[ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.2 RC-2.

Getting the Release
===================
You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
the automatic updater.

Release Contents
================
LiveCode 9.6.2 RC-2 comes with 5 regression fixes, including:

- Opening Color Picker from modal window no longer causes LC to freeze
- MacOS Big Sur: fixed display error when switching between card or showing
a group
- Fix long pause after closing modal dialog on macOS

For the full list of all fixes, updates and enhancements please see the
release notes:
http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_6_2/LiveCodeNotes-9_6_2_rc_2.pdf

Known issues
============
- The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with
Cinnamon window manager.
- The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS
yet.

Required Software
=================
To build iOS apps with LiveCode you must have the appropriate versions of
Xcode as follows:

  - macOS 10.13.4: Xcode 10.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 12.1
SDK
  - macOS 10.14.4: Xcode 11.3.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
13.2 SDK
  - macOS 10.15.4+: Xcode 12.1.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
14.1 SDK

There is a full list of working LiveCode/macOS/Xcode combinations here:
https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/

Note: Whilst we endeavour to release updated versions of LiveCode
supporting the latest Xcode/iOS SDKs as quickly as possible; we strongly
recommend disabling automatic update of Xcode or downloading the specific
version of Xcode required directly from the Apple developer portal and
installing it separately.

Important: From the end of June 2020, Apple is only accepting apps built
using iOS13 SDKs. This means that, if you wish to submit apps to the
AppStore you will have to be running at least macOS 10.14 in order to be
able to install the necessary version of Xcode.

Feedback
========
Please report any bugs encountered on our quality center at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

Have fun!
The LiveCode Team

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hi Panos,

Is there a potential ETA for M1 support?

Best
Andre

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 09:13, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 9.6.2 RC-2.
>

> Getting the Release
> ===================
> You can get the release at https://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/ or via
> the automatic updater.
>

> Release Contents
> ================
> LiveCode 9.6.2 RC-2 comes with 5 regression fixes, including:
>
> - Opening Color Picker from modal window no longer causes LC to freeze
> - MacOS Big Sur: fixed display error when switching between card or showing
> a group
> - Fix long pause after closing modal dialog on macOS
>
> For the full list of all fixes, updates and enhancements please see the
> release notes:
> http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/9_6_2/LiveCodeNotes-9_6_2_rc_2.pdf
>

> Known issues
> ============
> - The Browser widget's native layer is not shown in some Linux distros with
> Cinnamon window manager.
> - The use of the Browser widget is not supported on Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit LTS
> yet.
>

> Required Software
> =================
> To build iOS apps with LiveCode you must have the appropriate versions of
> Xcode as follows:
>
>   - macOS 10.13.4: Xcode 10.1 - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS 12.1
> SDK
>   - macOS 10.14.4: Xcode 11.3.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
> 13.2 SDK
>   - macOS 10.15.4+: Xcode 12.1.x - LiveCode builds iOS apps using the iOS
> 14.1 SDK
>
> There is a full list of working LiveCode/macOS/Xcode combinations here:
> https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
>
> Note: Whilst we endeavour to release updated versions of LiveCode
> supporting the latest Xcode/iOS SDKs as quickly as possible; we strongly
> recommend disabling automatic update of Xcode or downloading the specific
> version of Xcode required directly from the Apple developer portal and
> installing it separately.
>
> Important: From the end of June 2020, Apple is only accepting apps built
> using iOS13 SDKs. This means that, if you wish to submit apps to the
> AppStore you will have to be running at least macOS 10.14 in order to be
> able to install the necessary version of Xcode.
>

> Feedback
> ========
> Please report any bugs encountered on our quality center at
> http://quality.livecode.com/
>
> We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93
>

> Have fun!
> The LiveCode Team

https://www.andregarzia.com <http://www.andregarzia.com>
Want to support me? Buy me a coffee at https://ko-fi.com/andregarzia

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Hello Andre,

The current x86_64 (i.e. Intel-based) build of LiveCode, as well as any
x86_64 standalones created by it, are expected to run seamlessly on M1
Macs, via "Rosetta" (i.e. the translation/compatibility layer that enables
a M1 Mac to run apps built for an Intel-based Mac). The M1 Mac will ask you
if you want to install Rosetta the first time you try to launch an app made
for Intel.

