Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Sorry if this is a repeat but I have not seen any replies to my previous query from April 19 ("Android assistance / information?")

This query is likely to need someone in this community as versed in Android as Monte Goulding is in iOS.  One of the beauties of LC is its cross-platform ability.  The app I've written in iOS ports just fine to Android .. at least the user-interactive and data processing parts do.  .. without changing one line of code (and it's a complex app) ... how slick is that??? Obviously, there is a lack of an equivalent Android BLE function for communicating to my Arduino which I have working splendidly in iOS.  So... I'm looking for information / assistance on how to implement a "hardwired" connection from an Arduino to an Android device  (currently have an older- Galaxy Tab 4 running v 5.1.1) ... but if I need a newer model, newer OS, that's do-able.

I'm hoping (?against hope?) that all I need is the "device name" for the USB port on the Android and the rest I can handle using the "open device" serial handles in LC.  I understand that one reason that LC may have and still is avoiding the Android BLE topic is due to the varieties and variations within the numerous version of the Android OS's.  For me, I just need to be able to demonstrate a mobile device (iOS or Android) being able to communicate with an Arduino app via a USB hardwire connection.  I REALLY don't care which OS it is and if I have to use iOS for BLE and Android for USB... that's just fine!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm sure in this age of wireless-ness, hardwire connectivity is a conceptual dinosaur but, for us die-hards, it remains a viable alternative.

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Re: Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
I can't help you but .... i loved your testimonial.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2018 at 2:23 PM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repeat but I have not seen any replies to my previous
> query from April 19 ("Android assistance / information?")
>
> This query is likely to need someone in this community as versed in
> Android as Monte Goulding is in iOS.  One of the beauties of LC is its
> cross-platform ability.  The app I've written in iOS ports just fine to
> Android .. at least the user-interactive and data processing parts do.  ..
> without changing one line of code (and it's a complex app) ... how slick is
> that??? Obviously, there is a lack of an equivalent Android BLE function
> for communicating to my Arduino which I have working splendidly in iOS.
> So... I'm looking for information / assistance on how to implement a
> "hardwired" connection from an Arduino to an Android device  (currently
> have an older- Galaxy Tab 4 running v 5.1.1) ... but if I need a newer
> model, newer OS, that's do-able.
>
> I'm hoping (?against hope?) that all I need is the "device name" for the
> USB port on the Android and the rest I can handle using the "open device"
> serial handles in LC.  I understand that one reason that LC may have and
> still is avoiding the Android BLE topic is due to the varieties and
> variations within the numerous version of the Android OS's.  For me, I just
> need to be able to demonstrate a mobile device (iOS or Android) being able
> to communicate with an Arduino app via a USB hardwire connection.  I REALLY
> don't care which OS it is and if I have to use iOS for BLE and Android for
> USB... that's just fine!
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I'm sure in this age of
> wireless-ness, hardwire connectivity is a conceptual dinosaur but, for us
> die-hards, it remains a viable alternative.
>
> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Re: Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Thanks, Tom ...  got a chuckle out of your reply!  To be fair, Erik Beugelaar *did* reply back on April 24 (I must have missed it) and suggested looking into Jave FFI (supported by LC v9) for possible methodologies.  I have NO CLUE regarding Java... and, cynical as it may be, I don't expect to be able to learn it at my age.  I would be quite interested in anyone with that ability and knowledge to assist ... quite negotiable.  I'm looking for (ideally) a native LC solution.  Given the scope and flexibility of LC, it's hard to imagine that there isn't a way to access the Android USB port.

Apple, if it isn't known, requires you to sell your first-born, sign a contract in blood and then embed a "special" hardware chip in your device in order to ALLOW USB connectivity.  I'm good with using BlueTooth for iOS... but Android has me stumped unless this community can lend a hand.  It'd be right-neighborly of ya to do so!

> I can't help you but .... i loved your testimonial.

