[ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================

LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains 31 bug fixes and stability improvements.
Moreover, we have added a Preference for controlling the various new
features of the Script Editor (autocomplete, bracket completion, live
errors etc). You can enable/disable these features from the menubar of the
Script Editor, under Edit -> Options -> ..
Last but not least, LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains all the changes in the
LiveCode 8.1.7 release cycle (i.e. Xcode 9 support etc)

For those of you who missed it, the LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-X release cycle has
introduced a new edition, "Community Plus"

For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/

For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2

Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.

The full release notes are available from:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_2.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Panos,

when will there be a new version 9 dp? It´s now some weeks ago since dp9.

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌wirmachen.software <http://wirmachen.software/>‌

> Am 11.10.2017 um 17:20 schrieb panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ <https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/> or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains 31 bug fixes and stability improvements.
> Moreover, we have added a Preference for controlling the various new
> features of the Script Editor (autocomplete, bracket completion, live
> errors etc). You can enable/disable these features from the menubar of the
> Script Editor, under Edit -> Options -> ..
> Last but not least, LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains all the changes in the
> LiveCode 8.1.7 release cycle (i.e. Xcode 9 support etc)
>
> For those of you who missed it, the LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-X release cycle has
> introduced a new edition, "Community Plus"
>
> For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/ <https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/>
>
> For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
> https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
>
> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
> incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
> searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.
>

> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_2.pdf
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Hi Matthias,

Unfortunately we cannot give an ETA at this point for 9.0 DP-10, but "off
the record" I would expect it within the next couple of weeks.

Currently there are a couple of things we would like to include in 9.0
DP-10.

This is a list from BugZilla

http://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi?list_id=77472&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=9.0.0-dp-10&token=1507735851-88a1cd307824f6ceeefb2788f4b32c3a&order=bug_status%20DESC%2Cchangeddate%20DESC%2Cbug_id&query_based_on=

And those are some open PRs in github on the main LiveCode repo:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/milestone/154

Note that these lists are subject to change, but you can get a rough idea
on what we are currently working on.

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Panos,
>
> when will there be a new version 9 dp? It´s now some weeks ago since dp9.
>
> Regards,
> Matthias
>
> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> ‌wirmachen.software <http://wirmachen.software/>‌
> > Am 11.10.2017 um 17:20 schrieb panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2.
> >
> > Getting the Release
> > ===================
> > You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ <
> https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/> or via
> > the automatic updater.
> >

> > Release Contents
> > ================
> >
> > LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains 31 bug fixes and stability improvements.
> > Moreover, we have added a Preference for controlling the various new
> > features of the Script Editor (autocomplete, bracket completion, live
> > errors etc). You can enable/disable these features from the menubar of
> the
> > Script Editor, under Edit -> Options -> ..
> > Last but not least, LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains all the changes in the
> > LiveCode 8.1.7 release cycle (i.e. Xcode 9 support etc)
> >
> > For those of you who missed it, the LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-X release cycle has
> > introduced a new edition, "Community Plus"
> >
> > For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
> > https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/ <
> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/>
> >
> > For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
> > https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
> >
> > Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
> > incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
> > searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.
> >

> > The full release notes are available from:
> > http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-
> 8_2_0_dp_2.pdf
> >

> > Feedback
> > ========
> > Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> > http://quality.livecode.com/
> >

> > Have fun!
> > The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Any news on the progress of datagrid v2 and enhanced graphics speed?

On 11 Oct 2017 4:20 pm, "panagiotis merakos via use-livecode" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
>
> LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains 31 bug fixes and stability improvements.
> Moreover, we have added a Preference for controlling the various new
> features of the Script Editor (autocomplete, bracket completion, live
> errors etc). You can enable/disable these features from the menubar of the
> Script Editor, under Edit -> Options -> ..
> Last but not least, LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 contains all the changes in the
> LiveCode 8.1.7 release cycle (i.e. Xcode 9 support etc)
>
> For those of you who missed it, the LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-X release cycle has
> introduced a new edition, "Community Plus"
>
> For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/
>
> For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
> https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
>
> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
> incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
> searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.
>

> The full release notes are available from:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-8_2_0_dp_2.pdf
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
LC 8.2.0-dp2 has nice new features but this one doesn't work.

> Panos wrote:
> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
> incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
> searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.

When installing new extensions then LC 8.2.0-dp2 hangs while it is trying
to "add API to the documentation".

So one ends up having no extension.
(Yes I also tried after deleting the documentation cache.)

Reported #20557.

Work-around: Install the extension with 8.1.6/8.1.7.
Then one ends up in LC 8.2.0-dp2 without dictionary entries of the extension.

