Accelerated Rendering -- When to use it, When not to use it

Accelerated Rendering -- When to use it, When not to use it

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I am trying to get my head around acceleratedRendering.

Especially in a case where we are re-drawing the screen run time--use case:

in games where objects move around. Either under user control or pre-scripted moves.

The dictionary is too lean on this entry. It should tell us

"How the accelerated rendering effects redraws of the pixel map….

  *   A guide why and when to set to it to True or False"

This has been covered here in the past, sure would be nice to document it

BR

Re: Accelerated Rendering -- When to use it, When not to use it

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Please be advised that at the moment, accelerate rendering only works on
the first group layer, meaning that a control inside a group inside a group
no longer gets 'accelerated rendering.  Layer mode is important too.

However, this is getting fixed ANY DAY now :)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:23 AM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to get my head around acceleratedRendering.
>
> Especially in a case where we are re-drawing the screen run time--use case:
>
> in games where objects move around. Either under user control or
> pre-scripted moves.
>
> The dictionary is too lean on this entry. It should tell us
>
> "How the accelerated rendering effects redraws of the pixel map….
>
>   *   A guide why and when to set to it to True or False"
>
> This has been covered here in the past, sure would be nice to document it
>
> BR

Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I have a Macintosh stack that I have set the
Application Icon and the Small Application Icon
to .png icons on a card.  They work fine in the IDE.
(MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, LC 9.0.1)

When I create a Standalone and test it.  It works
fine and they show up in my ask and answer dialogs.

After packaging everything up in the Terminal I end up
with a package that installs just fine.  The standalone
from that package works fine on my development
computer - (MacBook Pro.)

I copied the package to a USB Thumb-drive.  I then
plugged it into another older iMac running El-Capitan
to test it. The package installs the app just fine.
The app runs fine except that now the ask and answer
dialogs do not display the icons!

Also of interest, I had set the Destroy-stack property
set to true so that when the user quits the application
the application doesn’t stay in memory.  (I tried this
stack on a new mac mini running Mojave too, (yes
I know that LC doesn’t officially support Mojave yet
but I thought I would try it anyway.))  The app ran
fine except for the icon problem again, and this time
when I quit the application, the icon down in the dock
that shows running applications never went away
even after the app quit.  It looks like Destroy-stack
isn’t working.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
I'm not sure if this applies fully to your case ......i remember building
mac standalones and having to manually replace the standalone icns icon in
the resources folder.  u can tell which one needs replacing because the
byte size of the icon is 0.

but i used to set the application icon in the standalone settings.  maybe
the problems are related.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a Macintosh stack that I have set the
> Application Icon and the Small Application Icon
> to .png icons on a card.  They work fine in the IDE.
> (MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, LC 9.0.1)
>
> When I create a Standalone and test it.  It works
> fine and they show up in my ask and answer dialogs.
>
> After packaging everything up in the Terminal I end up
> with a package that installs just fine.  The standalone
> from that package works fine on my development
> computer - (MacBook Pro.)
>
> I copied the package to a USB Thumb-drive.  I then
> plugged it into another older iMac running El-Capitan
> to test it. The package installs the app just fine.
> The app runs fine except that now the ask and answer
> dialogs do not display the icons!
>
> Also of interest, I had set the Destroy-stack property
> set to true so that when the user quits the application
> the application doesn’t stay in memory.  (I tried this
> stack on a new mac mini running Mojave too, (yes
> I know that LC doesn’t officially support Mojave yet
> but I thought I would try it anyway.))  The app ran
> fine except for the icon problem again, and this time
> when I quit the application, the icon down in the dock
> that shows running applications never went away
> even after the app quit.  It looks like Destroy-stack
> isn’t working.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Re: Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Tom,

I just checked the size of the icns icon in the resources folder,
and it says it is 2.9mb in size so I’m assuming that is probably OK.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Rick

