App deployment on Windows

charles61
What are the standard locations for deploying ann app on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7?

Re: App deployment on Windows

xtalkprogrammer
Hi,

This should be X:\program files, where X is the start-up drive.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Subscribe to the Economy-x-Talk newsletter at http://qurl.tk/cj
Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and
share the clipboard of your computer over the local network.

On 3 jul 2010, at 18:49, charles61 wrote:

> What are the standard locations for deploying ann app on Windows XP,
> Vista
> and Windows 7?

Kind regards,

Drs. Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
KvK: 50277553

Re: App deployment on Windows

charles61
Mark

Is this true for all of the windows platforms?

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On Jul 3, 2010, at 1:08 PM, Mark Schonewille-3 [via Runtime Revolution] wrote:

Hi,

This should be X:\program files, where X is the start-up drive.

--
Best regards,

Mark Schonewille

Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com

Subscribe to the Economy-x-Talk newsletter at http://qurl.tk/cj
Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and
share the clipboard of your computer over the local network.

On 3 jul 2010, at 18:49, charles61 wrote:

> What are the standard locations for deploying ann app on Windows XP,
> Vista
> and Windows 7?

Re: App deployment on Windows

Klaus on-rev
Hi Charles,

Am 03.07.2010 um 19:08 schrieb Mark Schonewille:

> Hi,
>
> This should be X:\program files, where X is the start-up drive.

which you should get with:
specialfolderpath(38)

according to this extremely helpful page:
http://sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/tips/file010.htm

:-)

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Mark Schonewille

> Homepage: http://economy-x-talk.com
>
> Subscribe to the Economy-x-Talk newsletter at http://qurl.tk/cj
> Download Clipboard Link http://clipboardlink.economy-x-talk.com and share the clipboard of your computer over the local network.
>
> On 3 jul 2010, at 18:49, charles61 wrote:
>

>> What are the standard locations for deploying ann app on Windows XP, Vista
>> and Windows 7?

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
http://www.major-k.de

Re: App deployment on Windows

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 07/03/2010 07:49 PM, charles61 wrote:
> What are the standard locations for deploying ann app on Windows XP, Vista
> and Windows 7?

My experience tells me that a standard location is not strictly necessary;
and, knowing that, I wonder why you would go to quite complicated
lengths to make sure your app is installed in a standard location.

Re: App deployment on Windows

charles61
Richmond

I am concern about the location of the installation because of the virtualization that Vista and Windows 7 employs.

Charles Szasz
[hidden email]

On 07/03/2010 08:41 PM, charles61 wrote:
> Richmond
>
> I am concern about the location of the installation because of the virtualization that Vista and Windows 7 employs.
>
> Charles Szasz
> [hidden email]

Thanks for explaining that.

However: having, temporarily, installed RunRev on a machine running
Vista; built a standalone
(on the desktop) and having run the standalone directly from where it
was built, I can say that
everything worked in an extremely unproblematic fashion.

Re: App deployment on Windows

Stephen Barncard-4
but you are the admin.

On 07/03/2010 10:27 PM, stephen barncard wrote:

> but you are the admin.
>
> On 3 July 2010 11:31, Richmond<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> On 07/03/2010 08:41 PM, charles61 wrote:
>>
>>> Richmond
>>>
>>> I am concern about the location of the installation because of the
>>> virtualization that Vista and Windows 7 employs.
>>>
>>> Charles Szasz
>>> [hidden email]
>>>
>> Thanks for explaining that.
>>
>> However: having, temporarily, installed RunRev on a machine running Vista;
>> built a standalone
>> (on the desktop) and having run the standalone directly from where it was
>> built, I can say that
>> everything worked in an extremely unproblematic fashion.

Err . . . Yes; but I (probably naively) assumed that if you are
marketing software
the Admin person would be the one who was installing it and setting the
user privileges
to it.

Certainly, when I ran a Mac lab at St Andrews we had "merry hell" with
Chinese and Japanese
students downloading Chinese and Japanese input-capable chat clients
(the Macs were for
academic purposes) until we locked-down software install to the admin;
although, later
(after one particularly intelligent student got hold of a Mac boot disk)
we went for doing a
boot from a cloned disk image.

I seem to remember a similar situation at SIU Carbondale; the chap who
was in charge of
all the computers there, Dallas Service

[ http://www.lib.siu.edu/departments/iss/contactpanel  what a great guy]

had a bet with me that I couldn't get through the 'At Ease' set up on
the Library Macs;
it took a floppy and a brain about 3 minutes. Mind you, he was happy it
was me rather
than the "get into a system and trash it" brigade.

Were I to be in a similar situation again I would be thoroughly
dictatorial with regard to a
software policy (especially with such virus-prones systems as Microsoft
trots out). Luckily
my school features PCs running Linux with disconnected CD drives and
backward-facing
USB ports so that even the craftier Primary school children cannot
install 'Battle for Wesnoth'
should they even know how to.

Re: App deployment on Windows

Francis Nugent Dixon
Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

This complements Mark's mail  .......

> This should be X:\program files, where X is the start-up drive.

I needed to build file paths on Mac OSX and on Windows,
in my cross-platform SplashStack, so I needed the system
Disk ID for Windows (which MAY NOT be "C").

On Windows XP, I used

"put line 1 of the volumes into MyPCDrive"

which gave the system disk, whatever it was !

On Windows 7, the first entry in the volumes list is "A"
(for some strange reason), and so I had to find an
alternative solution.

Mark came up with a work-around :

"put item 1 of specialfolderpath("system") into Temp"

Then strip out non-useful info to reveal system disk ID.

A sure-fire way of building file paths.

FWIW

- Francis

Re: App deployment on Windows