[ANN] revJournal is back!

Richard Gaskin

It seems the press release originally scheduled to go out today is a bit
late getting circulated, so let me be the first to share the news:

revJournal is back!

The press release copied below.

Many thanks to revJournal founder Alan Golub for making it all happen!

  Fourth World Media Corporation
  [hidden email]       http://www.FourthWorld.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

New revJournal.com Launched
New Look Webzine Is the Perfect Place for Revolution Developers to Hang Out

LOS ANGELES, California - 15 June, 2005
Fourth World today announced the launch of the first edition of
revJournal.com since it assumed management of the developer webzine last
month.  revJournal.com kicks off the launch with new articles from its
expanded base of editorial contributors, including tutorials and
commentary for developers using Revolution.

revJournal.com was founded in 2003 by StoryCard Software LLC to promote
the sharing of experience and resources among Revolution developers, the
multi-platform development tool from Runtime Revolution Ltd. By
appointing Richard Gaskin of Fourth World as managing editor, the
web-based publication aims to expand its range of content and can better
integrate with existing Fourth World developer services like RevNet, an
internet resource-sharing plugin for Revolution users bundled with the
Revolution product.

"Fourth World has been helping the Revolution developer community since
Revolution 1.0 was released, and revJournal.com has always been of, for,
and by Revolution developers, " said Richard Gaskin of Fourth World. "By
joining forces with revJournal.com, Fourth World can better focus our
efforts to support the Rev community with a greater range of tools,
tutorials, and other valuable resources."

"revJournal.com has always played a valuable role in supporting the
Revolution developer community," said Kevin Miller, CEO of Runtime
Revolution Ltd. "Now that revJournal.com has joined forces with Fourth
World we are sure it will become the best place on the web for
third-party Revolution resources."

revJournal.com is published for free, requiring no subscription fees or
even registration.  In addition to the new content at the site, the
expanded editorial board has more than a dozen new articles in the works
to be posted throughout the coming weeks, with new contributions
arriving weekly.  For more information on revJournal, visit
<http://www.revjournal.com>

About Fourth World Media Corporation/revJournal.com
Fourth World Media Corporation designs and develops rich-media
applications for all major operating systems and the World Wide Web.
Based in Los Angeles, Fourth World offers more than sixteen years'
experience in rapid application design and development.
<http://www.fourthworld.com>.

About Runtime Revolution
Founded in 1997, Runtime Revolution focuses on bringing user-centric
software development to all major platforms: Windows, Macintosh, Linux,
and Unix. Products include Revolution Dreamcard, Studio and Enterprise,
and Ten Thumbs Typing Tutor. The company is based in Edinburgh,
Scotland. For more information on Runtime Revolution, please visit the
company on the web at http://www.runrev.com/ or
http://www.tenthumbstypingtutor.com.

Press Contact:
Richard Gaskin
Fourth World Media Corporation
(323) 225-3717
[hidden email]

? 2005 Fourth World Media Corporation. All rights reserved worldwide.
"Fourth World" is a registered trademark of Fourth World Media
Corporation. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their
respective owners.

###

Re: [ANN] revJournal is back!

see3d
Richard,

Love the look and content of revJournal.com.
You should be very proud of this.
I will visit often.

Dennis

On Jun 15, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> It seems the press release originally scheduled to go out today is
> a bit
> late getting circulated, so let me be the first to share the news:
>
> revJournal is back!
>
> The press release copied below.
>
> Many thanks to revJournal founder Alan Golub for making it all happen!
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Media Corporation

Re: [ANN] revJournal is back!

sims
At 10:58 AM -0700 6/15/05, Richard Gaskin wrote:

>The press release copied below.
>
>Many thanks to revJournal founder Alan Golub for making it all happen!

Nice going Alan & Richard!

The RSS feed is also a great idea.

ciao,
sims

Re: [ANN] revJournal is back!

Mark Talluto

On Jun 15, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> revJournal is back!

Looks great Richard!  This is truly a useful place to visit.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

Re: [ANN] revJournal is back!

