[ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.

Developer Preview Release
=========================
Warning: this is not a stable release.  Please ensure that you back up your
stacks before testing them.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1 comes with more than 20 bugfixes.

In addition, LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1 includes several amazing new features:

- The mobile player control has been updated to use the AVKit framework on
iOS. This fixes a lot of existing bugs, including some new issues on iOS
13+ devices.
- The mobile browser control has been updated to use the WebKit framework
on iOS. This provides better performance on iOS devices.
- The "open printing to pdf ..." command can now be used to direct printing
to a PDF output file on Android devices.
- Support for building with Xcode 11.1 and the iOS 13.1 SDK has been added.
- New tsNet build with support for iOS 13+ is included.
- New CEF build is included, which addresses rendering issues with the
browser widget in some 32bit Windows devices.

Known issues
================

- This build (for Mac) is not notarized yet, so if your Mac is running
MacOS Catalina (10.15.x) you will get a warning dialog saying that the app
cannot be opened. In this case, you have to whitelist LiveCode in the
System Settings -> Security and Privacy, and then right-click on LiveCode
and choose "Open" from the contextual menu. Just double-clicking to open it
will not work. Note that you'll only need to do this once, the very first
time you open LiveCode 9.6 DP-1. For more details and instructions see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202491

- The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with
Cinnamon window manager.
- The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS
yet.

The full release notes are available from:

http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_6_0/LiveCodeNotes-9_6_0_dp_1.pdf

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our BugZilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

On 11/26/19 1:58 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.

Really?
A major point release while still in the queue there are

186 pull requests for the engine (dating back to 2014)
42 pull requests for the IDE (dating back to 2016)

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.

> Mark Wieder wrote:
> Really?
> A major point release while still in the queue there are
>
> 186 pull requests for the engine (dating back to 2014)
> 42 pull requests for the IDE (dating back to 2016)

Good point, perhaps the major point principle has lost its
meaning already with 9.5.0 (compared to 9.0.5)?

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

On 2019-11-26 17:51, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 11/26/19 1:58 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.
>
> Really?
> A major point release while still in the queue there are
>
> 186 pull requests for the engine (dating back to 2014)
> 42 pull requests for the IDE (dating back to 2016)

Its not a major point release, its a minor point release a la semantic
versioning (https://semver.org/) - major.minor.maintenance.

It contains a number of changes which are definitely not suitable for a
maintenance release (as they add or change functionality) but are
critical to quite a number of people's apps (iOS player issues, in
particular; but also some android issues too) [ otherwise they would
have been in a 9.5.2! ]

[ Note: We do sometimes change functionality in a backwards incompatible
fashion in minor point releases so we aren't strictly semver - but only
if it is focused in specific areas - in this case, we had to remove some
features from the mobile player control as we could not replicate them
with the replacement OS APIs, and we had to tweak how you setup the
camera control to stop iOS complaining about permissions. ]

At least 100 of the engine pull requests are either incomplete (no
release note yet, no issue filed yet, no docs updates yet etc.) or WIP
so are not mergeable as they stand. Probably half of the remainder are
probably stale/no longer relevant/not going to get merged - so they
probably could do with a cull (which is something for when I have a
'spare' afternoon).

The IDE PRs (after a very brief perusal) look like about half are not
yet complete and a few are WIP so not too dissimilar % wise.

We felt it better to get dp-1 almost feature complete, addressing the
critical issues holding up people's apps first before lumping a lot of
fixes from all over the place. The latter always risks a greater
increase in the possibility of regressions and thus potential for a
largely unusable build.

We're planning to get at least 20 further bugfixes merged for dp-2, and
how many more than that depends on how testing goes, regression reports
go and how much time we have before christmas :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Well i'm happy at least PDF printing is a step in the right direction.

Via html and opening in a browser one could get to pdf / print on paper,
so we can skip that.

Hopefully printing on paper will be a next step on Android.

Thanks a lot!

