[ANN] Release 9.0.0

Re: Can't seem to build standalone in LC9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Tom,
I just captured the relevant dialogs and Windows on my Mac. Never owned a Commodore, but did write some machine language for a radio shack model 100 once in the distant past.

I was sooo (naively) trusting of the perfection of lc9 that it took me way too long to try the build on lc8.2.

Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Glad you found a solution...I have to ask ....how did you get that
> commodore 64 look on your screens?  It was awesome! :D :D: D .... please
> please try to report the bug and help the team find it.  software is a hard
> hard problem.
>

> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Found solution:
>> Don’t use LC 9.0.0.
>> When I add more than one “.livecode” stack in the “Stacks” list, I get the
>> errors referred to in the original posting
>> However, when I use LC 8.2.0 (DP 2), I get a standalone. No errors.
>>
>> I’ll see if I can make a sample stack and report this as a bug.
>> Best,
>> Bill
>>
>>> On Apr 6, 2018, at 5:45 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> More info:
>>> When I only have a single “.livecode” stack and multiple
>> “.livecodescript” stacks in the “Stacks” list, it makes a standalone, but
>> with more than one (it doesn’t matter which one), “.livecode” stack, it
>> fails.
>>>
>>> This is starting to seem like a bug.
>>>
>>> Bill

>> trying to get this to work. If anybody has a few minutes to look at the
>> error dialogs in the link, I’d very much appreciate it. I’m probably
>> missing something very obvious, but ….

>> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipzyr9523h7n60/wp-standaloneDialogs.zip?dl=0>

>> (StacksList.png) is the standalone settings “Stacks” window, which shows a
>> list of the stacks. Another dialog (filesStructure.png) is my file
>> structure for the app. The third dialog (ErrorDialog.png) is the error
>> dialog that I get when I try to build a standalone. It appears, to me, that
>> somehow it can’t find the first “.livecode” stack it gets to in the stacks
>> list.

>> setting, or ……

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

I updated my two Macs today with LiveCode 9.0.0. Unfortunately I also had a very slow download on both. I have a very fast internet connection. I dowloaded them from within LiveCode by doing an update.

After I had downloaded them, I tried to see what the problem was. I did a test on my internet. It was at the correct speed in the test. So I went to the LiveCode download page and downloaded both the Indy and the Business dmg from the site at the same time. It took only a couple of minutes. So the slowness of the download appears to caused by using the LiveCode download stack. It was probably 20 to 30 times slower than using the download page.

Best Regards,
Ron

> [...]
> - place the cursor on the splash stack
> - press enter
>
> I am wondering if an error occurs on startup, so LC stops execution, and
> the line of code in the IDE startup scripts that closes this stack is never
> reached.
>
> @Richard
> Thanks for the update, I'll pass it to the team. I know we had at least
> another 3 users in your area that suffered from very slow download speeds.
> Network issues are hard to diagnose :)
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 6:35 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> @Peter Bogdanoff bogdanoff:
>>> Yesterday it took me 3-4 hours to download LC 9. I’m in California.
>>
>> Good to know I'm not the only one.  Thanks.
>>

>> @Panos:
>>> Do you still experience slow download speed? I had no problem
>>> yesterday from my home internet connection
>>
>> Thanks for asking. Yes, and it's been the darndest thing.  Not even my ISP
>> could explain it.  It's been this way for more than a week, and persists
>> this morning, even across multiple computers.
>>
>> I was able to find a workaround that demonstrates that it's not the
>> livecode.com server per se:  I shelled into one of my VPSes in New Jersey
>> and used wget to download the builds I needed - each took less than a
>> minute there.  Then I copied them to my web folder, and on my local machine
>> downloaded from that VPS - at normal speed.
>>
>> So to summarize what I've learned thus far:
>>
>> - It's not my computer: all computers here show this slow download
>>
>> - It's not your server: I can download from it to another computer
>>  in a different geographic region with no delay.
>>
>> - It's not my local network setup: Peter has the same issue, and
>>  downloading from my VPS is speedy.
>>
>> Given all this, my wild guess would be that this is something related to
>> the CDN you're using (Cloudflare?), affecting only southern California, or
>> maybe even more limited than that since Peter and I are less than about 20
>> miles from one another.
>>
>> While Cloudflare's status page shows the Los Angeles area to be
>> "Operational", a quick search at Google turned up a few discussions about
>> issues in my area, the most recent I stumbled across being just 22 hours
>> ago.
>>
>> The bigger mystery is that this has persisted as long as it has.  Most
>> CDNs are super on top of things, and a multi-day issue is rare.
>>
>> At least I have a workaround for now, and if I learn anything more I'll
>> pass it along.  In the meantime, if you hear of anything with your CDN it
>> may be helpful to share.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Can't seem to build standalone in LC9.0.0

