[ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Jerry Daniels-2
We have posted a video of the Rodeo development environment in action! Sarah Reichelt (co-creator of Rodeo) joins me in the video all the way from Queensland, Australia.

This is a pretty big step for our little team. Here's the link:

   http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-headed-for-pre-release-0

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Create iPad web apps with Rodeo:
http://rodeoapps.com

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Sarah Reichelt-2
On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We have posted a video of the Rodeo development environment in action! Sarah Reichelt (co-creator of Rodeo) joins me in the video all the way from Queensland, Australia.
>
> This is a pretty big step for our little team. Here's the link:
>
>   http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-headed-for-pre-release-0

Jerry is away for a few days, but if anyone has any questions, post
them here or on the Rodeo site and I will do my best to answer.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

J. Landman Gay
Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We have posted a video of the Rodeo development environment in action! Sarah Reichelt (co-creator of Rodeo) joins me in the video all the way from Queensland, Australia.
>>
>> This is a pretty big step for our little team. Here's the link:
>>
>>   http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-headed-for-pre-release-0
>

> Jerry is away for a few days, but if anyone has any questions, post
> them here or on the Rodeo site and I will do my best to answer.

Since it's a third party product, I think the rodeo site would be more
appropriate.

On 29/05/2010, at 1:25 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Jerry Daniels <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> We have posted a video of the Rodeo development environment in action! Sarah Reichelt (co-creator of Rodeo) joins me in the video all the way from Queensland, Australia.
>>>
>>> This is a pretty big step for our little team. Here's the link:
>>>
>>>  http://rodeoapps.com/rodeo-headed-for-pre-release-0
>> Jerry is away for a few days, but if anyone has any questions, post
>> them here or on the Rodeo site and I will do my best to answer.
>
> Since it's a third party product, I think the rodeo site would be more appropriate.

While I agree that the Rodeo site is a better location for such questions, I feel that discussion of an On-Rev based service has it's place here, and is vastly more on-topic than many other recent threads.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

paolomazza
I look forward to use your new  application Rodeo.
Then,  I would love to have a list of the commands that are going to be
included in your application in order to evaluate the possibility of
developing a couple of applications I have in mind for the iPad.

Thanks a lot

Paolo Mazza

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Peter Alcibiades
J. Landman Gay wrote
Since it's a third party product, I think the rodeo site would be more
appropriate.
Yes.

Basically, Rev is turning into (has turned into?  has always been?) a two class product.  There is one class, which can buy the add-ins and thus get access to all kinds of interesting functionality, and where the basic functionality works properly.

There is another class, which has just as much bought licenses, but which gets to buy little or none of this add-on stuff, and in addition gets a basic product that is not fit for professional development purposes.

The list increasingly reflects this fact, with more and more of the discussion being simply irrelevant to licensees of the second class because more and more of it is devoted to addons.  Not that moving this stuff to another list will solve the real problem.  The problem is what functionality one has access to, not where it is dicussed.  It is clear that tRev, Rodeo etc are really core functionalities of the product, so it is quite understandable that people think of it as one thing they are discussing.

The user, given this, has a very simple choice to make at renewal time:  does he or she keep on being treated like this, or does he or she move to Python?

My own answer is, if I don't get some sensible roadmap for this thing, I am not renewing.  As much out of a sense of indignation at how we are being treated, as anything else.  It doesn't have to be instant catchup, it probably cannot be.  It does not have to be instant porting of all add ons, it probably cannot be.  But there has to be some acknowledgment of what is going on, and some published plan to fix it.

Rev is entering dangerous territory here.  It is basically destroying its credibility as a provider of a Linux development environment.  So effectively, its betting its future on one view of the Linux market.  Could work out, but its dangerous.  Risk is not what has happened, after the fact.  Risk is what could happen before it.

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

xtalkprogrammer
I agree, Peter. IMHO this doesn't apply to Linux only. I'm mainly a
Mac user and have found the RunRev IDE to become increasingly
unstable. It should be unnecessary to buy an add-on just to be able to
edit scripts (the current script editor is highly unreliable). All
features in the documentation should work as advertised or the
documentation should make clear that there are problems with specific
features.

If the people at RunRev want us to pay for an (early) update pack (or
for a subscription to future updates) they will have to make a
credible statement about future improvements in basic functionality.
I don't think that RunRev is ready to make such a statement now. Maybe
in a few years.

A roadmap could be nice, but I don't think it helps much. Such a
reoadmap just generates false expectations. I know from experience
that software like RunRev is ready when it works, not when the
deadline has passed. I believe we can only wait until we can get our
hands on the finished product and test it.

Btw. I have no problem with discussing actual (On-)Rev-based third-
party products on this list. It is much more interesting than mere
advertisements for third-party products and lengthy discussions of SDK
license conditions of indirectly related companies ;-)

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Economy-x-Talk is always looking for new projects. Contact me for a
quote http://economy-x-talk.com/contact.html
Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and
share the clipboard of your computer over the local network.