Jerry

Op 26-11-2019 om 19:34 schreef Mark Waddingham via use-livecode:

> On 2019-11-26 17:51, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
>> On 11/26/19 1:58 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>>> Dear list members,
>>>
>>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.
>>
>> Really?
>> A major point release while still in the queue there are
>>
>> 186 pull requests for the engine (dating back to 2014)
>> 42 pull requests for the IDE (dating back to 2016)
>
> Its not a major point release, its a minor point release a la semantic
> versioning (https://semver.org/) - major.minor.maintenance.
>
> It contains a number of changes which are definitely not suitable for
> a maintenance release (as they add or change functionality) but are
> critical to quite a number of people's apps (iOS player issues, in
> particular; but also some android issues too) [ otherwise they would
> have been in a 9.5.2! ]
>
> [ Note: We do sometimes change functionality in a backwards
> incompatible fashion in minor point releases so we aren't strictly
> semver - but only if it is focused in specific areas - in this case,
> we had to remove some features from the mobile player control as we
> could not replicate them with the replacement OS APIs, and we had to
> tweak how you setup the camera control to stop iOS complaining about
> permissions. ]
>
> At least 100 of the engine pull requests are either incomplete (no
> release note yet, no issue filed yet, no docs updates yet etc.) or WIP
> so are not mergeable as they stand. Probably half of the remainder are
> probably stale/no longer relevant/not going to get merged - so they
> probably could do with a cull (which is something for when I have a
> 'spare' afternoon).
>
> The IDE PRs (after a very brief perusal) look like about half are not
> yet complete and a few are WIP so not too dissimilar % wise.
>
> We felt it better to get dp-1 almost feature complete, addressing the
> critical issues holding up people's apps first before lumping a lot of
> fixes from all over the place. The latter always risks a greater
> increase in the possibility of regressions and thus potential for a
> largely unusable build.
>
> We're planning to get at least 20 further bugfixes merged for dp-2,
> and how many more than that depends on how testing goes, regression
> reports go and how much time we have before christmas :)
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

On 11/26/19 10:34 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> Its not a major point release, its a minor point release a la semantic
> versioning (https://semver.org/) - major.minor.maintenance.

OK. I don't want to get into arguing semantics.
But there are now several active (?) streams.
LC 8.2.0 is still at a DP2 build
I take it that the 8.x series is a dead end?

LC 9.0.x is at a stable 9.0.5 build.
Is that the end of 9.0?

LC 9.5.1 is at the RC1 stage, and has been for three weeks
In LC history that's pretty long for an RC release to lay stagnant.
Is there going to be a stable LC 9.5 release or is development now going
towards 9.6?

LC 9.6.0 is newly at DP1
And I take it that this is the wave of the future and why building from
source announces itself as 9.6.

> It contains a number of changes which are definitely not suitable for a
> maintenance release (as they add or change functionality) but are
> critical to quite a number of people's apps (iOS player issues, in
> particular; but also some android issues too) [ otherwise they would
> have been in a 9.5.2! ]

Yes, this feels subjectively to me like a 9.5.2 release. Again, I don't
want to argue naming semantics, but the 9.0->9.5 jump was a major
change, and this doesn't feel like that kind of leap to me. I'm glad the
problems were fixed, I just expected more from the build level.

> (which is something for when I have a 'spare' afternoon).

Heh.

> We felt it better to get dp-1 almost feature complete, addressing the
> critical issues holding up people's apps first before lumping a lot of
> fixes from all over the place. The latter always risks a greater
> increase in the possibility of regressions and thus potential for a
> largely unusable build.

No argument there.
OK - I'm not going to get anywhere by pushing this point further, so I'm
gonna shut up and get back to working on things.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
If I had written that there would be people queueing at the airport to
come over to Bulgaria and surgically remove my, erm, "ears."

Well done, Mr Wieder.

On 26.11.19 19:51, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:

> On 11/26/19 1:58 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode wrote:
>> Dear list members,
>>
>> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.0 DP-1.
>
> Really?
> A major point release while still in the queue there are
>
> 186 pull requests for the engine (dating back to 2014)
> 42 pull requests for the IDE (dating back to 2016)

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
@Mark Waddingham.
Good to know you are still alive.

LC version numbering has it's own logic, agreed -- as long as
it's counting up. Integers are meek as a lamb, we have enough
of them.

Nevertheless Mark Wieder made a good point with looking at the
pull requests.

