[ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

[ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter TB Brett
Hi all,

        == Atom language-livecode package 0.6.0 ==

The "language-livecode" package for the Atom editor (https://atom.io/)
provides syntax highlighting and indentation support for editing
LiveCode Builder (.lcb), LiveCode Script (.livecodescript), and LiveCode
Server (.lc / .irev) source files.

== Installation

Install the "language-livecode" package from the Atom user interface.

== Notable changes in 0.6.0

* LiveCode Script grammar and snippets generated from documentation
* Support for script-only stacks (`.livecodescript`)
* Linting & syntax checking for LiveCode Script files
* Initial linting support for LiveCode Builder source files

== Reporting issues

Please report issues to
https://github.com/peter-b/atom-language-livecode/issues

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Monte Goulding
Aha! Now those of you that wanted to play with the linter after my premature announcement last month can have a go.

On 20/10/2015 21:53, Monte Goulding wrote:
> Aha! Now those of you that wanted to play with the linter after my premature announcement last month can have a go.

Sorry it took me so long to make the release! ;_;

                               Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Open Source Team

LiveCode on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/livecode

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
I just downloaded the file but not having any success figuring out how to
install it in Atom.  It seems their standard install only lists packages
that have been registered at atom.io.  Any help would be welcome.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 20/10/2015 21:53, Monte Goulding wrote:
>
>> Aha! Now those of you that wanted to play with the linter after my
>> premature announcement last month can have a go.
>>

> Sorry it took me so long to make the release! ;_;
>
>                               Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Open Source Team
>
> LiveCode on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/livecode

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

mwieder
Peter Haworth <pete@...> writes:

> I just downloaded the file but not having any success figuring out how to
> install it in Atom.  It seems their standard install only lists packages
> that have been registered at atom.io.  Any help would be welcome.

Open Atom
Go to Preferences
Select Install
Make sure Packages is selected (it's the default)
Type livecode into the search box and press return
"language-livecode" should be top of the list
Press Install

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Monte Goulding

> On 22 Oct 2015, at 5:05 am, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Open Atom
> Go to Preferences
> Select Install
> Make sure Packages is selected (it's the default)
> Type livecode into the search box and press return
> "language-livecode" should be top of the list
> Press Install

And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional setup for the linter. For livecode script & server it needs to know where a server engine is. If you symlink it to somewhere on $PATH as livecode-server then you can leave it as default. For livecode builder it needs to know where lc-compile and the standard modules are. These default assuming you have the livecode repo installed but I assume you can extract them from a livecode install. I mentioned to Peter B it might be nice if LC had an install command line tools option to handle this stuff.

Cheers

Monte

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
Thanks Mark and Monte.  I'm now up and running but have not tried to deal
with the linter/livecode server yet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Monte Goulding <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 22 Oct 2015, at 5:05 am, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Open Atom
> > Go to Preferences
> > Select Install
> > Make sure Packages is selected (it's the default)
> > Type livecode into the search box and press return
> > "language-livecode" should be top of the list
> > Press Install
>
> And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and
> then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional
> setup for the linter. For livecode script & server it needs to know where a
> server engine is. If you symlink it to somewhere on $PATH as
> livecode-server then you can leave it as default. For livecode builder it
> needs to know where lc-compile and the standard modules are. These default
> assuming you have the livecode repo installed but I assume you can extract
> them from a livecode install. I mentioned to Peter B it might be nice if LC
> had an install command line tools option to handle this stuff.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Mike Kerner
This conversation is exactly why we need to develop some better
instructions for the non-command-liners.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Mark and Monte.  I'm now up and running but have not tried to deal
> with the linter/livecode server yet.
>
> Pete
> lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
> Home of lcStackBrowser <http://www.lcsql.com/lcstackbrowser.html> and
> SQLiteAdmin <http://www.lcsql.com/sqliteadmin.html>
>
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Monte Goulding <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > > On 22 Oct 2015, at 5:05 am, Mark Wieder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Open Atom
> > > Go to Preferences
> > > Select Install
> > > Make sure Packages is selected (it's the default)
> > > Type livecode into the search box and press return
> > > "language-livecode" should be top of the list
> > > Press Install
> >
> > And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and
> > then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional
> > setup for the linter. For livecode script & server it needs to know
> where a
> > server engine is. If you symlink it to somewhere on $PATH as
> > livecode-server then you can leave it as default. For livecode builder it
> > needs to know where lc-compile and the standard modules are. These
> default
> > assuming you have the livecode repo installed but I assume you can
> extract
> > them from a livecode install. I mentioned to Peter B it might be nice if
> LC
> > had an install command line tools option to handle this stuff.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Monte

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
This is probably a question for any Atom experts out there but The
autocomplete doesn't seem to be working as I expected.

