[ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your
stacks before testing them.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains exciting new features, bug fixes, stability
and security improvements.

In total, 21 bugs have been fixed since the last development preview
release (LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-4).

Moreover, 36 additional bugs that have been fixed for 8.1.4 RC-1 (which is
not released yet), are included in LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.

LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains, among others, the following exciting new
features:

- Implementation of NFC tag reading on Android (Community, Indy and
Business):
New functions/commands/messages to read data from NFC tags.

- Implementation of a script library for common MIME functions (Community,
Indy and Business):
A new Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) library has been
implemented to provide support for common data formats such as multipart
email message bodies.

- Implementation of a remote debugger (Business only):
Run a standalone for the local platform from the IDE and debug it whilst it
runs locally
Run a standalone for iOS or Android from the IDE and debug it whilst it
runs on a directly connected Android or iOS device

- Implementation of a script profiler (Business only):
Use the new script profiler to identify the most costly lines of code in a
stack.

The full release notes are available from:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_0_dp_5.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!

The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I'm behind here in the overview:

Why even continue in 8.*   ?

What issues are there with 9.* that would make it advisable not to try it for production?

BR

On 2/23/17, 10:41 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of panagiotis merakos via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

First of all this is a Developer Preview. Note the, "This is not a stable release" disclaimer. Consider also that some may be unwilling to move to version 9 until such a time as they feel confident that most of the issues have been shaken out of it. I am one of these.

Do you suggest that all development and improvement for version 8 and that we all wait for certain bugs to be addressed in the next major release? That would be unfortunate. Already since the earlier versions of 8, there have been marked improvements and bug fixes, such as much faster search times and an order of magnitude faster Build times.

So long as version 8 is supported, I think we can expect (and be thankful) that the LC dev team is constantly improving. And also, I suspect that any new features introduced and bugs squashed in 8 are also being rolled into 9. It's not an either or proposition.

Bob S

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 13:35 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm behind here in the overview:
>
> Why even continue in 8.*   ?
>
> What issues are there with 9.* that would make it advisable not to try it for production?
>
> BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I'm drooling.  I once told Kevin that about half of the lines of code in my
mobile apps wind up being debugging code (granted the end up being
commented out, eventually, but I digress).  The biggest issue on mobile has
always been debugging.  I even have a debugging library that I have added
to all my mobiles to help me figure out what is going on when something
doesn't work.  The silent fails dog me even now.  This...this is going to
make the debugging task a lot easier.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> First of all this is a Developer Preview. Note the, "This is not a stable
> release" disclaimer. Consider also that some may be unwilling to move to
> version 9 until such a time as they feel confident that most of the issues
> have been shaken out of it. I am one of these.
>
> Do you suggest that all development and improvement for version 8 and that
> we all wait for certain bugs to be addressed in the next major release?
> That would be unfortunate. Already since the earlier versions of 8, there
> have been marked improvements and bug fixes, such as much faster search
> times and an order of magnitude faster Build times.
>
> So long as version 8 is supported, I think we can expect (and be thankful)
> that the LC dev team is constantly improving. And also, I suspect that any
> new features introduced and bugs squashed in 8 are also being rolled into
> 9. It's not an either or proposition.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Feb 23, 2017, at 13:35 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm behind here in the overview:
> >
> > Why even continue in 8.*   ?
> >
> > What issues are there with 9.* that would make it advisable not to try
> it for production?
> >
> > BR

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > Why even continue in 8.*   ?
 >
 > What issues are there with 9.* that would make it advisable not to
 > try it for production?

For deployment it's usually best to use the most recent Stable build.

But for development it's usually best to use the most recent build of
any designation so you know the current state of the engine as it
pertains to your work.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Another question:  Does the mobile have to be tethered to the desktop?  If
I build a standalone, how are we going to communicate?

Did you guys also see that we will have a regular message box context with
the app?  That's just one less thing I have to include with my stack (and
then use the mobile keyboard to accomplish...)

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 5:13 PM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm drooling.  I once told Kevin that about half of the lines of code in
> my mobile apps wind up being debugging code (granted the end up being
> commented out, eventually, but I digress).  The biggest issue on mobile has
> always been debugging.  I even have a debugging library that I have added
> to all my mobiles to help me figure out what is going on when something
> doesn't work.  The silent fails dog me even now.  This...this is going to
> make the debugging task a lot easier.
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> First of all this is a Developer Preview. Note the, "This is not a stable
>> release" disclaimer. Consider also that some may be unwilling to move to
>> version 9 until such a time as they feel confident that most of the issues
>> have been shaken out of it. I am one of these.
>>
>> Do you suggest that all development and improvement for version 8 and
>> that we all wait for certain bugs to be addressed in the next major
>> release? That would be unfortunate. Already since the earlier versions of
>> 8, there have been marked improvements and bug fixes, such as much faster
>> search times and an order of magnitude faster Build times.
>>
>> So long as version 8 is supported, I think we can expect (and be
>> thankful) that the LC dev team is constantly improving. And also, I suspect
>> that any new features introduced and bugs squashed in 8 are also being
>> rolled into 9. It's not an either or proposition.
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>> > On Feb 23, 2017, at 13:35 , Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm behind here in the overview:
>> >
>> > Why even continue in 8.*   ?
>> >
>> > What issues are there with 9.* that would make it advisable not to try
>> it for production?
>> >
>> > BR

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
LC Team,

Congratulations and many thanks for this feature-packed release.
Brilliant!

