Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Michael Pease
Hi:

Does anyone know how I can get the "do script" to work in 2.5.1 and 2.5.1
standalones? They seem to have disappeared from the dictionaries.

Thanks,

mp

Re: Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Jim Ault
Are you trying to talk to Rev using applescript or using Rev to talk to
other programs or Finder?
I am running 2.5.1 on OSX 10.3.9 and can talk to the animals but Rev seems
to be unable to listen.  No one answered my email of 3 weeks ago about this,
so maybe this functionality has disappeared.

I have scripts running in 2.2.1 but nothing in Rev 2.5+

I don't know about 2.6+ since I cannot afford to work with beta versions.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas

On 6/14/05 6:05 PM, "Michael Pease" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Does anyone know how I can get the "do script" to work in 2.5.1 and 2.5.1
> standalones? They seem to have disappeared from the dictionaries.
>
> Thanks,
>
> mp

Re: Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Sarah Reichelt
> Does anyone know how I can get the "do script" to work in 2.5.1 and
> 2.5.1
> standalones? They seem to have disappeared from the dictionaries.

Hi Michael,

Rev doesn't have an AppleScript dictionary that can be read from the
AppleScript Editor. Inside Rev, you can make it do AppleScripts but
assembling your script and then using:

do myScript as AppleScript

If you want to be able to control your app using AppleScripts, you
will need to implement an appleEvents handler that looks for 'dosc'
events coming in.

HTH,
Sarah

Re: Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Klaus major-k
Hi Sarah,

>> Does anyone know how I can get the "do script" to work in 2.5.1
>> and 2.5.1
>> standalones? They seem to have disappeared from the dictionaries.
>>
> Hi Michael,
>
> Rev doesn't have an AppleScript dictionary that can be read from
> the AppleScript Editor.

It actually had until version < 2.5!

With these "terms" available:
-> do script
-> evaluate

But now (version 2.5 and 2.6) it is missing somehow :-/

But what makes it even stranger, it IS PRESENT in Metacard with the
SAME engine!?

Any ideas, Mark?

Maybe this helps:
When I select Revolution in  "Open dictionary" in the AppleScript
Editor, Revolution launches!
but I get no "dictionary".
When I select Metacard (SAME engine!) I get the dictionary with the
above mentioned entries
and Metacard does not launch.

> HTH,
> Sarah

Regards

Klaus Major
[hidden email]
http://www.major-k.de

Re: Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Michael Pease
Hi:

> Are you trying to talk to Rev using applescript or using Rev to talk to
> other programs or Finder?

Both. I can "do... as Applescript" within Rev as normal, but now I can't use
an Applescript outside Rev to tell Rev to activate and "do script x" (a Rev
script, not an Applescript).

I need the ability to tell Rev to start doing something, from outside the
Rev environment. (Mac X 10.3.5).

Re: Applescript - do script not working in 2.5.1 and standalones?

Jim Ault
> I need the ability to tell Rev to start doing something, from outside the
> Rev environment. (Mac X 10.3.5).

All I know at the moment is that

2.2.1/OSX 10.3.8     does what you are wishing for
2.5/OSX 10.3.9    only sends and has no dictionary in Script Editor
2.5.1/OSX 10.3.9    only sends and has a dictionary entry that works but
does not hear anything when trying to compile "tell app "Revolution"

Idea to try... Don't know how this will work in practice, but I can run Rev
2.2.1 at the same time as Rev 2.5.1 AND
scripts compile and run nicely using (tell app "Revoulution 2.2.1")

Thus it could be that you could put the 'receiving' scripts in a stack
opened in 2.2.1, write a text file to a specific folder, then have 2.5.1
watch the folder "if there is a file doCmd.txt then  read it, delete it, use
the contents"

Now 2.2.1 would write the file (with append to stage multiple cmds) when
appropriate, and 2.5.1 would read and discard (or, even better, comment out
and update the file so you could see what 2.5.1 actually did, kinda like a
log file).  This could be a file both apps modify as a communication 'point'

Don't forget to "try on error" in  a loop in case the file is 'busy' for a
moment.

A bit of a work around and I am not sure of how the environment will
function (Standalone, IDE, plugins, databases, etc.)

If you find the answer, let me know.  This would help me as I go down the
road.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas