[ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi List,

Just a quick announcement.

I put animationEngine into the public domain today. No code changes, just a change of license. It is now free as in beer as well as free as in OSS terms. No more GPL3 restrictions, actually no restrictions at all. It is still listed as paid Software in the extensions shop, but that will also be changed soon.

For all of you that supported me over the years: Thank you so much! Every license sold helped me move the library forward. The code is a bit dated now, however, maybe some of you find tiny bits and pieces that are still useful today.

You find all AE related stuff on GITHUB: https://github.com/derbrill/animationEngine

Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev. I will be keeping an eye on liveCode of course. :-) I have made quite a lot of friends on the lists and forums over the years, so I raise my glass to all of you.

Cheers!

Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
AE was my first add on purchase for LC. It did me well for so many things. Thanks Malte for all of your assistance over the years and your coding prowess. All the best as you move on.

Sean

> On 28 Sep 2018, at 20:15, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>
> Just a quick announcement.
>
> I put animationEngine into the public domain today. No code changes, just a change of license. It is now free as in beer as well as free as in OSS terms. No more GPL3 restrictions, actually no restrictions at all. It is still listed as paid Software in the extensions shop, but that will also be changed soon.
>
> For all of you that supported me over the years: Thank you so much! Every license sold helped me move the library forward. The code is a bit dated now, however, maybe some of you find tiny bits and pieces that are still useful today.
>
> You find all AE related stuff on GITHUB: https://github.com/derbrill/animationEngine
>
> Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev. I will be keeping an eye on liveCode of course. :-) I have made quite a lot of friends on the lists and forums over the years, so I raise my glass to all of you.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hey Malte,

Thanks for freeing your code and the contributions you have madeto the
community.

I was under the impression that once something is GPLed .... it is GPL
forever, and it cannot really change.  Is it just a matter of the fact that
you yourself would never enforce the GPL license which is why you are able
to change the license?

I'm dealing with licensing issues right now ...still confused about how to
dual license something...hence my question.

I will keep an eye on your upcoming kickstarter to see what you are
attempting to do.

All the best, thank you.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 3:33 PM Pi Digital via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> AE was my first add on purchase for LC. It did me well for so many things.
> Thanks Malte for all of your assistance over the years and your coding
> prowess. All the best as you move on.
>
> Sean
>
> > On 28 Sep 2018, at 20:15, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi List,
> >
> > Just a quick announcement.
> >
> > I put animationEngine into the public domain today. No code changes,
> just a change of license. It is now free as in beer as well as free as in
> OSS terms. No more GPL3 restrictions, actually no restrictions at all. It
> is still listed as paid Software in the extensions shop, but that will also
> be changed soon.
> >
> > For all of you that supported me over the years: Thank you so much!
> Every license sold helped me move the library forward. The code is a bit
> dated now, however, maybe some of you find tiny bits and pieces that are
> still useful today.
> >
> > You find all AE related stuff on GITHUB:
> https://github.com/derbrill/animationEngine
> >
> > Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one
> last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that
> fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev. I will be keeping an eye on
> liveCode of course. :-) I have made quite a lot of friends on the lists and
> forums over the years, so I raise my glass to all of you.
> >
> > Cheers!
> >
> > Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
AE is a treasure chest for scripting techniques, no wide open.

Thanks, Malte.

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Copyright owner can relicense at will. That is why there are contributor agreements that transfer copyright to the project in many cases. Someone else can’t take GPL code and change the license.

Thanks,
Brian
On Sep 28, 2018, 2:59 PM -0500, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:

> Hey Malte,
>
> Thanks for freeing your code and the contributions you have madeto the
> community.
>
> I was under the impression that once something is GPLed .... it is GPL
> forever, and it cannot really change. Is it just a matter of the fact that
> you yourself would never enforce the GPL license which is why you are able
> to change the license?
>
> I'm dealing with licensing issues right now ...still confused about how to
> dual license something...hence my question.
>
> I will keep an eye on your upcoming kickstarter to see what you are
> attempting to do.
>
> All the best, thank you.
>
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 3:33 PM Pi Digital via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > AE was my first add on purchase for LC. It did me well for so many things.
> > Thanks Malte for all of your assistance over the years and your coding
> > prowess. All the best as you move on.
> >
> > Sean
> >
> > > On 28 Sep 2018, at 20:15, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi List,
> > >
> > > Just a quick announcement.
> > >
> > > I put animationEngine into the public domain today. No code changes,
> > just a change of license. It is now free as in beer as well as free as in
> > OSS terms. No more GPL3 restrictions, actually no restrictions at all. It
> > is still listed as paid Software in the extensions shop, but that will also
> > be changed soon.
> > >
> > > For all of you that supported me over the years: Thank you so much!
> > Every license sold helped me move the library forward. The code is a bit
> > dated now, however, maybe some of you find tiny bits and pieces that are
> > still useful today.
> > >
> > > You find all AE related stuff on GITHUB:
> > https://github.com/derbrill/animationEngine
> > >
> > > Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one
> > last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that
> > fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev. I will be keeping an eye on
> > liveCode of course. :-) I have made quite a lot of friends on the lists and
> > forums over the years, so I raise my glass to all of you.
> > >
> > > Cheers!
> > >
> > > Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Brian, thats a key thing that was missing from my understanding. thank
you.  i can't afford a lawyer at this point, so i have to try to make the
right decision without it. thanks.

Tom Glod wrote:

> I'm dealing with licensing issues right now ...still confused about how to
> dual license something...

Anything we may be able to help with here?

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode

 Tom, the original author of the software can release his or her
software in dual or multiple licences. This does not affect previous
GPL releases.

 So I could make something available under a commercial and a GPL
licence. If someone wanted it for free nothing stops them from using the
GPL version. Maybe there is something they like in the commercial
version licence though so they pay for it. Still does not stop others
from using the GPL version though.

 You are right, if it is GPL it is so forever, but the original author
can also release/re-release it with another licence. THE GPL version
with all the terms that go with it still exists though. The original
author cannot make you pick one licence or the other. Users with the GPL
continue to have all the rights of the GPL. Those users can choose to
download a copy with the other licence if they want though, as long as
they obey the terms of that licence.

 In the case of releasing the software you were discussing in the public
domain now, I can just download it again and say I have the public
domain version, not the GPL version. Or in practical terms use the GPL
one knowing that the author will not care because he wants it to be
public domain and knows I can get the public domain version easily.

 Essentially there are two versions that are identical, but have
different licences and you can choose your version based on the
licence and the GPL one will always be GPL but the author can make
other versions.

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Malte,

Best of luck!
AE was and is a wonderful tool.

Viele Danke,
Jim Lambert

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
John M..... thanks for the in-depth explanation, really helps to put it in
those terms.  I understand.

Richard, its the whole Toolbox issue with needing a custom CEF build to
enable video sites to work correctly.  I think I will launch the community
version first and then figure it out from there.  i just didn't want to
make a move and then have to face palm myself later because i was an eager
beaver.  I'm going through the GPL license line by line at the
moment....its tons of fun.

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 5:30 PM Jim Lambert via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Malte,
>
> Best of luck!
> AE was and is a wonderful tool.
>
> Viele Danke,
> Jim Lambert

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Maybe https://choosealicense.com could help?

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 1:16 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Brian, thats a key thing that was missing from my understanding. thank
> you.  i can't afford a lawyer at this point, so i have to try to make the
> right decision without it. thanks.
>

> On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 4:06 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Copyright owner can relicense at will. That is why there are contributor
> > agreements that transfer copyright to the project in many cases. Someone
> > else can’t take GPL code and change the license.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> > On Sep 28, 2018, 2:59 PM -0500, Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]>, wrote:
> > > Hey Malte,
> > >
> > > Thanks for freeing your code and the contributions you have madeto the
> > > community.
> > >
> > > I was under the impression that once something is GPLed .... it is GPL
> > > forever, and it cannot really change. Is it just a matter of the fact
> > that
> > > you yourself would never enforce the GPL license which is why you are
> > able
> > > to change the license?
> > >
> > > I'm dealing with licensing issues right now ...still confused about how
> > > dual license something...hence my question.
> > >
> > > I will keep an eye on your upcoming kickstarter to see what you are
> > > attempting to do.
> > >
> > > All the best, thank you.

> > things.
> coding

> changes,
> as
> > in
> all.
> > It
> will
> > also

> > bit
> > are

> one
> > that
> > lists and

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
What's the Kickstarter?

On 9/28/18 2:15 PM, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode wrote:
> Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev.

I'm sorry to hear that, Malte. I'm sure your reasons are for the best
but I wouldn't want you to disappear. Please keep in touch.

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
yes, please stay on the list...we need your wisdom and humor.  I'm kind of
a lurker but still use LC for my quirky hybrid (but totally not shrink
wrapped) programming.  I love this culture of Rev.
--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 3:25 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9/28/18 2:15 PM, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode wrote:
> > Today I am not doing much development work anymore. There will be one
> last try through a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of days, but if that
> fails, I’ve basically had my days in dev.
>
> I'm sorry to hear that, Malte. I'm sure your reasons are for the best
> but I wouldn't want you to disappear. Please keep in touch.

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hey all!

Thanks for the kind words! And please excuse I did not reply earlier. Rather busy setting up the Promo stuff at the moment.

I’ll surely keep lurking on the lists. :-) There still will be an OSS project I am stewarding using liveCode, so I'll be in the boat for a while. I just feel that I can not cope with the changed markets for end user software any more. End users expectations seem to be to receive everything at no or very low cost. I blame mobile devices for that. Add to that the permanent struggle with licenses and you have a mix that frustrates me perfectly. With the Kickstarter stuff I like to test the waters if the “new times” still leave opportunities for niche developers, to at least break even on developing something that is not coded as a service / under contract. I hope you do not mind if I post under [OT] label once it goes live (Sunday).

Cheers,

Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Thanks for them many years of info, Malte.

JB

> On Oct 2, 2018, at 10:20 AM, Malte Pfaff-Brill via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all!
>
> Thanks for the kind words! And please excuse I did not reply earlier. Rather busy setting up the Promo stuff at the moment.
>
> I’ll surely keep lurking on the lists. :-) There still will be an OSS project I am stewarding using liveCode, so I'll be in the boat for a while. I just feel that I can not cope with the changed markets for end user software any more. End users expectations seem to be to receive everything at no or very low cost. I blame mobile devices for that. Add to that the permanent struggle with licenses and you have a mix that frustrates me perfectly. With the Kickstarter stuff I like to test the waters if the “new times” still leave opportunities for niche developers, to at least break even on developing something that is not coded as a service / under contract. I hope you do not mind if I post under [OT] label once it goes live (Sunday).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Malte

Re: [ANN] animationEngine is free now

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 7:27 AM John McKenzie via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:>
>  You are right, if it is GPL it is so forever, but the original author
> can also release/re-release it with another licence. THE GPL version
> with all the terms that go with it still exists though. The original
> author cannot make you pick one licence or the other. Users with the GPL
> continue to have all the rights of the GPL. Those users can choose to
> download a copy with the other licence if they want though, as long as
> they obey the terms of that licence.

Thank you John for expressing this so succinctly as strangely I don't
think it's a concept LiveCode the company fully understands, or is
happy that licensing is a generally confusing issue for Users.

It has been expressed on the odd occasion that a couple of students
can't each download the Community version of LC and develop a game and
then one of them who has a rich Dad buy a Commercial version and then
upload their App to the Apple Store;  but this is perfectly legitimate
if they jump through a few hoops.  As long as all the students release
all their code to the public under GPLv3 and then, maybe even via this
List, release all their code under another license - I currently have
a particular liking to the JSON license which is GPL incompatible but
is AppStore compatible - then you, me, and Student No 3 with a
Commercial license can take that code and do with it what we like.

LiveCode can not prevent Malte from releasing his GPL code
additionally to the Public Domain.  The FOSS can not prevent any GPL
code from also being released under another license.  This is exactly
how VLC was originally pulled from the Apple Store but eventually made
it's way back because all the contributors who wanted VLC to be
released without the restrictions of GPL, simply re-released their
code under a different Apple compatible license (MIT I think).

So it is legal for a group of impoverished developers (aren't they
all;-) to all grab a copy of Community LC and develop away to their
hearts content releasing all their code to the Public Domain (which is
GPLv3 compatible but irritates certain FOSS zealots) and at some stage
scrounge up enough money for a single Indy license and release their
Killer App on the App Store.  The company may wish all the
contributing developers purchased an Indy license but there is no
legal or practical way that they could enforce that desire.

As long as the LC User abides by their License, and the Receiver
abides by the License of the code they receive and the LC License they
have, then you are good.