Jim Lambert

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode

> On 24 Feb 2017, at 9:42 am, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Another question:  Does the mobile have to be tethered to the desktop?  If
> I build a standalone, how are we going to communicate?

They communicate via sockets so no it doesn’t need to be tethered.

Cheers

Monte

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Probably a typo, but shouldn't the backslash be INSIDE the quotes in the example for Specifying local host and port when opening a socket?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
@ Bob (who wrote)

   " Do you suggest that all development and improvement for version 8 and that we all wait for certain bugs to be addressed in the next major release? That would be unfortunate. Already since the earlier versions of 8, there have been marked improvements and bug fixes, such as much faster search times and an order of magnitude faster Build times."

Not at all. But for those of us who are

a) making a major move to script only (stacks, libs, behaviors)
b) struggling with de-bugging on mobile

9 DP5 has us, as Mike says "drooling"

@Richard who wrote:

"for deployment -- most recent stable…"
"for dev -- most recent build, know current state of engine as pertains to your work."

How logical!  thanks… assuming there is no change in file format and stacks are backward compatible, that makes good sense.

I have backups everywhere, so I'm off with 9DP5

Congrats to the team at HQ

BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > @Richard who wrote:
 >
 > "for deployment -- most recent stable…"
 > "for dev -- most recent build, know current state of engine as
 > pertains to your work."
 >
 > How logical!  thanks… assuming there is no change in file format and
 > stacks are backward compatible, that makes good sense.

v8.1 and v9 share the same format.

But even when there is a format change, the team's done a good job of
providing save-as going back at least a decade's worth of older formats.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I wish I could understand the way different "levels" come out
concurrently. Are we to assume
that all the new things in 8.1.3 are also bound into 9.0.0 DP-5?

Richmond.

On 2/23/17 10:41 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.
>

> Developer Preview Release
> =========================
> Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your
> stacks before testing them.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>
> Release Contents
> ================
> LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains exciting new features, bug fixes, stability
> and security improvements.
>
> In total, 21 bugs have been fixed since the last development preview
> release (LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-4).
>
> Moreover, 36 additional bugs that have been fixed for 8.1.4 RC-1 (which is
> not released yet), are included in LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.
>
> LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains, among others, the following exciting new
> features:
>
> - Implementation of NFC tag reading on Android (Community, Indy and
> Business):
> New functions/commands/messages to read data from NFC tags.
>
> - Implementation of a script library for common MIME functions (Community,
> Indy and Business):
> A new Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) library has been
> implemented to provide support for common data formats such as multipart
> email message bodies.
>
> - Implementation of a remote debugger (Business only):
> Run a standalone for the local platform from the IDE and debug it whilst it
> runs locally
> Run a standalone for iOS or Android from the IDE and debug it whilst it
> runs on a directly connected Android or iOS device
>
> - Implementation of a script profiler (Business only):
> Use the new script profiler to identify the most costly lines of code in a
> stack.
>

> The full release notes are available from:
>
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_0_dp_5.pdf
>
> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>
> We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93
>
> Have fun!
>
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

AndyP
Apart from all the other changes, Its great to see Android getting some updates and attention.

A big well done to the team!
Andy Piddock

TinyIDE a Free alternative minimalist IDE Plugin for LiveCode TinyIDE

Script editor Themer for LC http://2108.co.uk

PointandSee is a FREE simple but full featured under cursor colour picker / finder. http://www.pointandsee.co.uk - made with LiveCode

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Richmond,
In general that is the case, yes. When for example 8.1.3 GM has been
released, we merge the branches all the way up so that the develop branch
(from which DPs are released) contains everything from that branch. In some
cases there may be things that are in earlier releases but not in a DP, but
very rarely, and I think it would only happen with regression fixes that
are specific to that earlier release.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 6:26 AM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

I wish I could understand the way different "levels" come out
concurrently. Are we to assume
that all the new things in 8.1.3 are also bound into 9.0.0 DP-5?

Richmond.