On 31 mei 2010, at 11:33, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

<snip>

> The user, given this, has a very simple choice to make at renewal
> time:
> does he or she keep on being treated like this, or does he or she
> move to
> Python?
>
> My own answer is, if I don't get some sensible roadmap for this
> thing, I am
> not renewing.  As much out of a sense of indignation at how we are
> being
> treated, as anything else.  It doesn't have to be instant catchup, it
> probably cannot be.  It does not have to be instant porting of all
> add ons,
> it probably cannot be.  But there has to be some acknowledgment of
> what is
> going on, and some published plan to fix it.
>
> Rev is entering dangerous territory here.  It is basically
> destroying its
> credibility as a provider of a Linux development environment.  So
> effectively, its betting its future on one view of the Linux
> market.  Could
> work out, but its dangerous.  Risk is not what has happened, after
> the fact.
> Risk is what could happen before it.

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Jerry Daniels-2
Mark, et al.

What you say here makes sense. We'll take Rodeo announcements elsewhere and greatly curtail tRev announcements to major events that might stimulate meaning technical discussion.

>From a technical perspective, the most interesting aspect of Rodeo for Rev users is its use of handlers (called "definitions") as the basic building block of an app...one that can be checked out and locked for a user.

Rev users who want to follow this type of discussion and contribute to it, need only let me in an email and we'll add you to our discussion list. Handler centricity in Revolution has always been one of my passions. What we are doing with definitions could be done in Revolution. If I thought there was a market for it, I'd have done it in tRev or a team version thereof.

Best,

Jerry Daniels

[hidden email]

On May 31, 2010, at 6:31 AM, Mark Schonewille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Btw. I have no problem with discussing actual (On-)Rev-based third-party products on this list. It is much more interesting than mere advertisements for third-party products and lengthy discussions of SDK license conditions of indirectly related companies ;-)

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Michael Kann
Sarah vs. Jacque:

Both of you make our lives so much easier. Literally every time I use RunRev I use something I learned from one of you. So it pains me to have to side with Sarah on this one.

I understand Jacque's wish to segregate the third party add-ons. I don't use any myself, although I like to find out what they are and how people are getting along with them. I really don't want to check on several websites to explore the possibilities. As long as the subject line warns us of the content we can choose what we want. Jack and Sarah get free advertizing, but everyone with a product to sell here seems to do the same thing -- it's just that they aren't so agressive.

Jacque -- if you want to ban all posts pertaining to Steve Jobs' business mojo I'm behind you 100 percent.

Mike

> >> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:58 PM, Jerry Daniels
> <[hidden email]>
> development environment in action! Sarah Reichelt
> (co-creator of Rodeo) joins me in the video all the way from
> Queensland, Australia.

> Here's the link:

> >> Jerry is away for a few days, but if anyone has
> any questions, post
> >> them here or on the Rodeo site and I will do my
> best to answer.
> >
> > Since it's a third party product, I think the rodeo
> site would be more appropriate.
> >

> While I agree that the Rodeo site is a better location for
> such questions, I feel that discussion of an On-Rev based
> service has it's place here, and is vastly more on-topic
> than many other recent threads.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Robert Mann
I like to hear from things on a single list, but Jerry's point makes sense, to keep major annoucement here and keep in touch more "intimately" (!) somewhere else. And wherever it is :

http://wecode.org/planet

allows to keep track of runrev "planets" developpments efficiently (except I don't like the tweets that distract a lot there..).

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Andre Garzia-3
Robert,

I will remove the tweet part or allow it to be accessible thru a menu.

Glad you liked the service, I thought no one used it except me.

:D

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Sarah Reichelt-2
Don't worry about us. Jacque & I have discussed this off-list and
we're still friends :-)

Cheers,
Sarah

Sarah Reichelt wrote:
> Don't worry about us. Jacque & I have discussed this off-list and
> we're still friends :-)

To death do us part! :)

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Jerry Daniels-2
I believe that's "until death do us part."

Best,

Jerry Daniels

Use tRev's buy link during your 7 day free trial to get 20% off:
http://reveditor.com/tag/shouldiswitch

On Jun 4, 2010, at 9:25 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>> Don't worry about us. Jacque & I have discussed this off-list and
>> we're still friends :-)
>
> To death do us part! :)

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

mwieder
Jerry-

Friday, June 4, 2010, 7:33:04 PM, you wrote:

> I believe that's "until death do us part."

Maybe Jacque wants to force the issue. If there are still tickets left
to the smackdown, I'd like to go. Although if it's gonna be televised,
there'll be some serious competition with the World Cup coming up next
week.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Robert Mann
I found it very useful! A good complement to nabble-runrev.  And I beleive it will find more and more audience.

Actually.. like Jerry, maybe from time to time.. one should mention it on Nabble!

One thing that could be interesting is add just a few selected "major" interest discussions from nabble that you and some folks could select. So as to make a kind of "best of" digest.

But i'ts already fine as it stands.. thanks!

Le 4 juin 10 à 22:05, Andre Garzia-3 [via Runtime Revolution] a écrit :

Robert,

I will remove the tweet part or allow it to be accessible thru a menu.

Glad you liked the service, I thought no one used it except me.

:D

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Robert Mann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like to hear from things on a single list, but Jerry's point makes sense,
> to keep major annoucement here and keep in touch more "intimately" (!)
> somewhere else. And wherever it is :
>
> http://wecode.org/planet
>
> allows to keep track of runrev "planets" developpments efficiently (except
> don't like the tweets that distract a lot there..).

http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

View message @ http://runtime-revolution.278305.n4.nabble.com/ANN-Rodeo-IDE-preview-video-tp2234453p2243711.html
To unsubscribe from Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video, click here.

Re: [ANN] Rodeo IDE preview video

Robert Mann
was meant to be a private post, sorry about that.