[ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

Richard Gaskin
The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up on
Thursday, Sept 3 in Pasadena at 7PM.

IMPORTANT: The meeting is being held at our new location, Du-par's
Restaurant, on S. Lake Avenue near Cordova Street:

Du-par's Pasadena, back room
214 S. Lake Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91101
<http://www.du-pars.com/dupars_locations.html>

Meeting details in the forum:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25188>

Trevor DeVore will be joining us that evening, so it should be an
especially good time.

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

Paul Looney-2
Richard,

Will we be discussing Clarence’s database speed improvements?
Do you have a long VGA to VGA cable for the conference room monitor?

Paul Looney

Paul Looney wrote:
> Will we be discussing Clarence’s database speed improvements?

I haven't received Clarence's code, but time permitting after Trevor's
talk I'd love to dive in and see what we can do with it.

> Do you have a long VGA to VGA cable for the conference room monitor?

Even better:  a projection screen is on its way to me now....

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

Peter Haworth
Can't make it to Pasadena but I'd love to see the speed improvement code if
possible.

Peter Haworth wrote:
> Can't make it to Pasadena but I'd love to see the speed improvement code if
> possible.

Clarence's code may not prove a useful case for optimizing others given
the unusual constraints he needs to work within.

But if optimization techniques are your thing, this is perhaps the best
thread on optimization I've seen in our community yet:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24945>

It's five pages long, and better reading that many novels.  Take your
time, it's an enjoyable thread, a story of an algo that originally took
9 minutes getting pared down shorter and shorter on each page from
various members of the community until eventually it's completed in just
a few milliseconds.

I'll go ahead and spoil the ending because it's somewhat predictable:
Dick Kreisel's contribution was the fastest.

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

Dick Kriesel
On Aug 31, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Richard Gaskin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dick Kreisel's contribution was the fastest.

I stood on the shoulders of giants.  You and Bernd provided the breakthroughs in speed.  Thanks for your code and your constructive influence.

Can I come to your SoCal meeting virtually?

Dick Kriesel

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

mwieder
On 08/31/2015 07:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> But if optimization techniques are your thing, this is perhaps the best
> thread on optimization I've seen in our community yet:
> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24945>

...and not just about optimization techniques. This is the best
community effort at problem solving that I've seen yet. Many different
approaches to the same thing, eventually coalescing into a ridiculously
fast algorithm, with some surprising turns along the way. Spoiling the
ending in no way detracts from an enjoyable ride.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Dick Kriesel wrote:
 > On Aug 31, 2015, at 7:36 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> Dick Kreisel's contribution was the fastest.
 >
 > I stood on the shoulders of giants.  You and Bernd provided the
 > breakthroughs in speed.  Thanks for your code and your constructive
 > influence.
 >
 > Can I come to your SoCal meeting virtually?

If by "virtually" you mean "not driving because I took the train" I'd
happily pick you up at Union Station. :)

But if you were thinking more along the lines of a webcast of some sort,
I think our informal meeting structure and the layout and acoustics of
the venue wouldn't lend themselves well to that.  Amidst poor audio the
most striking moment would be when dessert arrives, and you'd become
insanely jealous when you see the excellent selection of pies they serve
up at Du-par's. :)

But if you're ever in the 'hood on the first Thursday of any month we'd
love to have you.

And of course that goes for anyone else on this list, and that includes
picking you up at the train station.  Just let me know in advance.  My
office is only a few minutes from Union Station, and the venue is just a
couple minutes from our local Metro station, so if anyone wants to
arrive via train I'll happily be your solution to the last-mile problem.
We don't have nearly enough trains in California, but the few we have
are pretty nice.

PS: As for virtual meetings, I've been thinking our community might
benefit from monthly online get-togethers vis Google Hangouts, and it
turns out Todd Fabacher has been thinking alone the same lines.  We're
working together to arrive at a schedule that can work for the greatest
number of time zones and our own ongoing commitments, but it looks like
we'll kick this off this month.  More info to come as we work out the
details....

On 08/31/2015 09:29 PM, Dick Kriesel wrote:

> Can I come to your SoCal meeting virtually?

Hmmm. I like that idea. Is there enough bandwidth?
How about if someone sets up a Google+ login?
I'll bring my own beer.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On 08/31/2015 11:08 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> PS: As for virtual meetings, I've been thinking our community might
> benefit from monthly online get-togethers vis Google Hangouts, and it
> turns out Todd Fabacher has been thinking alone the same lines.  We're
> working together to arrive at a schedule that can work for the greatest
> number of time zones and our own ongoing commitments, but it looks like
> we'll kick this off this month.  More info to come as we work out the
> details....

Excellent news.

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Sept 3

Dave Kilroy
I'd certainly be up for a monthly hangout - even if time zones mean I'll need to use matchsticks to keep my eyes open...

Kind regards

Dave
Peter M. Brigham

[ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Oct 1

The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up Thursday,
October 1, at 7PM in Pasadena - details in the forums:

<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25459>

Re: [ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Oct 1

Peter TB Brett
On 2015-09-30 06:23, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up
> Thursday, October 1, at 7PM in Pasadena - details in the forums:
>
> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25459>

If you give me at least a week's warning in future, I'll make sure that
it appears in the "events" section of This Week in LiveCode!

                           Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Open Source Team

LiveCode on reddit! <https://reddit.com/r/livecode>

Peter TB Brett wrote:
> On 2015-09-30 06:23, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up
>> Thursday, October 1, at 7PM in Pasadena - details in the forums:
>>
>> <http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25459>
>
> If you give me at least a week's warning in future, I'll make sure that
> it appears in the "events" section of This Week in LiveCode!

Thanks, Peter.  For several years now our group meets on the first
Thursday of each month.

The only times we've missed a meeting is when the first Thursday
conflicts with a major holiday (sometimes in July for US Independence
Day), or when Pasadena is in a declared state of emergency (happened
once with hurricane-level winds in Dec '11).

Details for each meeting and other local events of interest to the
community are in the SoCal User Group section of the User Groups and
Gatherings forum:
<http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=50>

RSS:
<http://forums.livecode.com/feed.php?f=30>

Our next meeting will be Nov 5.

Note for other user group managers: if you have an ongoing group and
would like a subsection of the User Groups and Gatherings forum just
drop me a note at the address below and I'll set it up for you.

  LiveCode Community Manager

[ANN]SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Nov 5

The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up Thursday,
November 5, at 7PM in Pasadena - details in the forums:

<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25476>

[ANN] SoCal LiveCode Meeting, Dec 3

Richard Gaskin
The next meeting of the SoCal LiveCode User Group is coming up Thursday,
December 3, at 7PM in Pasadena - details in the forums:

<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25836>