Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I want to configure a new Mac mini running 10.13.2 for Android development.
But, as I've learnt these last two weeks, LC advise can be out-of-date, and
what works on one setup may not on another. At least, that's been the case
on Windows.

So, if you are on a Mac OS ++and++ have succesfully tested a stack on an
Android device -- preferably one using LC's  Internet library -- please
post details about your:

::: Mac OS version :::

::: LC version(s) :::

::: Java JDK :::

About downloading the JDK. Where specifically should I click on the downloading
a JDK <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html>
webpage
referred to by the LC Lesson "How do I become an Android developer on Mac?
<http://lessons.livecode.com/m/2571/l/27389-how-do-i-become-an-android-developer-on-a-mac%20>"
--- the "JDK Download" button inside table Java SE 8u151/ 8u152?

I ask to be doubly-sure and because recent list messages warn against
updating from 8.0 to 9.0​. Plu

::: Android SDK :::

That LC lesson advices the full Android Studio for LC post-8.1.5. Do you
agree?

::: Android SDK platform :::

Again, that LC lesson advices the Android 4.0.3 package. Yes?

Thank you. I sure would like to get things working well straight out of the
box!

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode

> ::: Mac OS version :::
10.11.5 on MBP
10.12.6 on iMac
school IT just forced me to update the iMac to 10.13.2 but I haven't
compiled anything since then (thanks Apple for not backwards applying
Meltdown/Spectre patches)

> ::: LC version(s) :::
8.1.8 Business until the pesky "could not open module" bug crept into
my stack. Now I'm using 9dp11 (I feel like this is dg2 related, but
can't pinpoint that so it may be fake news)

> ::: Java JDK :::
1.8.0_121 on MBP
It's a holiday and the school is closed so I can't comment on the
iMac, but since that was a clean install about 3 months ago the
process is pretty fresh. I had to do something funky to get the JDK,
and I think it was this...
https://www.ihash.eu/2015/11/how-to-install-java-jre-8-on-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan/

> ::: Android SDK :::
>
> That LC lesson advices the full Android Studio for LC post-8.1.5. Do you
> agree?
I'm pretty sure that's the only way now. The old method didn't have a
flashy interface (not that Android Studio does either, or is
intuitive) but seemed to work fine for my needs.

> ::: Android SDK platform :::
>
> Again, that LC lesson advices the Android 4.0.3 package. Yes?
I think 4.0.3 is a must, but for some reason I also think that 4.2
and/or 4.2.2 was a critical breakthrough for me when I first setup
this system about 2 years ago.

--Andrew Bell

Re: Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Can now test on Android device from Mac. Hooray.

Thanks, Andrew. But went with what LC recommends. Kind of.

--
Nicolas Cueto

On 15 January 2018 at 22:50, Andrew Bell via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> ::: Mac OS version :::
>>
> 10.11.5 on MBP
> 10.12.6 on iMac
> school IT just forced me to update the iMac to 10.13.2 but I haven't
> compiled anything since then (thanks Apple for not backwards applying
> Meltdown/Spectre patches)
>

> ::: LC version(s) :::
>>
> 8.1.8 Business until the pesky "could not open module" bug crept into my
> stack. Now I'm using 9dp11 (I feel like this is dg2 related, but can't
> pinpoint that so it may be fake news)
>

> ::: Java JDK :::
>>
> 1.8.0_121 on MBP
> It's a holiday and the school is closed so I can't comment on the iMac,
> but since that was a clean install about 3 months ago the process is pretty
> fresh. I had to do something funky to get the JDK, and I think it was
> this... https://www.ihash.eu/2015/11/how-to-install-java-jre-8-on-ma
> c-os-x-10-11-el-capitan/
>

> ::: Android SDK :::
>>
>> That LC lesson advices the full Android Studio for LC post-8.1.5. Do you
>> agree?
>>
> I'm pretty sure that's the only way now. The old method didn't have a
> flashy interface (not that Android Studio does either, or is intuitive) but
> seemed to work fine for my needs.
>

> ::: Android SDK platform :::
>>
>> Again, that LC lesson advices the Android 4.0.3 package. Yes?
>>
> I think 4.0.3 is a must, but for some reason I also think that 4.2 and/or
> 4.2.2 was a critical breakthrough for me when I first setup this system
> about 2 years ago.
>

> --Andrew Bell

Android Studio how to create AVD?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
I’m trying to figure out how to get an Android virtual device going for LC testing/debugging. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to create an AVD with Android Studio. I’ve spent the better part of my day trying to figure this out.

