Android and https

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
If I try to access a https link/page in my Android app, I get empty (the result is empty too).  If I do the same call on my iOS app, it’s fine.   Is there some type of secure issue with LC 9.0.1 on Android?  Or, am I supposed to flip a switch somewhere?

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

Re: Android and https

On 8/7/18 2:38 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
> If I try to access a https link/page in my Android app, I get empty (the result is empty too).  If I do the same call on my iOS app, it’s fine.   Is there some type of secure issue with LC 9.0.1 on Android?  Or, am I supposed to flip a switch somewhere?

Did you tick the checkbox for Internet permissions in Android standalone
settings?

Re: Android and https

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Jacqueline,

Yes.  Before attempting to display the PDF, I am downloading the PDF from my site to begin with. So, internet functionality is working (although, not https).

-Dan

On 8/7/18, 1:53 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of J. Landman Gay via use-livecode" <[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:

    On 8/7/18 2:38 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode wrote:
    > If I try to access a https link/page in my Android app, I get empty (the result is empty too).  If I do the same call on my iOS app, it’s fine.   Is there some type of secure issue with LC 9.0.1 on Android?  Or, am I supposed to flip a switch somewhere?

    Did you tick the checkbox for Internet permissions in Android standalone
    settings?

HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hello folks,

I am having an interesting time (MacOS 10.13.5 LC 8.1.9) trying to load some HTML files (≤ 5 ish MB).  Most of them will be lists or tables, generated by various users on various systems.

I don’t want to retain any of the formatting, except line endings, so I would be happy for tables to appear as lists.  I found a little 2013 nugget from the estimable  Jacqueline Landman Gay

set the htmltext of the templatefield to htmlVar -- variable contains the html string
put the text of the templatefield into tPlainText

In some cases that works fine, but in others, it seems that HTML tables consisting  of maybe 20-30 thousand rows are rendered onto a single line of the field.  A sort of black-letters-overwritten splodge appears in the first row and LC cranks up to 100% of the processor and BBoD ensues.

Sometimes it never seems to recover, but other times it hands back control after maybe 20 minutes or so, and in those cases I can see the text if I set dontwrap to false.  It contains no line endings from the original table, and a shedload of tabs.

I have tried to operate on the HTML string in a variable before putting it into the field, but frankly don’t really know what property of some HTML tables might mean that line endings are lost.  I can only see </tr> when I examine the files in an editor.

I tried a different approach, replacing a row end with a cr, and then stripping out tags:

put URL ("file:" & theFilePath) into ttemp

replace "</tr>" with cr in ttemp

replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")

filter lines of ttemp without empty

set the text of field "import" to ttemp

The replaceText line generates an error “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”

Firstly I don’t get the error, and secondly I am worried I may be over complicating something which should be simple.

Advice please!

Best wishes,

David Glasgow

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Well, although this might sound a bit goofy,
how about just bunging your html text into a scrolling list field and
every time you
came across a </tr> moving down to a new line?

This works:

on mouseUp
    set the text of fld "SLF1" to empty
     answer file "Choose an HTML file to import"
    if the result = "cancel"
    then exit mouseUp
    else
       put (URL ("file:" & it),"UTF8") into CHEESE
    end if
    put 1 into LYNE
    repeat until CHEESE is empty
       if word 1 of CHEESE is "</tr>" then
          add 1 to LYNE
          delete word 1 of CHEESE
          else
             put word 1 of CHEESE after line LYNE of fld "SLF1"
             delete word 1 of CHEESE
             end if
    end repeat
end mouseUp

where fld "SLF1" is a scrolling list field.

Admittedly it makes a pig's breakfast out of everything else.

Richmond.

On 9/8/2018 3:00 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> I am having an interesting time (MacOS 10.13.5 LC 8.1.9) trying to load some HTML files (≤ 5 ish MB).  Most of them will be lists or tables, generated by various users on various systems.
>
> I don’t want to retain any of the formatting, except line endings, so I would be happy for tables to appear as lists.  I found a little 2013 nugget from the estimable  Jacqueline Landman Gay
>
> set the htmltext of the templatefield to htmlVar -- variable contains the html string
> put the text of the templatefield into tPlainText
>
> In some cases that works fine, but in others, it seems that HTML tables consisting  of maybe 20-30 thousand rows are rendered onto a single line of the field.  A sort of black-letters-overwritten splodge appears in the first row and LC cranks up to 100% of the processor and BBoD ensues.
>
> Sometimes it never seems to recover, but other times it hands back control after maybe 20 minutes or so, and in those cases I can see the text if I set dontwrap to false.  It contains no line endings from the original table, and a shedload of tabs.
>
> I have tried to operate on the HTML string in a variable before putting it into the field, but frankly don’t really know what property of some HTML tables might mean that line endings are lost.  I can only see </tr> when I examine the files in an editor.
>
> I tried a different approach, replacing a row end with a cr, and then stripping out tags:
>
> put URL ("file:" & theFilePath) into ttemp
>
> replace "</tr>" with cr in ttemp
>
> replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")
>
> filter lines of ttemp without empty
>
> set the text of field "import" to ttemp
>

> The replaceText line generates an error “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”
>
> Firstly I don’t get the error, and secondly I am worried I may be over complicating something which should be simple.
>
> Advice please!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David Glasgow

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Thanks Richmond, I will mess about with your suggestions.  It's always much appreciated when someone takes the time to suggest a complete handler.