I can say it is more complicated than the number of LiveCode stacks though
(just built a 3 stack app as a test). Any idea where in the 9 release cycle
this became an issue? Someone that can parse the error screen that you
captured should be able to provide a better clue to the problem (especially
if it hangs at the same spot regardless of which files are included).
On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 10:46 PM prothero--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom,
> I just captured the relevant dialogs and Windows on my Mac. Never owned a
> Commodore, but did write some machine language for a radio shack model 100
> once in the distant past.
>
> I was sooo (naively) trusting of the perfection of lc9 that it took me way
> too long to try the build on lc8.2.
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org
>
> > On Apr 6, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Glad you found a solution...I have to ask ....how did you get that
> > commodore 64 look on your screens?  It was awesome! :D :D: D .... please
> > please try to report the bug and help the team find it.  software is a
> hard
> > hard problem.
> >

> > On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 8:59 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Found solution:
> >> Don’t use LC 9.0.0.
> >> When I add more than one “.livecode” stack in the “Stacks” list, I get
> the
> >> errors referred to in the original posting
> >> However, when I use LC 8.2.0 (DP 2), I get a standalone. No errors.
> >>
> >> I’ll see if I can make a sample stack and report this as a bug.
> >> Best,
> >> Bill

> >> “.livecodescript” stacks in the “Stacks” list, it makes a standalone,
> but
> >> with more than one (it doesn’t matter which one), “.livecode” stack, it
> >> fails.

> >> trying to get this to work. If anybody has a few minutes to look at the
> >> error dialogs in the link, I’d very much appreciate it. I’m probably
> >> missing something very obvious, but ….

> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipzyr9523h7n60/wp-standaloneDialogs.zip?dl=0
> >> <
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wipzyr9523h7n60/wp-standaloneDialogs.zip?dl=0>

> >> (StacksList.png) is the standalone settings “Stacks” window, which
> shows a
> >> list of the stacks. Another dialog (filesStructure.png) is my file
> >> structure for the app. The third dialog (ErrorDialog.png) is the error
> >> dialog that I get when I try to build a standalone. It appears, to me,
> that
> >> somehow it can’t find the first “.livecode” stack it gets to in the
> stacks
> >> list.

> >> setting, or ……

Re: Can't seem to build standalone in LC9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Hi Bill,

In the error msg I saw a reference to "openstack". In LC 9 (started in RC-1
I *think*) we no longer lock messages when building a standalone. This was
necessary to fix other problems and it is mentioned in the 9.0.0 Release
Notes under the section "Breaking Changes".

So I wild guess is that you get that error because when building the
standalone one of these stacks receives the "openstack" message, and does
things that should not be done while building a standalone. If this is the
case, you can add this in the (pre)openstack handlers of your stacks:

on openstack
   if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
     exit openstack
   end if
  ..
  ..
end openstack

The same applies to "(pre)opencard", "closeStack".

Please let us know if this fixes the problem.

Best,
Panos

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Thanks for the update Ron. I confirm the auto updater is slower compared to
a direct download from the downloads page. I'll file a bug so as we
investigate further.

Best,
Panos

On Sat, Apr 7, 2018, 04:12 Ron Metzker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> miles from one another.
> >>
> >> While Cloudflare's status page shows the Los Angeles area to be
> >> "Operational", a quick search at Google turned up a few discussions
> about
> >> issues in my area, the most recent I stumbled across being just 22 hours
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> The bigger mystery is that this has persisted as long as it has.  Most
> >> CDNs are super on top of things, and a multi-day issue is rare.
> >>
> >> At least I have a workaround for now, and if I learn anything more I'll
> >> pass it along.  In the meantime, if you hear of anything with your CDN
> it
> >> may be helpful to share.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard Gaskin
> >> Fourth World Systems
> >> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

I'm sorry, I missed the point about using LiveCode's built-in upgrade
download capacity when
I reported that it took me about 3 minutes to download LC 9.0.

The reason I missed the point was that I have used the in-built upgrade
system exactly once (on a Mac)
and the whole thing was such a negative experience (slow and giving me a
slight feeling I wasn't in control)
that I have always downloaded versions via the download page through
Firefox.

The time I used the in-built upgrade system was a few years ago: and
coupled with the odd situation
that versions such as the 9.0 DP series offered me the opportunity to
"update" to some of the 8.1 series,
the result was that the in-built upgrade system has not been in the
"forefront of my consciousness"
for a considerable time.

Richmond.