If I understand correctly then you both are right:
At the very end it is the content that matters.

Now we all look forward to know which pull requests are *NOT*
"incomplete or WIP" and which are  *NOT*  "stale / no longer
relevant / not going to get merged".

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I think I understand what "no longer relevant" means,
but "stale" is unclear to me; I've always thought of something
that has gone stale as something that someone
should have done something with earlier but somehow 'overlooked.'

And, as to "not going to get merged," well, why isn't that feature going
to get
merged? I wonder how many people are going to feel completely satisfied by
either that classification or "stale" ?

On 26.11.19 22:44, hh via use-livecode wrote:

> @Mark Waddingham.
> Good to know you are still alive.
>
> LC version numbering has it's own logic, agreed -- as long as
> it's counting up. Integers are meek as a lamb, we have enough
> of them.
>
> Nevertheless Mark Wieder made a good point with looking at the
> pull requests.
>
> If I understand correctly then you both are right:
> At the very end it is the content that matters.
>
> Now we all look forward to know which pull requests are *NOT*
> "incomplete or WIP" and which are  *NOT*  "stale / no longer
> relevant / not going to get merged".

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Round these parts quite a few of us have our own logic, so I wouldn't
get fussed about the numbering . . .

I'm actually looking forward to fiddling around with the new release
over the weekend,
and building the new "PDF bits" into my Devawriter Pro: Thanks in advance!

On 26.11.19 22:44, hh via use-livecode wrote:

> @Mark Waddingham.
> Good to know you are still alive.
>
> LC version numbering has it's own logic, agreed -- as long as
> it's counting up. Integers are meek as a lamb, we have enough
> of them.
>
> Nevertheless Mark Wieder made a good point with looking at the
> pull requests.
>
> If I understand correctly then you both are right:
> At the very end it is the content that matters.
>
> Now we all look forward to know which pull requests are *NOT*
> "incomplete or WIP" and which are  *NOT*  "stale / no longer
> relevant / not going to get merged".

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have a couple and at least one is directly targeted at mobile (7154).  6404 is Vulcan reviewed but not yet merged (and is the oldest one I have outstanding).  Both are widget updates.

For the IDE I only have 1987 which had a conflict that I just resolved (allow nesting of DG behaviors).

Thanks,
Brian
On Nov 26, 2019, 3:45 PM -0500, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> @Mark Waddingham.
> Good to know you are still alive.
>
> LC version numbering has it's own logic, agreed -- as long as
> it's counting up. Integers are meek as a lamb, we have enough
> of them.
>
> Nevertheless Mark Wieder made a good point with looking at the
> pull requests.
>
> If I understand correctly then you both are right:
> At the very end it is the content that matters.
>
> Now we all look forward to know which pull requests are *NOT*
> "incomplete or WIP" and which are *NOT* "stale / no longer
> relevant / not going to get merged".

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Whatever the semantics of release numbers, what pull requests or issues remain.

You did the right thing!

MW: We felt it better to get dp-1 almost feature complete, addressing the
critical issues holding up people's apps first before lumping a lot of
fixes from all over the place. The latter always risks a greater
increase in the possibility of regressions and thus potential for a
largely unusable build.

thank you to staying on the key priorities.

Hopefully 9.6 will work on iPhone 8!

Brahmanathaswami

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I LOVE YOU!!! (erm... plutonically of course.)

Bob S

> On Nov 26, 2019, at 15:26 , Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For the IDE I only have 1987 which had a conflict that I just resolved (allow nesting of DG behaviors).
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I suspect most people would prefer and be more satisfied with a situation where the things which were merged were of appropriate quality, traceable, documented, not break anything and were reasonably certain to not cause difficulties in the future. (The latter two criteria are hard to meet, but at least achieving the previous three helps mitigate that fact).

As with most cases of quoting numbers without any due diligence, analysis or context (as is the case in the original post) - one would be wise to not infer anything from it as numbers quoted in such a fashion are essentially meaningless (42, anyone?).

All of us try things, whether it be adding features, fixing bugs or just experiments in our code - the results of which never see the light of day. In my team’s case we have the tendency to push whatever we do publicly as a branch / PR as a matter of habit (although perhaps I should re-evaluate as to whether it is a good habit or not!)

