[ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Dear list members,

LiveCode 9.0.0 is out, read all about it here:

https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=8404b344b09103bf489dd8a9a&id=c574bcb9b3

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

> Am 03.04.2018 um 15:01 schrieb panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Dear list members,
>
> LiveCode 9.0.0 is out, read all about it here:
> https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=8404b344b09103bf489dd8a9a&id=c574bcb9b3

cool, thanks!

But the "Release Notes" still contain the famous and popular "Guessing game" on page 16,
mentioned here several time before. :-D
--------------------------
Additional forms of create command

Create in now works correctly
You can now create in as well as in

--------------------------

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team
> --

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Ah sorry about that! I'll file a bug report so as to make sure this is
resolved in the next release :)

For reference, this is what it is supposed to say:

-------------
# Additional forms of create command

Create <card> in <stack> now works correctly
-------------

Best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Panos,
>
> > Am 03.04.2018 um 15:01 schrieb panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]>:
> >
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > LiveCode 9.0.0 is out, read all about it here:
> > https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=8404b344b09103bf489dd8a9a&id=
> c574bcb9b3
>
> cool, thanks!
>
> But the "Release Notes" still contain the famous and popular "Guessing
> game" on page 16,
> mentioned here several time before. :-D
> --------------------------
> Additional forms of create command
>
> Create in now works correctly
> You can now create in as well as in
>
> --------------------------
>
> > Have fun!
> > The LiveCode Team
> > --
>
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> http://www.major-k.de

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
I assume with the release of LC 9.0.0 that there will not be a release
version of LC 8.2.0?

Is this the case? It makes sense, but I am just looking to confirm
whether this has been confirmed by the Mothership.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Also, the LC9 splash dialog/pane/whatever does not go away either by
clicking on it or after the menu and tool palette appears. Anyone else
seeing this?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
@Paul

RE the splash screen not going away, I have occasionally seen it in other
LC versions on Windows only in the past. If I remember correctly, it was
fixed once I deleted the LC Prefs.

RE 8.2.0, there will be no other LC 8.2 releases,  since all the features
and bug fixes of LC 8.2.x are now merged into LC 9.0.

Best,
Panos
--

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, the LC9 splash dialog/pane/whatever does not go away either by
> clicking on it or after the menu and tool palette appears. Anyone else
> seeing this?

Panagiotis Merakos <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Software Developer

Everyone Can Create Apps <https://livecode.com>

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
I had this problem with RC1.  I had to delete my lc prefs file.

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:26 AM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, the LC9 splash dialog/pane/whatever does not go away either by
> clicking on it or after the menu and tool palette appears. Anyone else
> seeing this?

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Thanks, Panos.  Very exciting news.

I've noticed in recent weeks that download speeds from
downloads.livecode.com have become very slow.  Builds that used to take
just a couple minutes now take hours.

My ISP isn't the best, but I haven't seen slow downloads like that
anywhere else.

Is this a known issue with that server?  Could there be something
specific to my ISP causing this delay with that subdomain but no others?

And a question about the future: now that v9 is out, is there anything
you can tell us about v10?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Congratulations!

Now let's "Heigh-Ho" over to my Linux box and see if we can . . .

Love, Richmond.

On 3/4/2018 4:01 pm, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> LiveCode 9.0.0 is out, read all about it here:
>
> https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=8404b344b09103bf489dd8a9a&id=c574bcb9b3
>
> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
And, what about the much vaunted 8.1.10
which is supposed to have several bug-fixes that I am hanging around for?

Richmond.

On 3/4/2018 6:20 pm, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:

> I assume with the release of LC 9.0.0 that there will not be a release
> version of LC 8.2.0?
>
> Is this the case? It makes sense, but I am just looking to confirm
> whether this has been confirmed by the Mothership.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Besides having most people busy on getting 9.0 out, it made sense to delay
8.1.10 a little more so we could get the Xcode/iOS update in there. It's
next on the agenda!

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 6:38 PM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> And, what about the much vaunted 8.1.10
> which is supposed to have several bug-fixes that I am hanging around for?
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 3/4/2018 6:20 pm, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode wrote:
> > I assume with the release of LC 9.0.0 that there will not be a release
> > version of LC 8.2.0?
> >
> > Is this the case? It makes sense, but I am just looking to confirm
> > whether this has been confirmed by the Mothership.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Lovely!

Richmond.

On 4/3/2018 11:35 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> @Paul
>
> RE the splash screen not going away, I have occasionally seen it in other
> LC versions on Windows only in the past. If I remember correctly, it was
> fixed once I deleted the LC Prefs.

Okay, here is a very newbie question: Where under Windows does LC store
its preferences? I don't even know what the file is called.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
@Paul

The Prefs are in:

C:/Users/your_user_name/AppData/Roaming/RunRev/Preferences/ folder

You should see one or two files there:

livecode.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode versions < 7
livecode7.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode 7, 8 and 9

Delete *both* of these files.

and make sure you first quit LC, then delete the Prefs, then restart LC.

@Richmond

All the fixes of 8.1.10 RC1 have already been included to 9.0.0

@Richard

Do you still experience slow download speed? I had no problem yesterday
from my home internet connection

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/3/2018 11:35 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> > @Paul
> >
> > RE the splash screen not going away, I have occasionally seen it in other
> > LC versions on Windows only in the past. If I remember correctly, it was
> > fixed once I deleted the LC Prefs.
> >

> Okay, here is a very newbie question: Where under Windows does LC store
> its preferences? I don't even know what the file is called.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
Yesterday it took me 3-4 hours to download LC 9. I’m in California.

