[ANN] a gauge widget

BNig
further experimenting with Livecode Builder I did a Gauge widget that I posted in the Forum

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
This is really cool Bernd :)

On 06/09/2017 02:43 AM, BNig via use-livecode wrote:
> further experimenting with Livecode Builder I did a Gauge widget that I
> posted in the Forum

That is *very* cool. And thanks - you just saved me a bunch of time.
I've been trying to wrap my head around how to make one of these and now
I don't have to. Gonna have fun with this today.

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Bernd,
thanks for that cool widget. What i noticed is that the widget has a general icon showing the text widget. Is there a way to add a custom icon? Would be much easier to recognise it when several widgets with general icons are installed.

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 09.06.2017 um 18:13 schrieb Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 06/09/2017 02:43 AM, BNig via use-livecode wrote:
>> further experimenting with Livecode Builder I did a Gauge widget that I
>> posted in the Forum
>
> That is *very* cool. And thanks - you just saved me a bunch of time. I've been trying to wrap my head around how to make one of these and now I don't have to. Gonna have fun with this today.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Bernd's stuff is always so amazing. Very cool.

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thanks everybody for their kind words.

Livecode Builder takes a while to get into but then it is actually fun.

And you can do things that are not possible in Livecode Script

Matthias Rebbe wrote:

What i noticed is that the widget has a general
icon showing the text widget. Is there a way to add a custom icon? Would be
much easier to recognise it when several widgets with general icons are
installed.

I will add a SVG icon in the next version.

On 06/09/2017 09:49 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Bernd,
> thanks for that cool widget. What i noticed is that the widget has a general icon showing the text widget. Is there a way to add a custom icon? Would be much easier to recognise it when several widgets with general icons are installed.

It shows up nicely in the latest PowerTools build, now available for
updating.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=29348&p=154761#p154761

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Bernd,
thanks. Believe me, i would do it for installation by myself if i would know how to do it.;)

Another thing i noticed is that i cannot save the stack when the widget is placed onto the stack.
I get the following error message:
“Can´t save stack … due to an error: Error writing stack (disk full?)"

I have over 2 TB space left on the disk and i have no problems with any other widget. Just with yours. Is there something i am missing?

Regards,
Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 09.06.2017 um 19:52 schrieb Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Thanks everybody for their kind words.
>
> Livecode Builder takes a while to get into but then it is actually fun.
>
> And you can do things that are not possible in Livecode Script
>

> Matthias Rebbe wrote:
>
> What i noticed is that the widget has a general
> icon showing the text widget. Is there a way to add a custom icon? Would be
> much easier to recognise it when several widgets with general icons are
> installed.
>

> I will add a SVG icon in the next version.
>
> Kind regards
> Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
This looks exciting, if only I knew how to install it . . .

Richmond.

On 2017-06-09 20:02, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> Another thing i noticed is that i cannot save the stack when the
> widget is placed onto the stack.
> I get the following error message:
> “Can´t save stack … due to an error: Error writing stack (disk full?)"

That means that the OnSave handler in Bernd's widget is throwing an
error in this case I think. What version of LiveCode are you trying the
widget in?

The '?' at the end of the error message is important here - it is a
suggestion that it *might* be that, but all the save methods in the
engine only return a binary state IO_ERROR, or IO_NORMAL -  so by the
time things unwind back up to where the error can be reported, it can
only say it failed.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

On 2017-06-09 20:02, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:

Another thing i noticed is that i cannot save the stack when the
widget is placed onto the stack.
I get the following error message:
“Can´t save stack … due to an error: Error writing stack (disk full?)"

That means that the OnSave handler in Bernd's widget is throwing an error in this case I think. What version of LiveCode are you trying the widget in?

The '?' at the end of the error message is important here - it is a suggestion that it *might* be that, but all the save methods in the engine only return a binary state IO_ERROR, or IO_NORMAL - so by the time things unwind back up to where the error can be reported, it can only say it failed.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email]<http://livecode.com> ~ http://www.livecode.com/
LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Apologies, I did not try to save a stack with the widget. Should have done that, I see the same error in DP6 and 8.1.4 and 8.1.2

But I can not find what I did wrong in onSave. Still searching.

On 2017-06-09 20:46, Niggemann, Bernd via use-livecode wrote:
> But I can not find what I did wrong in onSave. Still searching.

Check that all the vars which are saved into the props array have been
assigned, and that the getRadiusAndCenterPoint() can't throw an error in
that case.

I can't see anything wrong with your code either. File a bug if you
don't get very far and I'll take a look on Monday to see what's going on
in the engine :)

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Slow learner:

https://livecode.com/app-in-a-day/livecode/installing-extensions/

On 6/9/17 9:21 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> This looks exciting, if only I knew how to install it . . .
>
> Richmond.
>
> On 6/9/17 12:43 pm, BNig via use-livecode wrote:
>> further experimenting with Livecode Builder I did a Gauge widget that I
>> posted in the Forum
>>
>> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=29348
>>

>> Kind regards
>> Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Bernd,
The problem with your OnSave / OnLoad handlers are that Point and Color are
types defined in the canvas module that the array-saving code does not know
about. These need to be converted to a core type, eg string or list.

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:52 PM Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Slow learner:
>
> https://livecode.com/app-in-a-day/livecode/installing-extensions/
>
> On 6/9/17 9:21 pm, Richmond Mathewson wrote:
> > This looks exciting, if only I knew how to install it . . .
> >
> > Richmond.
> >
> > On 6/9/17 12:43 pm, BNig via use-livecode wrote:
> >> further experimenting with Livecode Builder I did a Gauge widget that I
> >> posted in the Forum
> >>
> >> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=29348
> >>

> >> Kind regards
> >> Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
> Check that all the vars which are saved into the props array have been
> assigned, and that the getRadiusAndCenterPoint() can't throw an error in
> that case.

thanks Mark for looking into this.

The problem was that onSave did not appreciate saving a variable of type Color, I had to do string conversions. Then it works.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

BNig
Thanks Tom,

I had just found out what the problem was,

Now it works as advertised.

will update the .lcb file in the forum to version 0.2.0

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
The problem with saving has been solved and a new version of the Gauge widget has been uploaded to the edited first post.

http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=29348&p=154750

this version also adds a SVG icon to the widget.

Thanks everyone for your interest and hints.

Should have tested before posting of course, sorry.

Kind regards
Bernd

Re: [ANN] a gauge widget

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Re:
I get the following error message:
?Can?t save stack ? due to an error: Error writing stack (disk full?)”

I had this issue a while back and Ali set me right<http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=27929>:

“You can’t serialise a non-primitive type in your OnSave code. If you try to put a canvas type (for example Color) in the properties array, there will be issues when saving. You need to convert to String beforehand.”

Hope this helps.

Peter Thirkell

Ali Lloyd via use-livecode<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=use-livecode@...&q=from:%22Ali+Lloyd+via+use%5C-livecode%22> Fri, 09 Jun 2017 13:40:50 -0700<https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=use-livecode@...&q=date:20170609>

Bernd,
The problem with your OnSave / OnLoad handlers are that Point and Color are
types defined in the canvas module that the array-saving code does not know
about. These need to be converted to a core type, eg string or list.

Thanks Ali

I had just found out when you posted but the Nabble alert gave a wrong author.

Happy Birthday to you
(imagine Marily Monroe singing...)

Kind regards
Bernd