What is not supported though, yet, are native ARM LiveCode builds, that
will be able to create ARM standalones for M1 Macs. This is in our TODO
list, but I cannot provide an ETA for this.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Panos
--

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 at 16:12, Andre Garzia via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > https://livecode.com/docs/9-5-0/faq/faq/
> >
> > Note: Whilst we endeavour to release updated versions of LiveCode
> > supporting the latest Xcode/iOS SDKs as quickly as possible; we strongly
> > recommend disabling automatic update of Xcode or downloading the specific
> > version of Xcode required directly from the Apple developer portal and
> > installing it separately.
> >
> > Important: From the end of June 2020, Apple is only accepting apps built
> > using iOS13 SDKs. This means that, if you wish to submit apps to the
> > AppStore you will have to be running at least macOS 10.14 in order to be
> > able to install the necessary version of Xcode.
> >

> > Feedback
> > ========
> > Please report any bugs encountered on our quality center at
> > http://quality.livecode.com/
> >
> > We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at

Up until the time Apple decides everything has to be M1, at which support for Rosetta is withdrawn. The question is, how long do Intel apps have to live? Deja Vu all over again. (see what I did there?)

Bob S

Bob Sneidar wrote:

 > Up until the time Apple decides everything has to be M1, at which
 > support for Rosetta is withdrawn. The question is, how long do Intel
 > apps have to live? Deja Vu all over again. (see what I did there?)

We've been here before...

68k -> PPC
Classic -> OS X
PPC -> Intel
32-bit -> 64-bit

Adding:
Intel -> M1
...is just another day in Appleland.

The engine has been carried forward well through all those changes, I'm
not worried about this latest one.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I have gone through this too . The most difficult was the change of OS. Also, Apple had not ported MPW to the PPC, which led to the success of Metrowerks  CodeWarrior.
I stil have a compiler by them for BeOs on PPC.
This does not really make me feel younger.
Le 12 janv. 2021 à 19:13 +0100, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, a écrit :

> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>
> > Up until the time Apple decides everything has to be M1, at which
> > support for Rosetta is withdrawn. The question is, how long do Intel
> > apps have to live? Deja Vu all over again. (see what I did there?)
>
> We've been here before...
>
> 68k -> PPC
> Classic -> OS X
> PPC -> Intel
> 32-bit -> 64-bit
>
> Adding:
> Intel -> M1
> ...is just another day in Appleland.
>
> The engine has been carried forward well through all those changes, I'm
> not worried about this latest one.
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Talking about how old we feel, when I first began with computers, we were using CP/M.

Bob S

On Jan 12, 2021, at 10:32 AM, chaplais via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I have gone through this too . The most difficult was the change of OS. Also, Apple had not ported MPW to the PPC, which led to the success of Metrowerks  CodeWarrior.
I stil have a compiler by them for BeOs on PPC.
This does not really make me feel younger.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I’ve no worries with LC. My concern is all the other apps I bought which the devs don’t port. <sigh>

Bob S

> On Jan 12, 2021, at 10:32 AM, chaplais via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have gone through this too . The most difficult was the change of OS. Also, Apple had not ported MPW to the PPC, which led to the success of Metrowerks  CodeWarrior.
> I stil have a compiler by them for BeOs on PPC.
> This does not really make me feel younger.
> Le 12 janv. 2021 à 19:13 +0100, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, a écrit :
>> Bob Sneidar wrote:
>>
>>> Up until the time Apple decides everything has to be M1, at which
>>> support for Rosetta is withdrawn. The question is, how long do Intel
>>> apps have to live? Deja Vu all over again. (see what I did there?)
>>
>> We've been here before...
>>
>> 68k -> PPC
>> Classic -> OS X
>> PPC -> Intel
>> 32-bit -> 64-bit
>>
>> Adding:
>> Intel -> M1
>> ...is just another day in Appleland.
>>
>> The engine has been carried forward well through all those changes, I'm
>> not worried about this latest one.
>>
>> --
>> Richard Gaskin
>> Fourth World Systems
>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I am afraid i am at a crossroads now.
Unfortunately prices for Mac hardware increased over the years. I will definitely not buy a M1 Mac.
I will use my iMac as long as i get updates for macOS and will then switch back completely to Windows.
Most of the software  i am using is available for macOS and Windows. Okay Ulysses is one of the programs i will be definitely missing when going back to Windows.
But i am sure i will find an alternative. Maybe Obsidian, currently not as good as Ulysses, but i'll see.

