Another good read

mwieder
All-

In case you don't have enough to do this week, here's another
interesting article that just came my way on another list. It's from
2000 but the message is timeless:

"There's a subtle reason that programmers always want to throw away
the code and start over. The reason is that they think the old code is
a mess. And here is the interesting observation: they are probably
wrong."

-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Re: Another good read

Mark Talluto

On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html

Nice read Mark.  I think I have started down that path before and
found that it is true indeed.

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com

RE: Another good read

Lynn Fredricks
> On Jun 13, 2005, at 8:23 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:
>
> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html
>

> Nice read Mark.  I think I have started down that path before
> and found that it is true indeed.

That and "joel's best" are in the Joel on Software book. It's a very
readable and interesting book. I don't think he knows well everything he
talks about, but he has a keen understanding of what works and what doesn't
work in bringing a technical product to fruition.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network
http://www.paradigmasoft.com

Re: Another good read

mwieder
Lynn-

LF> That and "joel's best" are in the Joel on Software book. It's a very
LF> readable and interesting book. I don't think he knows well everything he

Thanks! I hadn't paid enough attention to notice the books... now I'll
have to walk over to the bookstore and get it. After Monterey, of
course.

--
-Mark Wieder

 ahsoftware@gmail.com

Updating new builds

Stephen Barncard
ha! I'm back at build 91. Early adopter, I guess.

I have a good question. While we're talking about updating with new
'builds' what exactly should be replaced besides the engine? What is
everyone out there doing? In the first public 2.6 last week, casual
observation revealed there were several internal stacks that had been
updated, not just the engine.

It's not really clear what stacks in a rev package get updated or
not. There seems to be a blur between Rev and User areas. I have a
lot of plugins and settings files and image libraries and upgrading
is a time consuming process. Perhaps I'll have to make a 'clean
installer' (like I used to use with Mac OS 9).

I'd like to keep everything updated, but the only good way to install
Rev seems to be start from scratch with a fresh install, and drop in
certain stacks one knows for sure that one needs from the older
folder.

It would be nice to know the build and version numbers before
downloading. Also I always have to rename the downloaded .pkg files-
they're all named the same. (I keep fresh versions of all builds I
download).

Re: Updating new builds

Dan Shafer
Stephen....

On Jun 14, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Stephen Barncard wrote:

> I'd like to keep everything updated, but the only good way to
> install Rev seems to be start from scratch with a fresh install,
> and drop in certain stacks one knows for sure that one needs from
> the older folder.

This has been a complaint of mine from the beginning and every time
there's a new release, I gripe about it some more. I know RunRev does
understand the problem and plans to fix it at some point. My guess is
it'll be part of the next major rev of the product, which Kevin has
intimated will come in less than a year's time.

As it is, semi-manually updating everything is the only way I know of
to make sure everything is as it should be once an upgrade is complete.