Work-around: Use TinyDict.

In sum: LC 8.2.0-dp2 works fine when installing extensions with LC 8.1.6/8.1.7
and using TinyDict.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Thanks for the links. I promise to be patient. ;)

Matthias

> [...]
>>> introduced a new edition, "Community Plus"
>>>
>>> For more details about Community Plus, see this page:
>>> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/ <
>> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/>
>>>
>>> For more details on the Autocomplete feature, read this blogpost:
>>> https://livecode.com/new-autocomplete-live-errors-in-livecode-8-2
>>>
>>> Moreover, in LiveCode 8.2.0 DP-2 Dictionary, all the extension docs are
>>> incorporated in the main LiveCode Script dictionary. This improves
>>> searchability, as well as preventing the library list getting too large.
>>>

>>> The full release notes are available from:
>>> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/8_2_0/LiveCodeNotes-
>> 8_2_0_dp_2.pdf
>>>

>>> Feedback
>>> ========
>>> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
@Dan
AFAIK, a developer is working on the datagrid v2 now

@Hermann
Oops we missed that, sorry about that. This patch should fix the problem,
for anyone interested in applying the change locally, until we release 8.2
DP-3:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode-ide/pull/1793/files

PS: Note that when you install a new custom widget, its docs do not appear
in the Dictionary, but this happens since early versions of LC 8.x. Once
you quit and restart LC, the widget docs do appear (I think there is a bug
report about that).

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the links. I promise to be patient. ;)
>
> Matthias
>
> > Am 11.10.2017 um 17:34 schrieb panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Hi Matthias,
> >
> > Unfortunately we cannot give an ETA at this point for 9.0 DP-10, but "off
> > the record" I would expect it within the next couple of weeks.
> >
> > Currently there are a couple of things we would like to include in 9.0
> > DP-10.
> >
> > This is a list from BugZilla
> >
> > http://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi?list_id=77472&
> query_format=advanced&target_milestone=9.0.0-dp-10&token=1507735851-
> 88a1cd307824f6ceeefb2788f4b32c3a&order=bug_status%20DESC%
> 2Cchangeddate%20DESC%2Cbug_id&query_based_on= <
> http://quality.livecode.com/buglist.cgi?list_id=77472&
> query_format=advanced&target_milestone=9.0.0-dp-10&token=1507735851-
> 88a1cd307824f6ceeefb2788f4b32c3a&order=bug_status%20DESC%
> 2Cchangeddate%20DESC%2Cbug_id&query_based_on=>
> >
> > And those are some open PRs in github on the main LiveCode repo:
> >
> > https://github.com/livecode/livecode/milestone/154
> >
> > Note that these lists are subject to change, but you can get a rough idea
> > on what we are currently working on.
> >
> > Best,
> > Panos
> > --
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 4:24 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Panos,
> >>
> >> when will there be a new version 9 dp? It´s now some weeks ago since
> dp9.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Matthias
> >>
> >> Matthias Rebbe
> >> +49 5741 310000
> >> ‌wirmachen.software <http://wirmachen.software/>‌

> >> https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/> or via

> >> the

> has

> >> https://livecode.com/products/community-plus-edition/>

> large.

> >> 8_2_0_dp_2.pdf

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
Panos

any hope for this big issue of acceleratedRendering breaking  a multi-stack app framework on Android which is currently holding our app "hostage" (cannot deploy on Android)

These are all, pretty much the same issue:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16736
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19576
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20287
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20419
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=20539  # says unconfirmed but is basically same as all the above.

Any effort to toggle Accelerated Rendering of the top stack, (usually to false) then opening a second stack (setting it to true) etc… is causing Android to fail in various different ways. most notable symptoms being Stack A's controls still appear on screen even though the topstack is Stack B (easy to query by adding an answer dialog at the very end of the running handler

put the short name of the topstack into iShouldBeVisibile
 answer ("The Top Stack is " & iShouldBeVisibile) with "OK"

At which point the app becomes completely unresponsive to any touch events. Though if stack B has a scroller you can see the mobile scroller indicator and it will go up and down as your finger swipes on controls for Stack A which was actually closed.

This is just one of a number bizarre symptoms, possibly related like having an image control set to a file reference A, then set to a new file reference B, artifacts from the first image A still appear on the left and right if the new image B is narrower than the first etc. even though theoretically, image A is no longer in the vRam?