According to the Atom documentation, autocomplete should include words in
the file you're editing, so for example if I have a local declaration, it
should suggest the names of the variables for autocompletion but that's not
happening.

It's also a little odd that the suggestions include words that include the
letters I'm typing anywhere in them so if I start typing "tVa", the
suggestions include "toplevel stack", "twelveHourTime to trueORfalse", and
"traversalOn".

I'm hoping there are some settings to control this but haven't found any
yet.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On 21/10/2015 21:15, Mike Kerner wrote:
> This conversation is exactly why we need to develop some better
> instructions for the non-command-liners.

Hi Mike,

I agree.  Does the info on the package's page seem adequate?

https://atom.io/packages/language-livecode

If not, what info is missing?  How could it be better organised?  Which
parts are unclear?  Obviously, it's important to make sure that it's
easy to find the info that you need!

The source file for that page is here, in case anyone wants to improve
it directly:

https://github.com/peter-b/atom-language-livecode/blob/master/README.md

                                       Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
LiveCode Open Source Team

LiveCode on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/livecode

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Kay C Lan
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is probably a question for any Atom experts out there but The
> autocomplete doesn't seem to be working as I expected.
>
> I'm definitely NOT an Atom expert, but try this

> According to the Atom documentation, autocomplete should include words in
> the file you're editing, so for example if I have a local declaration, it
> should suggest the names of the variables for autocompletion but that's not
> happening.
>
> Go to Atom's Preferences - cmd comma on OS X

In the middle column select Packages

Scroll down until you find "autocomplete-plus" - be aware there are several
autocomplete but the plus package should be the only one that has a
"Settings" button

Click on the Settings button and scroll down and about the 2nd last Option
is "Default Provider" it is probably set to "Symbol" - I don't know why as
it states it's 'experimental' - change it to 'Fuzzy'. This should find the
words in your file.

> It's also a little odd that the suggestions include words that include the
> letters I'm typing anywhere in them so if I start typing "tVa", the
> suggestions include "toplevel stack", "twelveHourTime to trueORfalse", and
> "traversalOn".
>
> In the same settings pane go up to 'Use Strict Matching for Built-in
Provider" and Tick the box. This should reduce the matches to what you are
expecting.

You need to restart Atom for these to take effect.

By the way, if any packages (livecode or Atom community) are updated when
you go to Atom's Settings pane and click on Packages in the middle column,
any package updates that are available have an green "Update" button
associated with them. Very easy.

HTH

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Mike Kerner
Peter,
The messages I was sending you are a good example - I wasn't able to make
colorizing work until I fiddled the heck out of things.  Anyway, my general
rule is that if there are questions, the documentation isn't clear enough.

I didn't think about tweaking the page in Git.  <facepalm/>

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 5:51 AM, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is probably a question for any Atom experts out there but The
> > autocomplete doesn't seem to be working as I expected.
> >
> > I'm definitely NOT an Atom expert, but try this
>

> > According to the Atom documentation, autocomplete should include words in
> > the file you're editing, so for example if I have a local declaration, it
> > should suggest the names of the variables for autocompletion but that's
> not
> > happening.
> >
> > Go to Atom's Preferences - cmd comma on OS X
>
> In the middle column select Packages
>
> Scroll down until you find "autocomplete-plus" - be aware there are several
> autocomplete but the plus package should be the only one that has a
> "Settings" button
>
> Click on the Settings button and scroll down and about the 2nd last Option
> is "Default Provider" it is probably set to "Symbol" - I don't know why as
> it states it's 'experimental' - change it to 'Fuzzy'. This should find the
> words in your file.
>