On 7/4/2018 6:12 am, Ron Metzker via use-livecode wrote:

> [...]
>>> maybe even more limited than that since Peter and I are less than about 20
>>> miles from one another.
>>>
>>> While Cloudflare's status page shows the Los Angeles area to be
>>> "Operational", a quick search at Google turned up a few discussions about
>>> issues in my area, the most recent I stumbled across being just 22 hours
>>> ago.
>>>
>>> The bigger mystery is that this has persisted as long as it has.  Most
>>> CDNs are super on top of things, and a multi-day issue is rare.
>>>
>>> At least I have a workaround for now, and if I learn anything more I'll
>>> pass it along.  In the meantime, if you hear of anything with your CDN it
>>> may be helpful to share.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems
>>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: Text to Speech

AndyP via use-livecode
Looking up revSpeak in the 8.1.9 Dictionary I found several things of
interest:

NOT for Linux.

Works just fine (albeit a bit slowly) on my Polycarbonate iMac running
Mac OS 10.7.5

on mouseUp
   revSpeak fld "ff"
end mouseUp

HOWEVER: this seems to presuppose text-to-speech IS installed in the OS
. . .

SO: revSpeak does NOT seem to be a self-contained system, but one that
leverages whatever the underlying OS has to offer.

[I could be wrong here; so, if 'the usual mavens' (Klaus ?) could
confirm/contradict, that would be useful]

When I set up a listField "VOX" (Hey, dead original or what?)

and issued this command:

put revSpeechVoices() into fld "VOX"

the list coincided EXACTLY with the voices I had installed in my
Operating System.

When I set the fld "ff" contents to 'fishfingers' the speech made a
'right hash' of things,
but did rather better with 'eat my socks': so you will find that the
capacity of revSpeak is
as good or as crappy as the underlying speech synthesiser (and, as far
as I can work out,
text-to-speech on Macintosh doesn't seem to have improved much since my
kids and I were
fooling around with it in Jeddah, KSA, in 1996, with Mac OS 8.1).

If one makes the "mistake" of doing a search for revSpeak in the
dictionary one
misses all sorts of useful stuff that DOES turn up if one searches for
Speech.

NOT knowing much about Windows, I don't know if a text-to-speech
capability is automatically installed
during a "plain vanilla" install: if it isn't, one has to consider
carefully about issuing standalones
for Windows that leverage this capability.

Richmond.

On 7/4/2018 1:45 am, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:

> Folks:
> I’m wondering if there is any text to speech capability in livecode. There are references to it when I do a Google search, but I don’t get any sound when I do:
>
>    on mouseUp
>          revSpeak "Hello, How are you?"
>      end mouseUp
>
> I don’t get any sound.
>
> I would want to use it for more than a simple alert. Is this practical?
>
> Best,
> Bill
>
> William A. Prothero
> http://earthlearningsolutions.org

Re: Text to Speech

AndyP via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

You need to download some of the newer voices.
Try Veena from India, Fiona - a Scottish voice,
and Moira from Ireland.  There are a ton of them
out there now. Some are still better than others,
but a few are quite convincing!

Have fun!

Rick

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 4:03 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> as far as I can work out,
> text-to-speech on Macintosh doesn't seem to have improved much since my kids and I were
> fooling around with it in Jeddah, KSA, in 1996, with Mac OS 8.1).

Re: Text to Speech

AndyP via use-livecode
I know: I nearly split my sides laughing at 'Fiona', who sounds like,
one assumes,
some engineer in California's stereotype.

Richmond.

On 7/4/2018 5:10 pm, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> You need to download some of the newer voices.
> Try Veena from India, Fiona - a Scottish voice,
> and Moira from Ireland.  There are a ton of them
> out there now. Some are still better than others,
> but a few are quite convincing!
>
> Have fun!
>
> Rick
>
>> On Apr 7, 2018, at 4:03 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> as far as I can work out,
>> text-to-speech on Macintosh doesn't seem to have improved much since my kids and I were
>> fooling around with it in Jeddah, KSA, in 1996, with Mac OS 8.1).

Re: Can't seem to build standalone in LC9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Pianos,
Thanks for the hint. I’m busy this morning, but will try your fix this afternoon and get back.
Best,
Bill

William Prothero
http://earthlearningsolutions.org

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 11:06 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> In the error msg I saw a reference to "openstack". In LC 9 (started in RC-1
> I *think*) we no longer lock messages when building a standalone. This was
> necessary to fix other problems and it is mentioned in the 9.0.0 Release
> Notes under the section "Breaking Changes".
>
> So I wild guess is that you get that error because when building the
> standalone one of these stacks receives the "openstack" message, and does
> things that should not be done while building a standalone. If this is the
> case, you can add this in the (pre)openstack handlers of your stacks:
>
> on openstack
>   if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
>     exit openstack
>   end if
>  ..
>  ..
> end openstack
>
> The same applies to "(pre)opencard", "closeStack".
>
> Please let us know if this fixes the problem.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
> ​

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Yes, my slow download was via the auto updater.
.Jerry

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 12:15 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the update Ron. I confirm the auto updater is slower compared to
> a direct download from the downloads page. I'll file a bug so as we
> investigate further.