Setting AcceleratedRendering to false throughout all stacks and all handlers in the entire app, a last ditch desparate attempt to get it to work despite the horrific scrolling… (jerky)  also leads to other problems…

I just got V1.0.2 approved on the AppStore, after begin up for 2 weeks… we were keeping quiet as we gathering more input from initial users…  fixed a few minor bugs and now we are going live with a big promotion for the iOS version today. Now we brace ourselves for Android users' cries in the days ahead "When for Droid?!"  I finally gave up trying to do anything via scripting, moving on to content dev for the next version.

 ??

BR

On 2017-10-11 19:09, Dan Brown via use-livecode wrote:
> Any news on the progress of datagrid v2 and enhanced graphics speed?

Just to embellish what Panos said...

There has been 2-3 of us working on the DG2 project over the last couple
of sprints:

   1) Monte has been updating the DG to automatically take advantage of
mobile scrollers

   2) Michael has been working on updating the DG to do the edit mode /
swipe actions as described in the project

   3) I've been working on updating acceleratedRendering mode to allow
child controls to have dynamic layers

I believe (1) is complete and should appear in the next 9 DP (although
don't hold me to that, it might be the one after the next one!).

The script level DG changes (2) is making good progress - Michael is on
the second sprint worth of work on it.

The engine level accelRender changes (3) is not going too badly either.

I've already sorted out selection handles based on some work Ali did a
while back in 9 - all selection type handles are now rendered above
everything else and the graphical artifacts which appeared in
accelRender mode have been eliminated.

I've also done an initial refactor of the way the underlying 'TileCache'
mechanism (which is the core of accelRender mode) is used from the main
engine code - the goal being that each control type controls how it is
rendered in that mode; rather than it happening in one place which is
the case currently. This is the crux of allowing child controls (of
groups) to be dynamic layers but it has some other nice benefits too...

In particular, it means that we should be able to eliminate the rules
about when controls can use accelRender (something I wasn't sure would
be possible when we specified the DG2 project) - e.g. you should, after
this work is complete, be able to set a group to 'dynamic' and then it
will automatically make itself scrolling if it is a scrolling group, and
also retain other things like its border and label should they be set
(similarly fields can get the same treatment).

The most intensive part of this work is going through and updating
around 150 or so places in the engine which flag where a redraw is
needed - making sure they are doing so much more specifically (e.g. the
border of this control has changed, so just update the border) -
slightly tedious perhaps, but well worth it and I've been plugging away
at it.

So, anyway, I can't yet give a date for when all the work will be
complete - but at the moemnt, at least, we do appear to be on track for
delivery in November... Although, famous last words and all that!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

Mark Waddingham wrote:

 > I've already sorted out selection handles based on some work Ali did a
 > while back in 9 - all selection type handles are now rendered above
 > everything else and the graphical artifacts which appeared in
 > accelRender mode have been eliminated.

I certainly don't want to distract you from rendering performance, but
as long as you have your head in the selection indication code I wonder
if this might become possible in v9:

Selection Handles: Make selection border optional
http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17676

The dashed border around selected controls certainly makes their
selected state clear, but it also obscures the object's own border,
sometimes making it difficult to visualize placement or changes to
border treatments until I deselect it.

I kinda liked how it used to be, where the only indicators added to a
selected object were the interactive handles, leaving the rest of the
object visibly the same so we could evaluate changes made to it as we
were making them.

But I recognize the change to alter the border treatment on selection
was probably made for a reason, so if that reason is still important
maybe that could become optional?

On 10/12/17 3:51 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> The dashed border around selected controls certainly makes their
> selected state clear, but it also obscures the object's own border,
> sometimes making it difficult to visualize placement or changes to
> border treatments until I deselect it.
>
> I kinda liked how it used to be, where the only indicators added to a
> selected object were the interactive handles, leaving the rest of the
> object visibly the same so we could evaluate changes made to it as we
> were making them.

Seconded. It isn't easy to change the visual settings of controls while
selected any more.

I think I understand why they did it though. It maches the dotted
selection in the project browser.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

On 10/13/2017 12:40 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> Seconded. It isn't easy to change the visual settings of controls while
> selected any more.
>
> I think I understand why they did it though. It maches the dotted
> selection in the project browser.

Yeah. One of the reasons I find the PB unusable.

Re: [ANN] Release 8.2.0 DP-2

J. Landman Gay via use-livecode
That, and the standalone settings are on my list of things I want to take a
shot at when I get time.  The PB is buggy, and I miss thumbnails.

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/13/2017 12:40 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:
>
> Seconded. It isn't easy to change the visual settings of controls while
>> selected any more.
>>
>> I think I understand why they did it though. It maches the dotted
>> selection in the project browser.
>>

> Yeah. One of the reasons I find the PB unusable.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

   and did a little diving.