Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
When I try to play a succession of audioClips they overlap each other.

Is there a way to ensure each clip does not start playing before the
preceding one has finished?

Richmond Mathewson.

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

> Am 09.01.2021 um 15:52 schrieb Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>
> When I try to play a succession of audioClips they overlap each other.
> Is there a way to ensure each clip does not start playing before the preceding one has finished?

do you mean this?
play ac "a_clip.wav"
wait until the sound is "done"
play ac "another_clip.aif"

> Richmond Mathewson.

Best

Klaus

--
Klaus Major
https://www.major-k.de

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Well, Yes, sort of, but I still get an annoying gap between the clips:
they should play sequentially without any pauses . . .

Best, and, while I'm here, wishing you a Happy New Year.

Richmond.

On 9.01.21 16:59, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
>> Am 09.01.2021 um 15:52 schrieb Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> When I try to play a succession of audioClips they overlap each other.
>> Is there a way to ensure each clip does not start playing before the preceding one has finished?
> do you mean this?
> play ac "a_clip.wav"
> wait until the sound is "done"
> play ac "another_clip.aif"
>
>> Richmond Mathewson.
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Erm . . . not sure about this, but the word 'concatenation' just bubbled
up in my brain.

But any concatenation would need to be done on the fly inwith LiveCode.

Having a seriously bonkers patch:

https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/assignments/mozart.html

On 9.01.21 16:59, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
>> Am 09.01.2021 um 15:52 schrieb Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> When I try to play a succession of audioClips they overlap each other.
>> Is there a way to ensure each clip does not start playing before the preceding one has finished?
> do you mean this?
> play ac "a_clip.wav"
> wait until the sound is "done"
> play ac "another_clip.aif"
>
>> Richmond Mathewson.
> Best
>
> Klaus
>
> --
> Klaus Major
> https://www.major-k.de

OT Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Oh my!  I had a minuet generator dongle for my Sinclair Spectrum!!

So that’s how it worked!

> On 9 Jan 2021, at 3:08 pm, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Erm . . . not sure about this, but the word 'concatenation' just bubbled
> up in my brain.
>
> But any concatenation would need to be done on the fly inwith LiveCode.
>
> Having a seriously bonkers patch:
>
> https://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/assignments/mozart.html
>
> On 9.01.21 16:59, Klaus major-k via use-livecode wrote:
>> Hi Richmond,
>>
>>> Am 09.01.2021 um 15:52 schrieb Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> When I try to play a succession of audioClips they overlap each other.
>>> Is there a way to ensure each clip does not start playing before the preceding one has finished?
>> do you mean this?
>> play ac "a_clip.wav"
>> wait until the sound is "done"
>> play ac "another_clip.aif"
>>
>>> Richmond Mathewson.
>> Best
>>
>> Klaus
>>
>> --
>> Klaus Major
>> https://www.major-k.de

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hi Richmond,

Do you know how many seconds in length each clip is?

If so, you could tell it to start a second or two sooner
to help eliminate that pause you are experiencing.

Rick

> On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, Yes, sort of, but I still get an annoying gap between the clips: they should play sequentially without any pauses . . .
>
> Best, and, while I'm here, wishing you a Happy New Year.
>
> Richmond.

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
See the "prepare" entry in the dictionary. It's specifically designed to allow instant playback.

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
Hmm: writing as a lazy slob, I'm not entirely sure if I have the energy
or the motivation to determine the length of 176 wav files.

On 9.01.21 20:54, Rick Harrison via use-livecode wrote:

> Hi Richmond,
>
> Do you know how many seconds in length each clip is?
>
> If so, you could tell it to start a second or two sooner
> to help eliminate that pause you are experiencing.
>
> Rick
>
>> On Jan 9, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Richmond via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, Yes, sort of, but I still get an annoying gap between the clips: they should play sequentially without any pauses . . .
>>
>> Best, and, while I'm here, wishing you a Happy New Year.
>>
>> Richmond.

Re: Audioclips overlapping

Rick Harrison via use-livecode
As

get the length of audioClip "M9.wav"

crashes LiveCode

I wonder of there is a way to determine the length of audioClips reliably?