If we did not have that policy and instead we pushed nothing publicly until it was going to be merged (which does not appear to be an uncommon phenomenon looking askance at quite a few other large projects lurking out there); then you’d probably find the number of open PRs at any one time would probably be countable on your digits.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 26 Nov 2019, at 20:50, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think I understand what "no longer relevant" means,
> but "stale" is unclear to me; I've always thought of something
> that has gone stale as something that someone
> should have done something with earlier but somehow 'overlooked.'
>
> And, as to "not going to get merged," well, why isn't that feature going to get
> merged? I wonder how many people are going to feel completely satisfied by
> either that classification or "stale" ?
>
>> On 26.11.19 22:44, hh via use-livecode wrote:
>> @Mark Waddingham.
>> Good to know you are still alive.
>>
>> LC version numbering has it's own logic, agreed -- as long as
>> it's counting up. Integers are meek as a lamb, we have enough
>> of them.
>>
>> Nevertheless Mark Wieder made a good point with looking at the
>> pull requests.
>>
>> If I understand correctly then you both are right:
>> At the very end it is the content that matters.
>>
>> Now we all look forward to know which pull requests are *NOT*
>> "incomplete or WIP" and which are  *NOT*  "stale / no longer
>> relevant / not going to get merged".

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
You need a bigger computer. Unfortunately it's scheduled for demolition. ;-)

Bob S

> On Nov 26, 2019, at 17:56 , Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As with most cases of quoting numbers without any due diligence, analysis or context (as is the case in the original post) - one would be wise to not infer anything from it as numbers quoted in such a fashion are essentially meaningless (42, anyone?).

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Panos/Release notes say:

- Support for building with Xcode 11.1 and the iOS 13.1 SDK has been added.

OK so we are behind Apple, which is probably a good thing, since they appear to innovating so fast without testing…. so we don't want to enter their "public beta wrestling ring"  but

They have pushed out Xcode 11.2.1 on the App Store

and this page

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/

I can't find a link to Xcode 11.1

Do you have one? and to command line tools we may need also?

I was forced to upgrade to Catalina (Adobe issues….)

This page on the dev forum is not looking good

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/124010

Hold on… found a "not an Apple website"  trying it now, ( but they do link to Apple for the app packages)

https://xcodereleases.com/

BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
BR,

to download Xcode 11.1 login into your Developer Account.
Then on the left pane select 'Downloads'
On the next page click on 'More' (it´s on the top of the page above the 'Sign Out' link.
On the next page enter xcode 11.1 in the search field and you should be able to download it.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe

free tools for Livecoders:
InstaMaker <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
WinSignMaker Mac <https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de/>

> Am 27.11.2019 um 18:52 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Panos/Release notes say:
>
> - Support for building with Xcode 11.1 and the iOS 13.1 SDK has been added.
>
> OK so we are behind Apple, which is probably a good thing, since they appear to innovating so fast without testing…. so we don't want to enter their "public beta wrestling ring"  but
>
> They have pushed out Xcode 11.2.1 on the App Store
>
> and this page
>
> https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ <https://developer.apple.com/download/more/>
>
> I can't find a link to Xcode 11.1
>
> Do you have one? and to command line tools we may need also?
>
> I was forced to upgrade to Catalina (Adobe issues….)
>
> This page on the dev forum is not looking good
>
> https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/124010
>
> Hold on… found a "not an Apple website"  trying it now, ( but they do link to Apple for the app packages)
>
> https://xcodereleases.com/
>
> BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hello all,
Just saw this, and I am AFK now, but I would avoid downloading Xcode from
non-Apple websites.

What Matthias said, it should be there.

I will check tomorrow first thing.

