[ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1 comes with more than 90 bugfixes. Several long standing
and annoying bugs have been fixed - including - but not limited to:

- several inconsistencies, partial screen updates, incorrect screen
redraws, "black screen" issues and crashes when acceleratedRendering is
true are now fixed
- the crash when reopening an app that was terminated with the "quit"
command on Android no longer occurs
- the performance of the IDE on Windows is significantly improved
- a couple of issues with breakpoints are now fixed

In addition, LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1 includes several new features:

- support for building with Xcode 9.4.x, using iOS 11.4 SDK
- new tsNet and mergExt builds
- new stereo panning properties added to MacOS Player Object
- support for Option Menus on Android

Known issues
================
- The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with
Cinnamon window manager.
- The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS
yet.

The full release notes are available from:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_0_1/LiveCodeNotes-9_0_1_rc_1.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

On 7/9/18 11:34 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> - several inconsistencies, partial screen updates, incorrect screen
> redraws, "black screen" issues and crashes when acceleratedRendering is
> true are now fixed
> - the crash when reopening an app that was terminated with the "quit"
> command on Android no longer occurs

This is great news, thanks to the whole team! These issues have been a
problem for a very long time.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
By the way, we forgot to add to the 'highlights' the fact that we have
updated the target sdk of the android build to API 26, and added a fixed
target SDK version to the template manifest. This should mean that apps
built with 9.0.1-rc-1 will be accepted into the Google Play store without
any warnings about target SDK version.

On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 7/9/18 11:34 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> > - several inconsistencies, partial screen updates, incorrect screen
> > redraws, "black screen" issues and crashes when acceleratedRendering is
> > true are now fixed
> > - the crash when reopening an app that was terminated with the "quit"
> > command on Android no longer occurs
>
> This is great news, thanks to the whole team! These issues have been a
> problem for a very long time.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
That was one of the first things I checked. :)

I had some trouble getting LC to recognize my phone until I realized
that my SDK in mobile prefs had been removed. Android devs should note
that you need to have SDK 8 or higher installed (the informative
notification dialog was a big help here.) I installed 7, 8, and 8.1 and
LC then allowed me to re-select the SDK in preferences, the phone showed
up in the Target menu, and I could do a test build.

The working option button is a cool addition, that was something I
didn't expect.

On 7/9/18 3:23 PM, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode wrote:

> By the way, we forgot to add to the 'highlights' the fact that we have
> updated the target sdk of the android build to API 26, and added a fixed
> target SDK version to the template manifest. This should mean that apps
> built with 9.0.1-rc-1 will be accepted into the Google Play store without
> any warnings about target SDK version.
>
> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 7/9/18 11:34 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>> - several inconsistencies, partial screen updates, incorrect screen
>>> redraws, "black screen" issues and crashes when acceleratedRendering is
>>> true are now fixed
>>> - the crash when reopening an app that was terminated with the "quit"
>>> command on Android no longer occurs
>>
>> This is great news, thanks to the whole team! These issues have been a
>> problem for a very long time.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Panos wrote:
 > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.

Here (Los Angeles) the download is estimated to take three hours. Could
this be a repeat of the CDN issue you'd corrected a few weeks ago?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

On 07/09/2018 01:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
> Panos wrote:
>  > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.
>
> Here (Los Angeles) the download is estimated to take three hours. Could
> this be a repeat of the CDN issue you'd corrected a few weeks ago?

Here it actually took only about 45 minutes.
That's about 8 megabytes / minute, or 132kbytes / second.
Better than a dialup modem, eh?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thank you all LiveCode staffers - appreciate the many Android bug fixes

Kind regards

Dave

-----
Peter M. Brigham

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

On 7/9/18 5:11 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 07/09/2018 01:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>> Panos wrote:
>>  > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.
>>
>> Here (Los Angeles) the download is estimated to take three hours.
>> Could this be a repeat of the CDN issue you'd corrected a few weeks ago?
>>

> Here it actually took only about 45 minutes.
> That's about 8 megabytes / minute, or 132kbytes / second.
> Better than a dialup modem, eh?

Here in the Northland, downloading from the web page, it took about five
minutes.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Whoa! Here in the Pacific Northwest (Portland area) I downloaded the
Indy version in 1:43. That's one minute and change.