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

Re: Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
its very rare that something is not possible ....i hope you find the help
you need...... I have yet to use livecode for mobile dev ....
desktop...different story.....dunno if u've tried the forum....the (gitter)
chatroom may also be good place to ask advanced questions too.

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:44 AM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Tom ...  got a chuckle out of your reply!  To be fair, Erik
> Beugelaar *did* reply back on April 24 (I must have missed it) and
> suggested looking into Jave FFI (supported by LC v9) for possible
> methodologies.  I have NO CLUE regarding Java... and, cynical as it may be,
> I don't expect to be able to learn it at my age.  I would be quite
> interested in anyone with that ability and knowledge to assist ... quite
> negotiable.  I'm looking for (ideally) a native LC solution.  Given the
> scope and flexibility of LC, it's hard to imagine that there isn't a way to
> access the Android USB port.
>
> Apple, if it isn't known, requires you to sell your first-born, sign a
> contract in blood and then embed a "special" hardware chip in your device
> in order to ALLOW USB connectivity.  I'm good with using BlueTooth for
> iOS... but Android has me stumped unless this community can lend a hand.
> It'd be right-neighborly of ya to do so!
>

> > I can't help you but .... i loved your testimonial.
> >

> Douglas Ruisaard
> Trilogy Software
> (250) 573-3935

Re: Android USB port

On 6/10/18 10:44 AM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode wrote:
> Apple, if it isn't known, requires you to sell your first-born, sign a contract in blood and then embed a "special" hardware chip in your device in order to ALLOW USB connectivity.  I'm good with using BlueTooth for iOS... but Android has me stumped unless this community can lend a hand.

You can use Bluetooth with Android as well, but we don't have an
external for that yet. USB connectivity has always been missing on all
platforms, and I don't know of any plans to add it.

It sounds like what you need is a custom Android external for BlueTooth.

Re: Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
Thanks for the reply, Jacqueline.  I was hoping for a reply from you as one of the Android experts on this list.

Your response is as expected.  Yes, I am aware of Bluetooth usage on Android.. and, ideally, THAT would be perfect... since I have a fully developed and working iOS version of my app using Bluetooth via Monte's excellent "mergBLE" kit.  I don't WANT to use the USB if I don't have to but without adding yet another piece of hardware to the project (my hardware guy would kill me!), WIFI sockets are not an option either. Serial connectivity is "native" to all Arduino platforms and the Bluetooth is built into our project for the iOS connectivity.

If anyone could suggest a contractible resource who could "link" an open source Java "library" to LC, that would be fantastic.  Hitting the "yellow-pages" for such a resource seems to be an exercise in frustration in terms of responsiveness of the variety of 10 - 12 supposed Android development companies which tout development expertise.

The Java source resource (in case anyone is interested and able) is from Adafruit and can be found here:

https://github.com/adafruit/Bluefruit_LE_Connect_Android

Regarding "... a custom Android external ...", if I can find a competent Android developer (and, as I said, I REALY need some advice in that regard), how would I instruct them to "link" their code to LC's?  I'm quite ignorant about that aspect of LC development.. but willing to learn.

Douglas Ruisaard
Trilogy Software
(250) 573-3935

> On 6/10/18 10:44 AM, Douglas Ruisaard via use-livecode wrote:
> > Apple, if it isn't known, requires you to sell your first-born, sign a contract in blood and then
> embed a "special" hardware chip in your device in order to ALLOW USB connectivity.  I'm good with
> using BlueTooth for iOS... but Android has me stumped unless this community can lend a hand.
>
> You can use Bluetooth with Android as well, but we don't have an
> external for that yet. USB connectivity has always been missing on all
> platforms, and I don't know of any plans to add it.
>
> It sounds like what you need is a custom Android external for BlueTooth.

Re: Android USB port

Tore Nilsen via use-livecode
The LC team takes custom requests, and you wouldn't have to tell them how
to link the code into LiveCode. :) Write to [hidden email] and see
what they say.
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]