Cheers,
Panos

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019, 20:30 Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> BR,
>
> to download Xcode 11.1 login into your Developer Account.
> Then on the left pane select 'Downloads'
> On the next page click on 'More' (it´s on the top of the page above the
> 'Sign Out' link.
> On the next page enter xcode 11.1 in the search field and you should be
> able to download it.
>
> Matthias
>
> Matthias Rebbe
>
> free tools for Livecoders:
> InstaMaker <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
> WinSignMaker Mac <https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de/>
>
> > Am 27.11.2019 um 18:52 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:
> [hidden email]>>:
> >
> > Panos/Release notes say:
> >
> > - Support for building with Xcode 11.1 and the iOS 13.1 SDK has been
> added.
> >
> > OK so we are behind Apple, which is probably a good thing, since they
> appear to innovating so fast without testing…. so we don't want to enter
> their "public beta wrestling ring"  but
> >
> > They have pushed out Xcode 11.2.1 on the App Store
> >
> > and this page
> >
> > https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ <
> https://developer.apple.com/download/more/>
> >
> > I can't find a link to Xcode 11.1
> >
> > Do you have one? and to command line tools we may need also?
> >
> > I was forced to upgrade to Catalina (Adobe issues….)
> >
> > This page on the dev forum is not looking good
> >
> > https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/124010
> >
> > Hold on… found a "not an Apple website"  trying it now, ( but they do
> link to Apple for the app packages)
> >
> > https://xcodereleases.com/
> >
> > BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Just the other day I copied an Xcode package from another computer via airdrop and it wouldn’t even install/extract.  It complained that it wasn’t from Apple.

Thanks,
Brian
On Nov 27, 2019, 4:05 PM -0500, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hello all,
> Just saw this, and I am AFK now, but I would avoid downloading Xcode from
> non-Apple websites.
>
> What Matthias said, it should be there.
>
> I will check tomorrow first thing.
>
> Cheers,
> Panos
>
> On Wed, Nov 27, 2019, 20:30 Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > BR,
> >
> > to download Xcode 11.1 login into your Developer Account.
> > Then on the left pane select 'Downloads'
> > On the next page click on 'More' (it´s on the top of the page above the
> > 'Sign Out' link.
> > On the next page enter xcode 11.1 in the search field and you should be
> > able to download it.
> >
> > Matthias
> >
> > Matthias Rebbe
> >
> > free tools for Livecoders:
> > InstaMaker <https://instamaker.dermattes.de/>
> > WinSignMaker Mac <https://winsignhelper.dermattes.de/>
> >
> > > Am 27.11.2019 um 18:52 schrieb Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via
> > use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:
> > [hidden email]>>:
> > >
> > > Panos/Release notes say:
> > >
> > > - Support for building with Xcode 11.1 and the iOS 13.1 SDK has been
> > added.
> > >
> > > OK so we are behind Apple, which is probably a good thing, since they
> > appear to innovating so fast without testing…. so we don't want to enter
> > their "public beta wrestling ring" but
> > >
> > > They have pushed out Xcode 11.2.1 on the App Store
> > >
> > > and this page
> > >
> > > https://developer.apple.com/download/more/ <
> > https://developer.apple.com/download/more/>
> > >
> > > I can't find a link to Xcode 11.1
> > >
> > > Do you have one? and to command line tools we may need also?
> > >
> > > I was forced to upgrade to Catalina (Adobe issues….)
> > >
> > > This page on the dev forum is not looking good
> > >
> > > https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/124010
> > >
> > > Hold on… found a "not an Apple website" trying it now, ( but they do
> > link to Apple for the app packages)
> > >
> > > https://xcodereleases.com/
> > >
> > > BR

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.0 DP-1

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
The web site was getting the links from apple. This does appear to be malicious, but does appear to an earlier build (mod sep 29 or so)

https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_11.1_GM_Seed/Xcode_11.1_GM_Seed.xip

@Matthias -- this is what I get when following your route using "more"

https://download.developer.apple.com/Developer_Tools/Xcode_11.1/Xcode_11.1.xip

in any case, case, my first build I am getting

=============
Your application failed code-signing
check. Check your certificates,
provisioning profiles, and bundles ids.
sigh…

 I can't find on my hard drive Panos' terminal command for checking them out…

I am using the same certs, profiles and bundles ID for the  app I just got approved for the store (1.6) in 9.5 and Xcode 10.1

I try again using the 11.1  not the " Xcode_11.1_GM_Seed.xip" version.

Here we go again on Apple's treadmill.  :-)

BR