snippet Manager dialog is accessible from the script
editor menubar to manage a custom set of completions.

2. You might experience some problems with autocomplete and window layering
in some *unsupported* Linux distros (e.g. XUbuntu, Mint)

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Does that mean that LC 8.1.7 was, essentially, a meaningless blip on the
radar?

Richmond.

On 9/13/17 8:01 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> In LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1, we have introduced a new Edition: "Community Plus".
> In short, Community Plus is just like Community, plus:
>
> - Autocomplete feature in Script Editor
> - Ability to use commercial addons from the LiveCode Extension store inside
> your open source application
> - Ability to submit free non-commercial apps to the iOS App Store.
>
> For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/
>
> For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
> https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
>
> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1:
>
> - Several bugs have been fixed.
> - The Spinner Widget has been back ported
> - The Script Editor now shows "live" errors as you type your code.
>

> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_1.pdf
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. Indy and Business Editions include *autocomplete pro*, which extends
> autocomplete with the following features:
>
> - Completions generated dynamically by introspecting the object being
> edited and its message path
> - An Autocomplete Snippet Manager dialog is accessible from the script
> editor menubar to manage a custom set of completions.
>
> 2. You might experience some problems with autocomplete and window layering
> in some *unsupported* Linux distros (e.g. XUbuntu, Mint)
>
> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Oddly enough the difference between the Macintosh Community version and
the Linux 64-bit Community version is vast.

Macintosh Community version: 1.03 GB

Linux 64-bit Community version: 277 MB

Why does this make me think that the Linux version may be missing things?

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
@Richmond

Not at all. The autocomplete feature (and thus the CommunityPlus edition)
is something new, which might cause regressions. So, until 8.2 goes GM,
people that want to use a *stable* build to deploy their apps can use
8.1.x. (In fact we will probably release 8.1.8 before the 8.1.x series is
EOLed.

Best,
Panos
--

PS: Every bug fix that goes into 8.1.x, will also be included in 8.2.x and
9.x

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does that mean that LC 8.1.7 was, essentially, a meaningless blip on the
> radar?
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 9/13/17 8:01 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1.
>>
>> Getting the Release
>> ===================
>> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or
>> via
>> the automatic updater.
>>

>> Release Contents
>> ================
>>
>> In LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1, we have introduced a new Edition: "Community
>> Plus".
>> In short, Community Plus is just like Community, plus:
>>
>> - Autocomplete feature in Script Editor
>> - Ability to use commercial addons from the LiveCode Extension store
>> inside
>> your open source application
>> - Ability to submit free non-commercial apps to the iOS App Store.
>>
>> For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
>> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/
>>
>> For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
>> https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
>>
>> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-1:
>>
>> - Several bugs have been fixed.
>> - The Spinner Widget has been back ported
>> - The Script Editor now shows "live" errors as you type your code.
>>

>> The full release notes are available from:
>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_1.pdf
>>
>> Notes:
>>
>> 1. Indy and Business Editions include *autocomplete pro*, which extends
>> autocomplete with the following features:
>>
>> - Completions generated dynamically by introspecting the object being
>> edited and its message path
>> - An Autocomplete Snippet Manager dialog is accessible from the script
>> editor menubar to manage a custom set of completions.
>>
>> 2. You might experience some problems with autocomplete and window
>> layering
>> in some *unsupported* Linux distros (e.g. XUbuntu, Mint)
>>
>> Feedback
>> ========
>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
>> http://quality.livecode.com/
>>

>> Have fun!
>> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Thanks for that.

Richmond.

On 9/13/17 9:08 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>>> - The Script Editor now shows "live" errors as you type your code.
>>>

>>> The full release notes are available from:
>>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_1.pdf
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>>
>>> 1. Indy and Business Editions include *autocomplete pro*, which extends
>>> autocomplete with the following features:
>>>
>>> - Completions generated dynamically by introspecting the object being
>>> edited and its message path
>>> - An Autocomplete Snippet Manager dialog is accessible from the script
>>> editor menubar to manage a custom set of completions.
>>>
>>> 2. You might experience some problems with autocomplete and window
>>> layering
>>> in some *unsupported* Linux distros (e.g. XUbuntu, Mint)
>>>
>>> Feedback
>>> ========
>>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
@Richmond
The Mac version that is 1.03 GB is the .app bundle (which is essentially a
folder), so you have to compare it with the full Linux 64bit folder, which
is roughly of the same size (~1.1 GB)