> On Nov 21, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if this applies fully to your case ......i remember building
> mac standalones and having to manually replace the standalone icns icon in
> the resources folder.  u can tell which one needs replacing because the
> byte size of the icon is 0.
>
> but i used to set the application icon in the standalone settings.  maybe
> the problems are related.
>
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I have a Macintosh stack that I have set the
>> Application Icon and the Small Application Icon
>> to .png icons on a card.  They work fine in the IDE.
>> (MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, LC 9.0.1)
>>
>> When I create a Standalone and test it.  It works
>> fine and they show up in my ask and answer dialogs.
>>
>> After packaging everything up in the Terminal I end up
>> with a package that installs just fine.  The standalone
>> from that package works fine on my development
>> computer - (MacBook Pro.)
>>
>> I copied the package to a USB Thumb-drive.  I then
>> plugged it into another older iMac running El-Capitan
>> to test it. The package installs the app just fine.
>> The app runs fine except that now the ask and answer
>> dialogs do not display the icons!
>>
>> Also of interest, I had set the Destroy-stack property
>> set to true so that when the user quits the application
>> the application doesn’t stay in memory.  (I tried this
>> stack on a new mac mini running Mojave too, (yes
>> I know that LC doesn’t officially support Mojave yet
>> but I thought I would try it anyway.))  The app ran
>> fine except for the icon problem again, and this time
>> when I quit the application, the icon down in the dock
>> that shows running applications never went away
>> even after the app quit.  It looks like Destroy-stack
>> isn’t working.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

Re: Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Rick....unfortunately I don't even own a mac at the moment so I am
afraid I cannot be of much help...but knowing this community, someone else
will come along soon :)

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 3:43 PM Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I just checked the size of the icns icon in the resources folder,
> and it says it is 2.9mb in size so I’m assuming that is probably OK.
>
> Other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick
>
> > On Nov 21, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure if this applies fully to your case ......i remember building
> > mac standalones and having to manually replace the standalone icns icon
> in
> > the resources folder.  u can tell which one needs replacing because the
> > byte size of the icon is 0.
> >
> > but i used to set the application icon in the standalone settings.  maybe
> > the problems are related.
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM Rick Harrison via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Macintosh stack that I have set the
> >> Application Icon and the Small Application Icon
> >> to .png icons on a card.  They work fine in the IDE.
> >> (MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, LC 9.0.1)
> >>
> >> When I create a Standalone and test it.  It works
> >> fine and they show up in my ask and answer dialogs.
> >>
> >> After packaging everything up in the Terminal I end up
> >> with a package that installs just fine.  The standalone
> >> from that package works fine on my development
> >> computer - (MacBook Pro.)
> >>
> >> I copied the package to a USB Thumb-drive.  I then
> >> plugged it into another older iMac running El-Capitan
> >> to test it. The package installs the app just fine.
> >> The app runs fine except that now the ask and answer
> >> dialogs do not display the icons!
> >>
> >> Also of interest, I had set the Destroy-stack property
> >> set to true so that when the user quits the application
> >> the application doesn’t stay in memory.  (I tried this
> >> stack on a new mac mini running Mojave too, (yes
> >> I know that LC doesn’t officially support Mojave yet
> >> but I thought I would try it anyway.))  The app ran
> >> fine except for the icon problem again, and this time
> >> when I quit the application, the icon down in the dock
> >> that shows running applications never went away
> >> even after the app quit.  It looks like Destroy-stack
> >> isn’t working.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Rick

Re: Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
lol..you know what....2.9 megs for a icon seems awefully big...... try
smaller files. ???? shot in the dark literally.

On 11/21/18 11:25 AM, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:
> I have a Macintosh stack that I have set the
> Application Icon and the Small Application Icon
> to .png icons on a card.  They work fine in the IDE.
> (MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra, LC 9.0.1)
>
> I copied the package to a USB Thumb-drive.  I then
> plugged it into another older iMac running El-Capitan
> to test it. The package installs the app just fine.
> The app runs fine except that now the ask and answer
> dialogs do not display the icons!

Do the images use referenced files or are they actually imported into
the stack? I've always used imported images.

Re: Mac Standalone/Pkg Weirdness

Pi Digital via use-livecode
Hi Jacqueline,

I used import image as control, so