Peter Bogdanoff

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 6:20 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Paul
>
> The Prefs are in:
>
> C:/Users/your_user_name/AppData/Roaming/RunRev/Preferences/ folder
>
> You should see one or two files there:
>
> livecode.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode versions < 7
> livecode7.rev --> Prefs for LiveCode 7, 8 and 9
>
> Delete *both* of these files.
>
> and make sure you first quit LC, then delete the Prefs, then restart LC.
>

> @Richmond
>
> All the fixes of 8.1.10 RC1 have already been included to 9.0.0
>
> @Richard
>
> Do you still experience slow download speed? I had no problem yesterday
> from my home internet connection
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 2:07 PM, Paul Dupuis via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2018 11:35 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>> @Paul
>>>
>>> RE the splash screen not going away, I have occasionally seen it in other
>>> LC versions on Windows only in the past. If I remember correctly, it was
>>> fixed once I deleted the LC Prefs.
>>>

>> Okay, here is a very newbie question: Where under Windows does LC store
>> its preferences? I don't even know what the file is called.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
So I removed all LC preferences files which included:

livecode.rev
livecode7.rev
revPreferences.rev

that were in the
C:/Users/your_user_name/AppData/Roaming/RunRev/Preferences/ folder and
started LC9 and the splash screen with the LC9 logo still is stuck
visible and will not go away until I show LC UI elements  and find it in
the Project Browser and explicitly close it.

This seems to be a bug to me. This occurs under Windows 8.1 64 bit.
Should I file a bug report?

@Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff:
 > Yesterday it took me 3-4 hours to download LC 9. I’m in California.

Good to know I'm not the only one.  Thanks.

@Panos:
 > Do you still experience slow download speed? I had no problem
 > yesterday from my home internet connection

Thanks for asking. Yes, and it's been the darndest thing.  Not even my
ISP could explain it.  It's been this way for more than a week, and
persists this morning, even across multiple computers.

I was able to find a workaround that demonstrates that it's not the
livecode.com server per se:  I shelled into one of my VPSes in New
Jersey and used wget to download the builds I needed - each took less
than a minute there.  Then I copied them to my web folder, and on my
local machine downloaded from that VPS - at normal speed.

So to summarize what I've learned thus far:

- It's not my computer: all computers here show this slow download

- It's not your server: I can download from it to another computer
   in a different geographic region with no delay.

- It's not my local network setup: Peter has the same issue, and
   downloading from my VPS is speedy.

Given all this, my wild guess would be that this is something related to
the CDN you're using (Cloudflare?), affecting only southern California,
or maybe even more limited than that since Peter and I are less than
about 20 miles from one another.

While Cloudflare's status page shows the Los Angeles area to be
"Operational", a quick search at Google turned up a few discussions
about issues in my area, the most recent I stumbled across being just 22
hours ago.

The bigger mystery is that this has persisted as long as it has.  Most
CDNs are super on top of things, and a multi-day issue is rare.

At least I have a workaround for now, and if I learn anything more I'll
pass it along.  In the meantime, if you hear of anything with your CDN
it may be helpful to share.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
@Peter
One more thing to try before filing a bug report:

1. Clear Prefs again
2. Open LC, you should see the revFileAssociation dialog ("LiveCode files
are not currently associated with this version. Would you like to make this
association?")
3. Choose "Yes"

Does the splash screen close after that?

BTW if you want to close this stack manually, you can try that:

- type in the msg box "close the mousestack" but do NOT press Enter
- place the cursor on the splash stack
- press enter

I am wondering if an error occurs on startup, so LC stops execution, and
the line of code in the IDE startup scripts that closes this stack is never
reached.

@Richard
Thanks for the update, I'll pass it to the team. I know we had at least
another 3 users in your area that suffered from very slow download speeds.
Network issues are hard to diagnose :)

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> @Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff:
> > Yesterday it took me 3-4 hours to download LC 9. I’m in California.
>
> Good to know I'm not the only one.  Thanks.
>

> @Panos:
> > Do you still experience slow download speed? I had no problem
> > yesterday from my home internet connection
>
> Thanks for asking. Yes, and it's been the darndest thing.  Not even my ISP
> could explain it.  It's been this way for more than a week, and persists
> this morning, even across multiple computers.
>
> I was able to find a workaround that demonstrates that it's not the
> livecode.com server per se:  I shelled into one of my VPSes in New Jersey
> and used wget to download the builds I needed - each took less than a
> minute there.  Then I copied them to my web folder, and on my local machine
> downloaded from that VPS - at normal speed.
>
> So to summarize what I've learned thus far:
>
> - It's not my computer: all computers here show this slow download
>
> - It's not your server: I can download from it to another computer
>   in a different geographic region with no delay.
>
> - It's not my local network setup: Peter has the same issue, and
>   downloading from my VPS is speedy.
>
> Given all this, my wild guess would be that this is something related to
> the CDN you're using (Cloudflare?), affecting only southern California, or
> maybe even more limited than that since Peter and I are less than about 20
> miles from one another.
>
> While Cloudflare's status page shows the Los Angeles area to be
> "Operational", a quick search at Google turned up a few discussions about
> issues in my area, the most recent I stumbled across being just 22 hours
> ago.
>
> The bigger mystery is that this has persisted as long as it has.  Most
> CDNs are super on top of things, and a multi-day issue is rare.
>
> At least I have a workaround for now, and if I learn anything more I'll
> pass it along.  In the meantime, if you hear of anything with your CDN it
> may be helpful to share.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode

> On Apr 4, 2018, at 10:35 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff:
> > Yesterday it took me 3-4 hours to download LC 9. I’m in California.
>
> Good to know I'm not the only one.  Thanks.

Me too in California. I don’t know how long it took, I went away and let it run after about 1/2 hour.
.Jerry

RE: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

Mike Bonner via use-livecode
I download all 3 platforms and release notes at the same time today and it took about 10 minutes on a 15x2 internet service.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]