[ANN] This Week in LiveCode 78

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi all,

Read about new developments in LiveCode open source and the open source
community in today's edition of the "This Week in LiveCode" newsletter!

        Read issue #78 here: https://goo.gl/s78DY5

This is a weekly newsletter about LiveCode, focussing on what's been
going on in and around the open source project.  New issues will be
released weekly on Mondays.  We have a dedicated mailing list that will
deliver each issue directly to you e-mail, so you don't miss any!

If you have anything you'd like mentioned (a project, a discussion
somewhere, an upcoming event) then please get in touch.

--
Panagiotis Merakos <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Software Developer

Everyone Can Create Apps <https://livecode.com>

Re: [ANN] This Week in LiveCode 78

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Thank you, Panos.

This item was particularly interesting:

    Add a new script library implementing unified diff generation and
    patch application: Expected in LiveCode 9.0 DP-7
    <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5288>

It wasn't immediately clear to me from the notes in that PR what that
does, but the description sounds enticing.

Can you offer a little background on that?

On 10/04/2017 16:10, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Thank you, Panos.
>
> This item was particularly interesting:
>
>    Add a new script library implementing unified diff generation and
>    patch application: Expected in LiveCode 9.0 DP-7
>    <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5288>
>
> It wasn't immediately clear to me from the notes in that PR what that
> does, but the description sounds enticing.
>
> Can you offer a little background on that?

It's exactly what it says on the tin: a library that implements an
algorithm for finding a minimal line-based edit script between two input
texts, along with the ability to turn that into a unified diff.

Go have a look at the source code, which contains inline documentation:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/extensions/script-libraries/diff/diff.livecodescript

You could also have a look at the tests:
https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/extensions/script-libraries/diff/test

Its development was sponsored by David Simpson.  Check out FMProMigrator. :)

                                   Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Peter TB Brett wrote:

 > On 10/04/2017 16:10, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
 >> Thank you, Panos.
 >>
 >> This item was particularly interesting:
 >>
 >>    Add a new script library implementing unified diff generation and
 >>    patch application: Expected in LiveCode 9.0 DP-7
 >>    <https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/5288>
 >>
 >> It wasn't immediately clear to me from the notes in that PR what that
 >> does, but the description sounds enticing.
 >>
 >> Can you offer a little background on that?
 >
 > It's exactly what it says on the tin: a library that implements an
 > algorithm for finding a minimal line-based edit script between two
 > input texts, along with the ability to turn that into a unified diff.
 >
 > Go have a look at the source code, which contains inline
 > documentation:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/extensions/script-libraries/diff/diff.livecodescript

 > You could also have a look at the tests:

https://github.com/livecode/livecode/blob/develop/extensions/script-libraries/diff/test

 > Its development was sponsored by David Simpson.

Thanks, Peter.  These things may seem obvious to you, but it seemed a
bit of an edge-case feature vis a vis others in the queue, so the
background you provided is very helpful.

And thanks, David.