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
>
> Richmond.
>

> On 9/13/17 9:08 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> @Richmond
>>
>> Not at all. The autocomplete feature (and thus the CommunityPlus edition)
>> is something new, which might cause regressions. So, until 8.2 goes GM,
>> people that want to use a *stable* build to deploy their apps can use
>> 8.1.x. (In fact we will probably release 8.1.8 before the 8.1.x series is
>> EOLed.
>>
>> Best,
>> Panos
>> --
>>
>> PS: Every bug fix that goes into 8.1.x, will also be included in 8.2.x and
>> 9.x
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does that mean that LC 8.1.7 was, essentially, a meaningless blip on the
>>> radar?
>>>
>>> Richmond.
>>>

>>> On 9/13/17 8:01 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear list members,

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
And moreover note that only the Mac bundle includes the runtime engines for
a long list of iOS device and simulator versions.

On Sep 13, 2017 19:12, "panagiotis merakos" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Richmond
> The Mac version that is 1.03 GB is the .app bundle (which is essentially a
> folder), so you have to compare it with the full Linux 64bit folder, which
> is roughly of the same size (~1.1 GB)
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for that.
>>
>> Richmond.
>>

>> On 9/13/17 9:08 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>
>>> @Richmond
>>>
>>> Not at all. The autocomplete feature (and thus the CommunityPlus edition)
>>> is something new, which might cause regressions. So, until 8.2 goes GM,
>>> people that want to use a *stable* build to deploy their apps can use
>>> 8.1.x. (In fact we will probably release 8.1.8 before the 8.1.x series is
>>> EOLed.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Panos
>>> --
>>>
>>> PS: Every bug fix that goes into 8.1.x, will also be included in 8.2.x
>>> and
>>> 9.x
>>>
>>> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does that mean that LC 8.1.7 was, essentially, a meaningless blip on the

Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi there,

I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
new Script Editor Autocomplete function
because I find it too distracting, can I turn
it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
be important to some people.

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Rick,

I do not think that currently this is possible, but you could file an
enhancement request in http://quality.livecode.com so we could add a pref
in the next release.

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
> new Script Editor Autocomplete function
> because I find it too distracting, can I turn
> it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
> be important to some people.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Rick, please post the bug report URL here so we can follow along.

I appreciate the intention of auto-complete, and can see how it may be
useful for writing a new line, but when editing an existing line it
keeps adds closing quotes and closing brackets where I already have them
further on in the line, costing me significant time to clean up.

I may resurrect my old custom script editor plugin in the meantime so I
can get back to working efficiently....

panagiotis merakos wrote:

 > Hi Rick,
 >
 > I do not think that currently this is possible, but you could file an
 > enhancement request in http://quality.livecode.com so we could add a
 > pref in the next release.
 >
 > On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Rick Harrison wrote:
 >
 >> I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
 >> new Script Editor Autocomplete function
 >> because I find it too distracting, can I turn
 >> it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
 >> be important to some people.

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 5:52 am, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Rick, please post the bug report URL here so we can follow along.
>
> I appreciate the intention of auto-complete, and can see how it may be useful for writing a new line, but when editing an existing line it keeps adds closing quotes and closing brackets where I already have them further on in the line, costing me significant time to clean up.
>
> I may resurrect my old custom script editor plugin in the meantime so I can get back to working efficiently....

Hmm… two slightly different things there. Bracket completion and autocomplete.

It sounds like you should report the issues you are having also Richard. Hopefully we can make things a little smarter in the cases that are frustrating you.

Cheers

Monte

On 9/13/17 1:34 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
> new Script Editor Autocomplete function
> because I find it too distracting, can I turn
> it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
> be important to some people.

I'd like an option like that too, I'm a minimalist.

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

Ok, I have added the enhancement as:

Bug 20386 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20386>

I think I still need someone to confirm it?
Please have someone do that if required.

Thanks,

Rick

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 3:16 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I do not think that currently this is possible, but you could file an
> enhancement request in http://quality.livecode.com so we could add a pref
> in the next release.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
>> new Script Editor Autocomplete function
>> because I find it too distracting, can I turn
>> it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
>> be important to some people.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the report. I have just confirmed it.

