Any LiveCoders who also use Xamarin?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any LiveCoders who also use Xamarin?

Dave Kilroy
Hi all

I'm in an slightly weird situation with a client where they want me to use Xamarin instead of LiveCode for a project (for internal 'political' reasons as much as anything as far as I can see) - have any of you tried Xamarin and if so what did you think of it?

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any LiveCoders who also use Xamarin?

Mark Wilcox-2
> I'm in an slightly weird situation with a client where they want me to
> use
> Xamarin instead of LiveCode for a project (for internal 'political'
> reasons
> as much as anything as far as I can see) - have any of you tried Xamarin
> and
> if so what did you think of it?

I think the important thing to know about Xamarin before getting started
is that there are 2 very different ways to do the UI. One is to build a
separate UI for each platform and there Xamarin really just provides
thin (auto-generated) C# wrappers around the platform UI components - so
you have to learn the APIs for each platform. The other is
Xamarin.Forms, which is a true cross-platform solution but relatively
limited and designed for rapid application development.

Xamarin is pretty capable (indeed you can access any native API) but
performs quite poorly on Android if you need to call the Android Java
APIs a lot. Nothing you'd worry about in an "enterprise" app but
probably not advisable for a mass market consumer effort.

Depending on what platforms you need to support, whether you can use
Forms, and whether or not you already know C#, there can be a pretty
steep learning curve.

Hope that helps,
Mark

_______________________________________________
use-livecode mailing list
[hidden email]
Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your subscription preferences:
http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any LiveCoders who also use Xamarin?

Dave Kilroy
Thank you Mark, very helpful

Xamarin is Mono re-born with lots of extra bells and whistles, and I remember researching it back in about 2009 before I chose LiveCode - I used to be a .NET developer (VB.NET rather than C#) before I escaped from the world of Microsoft serfdom ... which I don't want to return to!

They do have Xamarin Studio which runs on a mac so I wouldn't have to return to Visual Studio <sigh>

Yep I'd heard about the limitations of their 'forms' but hadn't realised Android performance was generally slow...

I would prefer to be working in LiveCode!

Kind regards

Dave
"The first 90% of the task takes 90% of the time, and the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time."
Peter M. Brigham