I've tried LC business 8.1.9 & LC business 9.0.0 (dp11). I’ve installed JRE 9.0.4, jdk 9.0.4, Android Studio 3.0. I’m on Mac OS 10.13.3. My LC Preference appear to be set correctly with the Android SDK being displayed with JDK Path also being displayed and appears to be valid. I have no problem testing IOS. I’ve just not been able to figure out how to get an Android virtual device and everything I’m reading on line doesn’t make sense for what I’m seeing in LC and Studio.

The Test menu in the IDE does not show and Android deviced.

not sure if this is related but when I attempt to save a standalone as an Android I get an error that says “There was an error while saving the standalone application could not compile service support class”.

What am I missing? There must be something dumb I’m doing or something I need to install isn’t on my system. Any help is much appreciated.

Bob H.

Re: Android Studio how to create AVD?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
One very irritating thing about Android Studio is that you have to create a
project before you can launch a simulator. So when you open Android Studio,
and get the welcome dialog, just start a new project with any old settings.

Once you've done that you can choose Tools > Android > AVD Manager and
create a device. You'll need to choose something with armeabi architecture,
not x86, when you create the device. Once it has booted up you should see
it in the target list.

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 12:18 AM bob--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’m trying to figure out how to get an Android virtual device going for LC
> testing/debugging. For the life of me I can’t figure out how to create an
> AVD with Android Studio. I’ve spent the better part of my day trying to
> figure this out.
>
> I've tried LC business 8.1.9 & LC business 9.0.0 (dp11). I’ve installed
> JRE 9.0.4, jdk 9.0.4, Android Studio 3.0. I’m on Mac OS 10.13.3. My LC
> Preference appear to be set correctly with the Android SDK being displayed
> with JDK Path also being displayed and appears to be valid. I have no
> problem testing IOS. I’ve just not been able to figure out how to get an
> Android virtual device and everything I’m reading on line doesn’t make
> sense for what I’m seeing in LC and Studio.
>
> The Test menu in the IDE does not show and Android deviced.
>
> not sure if this is related but when I attempt to save a standalone as an
> Android I get an error that says “There was an error while saving the
> standalone application could not compile service support class”.
>
> What am I missing? There must be something dumb I’m doing or something I
> need to install isn’t on my system. Any help is much appreciated.
>
> Bob H.

Re: Android Studio how to create AVD?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode

> Once you've done that you can choose Tools > Android > AVD Manager and
> create a device. You'll need to choose something with armeabi architecture,
> not x86, when you create the device. Once it has booted up you should see
> it in the target list.

Thanks for the clearing this up Ali. When I go to the Tools menu Android is not listed. BUT, you gave me a hint as to what was up. I did some searches and it turns out that there’s still an issue with the default installation of Android Studio — apparently, in Googles infinite wisdom, the Android menu is not installed with the default configuration (dope slap to Google). You need to select custom install and add the AVD and other options for installation.

I had 2 options to get things working. Completely uninstall Android Studio (not something I wanted to tackle since it’s not just uninstall the app and I use JetBrains for other dev work) or let AStudio fix itself. I choose Option 2.

Option 1 Uninstall: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47272832/no-android-option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47272832/no-android-option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager> <— for windows, mac looks similar
Option 2 Let AStudio fix itself: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46948322/how-to-open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46948322/how-to-open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version>

Not out of the woods yet but I do have the Android menu now (YIPEE!).

