Android compass question

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
I have a new galaxy phone. When I read the mobile compass, both magnetic heading and true heading constantly change - even if the phone is laying down still. It changes up and down randomly by 5 degrees or so. Does anyone know if this is a problem with LC or with galaxy phones? My iPhone does not do this.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Android compass question

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Maybe you don't know what you want most in this world. (Sorry I had to.) Might be a calibration issue, but I don't know how to calibrate the compass on an android.

Bob S

On 08/13/2018 07:55 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode wrote:
> Maybe you don't know what you want most in this world. (Sorry I had to.)

<groan>

On 8/11/18 3:34 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> I have a new galaxy phone. When I read the mobile compass, both magnetic heading and true heading constantly change - even if the phone is laying down still. It changes up and down randomly by 5 degrees or so. Does anyone know if this is a problem with LC or with galaxy phones? My iPhone does not do this.

My Galaxy S5 does the same thing with a LC compass I made. My guess is
that's the way Android reads GPS data. When it tries to find my house,
it does a whole bunch of hops around the circumference before settling
down on the center, and even then it still twitches as it tries for more
accuracy.

A compass I downloaded from the Play Store does not do that on my Pixel.
I'd guess that the app is doing some rounding to the nearest integer,
since it doesn't display fractional values.

Try downloading a few of the dozens of compasses on the Play Store and
see how they behave. It may be that LC is actually more precise than you
want it to be. I do know that LC is only reporting what the OS tells it.

Re: Android compass question

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Hi Jacqueline,

Thank you for this reply. I keep working with this issue, but I still
cannot resolve it. When I put the Android phone down on a table, to be
still, the compass heading from LC jumps up and down by as much as 10
degrees - way too big of a range just to round.

However, the compass app I downloaded on that same device is rock steady.

I really wish it would just work, rather than having to massage the data
from the device.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 4:24 PM J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/11/18 3:34 PM, Jonathan Lynch via use-livecode wrote:
> > I have a new galaxy phone. When I read the mobile compass, both magnetic
> heading and true heading constantly change - even if the phone is laying
> down still. It changes up and down randomly by 5 degrees or so. Does anyone
> know if this is a problem with LC or with galaxy phones? My iPhone does not
> do this.
>
> My Galaxy S5 does the same thing with a LC compass I made. My guess is
> that's the way Android reads GPS data. When it tries to find my house,
> it does a whole bunch of hops around the circumference before settling
> down on the center, and even then it still twitches as it tries for more
> accuracy.
>
> A compass I downloaded from the Play Store does not do that on my Pixel.
> I'd guess that the app is doing some rounding to the nearest integer,
> since it doesn't display fractional values.
>
> Try downloading a few of the dozens of compasses on the Play Store and
> see how they behave. It may be that LC is actually more precise than you
> want it to be. I do know that LC is only reporting what the OS tells it.

Do all things with love

Re: Android compass question

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Just a quick addendum to my last comment - I found an html5 online compass
demo that works well on the device. That means I might be able to use the
browser widget that displays the map to read the compass from the device.
If that works, I could reset the map heading inside the widget without
having to get data from LC.

That is actually a huge amount of work, and I hate to have to resort to
that, but having the heading jump around so much is just unworkable. I am
not sure how the browser can get a steady reading when LC is not getting a
steady reading from the system.

--
Do all things with love

Re: Android compass question

Stephen MacLean via use-livecode
Just following up on this - on my Android device the compass heading data from LC jumps around plus-or-minus 10 degrees while the phone is laying still, but the same data from the browser widget is stable. I was able to make it work in my app this way, but I wish the LC sensor data had also been stable.

You have to be careful how you do it, though, because too much back and forth data flow between LC and the browser widget can cause a crash.

Anyone, this solution works in case anyone has the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone