Abysmal Sound on Windows?

ScottR
Anyone have any secrets for playing audioClips asynchronously with event
messages (not other sounds) on Windows?

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems the audio capabilities of Rev are
getting worse.  I have a stack with a bunch of large image buttons that is
supposed to play a short click sound upon mouseEnter on the buttons,
combined with visual feedback of the button slightly enlarging.  The stack
works relatively flawlessly on OS X, but moving it over to Vista, it seems
that playing audioclips is essentially locking up mouseEnter until the
audioclip has finished, and the buttons respond like they're swimming in
molasses.  Disabling the sound playback causes the buttons to respond
normally.

I tried moving the sound playback into its own handler and using "send
in..." to play the audioclip (with the hope of achieving semi-asynchronous
playback), but the molasses behavior is the same.  I tried using a player,
which allows the buttons to respond normally to mouseEnter, but it takes a
good second before the player starts and the sound plays!  Tried restarting
the entire system -- no change.

Any other options I can try?  Is my only option to disable audio feedback
for the Windows platform?

I've been harping on Rev's (lack of) audio support for years, and I thought
I was playing it safe by avoiding players and using imported auidioClips.
It seems I was mistaken.  Apparently Rev can't even handle playback of
simple sound effects without bogging down to near non-usability.  [sigh]

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Colin Holgate-2
When using other tools, and getting choppy sound on Windows, one place to check is in the Audio part of the QuickTime preferences. Make sure it's set to use the normal WAV player, and not using hardware.

Failing that, try the opposite approach outlined here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1362

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

ScottR
Recently, Colin Holgate wrote:

> When using other tools, and getting choppy sound on Windows, one place to
> check is in the Audio part of the QuickTime preferences. Make sure it's set to
> use the normal WAV player, and not using hardware.
>
> Failing that, try the opposite approach outlined here:
>
> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1362

Thanks for the suggestions Colin but the stack I'm building is for public
use -- messing around with a QT control panel (if indeed there is one) won't
be a viable option.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Colin Holgate-2

On Jun 4, 2010, at 8:54 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions Colin but the stack I'm building is for public
> use -- messing around with a QT control panel (if indeed there is one) won't
> be a viable option.

Might be worth trying anyway, so that you can tell people how to fix it. If that's what it turns out to be, I don't think there's anything you can do in your stack that could fix it. If it was Director, you could change to use another sound manager.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

J. Landman Gay
Scott Rossi wrote:
> Anyone have any secrets for playing audioClips asynchronously with event
> messages (not other sounds) on Windows?

In my Blocks game I use an audioclip and it takes a good couple of
seconds to load a short click sound the first time. There's a very
decided delay. After the first playback it works normally from then on.
As soon as I leave the card, the sound gets dumped and when I return to
the card it has to load all over again. If that's what's affecting you,
then I imagine the loading is blocking any other activity while it's
happening. Audio clips are very old technology and I don't think they've
been updated since RR took over the engine; players are supposedly the
way to go now.

As a test, you might try playing the clip on opencard or manually from
the message box, just to see if preloading fixes it. If so, then we can
try to figure out how to fake a preload. I thought there was a command
for that, but I don't see it.

If you're getting the same problem each time you click the button
(without changing cards,) not just the first time, then that may not be
what's wrong. My delay happens on OS X too.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

ScottR
Recently, Colin Holgate wrote:

>> Thanks for the suggestions Colin but the stack I'm building is for public
>> use -- messing around with a QT control panel (if indeed there is one) won't
>> be a viable option.
>

> Might be worth trying anyway, so that you can tell people how to fix it.

For educational reasons, sure, but having a user change settings purely for
feedback purposes is asking a bit much.

> If
> that's what it turns out to be, I don't think there's anything you can do in
> your stack that could fix it. If it was Director, you could change to use
> another sound manager.

Sadly, I will also probably using Flash to play video in the stack, since
there doesn't seem to be any other good non-QT cross-platform video format.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Stephen Barncard-4
how about html5 with flash backup? This is the current rave. I understand
about 40% of browsers can do this.

http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/audio.php

friends don't let friends use Flash.

Have you seen these Tech Demos for HTML5 at the apple site?

http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/

Amazing stuff.

On 4 June 2010 22:17, Scott Rossi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sadly, I will also probably using Flash to play video in the stack, since
> there doesn't seem to be any other good non-QT cross-platform video format.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi
> Creative Director
> Tactile Media, UX Design

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Dave Cragg-2

On 5 Jun 2010, at 06:54, stephen barncard wrote:

> Have you seen these Tech Demos for HTML5 at the apple site?
>
> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>
> Amazing stuff.

And amazing irony. A great showcase for web standards, so long as you install Safari. Try a demo on Firefox, and we're asked to install Safari. A look at a couple of the demos (typography and transitions) shows a lot of css stuff with "-webkit" in the properties.

Friends don't let friends tie themselves to a particular browser. :-)

Dave_______________________________________________

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Brian Yennie
A bit ironic, but understandable at this point. HTML 5 may be the future, but the standard itself isn't even final yet. A bit hard to produce a cross-browser tech demo when all of the vendors are still in the middle of implementing a moving target.

The -webkit stuff is more a reflection of things being in flux than an indication that these are Safari-specific extensions.

With that said, it *would* be cool if HTML 5 would get here all ready and succeed in bringing unprecedented compatibility =)

> On 5 Jun 2010, at 06:54, stephen barncard wrote:
>
>> Have you seen these Tech Demos for HTML5 at the apple site?
>>
>> http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/
>>
>> Amazing stuff.
>
> And amazing irony. A great showcase for web standards, so long as you install Safari. Try a demo on Firefox, and we're asked to install Safari. A look at a couple of the demos (typography and transitions) shows a lot of css stuff with "-webkit" in the properties.
>
> Friends don't let friends tie themselves to a particular browser. :-)
>

> Dave_______________________________________________

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Colin Holgate-2
Someone nicely summed up the browser craziness with this image:

http://i.imgur.com/cT08B.png

As for saying anything against Flash, if you go along with what Steve says about Flash, you should also stop using Rev.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Stephen Barncard-4
Sorry to reveal my less-than-informed research re players. I'm still looking
for a better way to do web playback, and without flash. I think Scott was
looking at desktop solutions.

I am checking out a PHP
player<http://download.cnet.com/MP3-Web-Player/3000-10248_4-10528817.html?tag=mncol>now.

On 5 June 2010 05:38, Colin Holgate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Someone nicely summed up the browser craziness with this image:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/cT08B.png
>
> As for saying anything against Flash, if you go along with what Steve says
> about Flash, you should also stop using Rev.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 06/05/2010 06:05 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> Sorry to reveal my less-than-informed research re players. I'm still looking
> for a better way to do web playback, and without flash. I think Scott was
> looking at desktop solutions.
>
> I am checking out a PHP
> player<http://download.cnet.com/MP3-Web-Player/3000-10248_4-10528817.html?tag=mncol>now.
>
> On 5 June 2010 05:38, Colin Holgate<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>

>> Someone nicely summed up the browser craziness with this image:
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/cT08B.png
>>
>> As for saying anything against Flash, if you go along with what Steve says
>> about Flash, you should also stop using Rev.
>>

>> __

Hmm: if you go along with what Steve says about Flash, you should also stop
using just about everything: soap, toothpaste, water???? unless it is on the
"Steve approves" list . . . . . . anybody know why Vaisnava Hindus won't
use toothpaste???

because it contains animal shell; not veggie enough. [off-topic fact
number 108 in the 'Richmond
Collection' of facts to annoy use-list users with].

However, as Steve is not (at least as far as I know) a guru in a
recognised spiritual
tradition with an apostolic succession stretching back into the misty
past; and, no
guru worth his/her salt is going to be THAT heavy, count me out for the
queue to
become some sort of unthinking chela.

Even if only for the reason that we have brains which are capable (for
some odd reason
that folks like Steve may be unable to appreciate) of making informed
choices (and, sadly,
uninformed ones).

I will not pretend to understand the real reason (although I have
already written some
cr*p on the subject on this list) why Steve is anti-Flash. But, until he
explains in terms that
I can understand (that will have to be fairly simplistic) I won't even
entertain rejecting it.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Stephen Barncard-4
I just want my 'stuff' to run everywhere, all the time, that's all.

ha ha --  I know I'm the delusional one.

On 5 June 2010 09:31, Richmond <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 06/05/2010 06:05 PM, stephen barncard wrote:
>
>> Sorry to reveal my less-than-informed research re players. I'm still
>> looking
>> for a better way to do web playback, and without flash. I think Scott was
>> looking at desktop solutions.
>>
>> I am checking out a PHP
>> player<
>> http://download.cnet.com/MP3-Web-Player/3000-10248_4-10528817.html?tag=mncol
>> >now.
>>

>> On 5 June 2010 05:38, Colin Holgate<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>

>>> Someone nicely summed up the browser craziness with this image:
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/cT08B.png
>>>
>>> As for saying anything against Flash, if you go along with what Steve
>>> says
>>> about Flash, you should also stop using Rev.
>>>

>>> __
>>>

> Hmm: if you go along with what Steve says about Flash, you should also stop
> using just about everything: soap, toothpaste, water???? unless it is on
> the
> "Steve approves" list . . . . . . anybody know why Vaisnava Hindus won't
> use toothpaste???
>
> because it contains animal shell; not veggie enough. [off-topic fact number
> 108 in the 'Richmond
> Collection' of facts to annoy use-list users with].
>
> However, as Steve is not (at least as far as I know) a guru in a recognised
> spiritual
> tradition with an apostolic succession stretching back into the misty past;
> and, no
> guru worth his/her salt is going to be THAT heavy, count me out for the
> queue to
> become some sort of unthinking chela.
>
> Even if only for the reason that we have brains which are capable (for some
> odd reason
> that folks like Steve may be unable to appreciate) of making informed
> choices (and, sadly,
> uninformed ones).
>
> I will not pretend to understand the real reason (although I have already
> written some
> cr*p on the subject on this list) why Steve is anti-Flash. But, until he
> explains in terms that
> I can understand (that will have to be fairly simplistic) I won't even
> entertain rejecting it.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

Robert Mann
What format are the original audio files?

I use mp3 that I import as videoclips instead of audio clips

But I have not tested this on vista...

Some windows platform might not treat aiff files as naturally as wave.

Re: Abysmal Sound on Windows?

ScottR
As far as I know, Rev will not be able to play those imported files unless QuickTime is installed.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, UX Design