I’ve created a AVD (Nexus 5 API 15 IceCreamSandwidch). I had installed this from the configuration menu of AStudio. When I tried to created an AVD I got an error:
"Emulator: emulator: ERROR: This AVD's configuration is missing a kernel file! Please ensure the file "kernel-qemu" is in the same location as your system image.”
"Emulator: emulator: ERROR: ANDROID_SDK_ROOT is undefined”

I went back and created a API 17 based AVD. This device is able to boot after I downloaded the image.

Back to LC. Development->Test Target and select the Android emulator. Then Development->Test.

LC: “Unable to build app for testing: could not compile Application class”

Troubleshooting continues but thanks for moving me forward.

Bob H.

Re: Android Studio how to create AVD?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

Just a suggestion, I personally find it easier to download an install just
the Android SDK Tools, not Android Studio.

The problem is that the newest versions of the Android SDK Tools don't work
well with LC, because you can mainly run commands from the command line
instead of having a UI for Android AVD Manager and Android SDK Manager etc
So you have to download an older version of the Android SDK Tools.

I have installed version 19 and it works like a charm with all LC versions
I have tried (from 6.7.11 to 9.0)

The link is a bit difficult to find, it has this format:

http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r[rev]-windows.zip
http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r[rev]-linux.zip
http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r[rev]-macosx.zip

For example http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/tools_r19-macosx.zip
for version 19 on Mac.

On other machines I have installed more recent versions, I *think* 20-23,
and they work fine too.

After downloading an older version of the Android Tools, use the
instructions in this lesson
http://lessons.livecode.com/m/2571/l/27389-how-do-i-become-an-android-developer-on-a-mac

to download the other dependencies (SDK Platform Android 4.0.3 package)
using the Android SDK Manager and configure Android AVD Manager.

Hope this helps,
Panos
--

On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM, bob--- via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Once you've done that you can choose Tools > Android > AVD Manager and
> > create a device. You'll need to choose something with armeabi
> architecture,
> > not x86, when you create the device. Once it has booted up you should see
> > it in the target list.
> >

> Thanks for the clearing this up Ali. When I go to the Tools menu Android
> is not listed. BUT, you gave me a hint as to what was up. I did some
> searches and it turns out that there’s still an issue with the default
> installation of Android Studio — apparently, in Googles infinite wisdom,
> the Android menu is not installed with the default configuration (dope slap
> to Google). You need to select custom install and add the AVD and other
> options for installation.
>
> I had 2 options to get things working. Completely uninstall Android Studio
> (not something I wanted to tackle since it’s not just uninstall the app and
> I use JetBrains for other dev work) or let AStudio fix itself. I choose
> Option 2.
>
> Option 1 Uninstall: https://stackoverflow.com/
> questions/47272832/no-android-option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager <
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47272832/no-android-
> option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager> <— for windows, mac looks similar
> Option 2 Let AStudio fix itself: https://stackoverflow.com/
> questions/46948322/how-to-open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version <
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46948322/how-to-
> open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version>
>
> Not out of the woods yet but I do have the Android menu now (YIPEE!).
>
> I’ve created a AVD (Nexus 5 API 15 IceCreamSandwidch). I had installed
> this from the configuration menu of AStudio. When I tried to created an AVD
> I got an error:
> "Emulator: emulator: ERROR: This AVD's configuration is missing a kernel
> file! Please ensure the file "kernel-qemu" is in the same location as your
> system image.”
> "Emulator: emulator: ERROR: ANDROID_SDK_ROOT is undefined”
>
> I went back and created a API 17 based AVD. This device is able to boot
> after I downloaded the image.
>
> Back to LC. Development->Test Target and select the Android emulator. Then
> Development->Test.
>
> LC: “Unable to build app for testing: could not compile Application class”
>
> Troubleshooting continues but thanks for moving me forward.
>
> Bob H.

RE: Android Studio how to create AVD?

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
The links that you provided don't seem to work. I get a 404 error

After downloading an older version of the Android Tools, use the instructions in this lesson http://lessons.livecode.com/m/2571/l/27389-how-do-i-become-an-android-developer-on-a-mac