Chipp Walters
Congratulations on your launch Richard! RevJournal has been sorely
missed, and here's hoping it will flourish even more with you guiding it.

best,

Chipp

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Congratulations on your launch Richard! RevJournal has been sorely
> missed, and here's hoping it will flourish even more with you guiding it.

Thank you, Chipp.

And many thanks to both you and Dan for a well-planned conference
executed smoothly.  I know the two-track format represents additional
challenges along with all the other logistics that go into such a
program, but it all went very well and a great time was had by all.

  Managing Editor, revJournal

idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

Jim Ault
I have an idea for the coding contest, now and in the future.
Note: currently I am starting two businesses and cannot participate, so this
is a suggestion for others.

Dan Shafer made the statement in his keynote that one of the cool things
about Hypercard was that it came with example stacks that let you see what
it could do and look under the hood.  If Rev is going to make real money and
thrive, it has to appeal to customers outside the professional developers.

With that in mind, could one of the 'contest' areas be making the original
collection of stacks from Apple into Rev stacks that might include a section
on 'how they did that'?  Of course, beyond that, many of the powerful things
you could do with Rev today.

I would prefer that the Rev team work on fixing bugs than trying to come up
with a set of demo stacks.

Any interest?  I think it would help promote our favorite development
environment.
Perhaps this could get a little section in theJournal each edition.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 6/19/05 11:04 PM, "Chipp Walters" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations on your launch Richard! RevJournal has been sorely
> missed, and here's hoping it will flourish even more with you guiding it.
>
> best,
>
> Chipp
>
> Richard Gaskin wrote:
>>
>> It seems the press release originally scheduled to go out today is a bit
>> late getting circulated, so let me be the first to share the news:
>>
>> revJournal is back!
>>
>> The press release copied below.
>>
>> Many thanks to revJournal founder Alan Golub for making it all happen!

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

Sarah Reichelt
> Dan Shafer made the statement in his keynote that one of the cool
> things
> about Hypercard was that it came with example stacks that let you
> see what
> it could do and look under the hood.  If Rev is going to make real
> money and
> thrive, it has to appeal to customers outside the professional
> developers.
>
> With that in mind, could one of the 'contest' areas be making the
> original
> collection of stacks from Apple into Rev stacks that might include
> a section
> on 'how they did that'?  Of course, beyond that, many of the
> powerful things
> you could do with Rev today.

HyperCard came with 2 really useful stacks: Readymade Fields &
ReadyMade Buttons.
These gave working examples of neat things that could be copied &
pasted into your own stacks so get you doing stuff early in the
learning process.

I would like to see a Revolution Home stack which like RevOnline,
could open optionally on startup. It would contain buttons linking to
the docs, tutorials, revonline, web sites and also contain a
selection of simple objects ready to use.

Cheers,
Sarah

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

Devin Asay

On Jun 20, 2005, at 6:05 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> HyperCard came with 2 really useful stacks: Readymade Fields &
> ReadyMade Buttons.
> These gave working examples of neat things that could be copied &
> pasted into your own stacks so get you doing stuff early in the
> learning process.

Of course there is the Object Library under the Development menu that
contains some prescripted fields and buttons. It's just not as
obvious as the ones in HyperCard.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

John Ridge
on 20/6/05 3:42 pm,  Jim Ault wrote :

[...]

***********************************

I very much agree, Jim. I listened to Dan's speech, and thought he was
absolutely right. He's said it before, of course, and I blame myself for not
taking him seriously enough. I have been thinking for a while about putting
some real money into a prize contest for Rev developers of all levels of
skill and experience. This looks like a very good focus.  I should emphasise
that this is quite separate from Bjornke's coding contest, which I think is
a great idea - but directed at a different goal?

Maybe there are political difficulties - what is RunRev's attitude to
initiatives that, to be effective,  would require their support but would
not be under their control? I suspect they are pretty laid back about this,
as use-revolution itself implies - a great way to get users to do the
support work! But as Dan also said, a little more involvement from them
would make a great difference (I note that Mark has been on-list several
times lately, which is really good). Anything of the sort we are talking
about would have to be part of the free download from RunRev, and to that
extent "official". Is that a problem (a) for RunRev (b) for potential
contributors?