-
Matthias Rebbe

> Am 12.01.2021 um 23:29 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> I’ve no worries with LC. My concern is all the other apps I bought which the devs don’t port. <sigh>
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Jan 12, 2021, at 10:32 AM, chaplais via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have gone through this too . The most difficult was the change of OS. Also, Apple had not ported MPW to the PPC, which led to the success of Metrowerks  CodeWarrior.
>> I stil have a compiler by them for BeOs on PPC.
>> This does not really make me feel younger.

>>> We've been here before...
>>>
>>> 68k -> PPC
>>> Classic -> OS X
>>> PPC -> Intel
>>> 32-bit -> 64-bit
>>>
>>> Adding:
>>> Intel -> M1
>>> ...is just another day in Appleland.
>>>
>>> The engine has been carried forward well through all those changes, I'm
>>> not worried about this latest one.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard Gaskin
>>> Fourth World Systems
>>> Software Design and Development for the Desktop, Mobile, and the Web

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I look forward to the day I can transition to an ARM based Mac. Those puppies are amazingly fast and it’s unlikely Windows machines will be competitive at the same price point. But … I’ll be using my Mac Book Air for years to come, it’s only 6 years old.

Kee

> On Jan 12, 2021, at 2:47 PM, matthias rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am afraid i am at a crossroads now.
> Unfortunately prices for Mac hardware increased over the years. I will definitely not buy a M1 Mac.
> I will use my iMac as long as i get updates for macOS and will then switch back completely to Windows.
> Most of the software  i am using is available for macOS and Windows. Okay Ulysses is one of the programs i will be definitely missing when going back to Windows.
> But i am sure i will find an alternative. Maybe Obsidian, currently not as good as Ulysses, but i'll see.
>
> -
> Matthias Rebbe
>
>> Am 12.01.2021 um 23:29 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I’ve no worries with LC. My concern is all the other apps I bought which the devs don’t port. <sigh>
>>
>> Bob S
>>

>>> On Jan 12, 2021, at 10:32 AM, chaplais via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have gone through this too . The most difficult was the change of OS. Also, Apple had not ported MPW to the PPC, which led to the success of Metrowerks  CodeWarrior.
>>> I stil have a compiler by them for BeOs on PPC.
>>> This does not really make me feel younger.

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
The transition to AS Mac OS will be pretty seamless. XCode flags up most of
the code base that needs modding.

Where it might fall over for us is if we use old widgets that won't get
updated for any potential MacOS code deprecations.

But LC, I'm sure, will keep up-to-date (ish) as we see already. LC probably
performs better than the previous Intel Mac equivalent on the newer
machines.

Sean Cole
*Pi *

Richard Gaskin wrote:

> We've been here before...
>
> 68k -> PPC
> Classic -> OS X
> PPC -> Intel
> 32-bit -> 64-bit

More form memory-land:

Yesterday I downloaded SuperCard 4.8.1 Trail wich still is maintained.

I was able to convert some 30 years old SC stacks so they could run again (at least for 30 days).

It look exactly like when I left it for Revolution and Livecode.

Richard, you might be the first person I ever emailed to, back then when we had telephone modems (krrrryyyyyzzzzqqqq)

Michael

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
I paid for the Windows version of SuperCard that was advertised in MacUser for some considerable time in the ?mid 90s.  I waited, and waited, and waited….

