Autocompletion of quotes on LC 8.2,0 DP-1

Autocompletion of quotes on LC 8.2,0 DP-1

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Folks:
I find that, for the autocompletion of quotes in the new editor, that I’m deleting them as often as I use them. It’s nice to see the text red when quotes are not completed, but ….. I can live with it, but for me, it’s not an improvement.

Other than that, I like it a lot and haven’t found any new bugs yet. EXCEPT for the script editor window moving up the screen every time it’s opened. I have a small handler to reposition it, but ….. I figure that since the project browser doesn’t behave that way, it ought to be easy to just use the positioning code that it uses, for the editor window.

Best,
Bill P

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: Autocompletion of quotes on LC 8.2,0 DP-1

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 12:29 pm, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I find that, for the autocompletion of quotes in the new editor, that I’m deleting them as often as I use them. It’s nice to see the text red when quotes are not completed, but ….. I can live with it, but for me, it’s not an improvement.

I think this is one of those things that we have grown so used to not having it in LC that we automatically type it. Spend some time on other editors and you miss it in LC. Anyway, choose Edit > Options > Bracket Completion from the SE menubar to turn it off.

> Other than that, I like it a lot and haven’t found any new bugs yet. EXCEPT for the script editor window moving up the screen every time it’s opened. I have a small handler to reposition it, but ….. I figure that since the project browser doesn’t behave that way, it ought to be easy to just use the positioning code that it uses, for the editor window.

I haven’t noticed this myself but dod spend some time trying to replicate it. A few people have complained about it. Has it been reported? My suspicion if it is just a Mac issue would be the menubar height is somehow not being taken into account.

Cheers

Monte

Re: Autocompletion of quotes on LC 8.2,0 DP-1

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Bill P. wrote:  I find that, for the autocompletion of quotes in the new editor, that I’m deleting them as often as I use them. It’s nice to see the text red when quotes are not completed, but ….. I can live with it, but for me, it’s not an improvement.
----
I found this also, but wondered then how to make it work. Like Monte says: for so long it was absent we don't use the default behavior to advantage. Just to say the obvious, in case it helps:

Typically the "old way" we may be writing strings and prefer the thought process not be interrupted with the punctuation requirements

answer Some Message with OK

then going back and hitting a quote in front or at the end and getting next to each other in front of the string.

But slowly now changing the "muscle memory" instead of hitting a quote at the end…shift select to the front of the string and *then* hit quote. Bingo. I am actually going through a similar "re-training" in Sublime text where I was not using auto completion to advantage.  It gets even better once you have confidence in the feature… enough to instinctively know that you will be entering a quoted string *before* you start…

answer "|"  and your cursor is placed ready to go.

So, yep.. it's new, yes, seemed like a nuisance at first, but now I like it. Because I think in the end we will be able to write code more effortlessly than ever, which of course was the intent. Point: Bill, you might try not turning it off and see if you can "twig" it (something new I learned from UK.

BR

Re: Autocompletion of quotes on LC 8.2,0 DP-1

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I've run into that in the past, and that issue was that the window shrinks each time a stack is opened. I think that was addressed a long time ago, but what I have done because I have multiple windows and I am finding my windows off screen so often, is I save the rect and loc in a property of the stack when I close it, then on openStack I check to make sure all the coordinates are within the screen rect, and if not I center the window.

Bob S