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 9:59 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Panos,
>
> Ok, I have added the enhancement as:
>
> Bug 20386 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20386>
>
> I think I still need someone to confirm it?
> Please have someone do that if required.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>

> > On Sep 13, 2017, at 3:16 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I do not think that currently this is possible, but you could file an
> > enhancement request in http://quality.livecode.com so we could add a
> pref
> > in the next release.
> >
> > Best,
> > Panos
> > --
> >

> > On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> I was wondering, if I find I don’t like the
> >> new Script Editor Autocomplete function
> >> because I find it too distracting, can I turn
> >> it off?  I think the ability to turn it off might
> >> be important to some people.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Rick

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Not to all the devs who worked on it. :-)

Bob S

> On Sep 13, 2017, at 10:57 , Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does that mean that LC 8.1.7 was, essentially, a meaningless blip on the radar?
>
> Richmond.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 9:31 am, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not to all the devs who worked on it. :-)

Hehe… or the people that needed the bug fixes in it ;-)

PS it’s highly likely there will also be a 8.1.8 to deal with iOS 11 and Xcode 9.

Cheers

Monte

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode
For the autocomplete feature, would discussion be better in a thread here
or in bugzilla?  Some things that I'm looking at could just be considered
developer preferences vice actual bugs.  Here are a few examples:

- there is no indication that you are at the end of a list so the down
arrow will just roll you to the next line
- same for top of list (not really an issue when it first appears, but if
going back up it could be)

- the ordering of syntax seems a little off (look at answer for example, I
would think that "answer prompt" would be first and "answer prompt with
button1" would come before "answer prompt with button1 or buttons").  The
idea is to include required terms first and insert the optional terms in a
similar way (so the optional term without the nested one comes before the
one including the nested optional term).

- in other auto-complete editors (Atom), typing the closing character will
skip over it if it is the next character instead of adding another set.  So
when you type " and "" gets inserted.  If you then type a word followed by
a " you would end up outside of the quoted word instead of with the
insertion point inside a nested quote.  ["test"| vice "test"|"" where | is
the insertion point].  Similar situation for [].  Often it would be easier
to just type the closing character than to reach for the mouse or use an
arrow key to skip.

Thanks,
Brian

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 14 Sep 2017, at 9:31 am, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Not to all the devs who worked on it. :-)
>
> Hehe… or the people that needed the bug fixes in it ;-)
>
> PS it’s highly likely there will also be a 8.1.8 to deal with iOS 11 and
> Xcode 9.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 2:09 pm, Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the autocomplete feature, would discussion be better in a thread here
> or in bugzilla?  Some things that I'm looking at could just be considered
> developer preferences vice actual bugs.  Here are a few examples:

Discuss wherever it suits as long as we put good ideas and issues in bugzilla

> - there is no indication that you are at the end of a list so the down
> arrow will just roll you to the next line
> - same for top of list (not really an issue when it first appears, but if
> going back up it could be)

We have discussed this a bit internally. I did a few things to try and make sure that the completions palette doesn’t get in your way. One is hiding in certain contexts like on mouseMove. Another was this arrow key behavior… but I think maybe I erred here. It’s feasible it’s a legacy from early versions where I had completions being presented as a result of changing the selection and that could have been really frustrating if you were wanting to arrowKey down through your script!

> - the ordering of syntax seems a little off (look at answer for example, I
> would think that "answer prompt" would be first and "answer prompt with
> button1" would come before "answer prompt with button1 or buttons").  The
> idea is to include required terms first and insert the optional terms in a
> similar way (so the optional term without the nested one comes before the
> one including the nested optional term).

Yes there’s certainly some tweaks to be made on that front. There are a couple of reports here:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20367 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20367>
This was mainly messages we were considering here and the plan is currently to have a list of messages that are higher priority. That’s quite different to what you are suggesting.

For your idea it may be quite simple to add collect all the variants of a command and give them a priority weighting based on their length (shorter = higher priority)

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20370 <http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20370>
This idea of grouping variants if there are a lot and having a way to expose them should also help here

> - in other auto-complete editors (Atom), typing the closing character will
> skip over it if it is the next character instead of adding another set.  So
> when you type " and "" gets inserted.  If you then type a word followed by
> a " you would end up outside of the quoted word instead of with the
> insertion point inside a nested quote.  ["test"| vice "test"|"" where | is
> the insertion point].  Similar situation for [].  Often it would be easier
> to just type the closing character than to reach for the mouse or use an
> arrow key to skip.

I like this idea. Could you please report it.

Cheers

Monte

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-1

Tom Glod via use-livecode

> On 14 Sep 2017, at 2:47 pm, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For your idea it may be quite simple to add collect all the variants of a command and give them a priority weighting based on their length (shorter = higher priority)

Actually it was even easier than that… just sorting the parsed variants by length before adding to the completions array means they are in a much more sensible way.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Script Editor Autocomplete Optional?

Tom Glod via use-livecode
Personally I don't want Script Editor Autocomplete at all: I'd rather stand
or fall by my own light, so the ability to turn this off is a MUST as
far as I am
concerned.

Richmond.