ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi All,

Starting from August 2018 for new apps and November 2018 for existing apps,
Google will force developers to set the targetSdkVersion to 26+:
<https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-an
d-performance.html>
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/12/improving-app-security-and
-performance.html

Cheers,

Erik

Re: ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
One problem this may introduce is that from Android 6 onwards you’re expected to only ask permission to use features at the time the user reaches that part of your app, like it has always been on iOS. I wrote about publishing to Android before Android 6, I’m not sure how that gets handled. Are there features in LiveCode to cover the difficulty of asking for permission at runtime instead of when the app is installed?

On 2018-07-26 06:02, Colin Holgate via use-livecode wrote:
> One problem this may introduce is that from Android 6 onwards you’re
> expected to only ask permission to use features at the time the user
> reaches that part of your app, like it has always been on iOS. I wrote
> about publishing to Android before Android 6, I’m not sure how that
> gets handled. Are there features in LiveCode to cover the difficulty
> of asking for permission at runtime instead of when the app is
> installed?

9.0.1-rc-1 changes the engine to build against the appropriate minimum
now so
we are almost there.

However, we had noticed the above - admittedly due to a regression in
9.0.1-rc-1 with
regards to the camera - so we have (well Panos) has been working hard to
resolve that.

We're putting implicit permission requests in all the places that need
them
(which parallels how iOS has been since around iOS8), and are intending
on
adding a new android-specific command so you can request appropriate
permissions
at any point before needing them to ensure apps can be designed to work
nicely
regardless of what the user wants access to.

So thanks for the heads-up - we are working on it!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. We could look into doing something similar with iOS with regards
explicitly
being able to ask for permission for things - in a similar way proposed
above. If
people feel there is a need for it, please file an enhancement request
and we'll
see what we can do. (At the moment we propose to add an
androidRequestPermission
command - but we could add an iphone one too at some point, and then
perhaps a
cross-platform one which tries to do its best to map the permission
groups on android
to the similar things on iOS).

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Another regression I noticed is that I am back to red dot breakpoints clearing after a script save/compile. The dots are there but the script does not break. Unsetting and resetting causes the debugger to break again.

Bob S

On 07/27/2018 09:13 AM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:

> P.S. We could look into doing something similar with iOS with regards
> explicitly
> being able to ask for permission for things - in a similar way proposed
> above. If
> people feel there is a need for it, please file an enhancement request
> and we'll
> see what we can do. (At the moment we propose to add an
> androidRequestPermission
> command - but we could add an iphone one too at some point, and then
> perhaps a
> cross-platform one which tries to do its best to map the permission
> groups on android
> to the similar things on iOS).

Q: Why would it not make sense to add a mobileRequestPermission command
instead at this point and have it work on Android now with the option of
also having it work on iOS later on? This rather than two different
commands and *then* later on make a cross-platform one? If necessary for
engine code compartmentalization there could be two non-exported
commands for the different platforms and only export the mobile one.

Re: ANN: *** targetSdkVersion requirements Android ***

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Because before you can have a cross platform anything (which is tied to specific OS features) you need the things to call which perform the appropriate action on the individual platforms.

The patterns for 'getting user consent' on android and iOS are similar (because they are both about 'getting user consent') but not identical.

The immediate issue is android so we implement that now.

It may or may not be useful on iOS - that is yet to be determined.

If it is then we add iphoneRequestPermission...

And then mobileRequestPermission can be an LCS handler which maps whatever universal permission groups exist from universal names to platform specific names.

The bit which must be in a lower level language at present goes in the engine - the bit which doesn't need to be, goes in LCS.

Platform dependent stuff has to be done from the bottom up to have any chance of being correct (essentially) - and it's better to expose the lower level features that build cross platform support and build the cross platform aspect in a language where iteration to get it right is far far easier (i.e. LCS). [ And, indeed more accessible to anyone who knows LCS ].

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Given that requesting user permissions is a UI interaction the overhead of LCS here is entirely irrelevant.

Sent from my iPhone

On 07/27/2018 04:12 PM, Mark Waddingham via use-livecode wrote:
> Because before you can have a cross platform anything (which is tied to specific OS features) you need the things to call which perform the appropriate action on the individual platforms.

Not necessarily. I often stub out functions and then flesh them out as I
go. I realize you're going to do it your way anyway, just was curious
about the reasoning. No worries.