Sarah has also written about this recently. It's hard to recall now just how
revolutionary (OK!) Hypercard felt back in '87. But my recollection was that
you could suddenly do really neat things that looked way cool, using very
simple tools and scripts (actually, I don't think we said "way cool" back
then, but you know what I mean!).

I'm not sure that is so easy today. Instead of crude B&W graphics we must
nowadays  incorporate (for example) those wonderful buttons that Chipp
Walters is making at Altuit. There are just a whole lot more GUI features
that must be covered (sliders, progressbars, colour icons, players...), and
of course they all need to be genuinely x-platform (how many flavours of
Unix do you need to test on?).

Error-catching seems to me a much bigger deal than it was with Hypercard -
and a demo stack just has to be bullet-proof. Unfortunately (I gather from
real developers) this is where a major part of the hard work of development
goes - the parts that are not fun or glamorous...

Would people be interested in doing such work? Would new users get enough
out of the results? Do you remember Bill Atkinson's original Rolodex address
book? Each card had the little holes at the bottom for the metal thingummies
to go through... What would a 2005 version look like? My first thought is
that if it doesn't look grreat on WinXP then forget it. I'm impressed by
"Scripters Scrapbook" - in 1988 I wrote, and still use, a similar gadget -
but my GUI is just pathetic in comparison. How much effort is that worth, in
this context?

For me this is a real dilemma. I would love to commission or sponsor some
beautiful software - I mean literally beautiful, as in the Tres Riches
Heures du Duc de Berry, whatever the 2005 equivalent is - but I'm also
concerned that Revolution out of the box is not, as Dan put it, "seductive".
Maybe these goals are not compatible?

Apologies for going on at such length. I'm thinking aloud, which is usually
not a good idea when people are listening! Perhaps off-list feedback is
preferable...

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

J. Landman Gay
On 6/21/05 2:08 PM, John Ridge wrote:

> Maybe there are political difficulties - what is RunRev's attitude to
> initiatives that, to be effective,  would require their support but would
> not be under their control? I suspect they are pretty laid back about this,
> as use-revolution itself implies - a great way to get users to do the
> support work! But as Dan also said, a little more involvement from them
> would make a great difference (I note that Mark has been on-list several
> times lately, which is really good). Anything of the sort we are talking
> about would have to be part of the free download from RunRev, and to that
> extent "official". Is that a problem (a) for RunRev (b) for potential
> contributors?

No problem with it at all, I don't think. Sandy Beadle was talking to me
about porting over the old HC example stacks and she talked to Kevin
about it at the Monterey conference. He was fully supportive. I
encouraged her to do it, and in those cases where the scripts or
examples were outdated, to create new ones. She is seriously considering it.

To avoid duplication of effort, anyone who wants to help with this
project should probably get in touch with Sandy. If she's on this list,
maybe she will respond.

on 21/6/05 8:17 pm,  J. Landman Gay wrote :

On 6/21/05 2:08 PM, John Ridge wrote:

> Maybe there are political difficulties - what is RunRev's attitude to
> initiatives that, to be effective,  would require their support but would
> not be under their control? I suspect they are pretty laid back about this,
> as use-revolution itself implies - a great way to get users to do the
> support work! But as Dan also said, a little more involvement from them
> would make a great difference (I note that Mark has been on-list several
> times lately, which is really good). Anything of the sort we are talking
> about would have to be part of the free download from RunRev, and to that
> extent "official". Is that a problem (a) for RunRev (b) for potential
> contributors?

No problem with it at all, I don't think. Sandy Beadle was talking to me
about porting over the old HC example stacks and she talked to Kevin
about it at the Monterey conference. He was fully supportive. I
encouraged her to do it, and in those cases where the scripts or
examples were outdated, to create new ones. She is seriously considering it.

To avoid duplication of effort, anyone who wants to help with this
project should probably get in touch with Sandy. If she's on this list,
maybe she will respond.

Sounds promising! Come in Sandy Beadle...

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

Marielle Lange
>No problem with it at all, I don't think. Sandy Beadle was talking to me
>about porting over the old HC example stacks and she talked to Kevin
>about it at the Monterey conference. He was fully supportive. I
>encouraged her to do it, and in those cases where the scripts or
>examples were outdated, to create new ones. She is seriously considering it.

>To avoid duplication of effort, anyone who wants to help with this
>project should probably get in touch with Sandy. If she's on this list,
>maybe she will respond.

>Sounds promising! Come in Sandy Beadle...

Glad to see members of the use-revolution also come up with this proposal... We
had similar talks on the education list. See under the "abstracts" heading at:
<http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=RevolutionProjects>
(text reproduced below for convenience).

But to prevent duplication, it is necessary to have some co-ordination taking
place. If this can be of help, I will gladly offer a space on the wiki to help
with this (can create a subgroup of users, with dedicated pages, dedicated
forum, dedicated ftp account, dedicated image gallery, to share resources
within the group, with upload authorizations based on group membership or
project administrator status). However,I am personally not in a position to
take care of the co-ordination of this initiative.

great to have a book helping to rapidly get to grasp with revolution and its
use in education. I would enjoy doing this but I do not have enough free time
to do it alone. That's probably the same for most of you.
* Why not try to produce it collaboratively (open source)?
* What is your opinion on the idea of a book, of what such a book should
contain? Should it be text-based. Should it rather contain a lot of pre-coded
and easy to adapt stacks? Should we try to produce a revolution application
that combines an exercise editor combined with a tutorial sheet that describes
what each exercise is known to achieve (learning theories)?
* As a busy educator, what resources do you need to help you quick started with
revolution?
* Express your views!

Re: idea: Contest and promoting Rev to the world

Jim Ault
Very good response, John Ridge,

(my comments summarized at top, specific comments below)
I like many of the things you said.  Not rambling in my opinion.

-1- It is not fair to think that true gurus on this list can waste time on
building the 'demo' stacks we are talking about.

-2- A seductive tool could be to use ONE REV STACK>cards-groups to present
the sparse utilitarian interface as the first card, then the new user goes
to card 2 for better look-and-feel, and each card adds features/GUI items
that show how a simple idea that should take one weekend, can become a
whiz-bang work of art.

-3- slogan could be "Where do you want to go this weekend?"

-3a- tome could be "If Monks had Macs they'd of yearned for Revolution"

-4- Of course, the last card could be done by Scott Rossi, or someone like
him, to demonstrate the high-art form possible with graphics.

-5- The recent clock evolution on this list could be captured in a stack
showing the different solutions and issues, and the Wow factor, mixing in
the story telling talent of Brian Thomas (of  If Monks had Macs
http://rivertext.com/monks.html)

I agree that we should support Sandy Beadle by testing stacks and
compilations, offering techniques to be installed.  If a stack takes your
interest, Sandy could 'assign' it to you as the shepherd through the
different versions and take some of the work load.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 6/21/05 12:08 PM, "John Ridge" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I very much agree, Jim. I listened to Dan's speech, and thought he was
> absolutely right. He's said it before, of course, and I blame myself for not
> taking him seriously enough. I have been thinking for a while about putting
> some real money into a prize contest for Rev developers of all levels of
> skill and experience.
Perhaps sponsoring a winner(s) to the next RevCon would get a nibble.
>This looks like a very good focus.  I should emphasise
> that this is quite separate from Bjornke's coding contest, which I think is
> a great idea - but directed at a different goal?
Yes, a different goal, and an important one.
> my recollection was that
> you could suddenly do really neat things that looked way cool, using very
> simple tools and scripts ..

> Error-catching seems to me a much bigger deal than it was with Hypercard -
> and a demo stack just has to be bullet-proof. Unfortunately (I gather from
> real developers) this is where a major part of the hard work of development
> goes - the parts that are not fun or glamorous...
Much of the beginner show and tell would be tried-and-true items.  Not much
need for debugging on that level.
> For me this is a real dilemma. I would love to commission or sponsor some
> beautiful software - I mean literally beautiful, as in the Tres Riches
> Heures du Duc de Berry, whatever the 2005 equivalent is ...
Perhaps co-sponsor with the Rev team.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas