Quantcast

ANN: new team member

Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
programmer.

Re: ANN: new team member

I doubt that very much.

He may be the father (why 'new'; did the baby have a previous father?)
of a potential programmer.

Either way: congratulations to Ali!

Richmond.

On 5/11/17 7:51 pm, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
> programmer.

Re: ANN: new team member

Congratulations Ali!

Is there a whisky fund where we can send donations?

Phil Davis

--
Phil Davis

Re: ANN: new team member

Wait! You have to program the babies???

Bob S

> On May 11, 2017, at 09:51 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby programmer.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: ANN: new team member

on babyStartup
    set babysFather to "Ali Loyd"
    -- write to permanent memory
    if unconditional = true then
       put "love" into tForeverAndAlways
    end if
end babyStartup

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wait! You have to program the babies???
>
> Bob S
>

> > On May 11, 2017, at 09:51 , Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
> programmer.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Wieder

Re: ANN: new team member

They come with just the OS, no supporting software is provided.

Congratulations to Ali. Hopefully he will find that improving on LiveCode is a good way to make sleepless nights go so much faster.

Regards
Tore N

> 11. mai 2017 kl. 19.08 skrev Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Wait! You have to program the babies???

RE: new team member

Ali,

Congrats!! My best wishes for the new arrival!!

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

On 5/11/17 11:51 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
> programmer.

Ali, congats to you and your wife! In case you find yourself a bit
overwhelmed with the new arrival, I offer some humble child-rearing tips
you might find useful:

<http://jacque.on-rev.com/jacque/childcare.irev>

Re: ANN: new team member

On 05/11/2017 09:56 AM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode wrote:

> He may be the father (why 'new'; did the baby have a previous father?)

Fathers are always previous to babies.

> of a potential programmer.

Potential comes pre-programmed. To make it kinetic you have to add work.

Re: ANN: new team member

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Roger Eller via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> on babyStartup
>     set babysFather to "Ali Loyd"
>     -- write to permanent memory
>     if unconditional = true then
>        put "love" into tForeverAndAlways
>     end if
> end babyStartup

on sleep

do 15 or 20 minutes a night

awe, who are we kidding

wait three months with messages

end attempt to sleep

:)

congratulations.

We found that at about 10 lbs, they hold enough food to sleep through the
night.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462

Re: ANN: new team member

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We found that at about 10 lbs, they hold enough food to sleep through the
> night.

...oh, so that why this lady waited for hers to be 16lb 4 oz:
http://now100fm.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/woman-gives-birth-to-16-pound-baby-pics/

Is there any chance the hospital uses gitbub; maybe you can push your
current repo of baby and pull it once it hit's the 10lb milestone ;-)

Ali, congrats to you and your wife.

Re: ANN: new team member

Thanks all! He's almost 10lb already, but still no sign of sleeping 4 hours
let alone through the night ;-)

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM Kay C Lan via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We found that at about 10 lbs, they hold enough food to sleep through the
> > night.
> >
> ...oh, so that why this lady waited for hers to be 16lb 4 oz:
>
> http://now100fm.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/woman-gives-birth-to-16-pound-baby-pics/
>
> Is there any chance the hospital uses gitbub; maybe you can push your
> current repo of baby and pull it once it hit's the 10lb milestone ;-)
>
> Ali, congrats to you and your wife.

Re: ANN: new team member

Just to add my congrats! Life will never be the same… but it will be better!

Graham

> On 11 May 2017, at 18:51, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby programmer.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Re: ANN: new team member

pink
Well congrats Ali... remember to keep the firmware up to date and just to warn you, there are no breakpoints
---
Greg (pink) Miller
mad, pink and dangerous to code

Re: ANN: new team member

Hi

Congratulations and Eudemonia to you all Ali.

Now let's see if I can use Computer metaphors,puns and word play  with the
rest of them ...

Now the real "Programming" starts with a Finite State Ali-Gata which is a
child  Object Instantiation of the Parent Class. Set the garbage collector
to automatic because there will be a lot of mutable objects in the FIFO.

<GROAN>

But more to the point have you bought him a Raspberry Pi yet and will this
mean version nine will be compiled for the Pi soon?

Congrats again Ali Children - and Grand Children are what makes life living
(and interesting!!).

On 12 May 2017 at 09:59, Ali Lloyd via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all! He's almost 10lb already, but still no sign of sleeping 4 hours
> let alone through the night ;-)
>
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:12 AM Kay C Lan via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 5:45 AM, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > We found that at about 10 lbs, they hold enough food to sleep through
> the
> > > night.
> > >
> > ...oh, so that why this lady waited for hers to be 16lb 4 oz:
> >
> > http://now100fm.cbslocal.com/2017/05/10/woman-gives-birth-
> to-16-pound-baby-pics/
> >
> > Is there any chance the hospital uses gitbub; maybe you can push your
> > current repo of baby and pull it once it hit's the 10lb milestone ;-)
> >
> > Ali, congrats to you and your wife.

Re: ANN: new team member

Not exactly true. You *can* set breakpoints, but the engine simply ignores them.

Bob S

> On May 12, 2017, at 04:00 , pink via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well congrats Ali... remember to keep the firmware up to date and just to
> warn you, there are no breakpoints

Re: ANN: new team member

Congratulations, Ali!

RE a new future programmer. As they say out here in the wild, wild west (paraphrased):

Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be coders,
Don’t let ‘em parse text files and wade through old cruft,
Let ‘em be doctors and lawyers and such.

Apologies to Ed Bruce and Waylon Jennings.

Devin

> On May 11, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby programmer.
>
> --
> Mark Wieder

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

Re: ANN: new team member

I hope it's a scripter, not a coder or a programmer.

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Devin Asay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations, Ali!
>
> RE a new future programmer. As they say out here in the wild, wild west
> (paraphrased):
>
> Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be coders,
> Don’t let ‘em parse text files and wade through old cruft,
> Let ‘em be doctors and lawyers and such.
>
> Apologies to Ed Bruce and Waylon Jennings.
>

> Devin
>
> > On May 11, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
> programmer.
> >
> > --
> > Mark Wieder

> Devin Asay
> Director
> Office of Digital Humanities
> Brigham Young University

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: ANN: new team member

?

On 5/12/17 7:00 pm, Mike Kerner via use-livecode wrote:
> I hope it's a scripter, not a coder or a programmer.

If you could be so kind as to explain exactly what the diffierences are
between
a scripter, a coder and a programmer, I, for one, would feel I could breath
more easily at night :)

Richmond.

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Devin Asay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Congratulations, Ali!
>>
>> RE a new future programmer. As they say out here in the wild, wild west
>> (paraphrased):
>>
>> Mommas, don’t let your babies grow up to be coders,
>> Don’t let ‘em parse text files and wade through old cruft,
>> Let ‘em be doctors and lawyers and such.
>>
>> Apologies to Ed Bruce and Waylon Jennings.
>>

>> Devin
>>
>>> On May 11, 2017, at 10:51 AM, Mark Wieder via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Word from the grapevine is that Ali Lloyd is the new father of a baby
>> programmer.
>>> --
>>> Mark Wieder

>> Devin Asay
>> Director
>> Office of Digital Humanities
>> Brigham Young University

Re: ANN: new team member

My guess is, a scripter writes in a high level language like Applescript or Livecode script. A programmer writes in a mid level language like C++ or Pascal. A coder writes in a low level language like assembly.