But …. I want more!  Can you see anything wrong with this?

replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")

or have a clue about the error message?

 “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”

Cheers,

David G

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi David,

> Am 09.08.2018 um 15:21 schrieb David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> Thanks Richmond, I will mess about with your suggestions.  It's always much appreciated when someone takes the time to suggest a complete handler.
> But …. I want more!  Can you see anything wrong with this?
>
> replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")
> or have a clue about the error message?
> “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”

"replacetext ()" is a FUNCTION and not a handler! :-)

> Cheers,
>
> David G

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: HTML to text in field

Richmond Mathewson wrote:

 >        put (URL ("file:" & it),"UTF8") into CHEESE

Was uniDecode intended there?

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
D’OH!

> On 9 Aug 2018, at 2:23 pm, Klaus major-k via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> "replacetext ()" is a FUNCTION and not a handler! :-)

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hi David,

I’m working on something thing similar at the moment (although I’m stripping out almost everything except for basic HTML formatting).

I too found that nugget by JLG and had the similar results. I’ve also looked at using XML and regex. The problem with HTML is that while it’s a standard, unless it’s strict xHtml, it’s not really and a lot of it ends up being malformed, etc. Todays browsers are very forgiving and figure most of it out, but if you open the dev tools in safari or firefox and look at most pages, you will see a LOT of errors.

So I don’t think there is an “out of the box” answer. My solution is similar to what you are trying, stripping out tags and some other things and cleaning it up to give me what I want.

If your solution (after fixing the function vs command syntax that Klaus pointed out) doesn’t work for you, I could put together an example stack using my “cleaner” to share. I don’t claim it’s the best, only or anything else way to do it, other than it works for me and am happy to share.

Best,

Steve MacLean

> On Aug 9, 2018, at 8:00 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>
> I am having an interesting time (MacOS 10.13.5 LC 8.1.9) trying to load some HTML files (≤ 5 ish MB).  Most of them will be lists or tables, generated by various users on various systems.
>
> I don’t want to retain any of the formatting, except line endings, so I would be happy for tables to appear as lists.  I found a little 2013 nugget from the estimable  Jacqueline Landman Gay
>
> set the htmltext of the templatefield to htmlVar -- variable contains the html string
> put the text of the templatefield into tPlainText
>
> In some cases that works fine, but in others, it seems that HTML tables consisting  of maybe 20-30 thousand rows are rendered onto a single line of the field.  A sort of black-letters-overwritten splodge appears in the first row and LC cranks up to 100% of the processor and BBoD ensues.
>
> Sometimes it never seems to recover, but other times it hands back control after maybe 20 minutes or so, and in those cases I can see the text if I set dontwrap to false.  It contains no line endings from the original table, and a shedload of tabs.
>
> I have tried to operate on the HTML string in a variable before putting it into the field, but frankly don’t really know what property of some HTML tables might mean that line endings are lost.  I can only see </tr> when I examine the files in an editor.
>
> I tried a different approach, replacing a row end with a cr, and then stripping out tags:
>
> put URL ("file:" & theFilePath) into ttemp
>
> replace "</tr>" with cr in ttemp
>
> replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")
>
> filter lines of ttemp without empty
>
> set the text of field "import" to ttemp
>

> The replaceText line generates an error “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”
>
> Firstly I don’t get the error, and secondly I am worried I may be over complicating something which should be simple.
>
> Advice please!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> David Glasgow

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Possibly as it was lifted verbatim from "elsewhere'. :/

Although it works the way it is in LC 8.1.10.

Richmond.

On 9/8/2018 4:31 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:

> Richmond Mathewson wrote:
>
> >        put (URL ("file:" & it),"UTF8") into CHEESE
>
> Was uniDecode intended there?
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: HTML to text in field

Skip Kimpel via use-livecode
Hmm . . .

On 9/8/2018 4:21 pm, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> Thanks Richmond, I will mess about with your suggestions.  It's always much appreciated when someone takes the time to suggest a complete handler.
>
> But …. I want more!
*
**Just as long as I can call you Oliver Twist. :)*

>   Can you see anything wrong with this?
>

> replaceText (ttemp, "<*>", "|")
*
**Dunno, I have NEVER used replaceText.

One thing I do know is that the in-built Dictionary in LC 7.1.4 is much
more Richmond-friendly than that in the 8 and 9 series.

Might not be a bad idea to try double quotes round 'ttemp': yes, I know that
sounds bonkers, but . . .

Ah, wait a malformed moment . . . I think you have got 'that' all wrong
insofar as I don't think
you can use a string-variable as the first term inside the brackets of a
replaceText thingy (I use the term 'thingy' advisably as
I haven't a clue whether replaceText is a function or something else) . . .

Have a go with this ever so-slightly retro, mechanical thing:

put ttemp into fld "TTTEMP"
replaceText (fld "TTTEMP", "<*>", "|"

Well it is probably a better bet than a sharp stick in the eye!
*

> or have a clue about the error message?
>
>   “button "Import HTML": execution error at line 7 (Handler: can't find handler) near "replaceText", char 1”

*Read "my crap" above.

Gosh, this Belarussian Stout really makes me 'artistic'.

Richmond.
*