[ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

[ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Peter TB Brett
Hi all,

       == Emacs lcb-mode 0.1.1 ==

lcb-mode is a major mode for Emacs that adds syntax highlighting and
indentation for editing LiveCode Builder (.lcb) source files.

== Installation

1. Add the MELPA community package repository: https://melpa.org/
2. Do "M-x package-install lcb-mode"

Please visit https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode for more details.

== Notable changes in 0.1.1

* Full indentation support for LCB code, including:
   * good handling of continued lines
   * indentation for all core language block syntax
* Syntax highlighting support:
   * all core language block syntax
   * some core language statements
   * string-based highlighting for user constants and variables
* Installable from MELPA package repository

== Reporting problems

Please report issues to https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode/issues

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Mike Kerner
For those of us who haven't used emacs in a couple of decades, what is the
difference between it and Atom, these days?

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:54 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>       == Emacs lcb-mode 0.1.1 ==
>
> lcb-mode is a major mode for Emacs that adds syntax highlighting and
> indentation for editing LiveCode Builder (.lcb) source files.
>
> == Installation
>
> 1. Add the MELPA community package repository: https://melpa.org/
> 2. Do "M-x package-install lcb-mode"
>
> Please visit https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode for more details.
>
> == Notable changes in 0.1.1
>
> * Full indentation support for LCB code, including:
>   * good handling of continued lines
>   * indentation for all core language block syntax
> * Syntax highlighting support:
>   * all core language block syntax
>   * some core language statements
>   * string-based highlighting for user constants and variables
> * Installable from MELPA package repository
>
> == Reporting problems
>
> Please report issues to https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode/issues
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Technical Project Manager
>
> lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Peter TB Brett wrote:

>        == Emacs lcb-mode 0.1.1 ==
>
> lcb-mode is a major mode for Emacs that adds syntax highlighting and
> indentation for editing LiveCode Builder (.lcb) source files.
>
> == Installation
>
> 1. Add the MELPA community package repository: https://melpa.org/
> 2. Do "M-x package-install lcb-mode"
>
> Please visit https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode for more details.
>
> == Notable changes in 0.1.1
>
> * Full indentation support for LCB code, including:
>    * good handling of continued lines
>    * indentation for all core language block syntax
> * Syntax highlighting support:
>    * all core language block syntax
>    * some core language statements
>    * string-based highlighting for user constants and variables
> * Installable from MELPA package repository
>
> == Reporting problems
>
> Please report issues to https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode/issues

Cool stuff.

Reminds me: does the emacsKeyBindings global property still work in LC?

Anyone here have an idea what it would take to add a vimKeyBindings?

On 16/08/2016 13:46, Mike Kerner wrote:
> For those of us who haven't used emacs in a couple of decades, what is the
> difference between it and Atom, these days?

(This e-mail discusses running Emacs on Linux.  The last time I checked,
Emacs on Mac OS was a bit flaky.)

- Emacs has _really good_ editing modes for almost every text-based file
format and programming language under the sun.  I've used it for
programming in C, C++, Java, Scheme, ANSI Lisp, Elisp, Bash, Python, R,
JavaScript, Rust, MATLAB/Octave, LiveCode Builder, several variants of
assembly, PostScript, Make, VHDL, Verilog, IDL, LaTeX, M4, Awk, Perl,
and probably some other languages that I've forgotten about.  In
generally, if it's text-based, I can usually open it in Emacs and just
get on with it [1].

- Emacs has a large memory footprint, but Atom uses HUGE amounts of
memory.  The same goes for CPU usage.  On one of my older computers,
Atom is really very sluggish, but Emacs remains nice and responsive.

- Integration with stuff.  Emacs has lots of really nice extensions!  I
can do version control with git, compile programs and analyse the logs,
run a debugger, send e-mail, and even chat on IRC from inside Emacs.

Of course the main reason I use Emacs is that its keybindings and other
features are now programmed into my brain. ;-)

                                 Peter

[1] There are some exceptions, such as gentle, the compiler-specific
language that much of lc-compile is written in.

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Graham Samuel-4
Peter

Although I thought I'd learned enough at the LC conference about LCB to start making widgets, your mail seems to suggest a whole world I have no idea about. Emacs? MELPA? Can you put this in some kind of context for us LC coders? Even github is unknown territory to me.

TIA

Graham

Sent from my iPhone

On 16/08/2016 16:20, Graham Samuel wrote:

> Although I thought I'd learned enough at the LC conference about LCB
> to start making widgets, your mail seems to suggest a whole world I
> have no idea about. Emacs? MELPA? Can you put this in some kind of
> context for us LC coders? Even github is unknown territory to me.

Emacs: A classic and very highly-extensible text editor that's been
around since the 1980s.  Beloved of developers working on Linux and
other Unix-like operating systems.

MELPA: An archive of community-created extensions for Emacs.

I have created an extension for Emacs to help people who like using
Emacs to use it for working on LiveCode Builder files.  I have added it
to MELPA so that it is easy to install.

If you're happy with using Atom, you don't need to worry about it!

                                              Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Warren Samples
On 08/16/2016 08:44 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>       Emacs
>
> vim

Whooboy! Fun time's a startin'!

On 16/08/2016 16:52, Warren Samples wrote:
> On 08/16/2016 08:44 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>> Peter TB Brett wrote:
>>>       Emacs
>>
>> vim
>>

> Whooboy! Fun time's a startin'!

'S'all kickin' off around here!

                                   Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Technical Project Manager

lcb-mode for Emacs: https://github.com/peter-b/lcb-mode

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Dr. Hawkins
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> but Emacs remains nice and responsive.

Wow.

In over 30 years, that's the first time I've heard *anyone *say that.

:)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Alex Tweedly-2
On 16/08/2016 14:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Anyone here have an idea what it would take to add a vimKeyBindings?

A brief attack of insanity.

(as in - if you already have Emacs, you'd be insane to waste time on any
other editor or binding .... :-)

-- Alex.

OK, OK, I promise not to start "editor wars".

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Alex Tweedly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/08/2016 14:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>

>> Anyone here have an idea what it would take to add a vimKeyBindings?
>>
>> A brief attack of insanity.
>
> (as in - if you already have Emacs, you'd be insane to waste time on any
> other editor or binding .... :-)

Why? Do the emacs bindings work in vi mode?

:)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Dr. Hawkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Alex Tweedly <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 16/08/2016 14:44, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>

>>> Anyone here have an idea what it would take to add a vimKeyBindings?
>>>
>>> A brief attack of insanity.
>>
>> (as in - if you already have Emacs, you'd be insane to waste time on any
>> other editor or binding .... :-)
>

> Why? Do the emacs bindings work in vi mode?
>
> :)

For the record, having used both extensively over the years, I've never
needed medical attention from using vi . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

mwieder
Right... that would be an IV...
 ahsoftware@gmail.com

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM, mwieder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Right... that would be an IV...

:)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: [ANN] lcb-mode v0.1.1: Emacs major mode for LCB source code

Peter Alcibiades
What I would really like to see is a plugin for Geany....  But its way beyond my own capabilities to do one myself.