Quantcast

[ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

[ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

zryip theSlug
Dear LiveCode Users,

We are working on a new Library capable to read / write / update xlsx
files without the help of MS Excel.
The Library is dealing natively with LiveCode (and the help of revXML
and revZip) with the Office Open XML format.

We are actually in alpha version and we have prepared a small
application for validating our capability to generate xlsx files
readable by every solution capable of opening an xlsx file: MS Excel
standalone or online, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc

For extending our tests to different environments and applications we
are looking for some testers ready to help:
- by playing with our "Salestore report generator" application. Few
clicks are required for preparing the report + 30 secs to 1 minute,
the time for the Lib to create a report of about 700 lines * 8 columns
with styles and formulae.
- opening the generated xlsx file with the solution they have.
- reporting the result of their tests by dropping me a small note.

We have prepared different versions of our test application: linux,
mac and windows.
All the versions are available by following this link:
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/9-salestore-report-generator-xlsx-lib-test

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best Regards,
--
Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

Roger Eller
Zyrip,

The report looks similar in Excel 2010 (Win), and Libre Office 4.3 (Mac).
Mac Preview didn't render any of the totals.

I had to reduce the font size in Libre Office to have a similar appearance,
otherwise the totals were shown as ####.
There was one difference
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54789013/differences.png> in cell
content.
And lastly, the sample executable should either show progress, or use a
busy cursor when generating the report.

VERY NICELY DONE!!  This library could be quite useful in business apps!

~Roger

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM, zryip theSlug <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear LiveCode Users,
>
> We are working on a new Library capable to read / write / update xlsx
> files without the help of MS Excel.
> The Library is dealing natively with LiveCode (and the help of revXML
> and revZip) with the Office Open XML format.
>
> We are actually in alpha version and we have prepared a small
> application for validating our capability to generate xlsx files
> readable by every solution capable of opening an xlsx file: MS Excel
> standalone or online, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc
>
> For extending our tests to different environments and applications we
> are looking for some testers ready to help:
> - by playing with our "Salestore report generator" application. Few
> clicks are required for preparing the report + 30 secs to 1 minute,
> the time for the Lib to create a report of about 700 lines * 8 columns
> with styles and formulae.
> - opening the generated xlsx file with the solution they have.
> - reporting the result of their tests by dropping me a small note.
>
> We have prepared different versions of our test application: linux,
> mac and windows.
> All the versions are available by following this link:
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/9-salestore-
> report-generator-xlsx-lib-test
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> Best Regards,
> --
> Zryip TheSlug
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

zryip theSlug
Roger,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. In my experience, the #### is due to the column width. When the
column is not large enough to display the content, instead of
truncating the number, the #### are displayed. The app sample is only
resizing the first column. I can apply a resize to the others columns.
2. Will have a look to the difference in cell content with Libre
Office. Thanks for the screenshot.
3. Will probably add a callback message inside XLSX_Range_Values_Set
and XLSX_Range_Styles_Set, to help inform about processing large data.

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words and for the tests!

Best Regards,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:33 PM, Roger Eller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Zyrip,
>
> The report looks similar in Excel 2010 (Win), and Libre Office 4.3 (Mac).
> Mac Preview didn't render any of the totals.
>
> I had to reduce the font size in Libre Office to have a similar appearance,
> otherwise the totals were shown as ####.
> There was one difference
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54789013/differences.png> in cell
> content.
> And lastly, the sample executable should either show progress, or use a
> busy cursor when generating the report.
>
> VERY NICELY DONE!!  This library could be quite useful in business apps!
>
> ~Roger
>

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM, zryip theSlug <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear LiveCode Users,
>>
>> We are working on a new Library capable to read / write / update xlsx
>> files without the help of MS Excel.
>> The Library is dealing natively with LiveCode (and the help of revXML
>> and revZip) with the Office Open XML format.
>>
>> We are actually in alpha version and we have prepared a small
>> application for validating our capability to generate xlsx files
>> readable by every solution capable of opening an xlsx file: MS Excel
>> standalone or online, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc
>>
>> For extending our tests to different environments and applications we
>> are looking for some testers ready to help:
>> - by playing with our "Salestore report generator" application. Few
>> clicks are required for preparing the report + 30 secs to 1 minute,
>> the time for the Lib to create a report of about 700 lines * 8 columns
>> with styles and formulae.
>> - opening the generated xlsx file with the solution they have.
>> - reporting the result of their tests by dropping me a small note.
>>
>> We have prepared different versions of our test application: linux,
>> mac and windows.
>> All the versions are available by following this link:
>> http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/9-salestore-
>> report-generator-xlsx-lib-test
>>

>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

>> Best Regards,
>> --
>> Zryip TheSlug
>> http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

Skip Kimpel
You know I am all in... I believe in the your products, Mr. Slug!

