Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
I want to configure a new Mac mini running 10.13.2 for Android development.
But, as I've learnt these last two weeks, LC advise can be out-of-date, and
what works on one setup may not on another. At least, that's been the case
on Windows.

So, if you are on a Mac OS ++and++ have succesfully tested a stack on an
Android device -- preferably one using LC's  Internet library -- please
post details about your:

::: Mac OS version :::

::: LC version(s) :::

::: Java JDK :::

About downloading the JDK. Where specifically should I click on the downloading
a JDK <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html>
webpage
referred to by the LC Lesson "How do I become an Android developer on Mac?
<http://lessons.livecode.com/m/2571/l/27389-how-do-i-become-an-android-developer-on-a-mac%20>"
--- the "JDK Download" button inside table Java SE 8u151/ 8u152?

I ask to be doubly-sure and because recent list messages warn against
updating from 8.0 to 9.0‚Äč. Plu

::: Android SDK :::

That LC lesson advices the full Android Studio for LC post-8.1.5. Do you
agree?

::: Android SDK platform :::

Again, that LC lesson advices the Android 4.0.3 package. Yes?

Thank you. I sure would like to get things working well straight out of the
box!

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Graham Samuel via use-livecode

> ::: Mac OS version :::
10.11.5 on MBP
10.12.6 on iMac
school IT just forced me to update the iMac to 10.13.2 but I haven't
compiled anything since then (thanks Apple for not backwards applying
Meltdown/Spectre patches)

> ::: LC version(s) :::
8.1.8 Business until the pesky "could not open module" bug crept into
my stack. Now I'm using 9dp11 (I feel like this is dg2 related, but
can't pinpoint that so it may be fake news)

> ::: Java JDK :::
1.8.0_121 on MBP
It's a holiday and the school is closed so I can't comment on the
iMac, but since that was a clean install about 3 months ago the
process is pretty fresh. I had to do something funky to get the JDK,
and I think it was this...
https://www.ihash.eu/2015/11/how-to-install-java-jre-8-on-mac-os-x-10-11-el-capitan/

> ::: Android SDK :::
>
> That LC lesson advices the full Android Studio for LC post-8.1.5. Do you
> agree?
I'm pretty sure that's the only way now. The old method didn't have a
flashy interface (not that Android Studio does either, or is
intuitive) but seemed to work fine for my needs.

> ::: Android SDK platform :::
>
> Again, that LC lesson advices the Android 4.0.3 package. Yes?
I think 4.0.3 is a must, but for some reason I also think that 4.2
and/or 4.2.2 was a critical breakthrough for me when I first setup
this system about 2 years ago.

--Andrew Bell

Re: Android devpt on Mac OS -- your setup?

Graham Samuel via use-livecode
Can now test on Android device from Mac. Hooray.

Thanks, Andrew. But went with what LC recommends. Kind of.

--
Nicolas Cueto