Android Sleep

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
I was testing in my app in Android. I kept getting "blank screens"

Thinking "Oh No something is wrong!"

ha, silly me! I has donea  factory reset, and the default is to go to sleep in 30 secs! Sheesh, and here I was thinking in was the app. One assumes, for example that you are a module and there is a LC process going on, that the phone would not sleep.

On iOS it won't sleep unless there is no activity.(I think)

But somehow on Android it sleeps right in middle, even  if a LC process is underway....

Maybe that is normal android behavior.  or is the a way to override the sleep setting and android.

Insights?
BR

Re: Android Sleep

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
That's not right. The phone shouldn't sleep until you've been inactive for
the amount of time in settings. Were you inactive for 30 seconds? Just
tapping the screen or scrolling should reset the timer.

I've got mine set for 5 minutes which seems like a good compromise.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On November 3, 2019 9:38:45 PM Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was testing in my app in Android. I kept getting "blank screens"
>
> Thinking "Oh No something is wrong!"
>
> ha, silly me! I has donea  factory reset, and the default is to go to sleep
> in 30 secs! Sheesh, and here I was thinking in was the app. One assumes,
> for example that you are a module and there is a LC process going on, that
> the phone would not sleep.
>
> On iOS it won't sleep unless there is no activity.(I think)
>
> But somehow on Android it sleeps right in middle, even  if a LC process is
> underway....
>
> Maybe that is normal android behavior.  or is the a way to override the
> sleep setting and android.
>
> Insights?
> BR

Re: Android Sleep

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

> I was testing in my app in Android. I kept getting "blank screens"
>
> Thinking "Oh No something is wrong!"
>
> ha, silly me! I has donea  factory reset, and the default is to go to sleep in 30 secs! Sheesh, and here I was thinking in was the app. One assumes, for example that you are a module and there is a LC process going on, that the phone would not sleep.
>
> On iOS it won't sleep unless there is no activity.(I think)
>
> But somehow on Android it sleeps right in middle, even  if a LC process is underway....
>
> Maybe that is normal android behavior.  or is the a way to override the sleep setting and android.

Is it sleeping when you're interacting with it, or just running with no
interaction?

When it's running without interaction, what is it doing for 30 seconds
while the user is idle?

I video media playback APIs keep the screen active.  Beyond that, if the
user isn't using the device Android will use the threshold you've set to
conserve power.

Re: Android Sleep

Richard Gaskin via use-livecode
" Is it sleeping when you're interacting with it, or just running with no
interaction?"

-- running with no interaction

Some "modules" (stacks) in the app guide the user through a practice, let say, e.g.

- do A for 5 second,
-     (there is a countdown timer showing "1,2,3,4,5"  on the screen)
- do B for 5 second
- hold for 1 second
- repeat above 5 time

Throughout, the user does not have to touch the screen
LC is running "procedure" and displaying count down (or count ups)  on the screen.

simply put, its equivalent to running a stopwatch on the phone

Ideally,
1) the user doesn't "interact" with the phone.
2) BUT, the phone doesn’t go sleep…until the "cycle is over"

Does your video payback APIs do the same?

Testing on iPhone:
-- set for auto lock in 30 seconds
-- go to the stopwatch, start it running.
-- the phone will not sleep (auto lock) as long as it is running.  I have tried it… running 5 minutes. No sleep
-- it only goes to sleep if you pause or stop.

that the behavior we a looking for...

Richard wrote: When it's running without interaction, what is it doing for 30 seconds