AppleScript - "Where is System Events"

Ian Wood-3
Sometimes I need to find out what applications are currently running
on a Mac, and I've been using the following code to get a list:

put "tell application" && quote & "System Events" && quote & "to get
name of every process" into tS
do ts as applescript

This normally returns an AppleScript list of application names, but
I've had a couple of people complaining that they are getting prompted
to choose an application with the warning "Where is System Events".

Anyone have any clues?

Ian

Re: AppleScript - "Where is System Events"

sims

On May 1, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Ian Wood wrote:

> Sometimes I need to find out what applications are currently running
> on a Mac, and I've been using the following code to get a list:
>
> put "tell application" && quote & "System Events" && quote & "to get
> name of every process" into tS
> do ts as applescript
>
> This normally returns an AppleScript list of application names, but
> I've had a couple of people complaining that they are getting
> prompted to choose an application with the warning "Where is System
> Events".

It requires 10.3 I think, so maybe those people are using something
under 10.3

sims
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ClipaSearch Pro
http://www.ClipaTools.com

Across Platforms - Code and Culture
http://www.ezpzapps.com/blog/

On 1 May 2008, at 12:29, Jim Sims wrote:

> It requires 10.3 I think, so maybe those people are using something
> under 10.3

If they're running 10.3 or below they can't run Aperture, so I doubt
that that's the problem. :-(

After a bit more digging this may be related to a problem when using
disk-level HD copying:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1163265&tstart=0

Maybe I'll re-write the code to use a shell command instead.

Ian

Re: AppleScript - "Where is System Events"

masmit
I just ran that bit of Applescript, and got the 'where is system
events' dialog - I'm on 10.4.11. (intel mac).

I guess the 'ps' or 'top' commands would work.

Best,

Mark

On 1 May 2008, at 12:37, Ian Wood wrote:

> On 1 May 2008, at 12:29, Jim Sims wrote:
>
>> It requires 10.3 I think, so maybe those people are using
>> something under 10.3
>
> If they're running 10.3 or below they can't run Aperture, so I
> doubt that that's the problem. :-(
>
> After a bit more digging this may be related to a problem when
> using disk-level HD copying:
>
> http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1163265&tstart=0
>
> Maybe I'll re-write the code to use a shell command instead.
>
> Ian

Re: AppleScript - "Where is System Events"

Ian Wood-3
Yes, I think I'll have to redo it using shell("top -l 1 -o +command")
instead.

Ian

On 1 May 2008, at 12:53, Mark Smith wrote:

> I just ran that bit of Applescript, and got the 'where is system
> events' dialog - I'm on 10.4.11. (intel mac).
>
> I guess the 'ps' or 'top' commands would work.

Re: AppleScript - "Where is System Events"

Sarah Reichelt-2
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:18 PM, Ian Wood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sometimes I need to find out what applications are currently running on a
> Mac, and I've been using the following code to get a list:
>
>  put "tell application" && quote & "System Events" && quote & "to get name
> of every process" into tS
>  do ts as applescript
>
>  This normally returns an AppleScript list of application names, but I've
> had a couple of people complaining that they are getting prompted to choose
> an application with the warning "Where is System Events".
>
>  Anyone have any clues?

Yes, you have a space after Events and before the quote so you are
trying to tell app "System Events ", not "System Events".
Change the second double ampersand to a single and it all works fine.

Cheers,
Sarah

On 1 May 2008, at 22:28, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> Yes, you have a space after Events and before the quote so you are
> trying to tell app "System Events ", not "System Events".
> Change the second double ampersand to a single and it all works fine.

THANK you! So it was just a typo...

Ian