> On 13 Jan 2021, at 8:00 pm, Michael Kristensen via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>
>> We've been here before...
>>
>> 68k -> PPC
>> Classic -> OS X
>> PPC -> Intel
>> 32-bit -> 64-bit
>

> More form memory-land:
>
> Yesterday I downloaded SuperCard 4.8.1 Trail wich still is maintained.
>
> I was able to convert some 30 years old SC stacks so they could run again (at least for 30 days).
>
> It look exactly like when I left it for Revolution and Livecode.
>
> Richard, you might be the first person I ever emailed to, back then when we had telephone modems (krrrryyyyyzzzzqqqq)
>
> Michael

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

On 1/14/2021 5:53 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> I paid for the Windows version of SuperCard that was advertised in MacUser for some considerable time in the ?mid 90s.  I waited, and waited, and waited….

Me too!

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Gawd… now that you mention it, I did too!

Bob S

On Jan 14, 2021, at 2:53 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I paid for the Windows version of SuperCard that was advertised in MacUser for some considerable time in the ?mid 90s.  I waited, and waited, and waited….

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
Supercard is no longer very super (remember playing around with it in 1994)
as it is 32-bit MacOS only.

Richmond.

On 14.01.21 12:53, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:

> I paid for the Windows version of SuperCard that was advertised in MacUser for some considerable time in the ?mid 90s.  I waited, and waited, and waited….
>
>> On 13 Jan 2021, at 8:00 pm, Michael Kristensen via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>>> We've been here before...
>>>
>>> 68k -> PPC
>>> Classic -> OS X
>>> PPC -> Intel
>>> 32-bit -> 64-bit
>>
>> More form memory-land:
>>
>> Yesterday I downloaded SuperCard 4.8.1 Trail wich still is maintained.
>>
>> I was able to convert some 30 years old SC stacks so they could run again (at least for 30 days).
>>
>> It look exactly like when I left it for Revolution and Livecode.
>>
>> Richard, you might be the first person I ever emailed to, back then when we had telephone modems (krrrryyyyyzzzzqqqq)
>>
>> Michael

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Michael Kristensen wrote:

 > Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >
 >> We've been here before...
 >>
 >> 68k -> PPC
 >> Classic -> OS X
 >> PPC -> Intel
 >> 32-bit -> 64-bit
 >
 >
 > More form memory-land:
 >
 > Yesterday I downloaded SuperCard 4.8.1 Trail wich still is maintained.
 >
 > I was able to convert some 30 years old SC stacks so they could run
 > again (at least for 30 days).
 >
 > It look exactly like when I left it for Revolution and Livecode.
 >
 > Richard, you might be the first person I ever emailed to, back then
 > when we had telephone modems (krrrryyyyyzzzzqqqq)

Thank you for reminding me.  I still have a few emails from the old SC
list. I just did a dive into that archive and found fragments of a
thread between you and me and Grant Schampel (I sure do miss that man).

Kinda cool how paths cross and cross again, bound together over decades
through the bond of sharing scripting.

And FWIW "krrrryyyyyzzzzqqqq" might just be the best spelled-out form of
the modem connect sound I've seen. :)

Re: [ANN] Release 9.6.2 RC-2

Mark Wieder via use-livecode
michael mentioned,

> Yesterday I downloaded SuperCard 4.8.1 Trail wich still is maintained.

I still have my SuperCard 1.5 install disks . . .

I bought it because it could have two windows open at once.

When HyperCard 2.0 came out, it did everything I needed from supercard, but there was no back-export available

So some new things got converted to hypercard, using the basic engine I’d written, but I didn’t feel like writing the script to turn every object in the stack into a text list of its properties and another to create the new hypercard stack.

When I started on this project, yikes, a decade ago now, I did manage to partway navigate the chain to loading the old stacks, but it was an odd dance involving an old MacClassic and reading Mac disks on a freebsd floppy . . . if the scsi Zip drive hadn’t failed, it would;d have been a lot easier to transfer . . .