> > It's also a little odd that the suggestions include words that include
> the
> > letters I'm typing anywhere in them so if I start typing "tVa", the
> > suggestions include "toplevel stack", "twelveHourTime to trueORfalse",
> and
> > "traversalOn".
> >
> > In the same settings pane go up to 'Use Strict Matching for Built-in
> Provider" and Tick the box. This should reduce the matches to what you are
> expecting.
>
> You need to restart Atom for these to take effect.
>
> By the way, if any packages (livecode or Atom community) are updated when
> you go to Atom's Settings pane and click on Packages in the middle column,
> any package updates that are available have an green "Update" button
> associated with them. Very easy.
>
> HTH

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
Hi Peter,
The only confusion for me was the section on the linter and the
installation of LC server.  I've never installed LC server so don;t know
where to start.  I assume there are instructions somewhere so a link to
wherever that is would be good.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Peter TB Brett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 21/10/2015 21:15, Mike Kerner wrote:
>
>> This conversation is exactly why we need to develop some better
>> instructions for the non-command-liners.
>>

> Hi Mike,
>
> I agree.  Does the info on the package's page seem adequate?
>
> https://atom.io/packages/language-livecode
>
> If not, what info is missing?  How could it be better organised?  Which
> parts are unclear?  Obviously, it's important to make sure that it's easy
> to find the info that you need!
>
> The source file for that page is here, in case anyone wants to improve it
> directly:
>
> https://github.com/peter-b/atom-language-livecode/blob/master/README.md
>
>                                       Peter
>
> --
> Dr Peter Brett <[hidden email]>
> LiveCode Open Source Team
>
> LiveCode on reddit: https://reddit.com/r/livecode

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
Thanks Kay, that did the trick.

There's still a couple of things Tom doesn't appear to do, both regarding
indentation.

The script editor ( and TextMate) automatically indent after
if/repeat/switch statements, Atom doesn't.  I know it has snippets that
will insert a complete if block with indentation but if I simply type an if
statement followed by return, no indentation.

The other one is if I press the tab key in the IDE Script Editor, all my
code is properly indented and aligned.  I would guess that's too specific
for Atom to be able to handle, but I miss that feature.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 2:51 AM, Kay C Lan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > This is probably a question for any Atom experts out there but The
> > autocomplete doesn't seem to be working as I expected.
> >
> > I'm definitely NOT an Atom expert, but try this
>

> > According to the Atom documentation, autocomplete should include words in
> > the file you're editing, so for example if I have a local declaration, it
> > should suggest the names of the variables for autocompletion but that's
> not
> > happening.
> >
> > Go to Atom's Preferences - cmd comma on OS X
>
> In the middle column select Packages
>
> Scroll down until you find "autocomplete-plus" - be aware there are several
> autocomplete but the plus package should be the only one that has a
> "Settings" button
>
> Click on the Settings button and scroll down and about the 2nd last Option
> is "Default Provider" it is probably set to "Symbol" - I don't know why as
> it states it's 'experimental' - change it to 'Fuzzy'. This should find the
> words in your file.
>

> > It's also a little odd that the suggestions include words that include
> the
> > letters I'm typing anywhere in them so if I start typing "tVa", the
> > suggestions include "toplevel stack", "twelveHourTime to trueORfalse",
> and
> > "traversalOn".
> >
> > In the same settings pane go up to 'Use Strict Matching for Built-in
> Provider" and Tick the box. This should reduce the matches to what you are
> expecting.
>
> You need to restart Atom for these to take effect.
>
> By the way, if any packages (livecode or Atom community) are updated when
> you go to Atom's Settings pane and click on Packages in the middle column,
> any package updates that are available have an green "Update" button
> associated with them. Very easy.
>
> HTH

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Bob Sneidar-2
I need a lot more info before I could start using this. I read the "instructions" for the linter plugin for livecode, but it makes no sense, and adding what they have there to the config file and putting the path to Livecode (I assume that is what they are looking for) throws an error in Atom.

So am I supposed to copy scripts back and forth, or is Atom supposed to be able to jack into my Livecode stack and read the scripts in the individual objects? Don't see how that is possible, and I don't see how it would be better, or that much better to use Atom as an alternative script editor for LC. Perhaps for LC server.

Bob S

On Oct 21, 2015, at 12:20 , Monte Goulding <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional setup for the linter.

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Mike Kerner
The point isn't to use it for general purpose script editing.  The point is
to use it for LCB and LC Server scripts, and for libraries and other things
that aren't all hooked into the IDE.

