Quantcast

AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Tiemo,

LC Script gives you only the possibility to have a rotated _image_
of "real" horizontal text.

In LC Builder you have the possibility for rotating "real" horizontal
text itself (use your font and size), not only a snapshot.

Here is an easy example how to do that
http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=148690#p148690

This is an lcb file (it has to be the only lcb-file in its folder.
Then open it in the 'Extensions Builder' and hit "Test").
Create your own widget from it.

Hermann

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind the "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 12, 2017, at 10:02 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tiemo,
>
> LC Script gives you only the possibility to have a rotated _image_
> of "real" horizontal text.
>
> In LC Builder you have the possibility for rotating "real" horizontal
> text itself (use your font and size), not only a snapshot.
>
> Here is an easy example how to do that
> http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?p=148690#p148690
>
> This is an lcb file (it has to be the only lcb-file in its folder.
> Then open it in the 'Extensions Builder' and hit "Test").
> Create your own widget from it.
>
> Hermann

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
> Jonathan L. wrote:
> This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind
> the "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.

Right, but only to a certain degree.

LC Builder has _a lot_ of possibilities different from using the
javascript of a browser widget.

The very basic widget linked above, for example ...
... allows the user to select _any_ textfont on _his_ system
or available in the stack.
... can have everything outside the rotated box transparent.

Both is not doable in a browser widget (and not by _any_ browser).

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Having rotated text with transparent backgrounds could be very nice :)

I was just suggesting the browser widget as the cheap and easy way.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2017, at 10:37 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Jonathan L. wrote:
>> This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind
>> the "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.
>
> Right, but only to a certain degree.
>
> LC Builder has _a lot_ of possibilities different from using the
> javascript of a browser widget.
>
> The very basic widget linked above, for example ...
> ... allows the user to select _any_ textfont on _his_ system
> or available in the stack.
> ... can have everything outside the rotated box transparent.
>
> Both is not doable in a browser widget (and not by _any_ browser).

RE: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Not sure if this is of any help, but I came across a course by Livecode where they guide you through creating a rotating text Widget.

https://livecode.com/courses/extension-course/  | https://livecode.com/lessons/rotated-text-widget/

You might need to be logged into LC page

Having rotated text with transparent backgrounds could be very nice :)

I was just suggesting the browser widget as the cheap and easy way.

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 12, 2017, at 10:37 AM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Jonathan L. wrote:
>> This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind the
>> "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.
>
> Right, but only to a certain degree.
>
> LC Builder has _a lot_ of possibilities different from using the
> javascript of a browser widget.
>
> The very basic widget linked above, for example ...
> ... allows the user to select _any_ textfont on _his_ system or
> available in the stack.
> ... can have everything outside the rotated box transparent.
>
> Both is not doable in a browser widget (and not by _any_ browser).

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
That's nice, but text angle should come as standard a field property (in my
opinion).  There are many use cases for field labels or table headers to
sit on an angle for screen space consideration.

~Roger

hh wrote:
 >> Jonathan L. wrote:
 >> This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind
 >> the "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.
 >
 > Right, but only to a certain degree.
 >
 > LC Builder has _a lot_ of possibilities different from using the
 > javascript of a browser widget.
 >
 > The very basic widget linked above, for example ...
 > ... allows the user to select _any_ textfont on _his_ system
 > or available in the stack.
 > ... can have everything outside the rotated box transparent.
 >
 > Both is not doable in a browser widget (and not by _any_ browser).

No to mention that using a browser widget means adding an entire browser
process to your LiveCode application.

It's great when you truly need an embedded web browser, but for small
one-offs like this I'd be reluctant to add the extra RAM and disk space
requirements.

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
This is really the first mention I've seen of the resource requirements of
certain widgets.  Assuming that overhead is minimal just because it is so
darn easy to add to a stack will be our downfall.  :)

~Roger

On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> hh wrote:
> >> Jonathan L. wrote:
> >> This is also easy to do in a browser widget, if you don't mind
> >> the "always on top" aspect of browser widgets.
> >
> > Right, but only to a certain degree.
> >
> > LC Builder has _a lot_ of possibilities different from using the
> > javascript of a browser widget.
> >
> > The very basic widget linked above, for example ...
> > ... allows the user to select _any_ textfont on _his_ system
> > or available in the stack.
> > ... can have everything outside the rotated box transparent.
> >
> > Both is not doable in a browser widget (and not by _any_ browser).
>
> No to mention that using a browser widget means adding an entire browser
> process to your LiveCode application.
>
> It's great when you truly need an embedded web browser, but for small
> one-offs like this I'd be reluctant to add the extra RAM and disk space
> requirements.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Roger Eller wrote:

 >> It's great when you truly need an embedded web browser, but for small
 >> one-offs like this I'd be reluctant to add the extra RAM and disk
 >> space requirements.
 >
 > This is really the first mention I've seen of the resource
 > requirements of certain widgets.

Most widgets use only what's in the LiveCode engine, and don't carry
much additional overhead beyond what we might expect for the respective
elements involved (images, code, etc.).

The browser widget is a very special case, since it's an entire browser
application embedded within your app.

On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any browser I
would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements for an app using it.

When you need an embedded browser it's awesome.  It's just a lot to add
if you only need small things like rotated text, which can be handled
well with LC Script or LC Builder in same process your app is already
running in.

 > Assuming that overhead is minimal just because it is so
 > darn easy to add to a stack will be our downfall.  :)

macOS is so easy to use it must fit on a single floppy. :)

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
> Richard G. wrote:
> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any browser I
> would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements for an app using it.

I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the browser
widget work on linux ...

Re: AW: vertical text?

prothero--- via use-livecode
hh wrote:

 >> Richard G. wrote:
 >> On disk the Linux build of CEF takes up 135 MBs, and like any
 >> browser I would imagine it more than doubles RAM requirements
 >> for an app using it.
 >
 > I would even give a full Gigabyte of RAM if this could make the
 > browser widget work on linux ...

I've had pretty good luck on Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit - what's your setup?