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

On 07/09/2018 03:27 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

> On 7/9/18 5:11 PM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 07/09/2018 01:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Panos wrote:
>>>  > We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.
>>>
>>> Here (Los Angeles) the download is estimated to take three hours.
>>> Could this be a repeat of the CDN issue you'd corrected a few weeks ago?
>>>

>> Here it actually took only about 45 minutes.
>> That's about 8 megabytes / minute, or 132kbytes / second.
>> Better than a dialup modem, eh?
>>

> Here in the Northland, downloading from the web page, it took about five
> minutes.

Well, sure... at a higher latitude the electrons don't have as far to go.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
It's the quarks that don't have as far to go, on account of their travelling faster than light. Electrons are the pedestrians of the space time continuum.

Bob S

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 15:41 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Here in the Northland, downloading from the web page, it took about five minutes.
>
> Well, sure... at a higher latitude the electrons don't have as far to go.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

> 10. jul. 2018 kl. 00:41 skrev Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Well, sure... at a higher latitude the electrons don't have as far to go.

That must be why I can report even better times (approx 1:30) than Phil Davis. I am at sea level, but on the west coast of Norway, so not very far from Scotland.

Tore Nilsen

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
You're welcome to come by and download from here.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On July 9, 2018 5:43:43 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 07/09/2018 03:27 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode wrote:

>>> Here it actually took only about 45 minutes.
>>> That's about 8 megabytes / minute, or 132kbytes / second.
>>> Better than a dialup modem, eh?
>>>

>> Here in the Northland, downloading from the web page, it took about five
>> minutes.
>>

> Well, sure... at a higher latitude the electrons don't have as far to go.
>
> --
>  Mark Wieder
>  [hidden email]

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
A speedy 6hrs estimated here in White Salmon, Washington.
Guess I’ll have to wait until later this evening.
Bill

> On Jul 9, 2018, at 4:06 PM, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You're welcome to come by and download from here.
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
> On July 9, 2018 5:43:43 PM Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Here in the Northland, downloading from the web page, it took about five
>>> minutes.
>>>

>> Well, sure... at a higher latitude the electrons don't have as far to go.
>>
>> --
>> Mark Wieder

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

On 07/09/2018 04:26 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode wrote:
> A speedy 6hrs estimated here in White Salmon, Washington.
> Guess I’ll have to wait until later this evening.

Yah. Once those electrons get hot and swell up not as many of them can
fit through the internet tubes any more. Good idea to let them cool down
in the evening.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Where is the documentation how to do this correctly?

For a Mac Android developer

??

J. Landman
    Android devs should note
    that you need to have SDK 8 or higher installed (the informative
    notification dialog was a big help here.) I installed 7, 8, and 8.1 and
    LC then allowed me to re-select the SDK in preferences, the phone showed
    up in the Target menu, and I could do a test build.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Congratulations to the team for all the hard work!

This is a big day for us.

India, Malaysia, indeed, all South Asian is now "open for [Android] business"

Brahmanathaswami

panagiotis merakos

    Dear list members,

    We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.0.1 RC-1.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
It isn't so much a LC issue, you need to update via the SDK manager. On
my Mac, I double-click the "android" file at
/android-sdk-macosx/tools/android. That launches the SDK manager where
you can choose the updates you want to install.

I'm still using the old command line tools, but I believe there is a way
to get the same thing in Android Studio also.

William Prothero wrote:

 > On 07/09/2018 01:41 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> Here (Los Angeles) the download is estimated to take three hours.
 >> Could this be a repeat of the CDN issue you'd corrected a few weeks
 >> ago?
 >
 > A speedy 6hrs estimated here in White Salmon, Washington.
 > Guess I’ll have to wait until later this evening.

Last time the CDN was doing selective regional throttling my workaround
was to log into a server in a very different area (one of my VPSes is in
New Jersey), use wget to download it there, and then download to my
local machine from my VPS.  Sure, it was a couple extra steps, but it
cut download time from hours to minutes.

If you have a remote VPS sufficiently far away may be worth trying until
Cloudflare sorts itself out.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.0.1 RC-1

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Richard,