On 2/23/17 10:41 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.
>

> Developer Preview Release
> =========================
> Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up
your

> stacks before testing them.
>
> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>
> Release Contents
> ================
> LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains exciting new features, bug fixes, stability
> and security improvements.
>
> In total, 21 bugs have been fixed since the last development preview
> release (LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-4).
>
> Moreover, 36 additional bugs that have been fixed for 8.1.4 RC-1 (which is
> not released yet), are included in LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5.
>
> LiveCode 9.0.0 DP-5 contains, among others, the following exciting new
> features:
>
> - Implementation of NFC tag reading on Android (Community, Indy and
> Business):
> New functions/commands/messages to read data from NFC tags.
>
> - Implementation of a script library for common MIME functions (Community,
> Indy and Business):
> A new Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME) library has been
> implemented to provide support for common data formats such as multipart
> email message bodies.
>
> - Implementation of a remote debugger (Business only):
> Run a standalone for the local platform from the IDE and debug it whilst
it

> runs locally
> Run a standalone for iOS or Android from the IDE and debug it whilst it
> runs on a directly connected Android or iOS device
>
> - Implementation of a script profiler (Business only):
> Use the new script profiler to identify the most costly lines of code in a
> stack.
>

> The full release notes are available from:
>
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_0_dp_5.pdf
>
> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>
> We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93
>
> Have fun!
>
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
I like the way these tracks are going.  This is a very sensible and logical
way to progress.  The cool new dangerous toys go into the newest version,
and the sensible stuff goes into both.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 5:07 AM, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > - Implementation of a remote debugger (Business only):
> > Run a standalone for the local platform from the IDE and debug it whilst
> it
> > runs locally
> > Run a standalone for iOS or Android from the IDE and debug it whilst it
> > runs on a directly connected Android or iOS device
> >
> > - Implementation of a script profiler (Business only):
> > Use the new script profiler to identify the most costly lines of code in
> > stack.
> >

> > The full release notes are available from:
> >
> > http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_0/LiveCodeNotes-
> 9_0_0_dp_5.pdf
> >
> > Feedback
> > ========
> > Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
> > http://quality.livecode.com/
> >
> > We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
That is interesting because I am still struggling with a bug http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19322 where compiling to more than one OS from a splash stack and with stack files seems to "corrupt" (I use the term loosely) the mainstack where the libraries have been added to the list of stackfiles. What it does is it changes the path of the stack files to the path of the COPIED stack files in the first (or previous) build.

I say this post is interesting because this began with 8.1.x. Prior to that I could do multiple builds with no problems. Something regressed methinks in the 8.1 forward. The workaround is simple: Only build for one platform at a time.

Bob S

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 17:45 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> v8.1 and v9 share the same format.
>
> But even when there is a format change, the team's done a good job of providing save-as going back at least a decade's worth of older formats.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Bob you are probably affected by this bug:

http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19248

This will be fixed in 8.1.4 RC-1 (thanks to Trevor who identified the cause
and submitted a pull request)

Best,
Panos
--

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:41 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is interesting because I am still struggling with a bug
> http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19322 where compiling to more
> than one OS from a splash stack and with stack files seems to "corrupt" (I
> use the term loosely) the mainstack where the libraries have been added to
> the list of stackfiles. What it does is it changes the path of the stack
> files to the path of the COPIED stack files in the first (or previous)
> build.
>
> I say this post is interesting because this began with 8.1.x. Prior to
> that I could do multiple builds with no problems. Something regressed
> methinks in the 8.1 forward. The workaround is simple: Only build for one
> platform at a time.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Feb 23, 2017, at 17:45 , Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > v8.1 and v9 share the same format.
> >
> > But even when there is a format change, the team's done a good job of
> providing save-as going back at least a decade's worth of older formats.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Gaskin

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
That would be it, although I do not use any behaviors, except for data grids.

Bob S

> On Feb 24, 2017, at 08:13 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Bob you are probably affected by this bug:
>
> http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19248
>
> This will be fixed in 8.1.4 RC-1 (thanks to Trevor who identified the cause
> and submitted a pull request)
>
> Best,
> Panos

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
If you want, you can apply those changes locally:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5180/files

and see if the problem is fixed.

1. Type in the msg box "edit the script of stack revsaveasstandalone"
2. Make those changes
3. Make sure you click on the "Apply" button
4. Try to create a standalone for more than one platforms

PS: The changes will not be saved once you quit LiveCode, unless you change
the permissions in the LiveCode .app bundle

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be it, although I do not use any behaviors, except for data
> grids.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Feb 24, 2017, at 08:13 , panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Bob you are probably affected by this bug:
> >
> > http://quality.livecode.com/show_bug.cgi?id=19248
> >
> > This will be fixed in 8.1.4 RC-1 (thanks to Trevor who identified the
> cause
> > and submitted a pull request)
> >
> > Best,
> > Panos

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0 DP-5

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you want, you can apply those changes locally:
>
> https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5180/files
>
> and see if the problem is fixed.

I have a stack that will install the standalone builder fix (plus one other
one I’ve reported) when you open it. I have it as a plugin and open it when
I want to build a standalone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pficdwx3gm6z76c/InstallRevSaveAsStandaloneScriptUpdate.livecode?dl=0

--
Trevor DeVore