Re: Can't seem to build standalone in LC9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Panos:
That fixed it. Hmm… It seems like there are a lot more interactions between the IDE and the project, though. I haven’t decided yet if this is a good thing, or if it doesn’t matter.
Bill

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 11:06 PM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> In the error msg I saw a reference to "openstack". In LC 9 (started in RC-1
> I *think*) we no longer lock messages when building a standalone. This was
> necessary to fix other problems and it is mentioned in the 9.0.0 Release
> Notes under the section "Breaking Changes".
>
> So I wild guess is that you get that error because when building the
> standalone one of these stacks receives the "openstack" message, and does
> things that should not be done while building a standalone. If this is the
> case, you can add this in the (pre)openstack handlers of your stacks:
>
> on openstack
>   if the mode of stack "revStandaloneProgress" > 0 then
>     exit openstack
>   end if
>  ..
>  ..
> end openstack
>
> The same applies to "(pre)opencard", "closeStack".
>
> Please let us know if this fixes the problem.
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
> ​

Inclusions for database access?

AndyP via use-livecode
Folks:
I’m accessing a mysql database using Andre Garza’s software, and it works perfectly in the IDE. (LC9.0.0, Mac OSX 10.13.3).

However, when I build a standalone, the call just seems to hang and nothing is returned.

I am assuming that I’m making some mistake with inclusions? What might I be doing wrong that is triggered in the standalone, but not the IDE? I’ve included everything in the inclusions list that seems related to internet actions.

Any suggestions would much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

I don’t expect that the code needs debugging, as it works fine, but just to make sure it’s clear what I’m doing, my code is:

function getAppSettings

        put "In getAppSettings"&cr after fld "status"

        put "http://earthexplorer.earthlearningsolutions.org/scgi-bin/wpserver.php" into tConfigA["url"]

        put "ADBDDFCFBDBBDDCCFFACGHDFFFFEEDCC" into tConfigA["encryption_key"] // Encryption Key

        dbSetDefaultConnectionConfiguration tConfigA

        put "Earth Explorer D3" into tAppName

        dbWhere "appName", tAppName

        put dbGet("app_settings") into pDataA

        if pDataA["data"] = "" then

                return "DbError: ---------- "&cr&pDataA&cr

        exit getAppSettings

        end if

        return pDataA["data"]

end getAppSettings

RE: Inclusions for database access?

AndyP via use-livecode
I take it you included MySQL. Maybe Andre's library need some other inclusion like XML or json?

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Teleconferencing is a phone function, not a web or file server. The agreement with the ISP is that you do not try to run a business grade server out of your home without paying for a business grade internet connection. I do not think they necessarily are monitoring your traffic to try to catch you in the act, although if you used an inordinate amount of bandwidth consistently each month, that might raise some red flags. Otherwise entities would put their file and mail servers in their bathrooms, and who is stupid enough to do that?? ;-)

Bob S

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 11:11 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Teleconferencing and working from home has changed these dynamics. At what
> point does a teleconference with 5 people not 'look' like a "server" to the
> ISP?
>
> --
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Teleconferencing is NOT a telephone function.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 7:54 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Teleconferencing is a phone function, not a web or file server. The
> agreement with the ISP is that you do not try to run a business grade
> server out of your home without paying for a business grade internet
> connection. I do not think they necessarily are monitoring your traffic to
> try to catch you in the act, although if you used an inordinate amount of
> bandwidth consistently each month, that might raise some red flags.
> Otherwise entities would put their file and mail servers in their
> bathrooms, and who is stupid enough to do that?? ;-)
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Apr 6, 2018, at 11:11 , Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Teleconferencing and working from home has changed these dynamics. At
> what
> > point does a teleconference with 5 people not 'look' like a "server" to
> the
> > ISP?
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> > mixstream.org

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.0

AndyP via use-livecode
Depends on what you mean. On my phone I can put someone on hold, then call someone else and have them join the conversation. Or I can call a telephone number at a scheduled time and so does everyone else in the call, and a server of sorts on the Interwebs connects us all together. My point is that it is not a server running on your home network that makes this possible.

Bob S

Panos wrote:

 > In the error msg I saw a reference to "openstack". In LC 9 (started in
 > RC-1 I *think*) we no longer lock messages when building a standalone.
 > This was necessary to fix other problems and it is mentioned in the
 > 9.0.0 Release Notes under the section "Breaking Changes".

I'm sure there's a good reason for that, but it sounds like a world of
hurt.  In fact, standalone building has long been more disruptive to the
development workflow than it could be.

Any reason standalone building can't be done in a separate process?

That way we could keep our setup just how we like it while we're
working, initiate the build, and not have the flashing of flying windows
coming and going and re-inititializing our apps just to get something
tested as a standalone.