Libraries are a good example, because if there are multiple people working
on it, if the library is stored in Git, it's easier to do version control.
Atom integrates very nicely with Git.

I have been thinking about whether I would write a plugin for LC that would
let Atom be easier to use as a script editor, by pulling scripts from LC
and putting them back in stacks, which would overcome some of the
annoyances with the LC SE, but we ain't there, or anywhere close.  For now,
for most general purpose script editing, the SE is the way to go.

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I need a lot more info before I could start using this. I read the
> "instructions" for the linter plugin for livecode, but it makes no sense,
> and adding what they have there to the config file and putting the path to
> Livecode (I assume that is what they are looking for) throws an error in
> Atom.
>
> So am I supposed to copy scripts back and forth, or is Atom supposed to be
> able to jack into my Livecode stack and read the scripts in the individual
> objects? Don't see how that is possible, and I don't see how it would be
> better, or that much better to use Atom as an alternative script editor for
> LC. Perhaps for LC server.
>
> Bob S
>

> On Oct 21, 2015, at 12:20 , Monte Goulding <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and
> then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional
> setup for the linter.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Peter Haworth
Hi Mike,
There's already a plugin for that, the STS MLXEditor plugin.  I'm using
that and it works great. Right now, I'm liking TextMate better than Atom
for editing stack scripts because it does the automatic indentation I
mentioned, but maybe there's a way a setting in Atom to control that?
Understand what you say about interface with git but I don't use git.

ATom does have a great advantage over Textmate because it can apparently
flag syntax errors but I need to figure out how to set up LC server to make
that work.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The point isn't to use it for general purpose script editing.  The point is
> to use it for LCB and LC Server scripts, and for libraries and other things
> that aren't all hooked into the IDE.
>
> Libraries are a good example, because if there are multiple people working
> on it, if the library is stored in Git, it's easier to do version control.
> Atom integrates very nicely with Git.
>
> I have been thinking about whether I would write a plugin for LC that would
> let Atom be easier to use as a script editor, by pulling scripts from LC
> and putting them back in stacks, which would overcome some of the
> annoyances with the LC SE, but we ain't there, or anywhere close.  For now,
> for most general purpose script editing, the SE is the way to go.
>
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Bob Sneidar <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I need a lot more info before I could start using this. I read the
> > "instructions" for the linter plugin for livecode, but it makes no sense,
> > and adding what they have there to the config file and putting the path
> > Livecode (I assume that is what they are looking for) throws an error in
> > Atom.
> >
> > So am I supposed to copy scripts back and forth, or is Atom supposed to
> be
> > able to jack into my Livecode stack and read the scripts in the
> individual
> > objects? Don't see how that is possible, and I don't see how it would be
> > better, or that much better to use Atom as an alternative script editor
> for
> > LC. Perhaps for LC server.
> >
> > Bob S
> >

> > On Oct 21, 2015, at 12:20 , Monte Goulding <[hidden email]
> > <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >
> > And you also need the linter package if you want to see script errors and
> > then check the livecode package settings and you will see some additional
> > setup for the linter.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Monte Goulding

> On 23 Oct 2015, at 5:27 am, Peter Haworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> ATom does have a great advantage over Textmate because it can apparently
> flag syntax errors but I need to figure out how to set up LC server to make
> that work.

Download LiveCode Server from downloads.livecode.com <http://downloads.livecode.com/> and unzip then put the path to the server engine in the field in settings titled LiveCode Server Engine Path.

Cheers

Monte

Re: [ANN] "language-livecode" 0.6.0 for Atom Editor

Monte Goulding

> On 23 Oct 2015, at 4:54 am, Mike Kerner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have been thinking about whether I would write a plugin for LC that would
> let Atom be easier to use as a script editor, by pulling scripts from LC
> and putting them back in stacks, which would overcome some of the
> annoyances with the LC SE, but we ain't there, or anywhere close.  For now,
> for most general purpose script editing, the SE is the way to go.

I’ve thought about this too. Actually in Atom we can have some code run whenever the file is saved. This seems nicer than constantly checking if the file is changed in a LC plugin. Should be fairly easy to setup something that sends datagrams back to a LC plugin on save.

Cheers

Monte