SKIP

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'll give it a go later.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Nov 30, 2016, at 15:36 , zryip theSlug <[hidden email]<mailto:
> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Dear LiveCode Users,
>
> We are working on a new Library capable to read / write / update xlsx
> files without the help of MS Excel.
> The Library is dealing natively with LiveCode (and the help of revXML
> and revZip) with the Office Open XML format.

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

zryip theSlug
Dear LiveCode Users,

Last week some of you tested the capability of our XLSX library to
write a xlsx file readable by the existing apps and solutions
compatible with xlsx.

Thanks for all your positives feedbacks.

Today we are going far ahead with a more ambitious step by trying to
open your existing xlsx files with XLSX Library.

You can download the small application we created for helping in this
validation task:
http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/10-workbook-viewer

Don't forget to read the notes we prepared for describing some
important concepts and how you can help by sending me the potential
errors each XLSX commands is capable to display.

Keep in mind this is just an alpha version. Even if nothing wrong
should happen, try to open only copies of your original files.

As our intention is not to bore the List with our tests, leave me a
comment or a private note in case you want to help with the coming
test: updating existing xlsx files. That way, I could notify you by a
direct email when we will have something ready to try.

I'm waiting for your feedbacks.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
--
Zryip TheSlug
http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Hello Zryip,

Worked flawlessly on my old Excel for Mac 2011. Looking forward to the final version because I may have some applications for it.

Regards,

Bruce Pokras
Blazing Dawn Software
www.blazingdawn.com <http://www.blazingdawn.com/>

> On Nov 30, 2016, at 6:36 PM, zryip theSlug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear LiveCode Users,
>
> We are working on a new Library capable to read / write / update xlsx
> files without the help of MS Excel.
> The Library is dealing natively with LiveCode (and the help of revXML
> and revZip) with the Office Open XML format.
>
> We are actually in alpha version and we have prepared a small
> application for validating our capability to generate xlsx files
> readable by every solution capable of opening an xlsx file: MS Excel
> standalone or online, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, Google Sheets, etc
>
> For extending our tests to different environments and applications we
> are looking for some testers ready to help:
> - by playing with our "Salestore report generator" application. Few
> clicks are required for preparing the report + 30 secs to 1 minute,
> the time for the Lib to create a report of about 700 lines * 8 columns
> with styles and formulae.
> - opening the generated xlsx file with the solution they have.
> - reporting the result of their tests by dropping me a small note.
>
> We have prepared different versions of our test application: linux,
> mac and windows.
> All the versions are available by following this link:
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com/download/category/9-salestore-report-generator-xlsx-lib-test
>

> Thanks in advance for any help.
>

> Best Regards,
> --
> Zryip TheSlug
> http://www.aslugontheroad.com

Re: [ANN] XLSX Library ready for a test - Looking for testers

Mark Talluto via use-livecode
Interestingly enough when I tried this out on my plastic iMac running
Mac OS 10.7.5 it exported the
.xlsx document, but when I attempted to open it with Excel 2011 I got this:

"Excel could not open myReport.xlsx because some content is unreadable.
Do you want to open and repair this workbook?

"If Excel cannot repair the file, some data may be lost."

I clicked on 'Open and Repair' and got this:

<recoveryLog
xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logFileName>Repair
Result to myReport 05341.xml</logFileName><summary>Errors were detected
in file
'HOME:Users:richmondmathewson:Desktop:myReport.xlsx'</summary><removedRecords
summary="Following is a list of removed records:"><removedRecord>Removed
Records: Merge cells from
/xl/worksheets/sheet1.xml</removedRecord></removedRecords></recoveryLog>

I changed some of the data . . .

Richmond.