Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hello,

I really need to be able to paste text in an LC field on mobile.

I can do it for iOS with the sunny text to speech external, but that external has an audio message that comes on when the app first opens, which would be rather confusing for users.

I have so far avoided LC builder because I felt I needed better documentation to learn it in the limited free time that I have. It seems like LC has provided some more tutorials now.

Here are my questions:

1. Can a widget (or library file) give us access to the clipboard on mobile devices?

2. Are there any other existing externals that can do this?

My app is almost ready to submit, but it feels like the user should be able to paste content directly into the content field, which for other reasons cannot be a native field.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

jonathandlynch wrote:

 > I really need to be able to paste text in an LC field on mobile.

Funded and in development:
<https://livecode.com/project/infinite-livecode-native-field-object/>

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Well,
I don't need a special field, I just need access to the clipboard. Do you know of any other externals that allow that?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 2, 2017, at 10:46 AM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> jonathandlynch wrote:
>
> > I really need to be able to paste text in an LC field on mobile.
>
> Funded and in development:
> <https://livecode.com/project/infinite-livecode-native-field-object/>
>
> --
> Richard Gaskin
> Fourth World Systems

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
@Jonathan.
Why dont't you simply use one single server-side HTML5 page to get
reports and upload images?

Has moreover the advantage that you can update the page (incl. the
method and targets used therein) without having to update your apps.

From that reason I would even prefer it to rawClipboardData.

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I have been thinking a lot about that...

I like having the ability to have images inside a field in LC, something that both HTML and native fields do not do readily.

A user can enter text, add a picture, and enter more text. It is simple and intuitive this way.

That said, with an HTML form I could have a lot more stuff - but I do not know if more is better for this.

Honestly, I think I am feeling some pedantic peevishness over not being able access the clipboard, and that is coloring my judgment.

I am pretty sure I could grab an existing iOS external, edit it to add in copy and paste functions from Xcode, and use that. I have done something similar, with a different functionality, in the past.

That would not help with android, though. An HTML solution would work fine with android.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 2, 2017, at 1:56 PM, hh via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Jonathan.
> Why dont't you simply use one single server-side HTML5 page to get
> reports and upload images?
>
> Has moreover the advantage that you can update the page (incl. the
> method and targets used therein) without having to update your apps.
>
> From that reason I would even prefer it to rawClipboardData.

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Hi Hermann,

It turns out we can have a div with editable content in html5.

For version 1.1 or 1.2, I might figure out how to make a full content form in HTML, including an editable div, which accepts both text and images.

For now, I created a special input in HTML5 to allow pasting into the content field. It is a little weird to go into a special mode just to paste, but this will work in both iOS and Android.

Sent from my iPhone

:

Hello,

> I really need to be able to paste text in an LC field on mobile.
>
> I can do it for iOS with the sunny text to speech external,

​Great!

> but that external has an audio message that comes on when the app first
> opens
> ​...

This audio message is telling you that you have a Trial-Demo version
of sunnYtext2speech external.

There is *no audio message with the licensed one*!

This is the only difference between the Trial and the licensed version.

Regards,

Thierry

Re: Advice on copying and pasting in mobile

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Oh - I will buy the licensed one. Can I get it now?

Sent from my iPhone